Bad work experiences

Jacob M.

I went to work Monday night. It was a little out of the ordinary since I'm normally off that night. I wait till 10:00pm and clocked in. I didn't really pay attention to what the screen said and I started to walk off. A co worker said it didn't accept my punch. I thought he was joking so I kept moving. After the meeting I went to check my tasks. There was nothing there. That is a little strange, but I didn't think much of it since the system is new and still has quirks that need to be worked out. I ask the boss and he put me into the system. It was an easy night so I worked my areas and inquired about cbl's (computer training garbage). I had three that were overdue so I did 2 of them before last break. After break I checked the system and nothing was there. I thought that I was free to keep working on cbl's. When I first started working there nobody cared if we stayed till the end of our shift.

I did the last one that was past due and 4 that are due next week. I kept thinking I should go back to the floor, but never did. With about 10 minutes to go I quit the cbl's and decided to check my schedule. I was shocked to find that I was off that night. I didn't know what to think. When I had checked the schedule on the 17th it was clear I worked on the 25th. Sometime between those dates someone changed my schedule. I didn't know because I had no reason to check again. Once a schedule is posted it's supposed to stay the same, isn't it?

I was a bit worried, but decided to clock out. Once I clocked out I decided to go to another computer and double check my schedule. I went down one of the aisles I worked and found they were still zoning. When I saw that I knew I was in deep. I felt awful because an older lady and a 71 year old guy was doing my job for me. At that point there was nothing I could do. I checked my schedule on the other computer and it was the same. Something was really wrong and I wasn't sure what to do.

As I left the building a co worker ask me if the managers ripped into me for not zoning. 10 minutes earlier it was a good night and now management is after me? I was horrified. I got to my car as quickly as I could. I didn't want to find out what nasty surprise was coming next.

Tonight I was scheduled to work, but couldn't because of going in on Monday. I thought they would get that, but surprise surprise I got a call from my boss at 10:30 asking me if I was going to come in. I had to explain to him what happened. I'm sure that's going to fly over well. Like they care. So now I'm in trouble for not zoning and could face punishment for working a day I wasn't even scheduled.

There are so many things wrong with this picture. My horrible night was the result of some ass changing the schedule after it was already set. Since I wasn't in the system nothing was in sync. It was an easy night and yet no one had the time to zone my area? I've zoned other peoples areas for them. If no one had the time why the hell didn't someone come and get me? I don't like doing cbl's anyway. Because I worked a night I wasn't supposed to be there I'm probably in trouble for not being there when I am scheduled.

It should be fun going back to work. I feel like I should be popping Rolaids right now. God bless Walmart, the happiest place on earth.

I went to work Monday night. It was a little out of the ordinary since I'm normally off that night. I wait till 10:00pm and clocked in. I didn't really pay attention to what the screen said and I started to walk off. A co worker said it didn't accept my punch. I thought he was joking so I kept moving. After the meeting I went to check my tasks. There was nothing there. That is a little strange, but I didn't think much of it since the system is new and still has quirks that need to be worked out. I ask the boss and he put me into the system. It was an easy night so I worked my areas and inquired about cbl's (computer training garbage). I had three that were overdue so I did 2 of them before last break. After break I checked the system and nothing was there. I thought that I was free to keep working on cbl's. When I first started working there nobody cared if we stayed till the end of our shift.

I did the last one that was past due and 4 that are due next week. I kept thinking I should go back to the floor, but never did. With about 10 minutes to go I quit the cbl's and decided to check my schedule. I was shocked to find that I was off that night. I didn't know what to think. When I had checked the schedule on the 17th it was clear I worked on the 25th. Sometime between those dates someone changed my schedule. I didn't know because I had no reason to check again. Once a schedule is posted it's supposed to stay the same, isn't it?

I was a bit worried, but decided to clock out. Once I clocked out I decided to go to another computer and double check my schedule. I went down one of the aisles I worked and found they were still zoning. When I saw that I knew I was in deep. I felt awful because an older lady and a 71 year old guy was doing my job for me. At that point there was nothing I could do. I checked my schedule on the other computer and it was the same. Something was really wrong and I wasn't sure what to do.

As I left the building a co worker ask me if the managers ripped into me for not zoning. 10 minutes earlier it was a good night and now management is after me? I was horrified. I got to my car as quickly as I could. I didn't want to find out what nasty surprise was coming next.

Tonight I was scheduled to work, but couldn't because of going in on Monday. I thought they would get that, but surprise surprise I got a call from my boss at 10:30 asking me if I was going to come in. I had to explain to him what happened. I'm sure that's going to fly over well. Like they care. So now I'm in trouble for not zoning and could face punishment for working a day I wasn't even scheduled.

There are so many things wrong with this picture. My horrible night was the result of some ass changing the schedule after it was already set. Since I wasn't in the system nothing was in sync. It was an easy night and yet no one had the time to zone my area? I've zoned other peoples areas for them. If no one had the time why the hell didn't someone come and get me? I don't like doing cbl's anyway. Because I worked a night I wasn't supposed to be there I'm probably in trouble for not being there when I am scheduled.

It should be fun going back to work. I feel like I should be popping Rolaids right now. God bless Walmart, the happiest place on earth.

Seems like a honest mistake, I can't see how they would hold that against you. Seem like a good time to have a union rep, just in case.

Nothing happened after I got to work. I still had plenty to worry about though. A week after I started the guy who trained me was basically forced to quit. A while later one co worker was nearly put on D Day. He managed to talk his way out of it and quickly transferred to maintenance. About a week ago another co worker told me he was put on D Day. This is definetely not a very good place to work. Lots of bad things going on.

Well for the record not all Walmart stores are the same. Depends on who is in charge. If I remember right my wife says you can get wrote up 3 times and then Something like a Decision day. You get the day off to write a essay on why you should keep your job and what you need to do to improve.

From what I have heard from my wife it takes alot to actually get fired and she said those that do usely should have been long ago.

Man this all sounds so foreign to me. If any other Aussies read this, did it make much sense to you? I think it might just be the differences in the countries we is at, but yeah... just couldn't really grasp a lot of that. :lol: Anyway, hope it works out, mate. If I understand it correctly and you just worked a shift you shouldn't have (which baffles me in itself :lol:) instead of one you should have, should be easily explainable, shouldn't it?

You crazy Americans... ;)

One question...even though you went in when you weren't scheduled, why couldn't you go in the next night when you WERE scheduled?

Communication would have gone a long way...

As a former member of a store management team, I'd say that while its unfair that your schedule was changed, once you realise that something has been changed and its going to cause issues, you should have spoken to someone in management straight away.

Honestly, if someone had shown up on a day they were not supposed to work, for whatever reason, and then didnt show on their scheduled shift, they would be in the shit because as said by Marla, its up to you to communicate exactly what has happened and then work out what will happen next. You cannot just assume you wont have to come in on your next shift.

The other thing is, unless their is evidence of the shift being changed or the person who changed it admits it, they only have your word that it has been changed.

Someone made a mistake, its true, but with all the warning signs starting from the moment you clocked in (or rather didnt), you should have spoken to someone.

I cant tell you how many times my shifts used to get changed without my consent, but I always checked on my rota on a daily basis even though I always had it logged in my diary the day it was posted, and immediately questioned anything that either changed or didnt seem right because I know that when it comes down to things like this, its always you that will end up in the shit over it.

P.S. Zoning?

Zoning aka blocking, facing, or recovering is when the store associates go through and straighten the products on the shelves and racks in their designated areas. You pull items to the front of shelves to fill in gaps and make the shelves look full & neat, and also gather any out of place merchandise to return to its proper location in the store. Or at least that's what it was 13 years ago when I last did it.

P.S. Zoning?

Zoning aka blocking, facing, or recovering is when the store associates go through and straighten the products on the shelves and racks in their designated areas. You pull items to the front of shelves to fill in gaps and make the shelves look full & neat, and also gather any out of place merchandise to return to its proper location in the store. Or at least that's what it was 13 years ago when I last did it.

Ahh, ok. Now it makes sense. I've had a lot of different jobs, but never anything store-related.

One question...even though you went in when you weren't scheduled, why couldn't you go in the next night when you WERE scheduled?

Wal-Mart is very strict on how many hours you get. If you go over even 1 minute you are subject to a write up. My wife sometimes works a register which is notorious for causing you to go over in minutes. Cure either extend lunch hour through week to offset it or what ever it takes to make it even out

There schedules now are found also on the internet and I am assuming in the store were they work. Now keep in mind my wife has never mentioned someone changing the schedule but everyweek her hours are changed. They are never the same.

I'd definitely have to agree with that bit too. :)

Man this all sounds so foreign to me. If any other Aussies read this, did it make much sense to you? I think it might just be the differences in the countries we is at, but yeah... just couldn't really grasp a lot of that. :lol: Anyway, hope it works out, mate. If I understand it correctly and you just worked a shift you shouldn't have (which baffles me in itself :lol:) instead of one you should have, should be easily explainable, shouldn't it?

Ditto for me, a confused pom! :unsure:

The reason I reacted in the way I did was because nothing like this had ever happened to me before. I honestly didn't know what the hell was going on. I have always believed that a schedule is concrete. Before last week that had been true. When I saw the schedule and it told me that I worked that night I had no reason to doubt being there. When my co worker said it didn't clock me in I thought he was just messing with me. The people I work with are constantly pulling stunts. The rest of the night I didn't have a problem with the time clock.

You gotta understand how quickly that night turned to a complete nightmare. 10 minutes before time to go I decided to check the new schedule. I'm shocked to find that the schedule says I'm not supposed to be there. Surely the computer must not be working right? I knew what my schedule was and I was supposed to be there. I had checked and re-checked it multiple times. It was not possible that something like that could be happening to me.

I did not understand what was going on. I believed it was just a computer error. A couple minutes til 7:00 I clocked out and decided to go check the computer in produce. While cutting through my aisle I get blindsided by the fact that my area had not been completed. I admit that was stupid on my part. Never assume anything will get done (no matter how many other peoples areas you have taken care of). Then I get to the other computer and my fears are confirmed. Something had changed. My co worker (the same guy who narrowly escaped D Day) telling me the bosses were after me was icing on the cake. My thoughts were racing and I felt nauseous. I couldn't take any more. I had to get out of there.

Around 6:50 everything appeared to be a good night. Before 7:05 everything had turned into a nightmarish hell.

They flipped the days. I was supposed to work Monday and have Tuesday and Wednesday off. After they changed it I was off on Monday and Tuesday and back to work on Wednesday. I suppose I could have gone over on Tuesday night and talked to the managers about it. That could have led to more confusion since the other set of managers were there on Wednesday.

I should have called Wednesday night. I didn't because my experience at Walmart in Texas led me to believe I didn't need to. At that store people worked when they weren't supposed to and didn't go in when they were. Nothing ever happened to us. I had actually been instructed by certain managers to do that. Work the schedule you are supposed to have and the system will eventually fix itself. Guess that doesn't apply at this store.

Last week I worked a full 40 hours. If I would have gone in on Wednesday night I would have been way over 40 hours. If they get pissed about 20 minutes of OT could you imagine the reaction to 8 hours?

As a former member of a store management team, I'd say that while its unfair that your schedule was changed, once you realise that something has been changed and its going to cause issues, you should have spoken to someone in management straight away.

Honestly, if someone had shown up on a day they were not supposed to work, for whatever reason, and then didnt show on their scheduled shift, they would be in the shit because as said by Marla, its up to you to communicate exactly what has happened and then work out what will happen next. You cannot just assume you wont have to come in on your next shift.

The other thing is, unless their is evidence of the shift being changed or the person who changed it admits it, they only have your word that it has been changed.

Someone made a mistake, its true, but with all the warning signs starting from the moment you clocked in (or rather didnt), you should have spoken to someone.

I cant tell you how many times my shifts used to get changed without my consent, but I always checked on my rota on a daily basis even though I always had it logged in my diary the day it was posted, and immediately questioned anything that either changed or didnt seem right because I know that when it comes down to things like this, its always you that will end up in the shit over it.

I don't work fast food and I'm not a doctor. My schedule doesn't change from day to day and I'm not on call. They tell me what days to come in, I stock shelves, and I leave. It's as simple as that. I shouldn't have to constantly check the schedule. It should only change with extinuating circumstances. They shouldn't be able to change it willy nilly. If they can do that then what rights do I have? I would no longer be able to plan anything in advance, not even a week before. Would I even be able to plan something a day in advance? If they needed someone bad enough they could just call me in on my day off with no notice (as long as it's a week I'm scheduled for 32 hours).

I am a part time employee and I think they have been testing me. My co worker who started the same day as me has been tested. She's a part time employee and they had been working her 6 days in a row. They had totally been screwing her over. She told me she was scheduled to work and she told everybody she wasn't going to come in that night. She didn't and nothing happened. She also told me that if they didn't fix her schedule she was quitting. They were completely taking advantage of her. Nobody works 6 days in a row. Her days off had also been split. If she disappears I guess I know what caused it.

So there you go. You say your schedule doesnt change, yet when it did, you didnt question it.

You have to realise that mistakes happen and that nobody is perfect (including the computer systems), and should have questioned it straight away.

Also, your attitude that only doctors and fast food is somehow subject to change, is not really on the ball. Retail is a sector that is always in a state of flux worldwide, and as such things change all the time.

Employees cannot bury their head in the sand and say that it is not their responsibility to check things and as far as planning something in advance goes, thats why you have to communicate, and not run off when you hear the managers are angry with you.

As I say, its not all your fault, but you have to understand that take responsibilty for things for your own benefit. Covering your own arse is more important at this time than anytime due to the current financial situation in the world. Yes, they have you over a barrel in certain aspects, but why drop your trousers and let them take you from behind by not taking responsibility for regularly checking your own rota or speaking to people when there is an issue?

After reading through this I have this to add...never assume anything and communication solves many problems. Two things that will help make life better in the future. :)

After reading through this I have this to add...never assume anything and communication solves many problems. Two things that will help make life better in the future. :)

I knew I could have said it in less words ... ha ha.

Ditto for me, a confused pom! :unsure:

Me too

I knew I could have said it in less words ... ha ha.

Yes, but your explanation is very well written :tumbsup:

At my old job, the supervisors changed the schedules multiple times a day, but yet would tell you that it's YOUR responsibility to know when you work. The funny thing was that they'd change it on people who had already left work for the day and didn't realize that some twit changed their working/off days around and then they had no way of knowing that they were supposed to be at work. The supervisors would even write them up for it, but it usually wouldn't go far. As far as I'm concerned, once a schedule is made, it's made. People see it, they make note of their days off and thats it. If a supervisor has to change it for some reason, at least have the courtesy to notify the specific person that it affects or you shouldn't be able to use it against them.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Everytime I have a bad work experience I glare across at our team secretary, who has knockers so large she can barely keep balance when walking, and it makes the world seem okay again. I'm just sorry that everyone's not quite as fickle as I am...