The MR.com 100% club & perfect ratings in general

whiplash1972

Its simple for me as to what classifies as a perfect album, and it doesnt include numbers or percentages, it just includes "do I really really like every song on the album?" "Do I keep coming back to the album again and again?"

If the answer to both of these questions is "yes" then for me its a perfect album.

For instance, I absolutely love every song on albums like Appetite for destruction, Leather boyz with electric toys and Dr Feelgood for example. I will still play them for years to come. These for me are perfect (I am no musician so I wont even go into the whole "this song could be improved by...").

They take an album like Lita. Yup, I will still play that album in years to come as I love it, but there is one song on it that really doesnt excite me, so that stops it from being perfect.

Simple really. If people want to tell me I am crazy for calling Leather boyz perfect, or whatever, thats up to them, but its not going to change MY opinion.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all comes down to your own opinion as to what you find or don't find to be perfect and as Howdy said what you consider perfect. I'm not sure if anything is perfect but if I'm going to listen to an album over and over year after year then that's good enough for me. While some don't find Tyketto 'Don't Come Easy' or Vain 'No Respect' to be perfect and others say they both have some fillers I love both albums dearly and will play both for many years to come as i have since they first came out but are they perfect? I have no idea but I love them both and that's enough for me. Iron Maiden's 'Beast' album might have a song or two that's not as good as some of the others but it's a classic to my ears and again even though it's not perfect(whatever that means) it will be played for many years to come just as Sabbath's 'Heaven and Hell' and Dio's 'Holy Diver' will. The word filler gets thrown around a lot but again that's all down to personal opinion where I might call something a filler and someone else might say that's their favorite song on that album. Sorry for the nonsense post......

• My Little Pony

The word filler gets thrown around a lot but again that's all down to personal opinion where I might call something a filler and someone else might say that's their favorite song on that album.

Haha. Yep! I always laugh when a certain few will say, "there were some obvious fillers." Quite often, those 'obvious fillers' are my favourite tracks. I guess I just love shitty music. I mean, obviously.

The word filler gets thrown around a lot but again that's all down to personal opinion where I might call something a filler and someone else might say that's their favorite song on that album.

Haha. Yep! I always laugh when a certain few will say, "there were some obvious fillers." Quite often, those 'obvious fillers' are my favourite tracks. I guess I just love shitty music. I mean, obviously.

Haha I agree. So often someone uses that word and I think to myself that I love that song.

I have to agree with most, no album is worth 100%...it's just not possible. Personally I don't rate albums because I just don't have time these days but love Geoffs idea of having all his music rated...

When I hear the word "filler" on here, I always think of Princess bride. "You keep using that word, I do not think that word means what you think it means" ;)

When I hear the word "filler" on here, I always think of Princess bride. "You keep using that word, I do not think that word means what you think it means" ;)

For me a 'filler' is a track which is poor enough for me to skip

[accepting obviously that other people might like it of course]

Cheers

Simple really. If people want to tell me I am crazy for calling Leather boyz perfect, or whatever, thats up to them, but its not going to change MY opinion.

Not at all. Every now and then I wonder, when I get around to it all, what albums will surprise me by how highly I rate them, and I have 'LBWET' bookmarked, as well as Vain's 'No Respect,' Tuff's 'What Goes Around' and Bang Gang's 'Love Sells.' I probably won't get many people agreeing with that, but I find all 4 discs as close to flawless as I can think of - all brilliant from start to end.

To be fair I wasnt specifically singling that album out as usually being derided etc, could easily have picked Dr Feelgood or whatever. Just more making a point that it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks of an album, its what I think about it that matters to me.

I agree with Howdy...

Of course and album can be perfect....A review is one person's opinion on an album....If you like everything about it and it meet's all your expectations...And you think the artist did a fantastic job...Why can't you give them 100?

Sure...it may not be perfect to somebody else....Everybody has different tastes....There are plenty of reviews that have been perfect where I couldn't stand the album....To be fair though...Most of those I probably wasn't a huge fan of the artist and/or genre of music to begin with.

On the flip side, there have been a few of the 100's that I agree with....The new H.e.a.t album being one of them...Although, I know from the H.e.a.t thread that others obviously don't feel it's perfect. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)

Music is subjective just like other forms of art. People pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for some paintings that I think look like something my 6 year old could do...But apparently somebody thinks they are "perfect" and worth all that money even though I wouldn't pay $10 for them...

To be fair I wasnt specifically singling that album out as usually being derided etc, could easily have picked Dr Feelgood or whatever. Just more making a point that it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks of an album, its what I think about it that matters to me.

Yeah, totally gotten, mate. As I said above, no two people will ever have the same thoughts on any collection of albums and that's cool, completely up to each individual what they like or not. There's two lists of CDs above in this thread, of albums that people consider perfect, and I'd personally not rate those discs over 50% for the most part, but all that goes to prove is that I have very different tastes to the above posters, nothing more, nothing less. :)

Not at all. Every now and then I wonder, when I get around to it all, what albums will surprise me by how highly I rate them, and I have 'LBWET' bookmarked, as well as Vain's 'No Respect,' Tuff's 'What Goes Around' and Bang Gang's 'Love Sells.' I probably won't get many people agreeing with that, but I find all 4 discs as close to flawless as I can think of - all brilliant from start to end.

You'll get me to agree on the Bang Gang and Vain. Not sure how many have heard the Bang Gang but both oh their albums are phenomenal.

Other two are certainly exceptionally good.

I used to have Love sells by Bang Gang but was never overly impressed with it, so I sold it (and next to nobody was interested even though it was listed real cheap, and I had to list it 3 times before it went). But god knows I am not about to tell you guys you are wrong for saying its near perfect/perfect just because it didnt suit me.

• 8 months later...

Man, it's just such a personal and subjective thing, nobody will ever agree, and that's okay.

For me, I have to go WAY back for a couple that rate "nearly" perfect... yet they're not. Here's just one example:

JOURNEY - ESCAPE

Not much needs to be said here. Perhaps THE AOR album vs. which all others are judged (at least in my book). BUT, BUT, BUT... I do NOT like OPEN ARMS. Probably because they played it to death on the radio back in 1981 / 1982 when I was in junior high.

If I could replace OPEN ARMS with FAITHFULLY, then ESCAPE would rate 100% in my book... but that's not possible outside my home-made cassette tapes and or CD-R's.

So, for me, if I am not able to rate ESCAPE 100%, no others have any real chance at all :)

Footnote...

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet and Def Leppard - Hysteria rank right up near the top for me, but that's probably more of a "personal" thing than anything else. The Summer of 1987 was an absolutely magical time in my life, and those two were EVERYWHERE back then. LOTS of incredible memories surrounding those two.

• 5 months later...

Degreed's "Dead But Not Forgotten" has just been given 100%... obviously just personal opinion, as a song I just sampled on YouTube didn't really do anything for me.

I admire Andrew's boundless enthusiasm, he reminds me of the "brilliant kid" sketches from The Fast Show.

... (there's plenty more on YouTube)

Degreed's "Dead But Not Forgotten" has just been given 100%... obviously just personal opinion, as a song I just sampled on YouTube didn't really do anything for me.

I admire Andrew's boundless enthusiasm, he reminds me of the "brilliant kid" sketches from The Fast Show.

... (there's plenty more on YouTube)

:lol:

Yeah, I think Melodicrock.com is far too generous with its ratings. There are some reviewers like that. For example, Fireworks magazine gushes about so many albums it's ridiculous. They can't all be that good. I give the odd 10/10 here and there and it should probably mean an album is perfect, but it doesn't. It just means that in the context of the other albums around, this is so remarkably good, it deserves that recognition. If it was only for perfect albums, the last 100% rating I'd give would be from about 1992!

I've only given two albums in my collection a perfect 10/10 rating:

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
WASP - The Crimson Idol

I've given a few 9.5 ratings (I only rate in 0.5 increments) to albums by Marillion, Dream Theater, U2, Arena and Def Leppard, but there's always something that stops them being perfect.

But it's all down to music preferences... I'm not mad about Melodic Rock, so a great album in that genre would probably get no more than 8.5, as they don't have the same impact on me. A typical album of (say) ten songs, all with catchy tunes and structured the same (intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus, fade-out) is something that entertains me, but at the end of the day it's like "bubblegum rock", chew it for a while and then spit it out until the next time. For me, an album usually has to have a lot more depth and creativity to really elevate it to a much higher score.

I thought Andrew said he wass going to be "tougher" with his ratings?? Yet he still gives out a 100% for Degreed. I love the disc too but it's certainly not a perfect 100% disc. I gave it a 92%.

I thought Andrew said he wass going to be "tougher" with his ratings?? Yet he still gives out a 100% for Degreed. I love the disc too but it's certainly not a perfect 100% disc. I gave it a 92%.

I think the only way he could be tougher is if he ups the maximum to 500%, then he might find it easier to knock off a percent.

:D

My take is this.

100% indicates that an album couldn't be better.

Axl Rose proved that no matter how long you spend trying to get the perfect songs and the perfect sound, it is impossible.

The main thing is that people like different sounds.
Andrew is very AOR, and while I like some, I'm not a die hard. So he will always rate this type of music higher than I would.

My favorite band is Hot Action cop. Most here won't like the, but I would give their ST release a very high score.

Also, over time your taste changes a bit. Some albums I loved and never stopped playing when they first came out I now only tolerate.

Point is - all this rating stuff is very subjective.

I love Dr.Feelgood. The good songs are amazing. But then there's Slice Of Your Pie, Rattlesnake Shake and Sticky Sweet.
Others will like then , but those songs are average for me.

So without those songs the album would get 98%, but with them, maybe 88%, which I suppose would put it in my top 20 of all time.