FarCry - Optimism

Hey there... yes that's right I only post when I want something... ;)

But seriously, the preorders are up and running and will be shipping late May (yes, in the year 2011...). If you liked the first FarCry release, "High Gear" I daresay you'll like this one even more. The band had a lot more input, and is firing on all cylinders. I hope you'll check it out! You can pick it up at either of the following locations:

FarCry Website

Kivel Records Website

FarCry_Final_600_Tweakscopy.jpg

Cool beans Pete.

Bout time you came sniffin' round again... but I suspect you will use the "I was in the studio." excuse. :christmas:

Actually I was taking a really long nap... ;)

How're you doing Terry?

Cool, cool, cool man. Unfortunately it looks like family/financial issues will leave me unable to attend the release party for the disc, but I'll be there in spirit. (Long story, I don't wanna get into it right now...) Story of my life. The Great Blue Charvel will practically be in my friggin backyard and I won't be there :crying:

I'll be on for a pre-order real soon!!

There's only 3 albums this year that i'll be buying 'blind'.....and thats Journey, Work Of Art and Farcry!!

Cheers mate!

:spam4:

It's what I do best... ;)

Hey, thank you everyone for the kind words, (and the orders!). Especially those of you making an exception and buying blind. I daresay you won't be disappointed if you liked "High Gear", we certainly did not go "experimental" or anything on this one. Just more melodic hard rock with a splash of AOR and a hint of crossover much like the first release! The main difference on this one is the cohesiveness of the band IMO. I think that rehearsing and playing live with these guys over the last couple years has really made a positive impact on the tightness of the final product, but of course y'all will have to be the judge of that. Very much looking forward to the comments once it's out!

After the quality of the first one, I'd buy this blind too. Btw: when you say 'the band were more involved this time around', does that mean the label had a big influence over the first one?

After the quality of the first one, I'd buy this blind too. Btw: when you say 'the band were more involved this time around', does that mean the label had a big influence over the first one?

Absolutely, and the label continues to have an influence, which is part of what John's vision is for the bands on his label. But whereas the first release included more outside songwriting and band members that had never played the material live, this release has much more in the way of band contributed material as well as a band that's hung out, rehearsed extensively, and played live together. Overall I think it breathes more life into something that was already very good, and now all that much better... I hope! ;)

Absolutely, and the label continues to have an influence, which is part of what John's vision is for the bands on his label. But whereas the first release included more outside songwriting and band members that had never played the material live, this release has much more in the way of band contributed material as well as a band that's hung out, rehearsed extensively, and played live together. Overall I think it breathes more life into something that was already very good, and now all that much better... I hope! ;)

well judging on many Kivel releases that I like such as your old band Rockarma, along with the other names like Damn Cheetah, Goodbye Thrill, Talon, and TNA, I trust John's taste and influence :)

well judging on many Kivel releases that I like such as your old band Rockarma, along with the other names like Damn Cheetah, Goodbye Thrill, Talon, and TNA, I trust John's taste and influence :)

Agree, I wasn't suggesting this was a bad thing. If I owned a Melodic Rock label I'd want to keep a close eye on the bands I sign to make sure they're not tempted to hop on the nearest bandwagon. At the end of the day, as a listener, as long as I'm buying good music I don't care who influenced the sound/style...

Agree, I wasn't suggesting this was a bad thing. If I owned a Melodic Rock label I'd want to keep a close eye on the bands I sign to make sure they're not tempted to hop on the nearest bandwagon. At the end of the day, as a listener, as long as I'm buying good music I don't care who influenced the sound/style...

That's exactly where John is coming from, and it's amazing just how many musicians can't grasp that. A lot of these guys think "it's all about the band dude, we all have equal say"... um yeah... right... hell even before I was on a label, that was never the case in any band I've been in except maybe the very first one. Someone always ends up in a leadership role or has expertise in one area of responsibility, etc. With John's label, he has a vision, I believe it's a good one and the icing on the cake is he's paying for it too. It's an investment, why shouldn't he have a say in it? All of those things combined are why I stay on the label, John brings a lot to the table. Could I do it all myself? Probably, but it's not nearly as easy as many people seem to think, and quite honestly I like the fact that someone outside the band has input, he's not as biased or emotionally attached to what we create or play. It's all a group effort, and then you add a great producer like Ty Sims into the mix (literally) and without a doubt this is EASILY the best stuff I've EVER been involved in.

After saying all that, I sure hope everyone likes "Optimism", but if not...

...it's Kivel's fault. ;)

That's exactly where John is coming from, and it's amazing just how many musicians can't grasp that. A lot of these guys think "it's all about the band dude, we all have equal say"... um yeah... right... hell even before I was on a label, that was never the case in any band I've been in except maybe the very first one. Someone always ends up in a leadership role or has expertise in one area of responsibility, etc. With John's label, he has a vision, I believe it's a good one and the icing on the cake is he's paying for it too. It's an investment, why shouldn't he have a say in it? All of those things combined are why I stay on the label, John brings a lot to the table. Could I do it all myself? Probably, but it's not nearly as easy as many people seem to think, and quite honestly I like the fact that someone outside the band has input, he's not as biased or emotionally attached to what we create or play. It's all a group effort, and then you add a great producer like Ty Sims into the mix (literally) and without a doubt this is EASILY the best stuff I've EVER been involved in.

After saying all that, I sure hope everyone likes "Optimism", but if not...

...it's Kivel's fault. ;)

lol. roll on end May!

I was wondering when you'd post about pre-orders.....uh...I guess I missed this post by a week, my hawk like awareness failing me (yet again) :lol: But no panic, ordered it earlier from Kivel.

"we certainly did not go "experimental" or anything " - Actually I was hoping for some avante garde jazz infused extended jams with ambient leanings ...but I guess a healthy dose of top notch melodic rock will have to do....sigh!

Actually I was hoping for some avante garde jazz infused extended jams with ambient leanings

Oh, we did that... I mean we didn't go REALLY experimental or anything... ;)

So the Yak squeals are out then!