F%@K NELSON

LV KIX

Just my little rant in defense of a local club owner/friend. Jaxx Night Club in Springfield, VA. sued Gunner Nelson due to remarks made by Gunnar which hurt the cubs ability to book future shows.

Rocker Gunnar Nelson is facing a lawsuit from a club owner who alleges comments made about him by the musician have ruined his business. Here is a short article:

Gunnar Nelson, who sang with his twin brother Matthew in their 1990s heyday, performed at Jaxx nightclub in Springfield, Virginia in 2008 and blasted the venue in an article that was published last August (10).

In the story Nelson described playing at the venue as the "lowpoint" of his music career and claimed owner Jay Nedry still owes him $8,000 for the performance.

But now Nedry has blasted the remarks, and he filed legal papers at Los Angeles County Superior Court earlier this month (Feb11), suing Nelson for $25,000, reports TMZ.com.

His lawyers allege the allegations made are "irrational, untrue, and slanderous diatribe" and that they "have had a great negative impact upon Nedry's personal and business reputation, as well as that of Jaxx Nightclub by deterring persons from dealing with him individually and the club.".

F%#K Gunnar Nelson... Calling playing Jaxx a low point in his life. At this point in his life he is lucky to even be able to find a club to play in. He is going to bash a club that has stayed true to the 80's Rock since the 80's..? Now obviously I don't know every detail.. But here is what I do know:

Jay (the owner of Jaxx) is a great guy and a stand up person in general. While all other clubs were closing down or changing formats Jay stuck with the bands that we all love. Jay was a touring musician himself, I know he treats the bands with respect. Jay still books the best available bands to play his club. A lot of these bands he books don't draw huge crowds but that doesn't stop him from booking the bands he likes. Just a few of the bands that have played Jaxx within the last year or two are KIX, Ratt, Lillian Axe, Lizzy Borden, Doro, Y&T, and MSG. When Savatage decided to play 2 shows in the USA about 10-12 years ago.. they chose Jaxx. Doro, who plays a very limited US schedule always plays Jaxx. Here are some bands Jaxx has scheduled over the next couple months.. KIX (2 nights), Accept, UFO, Loudness, ZO2, and Overkill. Many of these bands play Jaxx every time they tour.. KIX, Overkill, Doro, ZO2, Ratt, Lizzy Borden and Y&T to name a few. Simple fact, these bands surely wouldn't keep coming back if they were not getting paid.

And as far as Gunnar saying that playing Jaxx was the low point in his career... are you kidding me? What about adding Mark Slaughter to your band so anyone would even care if you toured? What about playing a free show to about 35 people in the parking lot of a Best Buy in Ohio? What about touring as a tribute act to your father and playing only his songs? Nelson is luck to even be able to play a club like Jaxx. And this may just top it all.. How about headlining a annual bluegrass Festival..?

I hope Jay is able to win this suit.. if he does.. I'm sure he will put it right back into booking bands and making improvements to the club.

Sorry for the rant... but isn't that what this thread section of HH about..?

F%*K NELSON... :2up:

JAXX is a great club that I've been to many times over the years. I don't know the owner personally, but I think the bands he books are always great.

So I have to agree with you LVKix.....

FUCK NELSON!!!! :2up:

I've never been to Jaxx, but I'll say "F**K NELSON" too... just cuz I never liked 'em anyway <_<

The original article appeared in the DC Examiner and was written by Kimberly Reed - DC Concerts Examiner. Looks like she pulled her original story and gave this follow-up:

Update on the situation between Jaxx and Gunnar Nelson

* August 20th, 2010 2:38 pm ET

Jaxx Nightclub did not have an opportunity to comment on the original article before it went live online. We apologize for the oversight. No harm was intended.

According to Jaxx the Nelsons were paid in full the night of the concert.

The article, "Gunnar Nelson discusses an unfortunate situation at Jaxx; Calls the club the lowpoint of his career" published on August 20th is retracted completely and unqualified.

Kimberly Reed

DC Concerts Examiner

$8000 owed.

Did they play 12 shows there?

My thoughts exactly.. if they got half up front and are still owed $8000.00... come on... Nelson? There is now way in Hell Jay would agree to pay Nelson $16,000 total. I know what a few other of the bands that play there make... and it isn't close to that.

I'm sure I'll talk to Jay this weekend at the KIX shows at Jaxx. Not sure if he will be allowed to talk about the case but I'd be curious to hear an update.

Well here's my two cents. I love Nelson, always have always will. And while they do act a bit childish or Holier than thou...I can't imagine anything the Nelson twins would have said would cause this much damage. Like everyone has said at one time or another, no body listens to them anyway right?

Idk, I'm not a lawyer or a member of either party but it's tough for me to swallow. Not to offend anyone, but just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth :)

I agree. I dont see how comments made by Nelson on a news site which is even that big, would have any effect on the loss of business.

Maybe there is truth to what Gunnar claims, maybe there isnt, but to blame him for that much of a loss of business just doesnt sound right either.

And anyway, bands are always slagging off venues & promoters etc, its nothing new, and most people dont take any notice of it.

LV Kix mentions a bunch of bands that play there regularly, so if they continue to do so, and say good things about the place, how is one artist going to deter anyone other than their closest buddies from playing there?

Also, I doubt the ticket buying public give a shit whether one band has a beef with a venue or not.

I think too much power is being given to one mans statement in what should just be a plain and simple libel/slander case. Loss of money just doesnt sound feasible.

I agree. I dont see how comments made by Nelson on a news site which is even that big, would have any effect on the loss of business.

Maybe there is truth to what Gunnar claims, maybe there isnt, but to blame him for that much of a loss of business just doesnt sound right either.

And anyway, bands are always slagging off venues & promoters etc, its nothing new, and most people dont take any notice of it.

LV Kix mentions a bunch of bands that play there regularly, so if they continue to do so, and say good things about the place, how is one artist going to deter anyone other than their closest buddies from playing there?

Also, I doubt the ticket buying public give a shit whether one band has a beef with a venue or not.

I think too much power is being given to one mans statement in what should just be a plain and simple libel/slander case. Loss of money just doesnt sound feasible.

It is very probable that bands who share Nelsons booking agent or manager would not schedule this venue based on what BB-Gunnar has said. There are not that many 80's bands still touring on a regular basis for a club to lose ANY possible shows. Seems really strange that this little club that has been in business for well over 25 years wouldn't have had a problem like this in the past. I'd be willing to bet my entire CD collection that Nelson got paid what they were suppose to. If they didn't.. why didn't they sue Jaxx instead..?

Again... FUCK NELSON. :2up:

It is very probable that bands who share Nelsons booking agent or manager would not schedule this venue based on what BB-Gunnar has said. There are not that many 80's bands still touring on a regular basis for a club to lose ANY possible shows. Seems really strange that this little club that has been in business for well over 25 years wouldn't have had a problem like this in the past. I'd be willing to bet my entire CD collection that Nelson got paid what they were suppose to. If they didn't.. why didn't they sue Jaxx instead..?

Again... FUCK NELSON. :2up:

And you may very well be right. Nobody really knows but those parties. Just to play devils advocate, who's to say the business wasn't going under before this happened and this is an excuse to use? Business' unually don't just fold over night. I'm sure the truth is in the middle somewhere and I'm not saying Gunner isn't a wank. I'm just saying that there has to be more to this.

I agree. It just seems too much that the word of one band who really aint that big would have that much effect.

And to be fair, as much as I would love a venue that only plays 80s music, the fact that as stated, their are not that many 80s bands touring regularly enough would suggest to me that that is why they are struggling.

This is why few venues tie themselves down to a single music genre.

I love the Underworld in Camden as I have seen everyone from Pretty Boy Floyd to the Bulletboys to Adlers Appetite and many more 80s or 80s inspired bands, but they do not limit themselves to one style of rock music, and even have non rock bands there. That doesnt stop it being recognised amongst the rock faithful as being a great venue to see 80s bands.

I honestly think that any club that limits itself so much in what it plays is just asking for trouble, sadly.

Jaxx by no stretch of the imagination ONLY books 80's band. One look at the schedule will show you that... http://jaxxroxx.com/oldstylecal10.html

But there are not many clubs left in The States that book as many 80's acts as Jaxx. There is no way of telling how much (if any) money may be lost by the club to do the comments made. If Nelson wasn't paid by Jay (Jaxx) a total of $8,000 by Jaxx they would have sued the club. Thats a huge chunk of cash for a 80's band to walk away from and not do anything about it. If there was a written contract it would be a cut and dry case..

Jay is not hurting for money... He recently opened up another club in town so that local bands would have a place to showcase their talents. Like I said before, the owner was a touring musician.. he is very much about the artist. Jay's band occasionally reunites to play his club. The vocalist of his band is Phil McCormick, now the vocalist for Molly Hatchet for years. Just don't think he would sue another musician unless there was just cause.

Who knows... maybe I'll even go and see Nelson play a set of covers from their father in front of a Best Buy somewhere.

Jaxx by no stretch of the imagination ONLY books 80's band. One look at the schedule will show you that... http://jaxxroxx.com/oldstylecal10.html

But there are not many clubs left in The States that book as many 80's acts as Jaxx. There is no way of telling how much (if any) money may be lost by the club to do the comments made. If Nelson wasn't paid by Jay (Jaxx) a total of $8,000 by Jaxx they would have sued the club. Thats a huge chunk of cash for a 80's band to walk away from and not do anything about it. If there was a written contract it would be a cut and dry case..

Jay is not hurting for money... He recently opened up another club in town so that local bands would have a place to showcase their talents. Like I said before, the owner was a touring musician.. he is very much about the artist. Jay's band occasionally reunites to play his club. The vocalist of his band is Phil McCormick, now the vocalist for Molly Hatchet for years. Just don't think he would sue another musician unless there was just cause.

Who knows... maybe I'll even go and see Nelson play a set of covers from their father in front of a Best Buy somewhere.

All this just proves to me that his losses from these comments would be minimal. If there really are that few 80s bands that play there and all those other style bands play there, is he really going to lose a whole chunk of change by comments from a band you think will be playing in front of a supermarket?

As for musicians not suing musicians unless their is just cause ... thats just not how the music industry works.

If one musician, promoter or whatever is pissed off with another musician, they would try to sue them for farting in their airspace.

I'm not saying either party is in the right or wrong, just that some of the case sounds like its over exagerated, which is just about normal for the music business.

Ahahah Gunnar is quoting it as the low point in their career! Obviously they haven't counted Because They Can and Like Father Like Sons!

Yeah they're REAL GOOD albums....really .. no really they are good.....nah they're total shit!

I'll just tune in when they're on Sweet Life on Deck!

Sorry guys just had to comment...back to the punch up! :lol:

I feel like I'm not welcome here:-)

lol

I don't mind 'Because they can' either... in places. Overall I guess it's not great at all, but 'Won't walk away' and the song where they count in the chorus is great too.

Looks like this may be settled out of court. It seems as though proof was presented that Nelson was paid the full amount of the contract, therefor his remarks were false. Slander is grounds for a suit and I guess Gunnar's attorney agreed it would be best to settle out of court and pay. Not sure what the amount of the settlement is.

Ahahah Gunnar is quoting it as the low point in their career! Obviously they haven't counted Because They Can and Like Father Like Sons!

Yeah they're REAL GOOD albums....really .. no really they are good.....nah they're total shit!

Actually, Because they can is a great album, and the Like father like sons, well you can hardly criticize the boys for wanting to faithfully pay tribute to their father. Plus, if the description of the album and the name of the album didnt tell you that the songs would be done in the style of their father, well thats hardly the brothers faults now is it.

Actually, Because they can is a great album, and the Like father like sons, well you can hardly criticize the boys for wanting to faithfully pay tribute to their father. Plus, if the description of the album and the name of the album didnt tell you that the songs would be done in the style of their father, well thats hardly the brothers faults now is it.

I never understood what the fuss was about when it came out. Yeah of course I noticed it was more laid back than the first album but I thought it was excellent. I would say if I remember correctly it didn't leave my cd player for 9 months or so. Still love it today. In fact, all of their releases prior to the country/ father tribute are phenominal imo. The new one is still growing on me....I need to give it more attention.

Sorry guys, I still think those albums blow...but haven't sold them so that says something I guess. I don't mind the songs on Because They Can toooooo much individually - but a whole album of them and my mind starts wandering elsewhere (and this from a guy who likes Topographic Oceans!).

Much prefer Nelsons "heavier" stuff.