The MR.com 100% club & perfect ratings in general

whiplash1972

from 2005-2006 archives,

several that almost made it to 100% (which is 'only' 99%) are :

HAREM SCAREM - Overload

MASTERPLAN - Aeronautics

Those two are stunning albums IMHO...

Yeah backed I love both albums, but for me the HS is beaten by a few of their other albums.....for example Higher, s/t, Mood Swings would all rate above this this so I could never give Overload 99%

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doods, I'm 99% sure the debut Farcry did get reviewed on Melodicrock.com. Let me do some digging if I get a spare moment. I think it got somewhere in the mid-80's? 86% or something?

looks like andrew missed that, i can't find any High Gear on his archives :popcorn:

I think I did miss it actually. Sometimes promos arrive late and get swept aside by the latest titles that just need doing asap. In the same situation right now. Don't know where to start....maybe 100 CDs really need reviewing!

BTW - When the new site launches - ALL archive reviews will be listed and searchable A-Z (when I get time to move them over (but all news ones will be immediate) and also searchable via scores etc...

Looking at making a change to how I rate CDs for the new site. Just haven't decided on 1-100 or 1-10.

Doods, I'm 99% sure the debut Farcry did get reviewed on Melodicrock.com. Let me do some digging if I get a spare moment. I think it got somewhere in the mid-80's? 86% or something?

looks like andrew missed that, i can't find any High Gear on his archives :popcorn:

I think I did miss it actually. Sometimes promos arrive late and get swept aside by the latest titles that just need doing asap. In the same situation right now. Don't know where to start....maybe 100 CDs really need reviewing!

BTW - When the new site launches - ALL archive reviews will be listed and searchable A-Z (when I get time to move them over (but all news ones will be immediate) and also searchable via scores etc...

Looking at making a change to how I rate CDs for the new site. Just haven't decided on 1-100 or 1-10.

i think sticking to 1-100 should be fine, that's your signature over these years, but yes, the sorted reviews based on alphabetic will be awesome, because right now we have to load the page all over to search for a specific review :)

I kind of agree with the theory that everyone should have at least 1 single release rated at 100. This gives you a guideline to rate everything else. I mean... if you don't think any release is rated at 100% than how do you know what a rating of 99% or even 89% is? Without a measuring stick these ratings have no meaning.

My single release rated at 100% is TRIUMPH - "Allied Forces". My favorite 5 bands of all time (Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, KIX, Savatage, The Runaways, and SR-71) do not have a release that I would rate at 100%. My highest rated KIX release (Midnight Dynamite) I would only rate at about a 94%... Joan Jett - "Sinner" would be about 93%... Savatage - no idea my favorite release... The Runaways - "Waiting For The Night" would rate about 92%... SR-71 - "Here We Go Again" would come in at about 97%.

I've never been a big fan of Andrew's ratings. Most of the time I prefer a different release by a band to the ones he rates at 100%. For example, I prefer a couple of TNT releases to the one he ranks at 100%. Though not a huge Journey fan I prefer a couple of their releases to the one he ranks at 100%.

Send me some ;)

Out of interest, how many times do you listen to a CD in order to review it?

Wow, that's a hard one. How often can you properly review a disc after a few listens or a week. These days I try not to review anything until I've listened to it for a year or two (and I keep wanting to listen to it). I would hate Andrew's job though. Imagine forcing yourself to listen to crap.... which is why I guess he created the site in the first place, to listen to and spread the word of good music.

No, Geoff is right. It was reviewed in the 'in-brief' section and got 86%. It's nowhere to be found in the archives now though...

I kind of agree with the theory that everyone should have at least 1 single release rated at 100. This gives you a guideline to rate everything else. I mean... if you don't think any release is rated at 100% than how do you know what a rating of 99% or even 89% is? Without a measuring stick these ratings have no meaning.

Quite simply the way I rate an album is to rate each song indivdually (may seen arduous, but is OK when you are looking at 30-40 releases over a year...doesnt really take long).

If a song (for me) is perfect in every way.....from intro to verse to chorus to solo (if there is one) to outro....then I will score it a 10/10. Whilst I would say that there are no perfect albums (100%) I would definitely say that there are perfect songs and lots of them.

For example a couple I would rate as perfect 10/10 songs -

Crown Of Thorns - Dyin For Love

Jeff Scott Solo - Eyes Of Love

However for an ALBUM to be perfect, every song would need to score a 10/10 and that just aint gonna happen.

& if it did I would be a very happy bunny indeed.

Cheers

Wow, that's a hard one. How often can you properly review a disc after a few listens or a week. These days I try not to review anything until I've listened to it for a year or two (and I keep wanting to listen to it). I would hate Andrew's job though. Imagine forcing yourself to listen to crap.... which is why I guess he created the site in the first place, to listen to and spread the word of good music.

That is why I created the site - absolutely!

As for forcing myself to listen to crap....indeed that is the case. But that's another reason why I don't review everything I get!

Geez....anywhere from 5 to 50 listens....over the period of a week or 3 months....depends on how early I get the advance and what kind of record it is. Some only need to be played once!! There are many I have changed my view on over the years after doing my usual repeat-to-be-sure multiple playbacks. A lot of growers out there. But some truly get worse with each listen (Sin-atra for one).

Personally speaking (I know everyone has their own picks), but the review of H.E.A.T's "Freedom Rock" still really surprises/baffles me. 86% overall, with 84% for the production (?!), when stuff like the latest BLANC FACES got 91%, MASTEDON 3 got 95%, FAIR WARNING "Aura" got 90%, SHINING LINE got 91% (the production on that thing was bloody awful), TERRY BROCK got 99%, NELSON got 91% etc etc etc. All albums considerably weaker than the H.E.A.T album, which is frankly right up there with the TREAT disc IMHO and is nearly as good as AOR gets these days. The comments it was too slick/polished/over-harmonised should never be used in relation to AOR!!

Personally speaking (I know everyone has their own picks), but the review of H.E.A.T's "Freedom Rock" still really surprises/baffles me. 86% overall, with 84% for the production (?!), when stuff like the latest BLANC FACES got 91%, MASTEDON 3 got 95%, FAIR WARNING "Aura" got 90%, SHINING LINE got 91% (the production on that thing was bloody awful), TERRY BROCK got 99%, NELSON got 91% etc etc etc. All albums considerably weaker than the H.E.A.T album, which is frankly right up there with the TREAT disc IMHO and is nearly as good as AOR gets these days. The comments it was too slick/polished/over-harmonised should never be used in relation to AOR!!

backed, it was a straight fight between that and First Signal for my album of 2010. Nothing between them really.

NELSON got 91% etc etc etc. All albums considerably weaker than the H.E.A.T album, which is frankly right up there with the TREAT disc IMHO and is nearly as good as AOR gets these days.

See I would rate Nelson so high above HEAT and Treat because I loved that album and thought the other two were ok, but not as great as I was lead to believe.

All a matter of personal choice. I still dont get the big deal about HEAT or that Treat album as I have heard plenty of albums that were the same as those, and they didnt thrill me either.

Give me Organised crime any day of the week over those two.

Geez....anywhere from 5 to 50 listens....over the period of a week or 3 months....depends on how early I get the advance and what kind of record it is. Some only need to be played once!! There are many I have changed my view on over the years after doing my usual repeat-to-be-sure multiple playbacks. A lot of growers out there. But some truly get worse with each listen (Sin-atra for one).

Glad to see that. I read a lot of reviews that seem as if the writer has only played the CD once or twice, which I think is ridiculous - you can't have an in-depth opinion of an album that quickly! What annoys me more is reading reviews by reviewers who confess to not liking the style of music of the CD, then give it a poor rating. Of course they aren't going to like it! Presumably you avoid that?

I thought the production was a step down from the debut...still think so. And I wasn't as into the songs on #2. Sorry!

Gld to see that. I read a lot of reviews that seem as if the writer has only played the CD once or twice, which I think is ridiculous - you can't have an in-depth opinion of an album that quickly! What annoys me more is reading reviews by reviewers who confess to not liking the style of music of the CD, then give it a poor rating. Of course they aren't going to like it! Presumably you avoid that?

I have my favourites and my own personal preferences for sound/style/mood etc...as does everyone, but I try not to bring that into the review. Just stick to the points needed to be made. When it is out of my personal taste I review from the view point of a fan of that artist - would they love this particular album when compared to the band's other releases - and does it stack up against others of the same genre.

As an example - I've never been a Warrant fan, but the new album is bloody terrific as far as melodies, power, production and song writing, so I can't see how any Warrant fan would be disappointed. So it will get a really solid review.

PS. On the subject of # of listens, I HATE how reviews appear for a certain record the NEXT DAY after the promo copies were made available via digital download....right, so how many times did someone listen to that then?!!!!

At the other end of the scale, I take too long :)

Yes, I know I'm waaaaay behind.

PS. On the subject of # of listens, I HATE how reviews appear for a certain record the NEXT DAY after the promo copies were made available via digital download....right, so how many times did someone listen to that then?!!!!

At the other end of the scale, I take too long :)

Yes, I know I'm waaaaay behind.

...especially when those reviews are really gushing, making you want to go out and get the CD, then after 2 or 3 spins you realise it's not all that great.

Taking a long time is much better imo. I like sites where reviews appear for new albums as well as some that are a few years old that we may have overlooked.

I thought the production was a step down from the debut...still think so. And I wasn't as into the songs on #2. Sorry!

I agree with Andrew's assertion of the last H.E.A.T., albeit Freedom Rock had a better collection of songs than the debut, the production and the over the 'topness' on everything gave it no balls whatsoever. A beefy Rock ingredient was missing on much of the album, adding some more heaviness would have really complimented Kenny's killer vocals. With that said the album was easily in my top 10 of 2010...but could have been #1.

I've never been a Warrant fan, but the new album is bloody terrific as far as melodies, power, production and song writing, so I can't see how any Warrant fan would be disappointed. So it will get a really solid review.

But surely if you have never been a Warrant fan but loved this boring release, you can understand why Warrant fans for the most part are disappointed. It had very little going for it as a Warrant album, and is very weak as a melodic rock album. Song writing was sub par at best.

I've never been a Warrant fan, but the new album is bloody terrific as far as melodies, power, production and song writing, so I can't see how any Warrant fan would be disappointed. So it will get a really solid review.

But surely if you have never been a Warrant fan but loved this boring release, you can understand why Warrant fans for the most part are disappointed. It had very little going for it as a Warrant album, and is very weak as a melodic rock album. Song writing was sub par at best.

See I love Warrant and for some reason I love the new album. Sure it doesn't exactly sound like Warrant but to my ears there's at least 8-10 songs I'd consider great and maybe only two fillers for me and Robert sounds great. At first I didn't love the production but now I don't mind it. I'm starting to read more and more great reviews for Rockaholic and although it took me a few spins I now love it as well.

I agree with Andrew's assertion of the last H.E.A.T., albeit Freedom Rock had a better collection of songs than the debut, the production and the over the 'topness' on everything gave it no balls whatsoever. A beefy Rock ingredient was missing on much of the album, adding some more heaviness would have really complimented Kenny's killer vocals. With that said the album was easily in my top 10 of 2010...but could have been #1.

That surprises me given how much you like the last Danger Danger disc. There was no guitar in that mix whatsoever!

I've read nothing but high praise all over the place for the album. This is the first negative I've heard.