Quiet Riot to return with new vocalist

Fat Freddy

Pinched this from another forum, not sure of the source. (*EDIT: It's on Blabbermouth.) I could've sworn I had read a statement from Banali a while ago saying that QR would not continue without Kevin, but here ya go. All I can say is good luck, Frankie, you're probably gonna need it.

qr2010.jpg

After the tragic passing of co-founding Quiet Riot singer Kevin DuBrow in 2007, many figured that the band was over. But while going through the vaults of vintage video material for an upcoming documentary of the band's history, the spark was reignited once more for drummer Frankie Banali to kick the band back in gear. The easy part was filling the guitar and bass slots - as former members Chuck Wright (bass) and Alex Grossi (guitar) promptly signed on. However, having to fill DuBrow's large shoes was no small task.

A longtime fan of heavy metal, singer Mark Huff came to Banali's attention while fronting a California-based Van Halen tribute band (that focused on the "Sammy Hagar era"). A true Cinderella story, Huff auditioned via a cattle call audition, promptly blew Banali away, and got the gig. After getting the blessing from DuBrow's mother to carry on with Quiet Riot (and to celebrate her son's music), the group was ready to rock once more.

Quiet Riot had major success with their first-ever US release in 1983, the classic 'Metal Health.' Spawning two hit singles that have gone on to become synonymous with heavy metal - "Cum On Feel the Noize" and "Metal Health" - the 'Metal Health' album went on to become the first-ever metal US debut to hit the #1 spot on the Billboard album charts, and resulted in a solid year of sold-out arena shows and non-stop MTV video airplay. However, it was the DuBrow-Banali-Wright-Grossi line-up that proved to be DuBrow's favorite touring line-up (and also, most stable).

Quiet Riot is currently firming up plans for a full U.S. tour - their first in three years. And with the aforementioned documentary on the horizon, and the band's music being used in hit films ('The Wrestler,' 'Tropic Thunder'), video games ('Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's'), and even musicals ('Rock of Ages') - as well as QR being name-checked in songs by Weezer and Ben Folds - Quiet Riot remains a major force in heavy metal. And soon, you will get a chance to bang your head once more to Quiet Riot, at a concert venue near you.

A sample of New Guy singing a medley of classic QR tracks can be found at their MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/officialquietriot

Sounds...ehhhh, I dunno, OK I guess. I don't know if I'd buy a new CD from this lineup, but what the hell, if they came thru my area I might go to jam out to the oldies.

tbh if I wasnt told that was Mark Huff on vox instead of Kevin, I wouldnt have known any difference. Sounds like a dead ringer.

Well, they did find him in a tribute band...those guys are used to sounding like someone else. :lol:

Am I the only one who thinks the raspiness to Mark's voice is VERY similar to Blackie Lawless? It really stands out on "Metal Health"... anyway, sounds good to me. :beerbang:

What about Shortino? I thought the album he was on was great.

So did I. The best QR album by some way imho.

Shortino is with the new King Korbra with Carmine, Mick Sweeda, David Michael Phillips and Johnny Rod. They've been working on a new release.

I too am on the Shortino bandwagon, I thought they should have recruited him back...

Very few vocalists come close to Shortino imo, this would have been a 'must buy' if he'd been on board. Glad to hear he's working on something at the moment.

Too much money to be made when you have a household name like Quiet Riot.

I dunno. How much $$ could there honestly be for a band with only one "original" member (and technically Banali's not even the original drummer - so I guess you could say one member of the "classic" lineup)? Does the county fair circuit really pay that well?

Shoot, it would probably do better business if they called it "METAL HEALTH: A TRIBUTE TO QUIET RIOT FEATURING FRANKIE BANALI"

Too much money to be made when you have a household name like Quiet Riot.

I dunno. How much $$ could there honestly be for a band with only one "original" member (and technically Banali's not even the original drummer - so I guess you could say one member of the "classic" lineup)? Does the county fair circuit really pay that well?

Shoot, it would probably do better business if they called it "METAL HEALTH: A TRIBUTE TO QUIET RIOT FEATURING FRANKIE BANALI"

County fairs must pay well: this month Queensryche and Tesla will play at my locale fair and tix start at $45.00 and go up from there...

As for QR: Make a record don't make a record... doesn't really matter in the greater skeem of things. Will it/could it be good? Sure, but chances are it won't be nominated for a grammy, won't sell more than a few hundred copies and will be the topic of discussion for a week or two until the handful of people who "care" move on to the next flaver of the week.

As Keith mentioned the Banali QR Tribute Band would work best, especially if he could pull together ALL the former members for a "We Were Quiet Riot" kinda thing.

I like Shortino, but I didn't feel like he was the right fit for QR, even on the album he did with them... He's got a nice bluesy voice, but not enough growl/snarl to be fronting QR. This new guy has a cool voice and it'll be interesting to see what he brings to the table.

I pretty much agree with that.

Nothing wrong with Shortino, but the album he did just doesnt sound like QR to me (which is weird when you consider that was the first QR album I ever owned).

I can honestly say, of all the studio albums, that is my least favourite.

On the subject of Banali continuing with the name because its a money earner ... I seriously doubt it is.

For starters, after the huge success of Metal Health, the band quick sunk to the lower end of the popularity scale, and the band were never the huge stars that so many other bands of their genre became.

On top of that, if it was a guaranteed money maker, how come Banali had to beg fans on Facebook to donate the money to do this documentary he is working on?

If it was a guaranteed money spinner, he would have been able to finance the documentary himself.

It's nice that Kevin's mom has given her blessing but it would better if Cavazo was involved. I know Grossi had been with the band off and on for a few years before Kevin's death but Cavazo would make things better IMO. Sarzo is probably available now since Dio's passing but Chuck Wright was in the band almost the same amount of time so that's not a big deal. I also agree that with the statement above about the "tribute to" in front of the band name.

• 3 months later...