Is anyone really finding gems at pawn shops anymore?

rockdoc

I have been pawning for the last couple weeks all over and man the bins are cleared out . I have talked to the owners and they said not to many CD's coming in especially 80's -90's metal . Some are going by the years of the CD's that they take in. So just wondering is anyone having bad luck like I am . I have found a few gems but nothing like a few months ago . Last year at this time I was getting tons of cool stuff........

In a word...no. I haven't found anything good in a pawn shop for a long time. :( Used cd stores are still a decent source of surprise finds occasionally but other than that it's pretty bad (in this area anyway).

Yep, same in Australia. I just don't bother anymore and it's not just because I don't have money to spend - there is just nothing out there anymore anyway. :(

Most of the pawn shops I've been in said they don't do CD's anymore.

Most pawn shops nationwide have stopped taking in cds period.

That said I never find jack shit anymore anywhere.

I used to see some good stuff occasionally at some used cd stores I'd frequent when I lived in Illinois but then that sourse seemed to dry up. Of course even when I do find something used they always seem to be much more expensive than they used to do be and usually cost anywhere from $7.99 to $9.99 used when I used to find stuff around the $2 to $4 range.

Since I've been in Wyoming I haven't found to much at all worth talking about. Of course I've never really went out on a long cd hunt since most towns here are hours and hours away from each other. There might be some gems hiding in some pawn shops in some these small towns but I'd have to take a few days of work off to take in a long hunting trip.

Come across a few good finds but nothing too rare and pickings are getting thinner year by year.

nobody is selling at pawn shops cause they sell on ebay now ,everone is doing that . Here a couple weeks ago a guy had a Kidd Wikkid , his feedback was zero . The description read as if he did not know to much about it .. All you have to do is push a button and if it is there google will find it for you . I use to love going to the pawn shops and go through the bins my heart would be beating a hundred miles and hour and I would come out with some killer stuff for like $2 bucks a CD ..I have notice in my efforts of pawning the CD stores are closing very fast , like one dude said they were in there . But most picked what they wanted and said no to the rest . I just miss that rush it was killer !!

Maybe it's my low standards, but Seattle surprises me daily. Still a pretty good place with many stores to chose from!

That said STAY AWAY! :)

:lol:

I hit the local pawnshops about once a year. Literally all of them in one day. I went a while back and found nothing. I am pretty particular about the condition. Most of the ones I do see are pretty trashed. I usually only try to pick up things that I don't have. The cd stores carry cds in great shape but the selection for 80's hard rock is very slim. Usually just common stuff like Bon Jovi and the like. I usually hit ebay, gemm,or amazon for out of print stuff.

Hi,in the uk we have charity shops.no i must say back in 90`s and the early part of 2001 u could pick gems up for around $2 each for example i picked up copies of kill city dragons,silent rage shatterd hearts org around 1999 this was .but with eaby growing most shops and second hand ones too op for eaby rather than put them out in shops.shame i say..mitch

Most of the pawn shops I've been in said they don't do CD's anymore.

Yeah!

My sister-in-law works at a pawn shop in Florida and she said they don't carry c.d.'s.. :crying:

I've had some luck at flea markets (If you don't mind scratched or sun faded) c.d.'s.

I still check my area pawns and find a lot of usable stuff, but I barely ever find super rares at pawns anyway. I do get lucky sometimes when someone's (with good music taste) pawned collection hit the floor at once, and I can pick up whole catalogs at one time.

• 2 months later...
Guest artofmetal

PAWN SHOPS - NO

I STILL FIND SOME GREAT THINGS AT USED CD STORES BUT THE PRICING IS GETTING OUTRAGEOUS. MOST CD STORES IN MY AREA ARE BAR CODE SCANNING AGAINST AMAZON PRICING AND PRICING CDS ACCORDING TO THE GOIN RATE ON AMAZON. I FOUND A WWW III CD THE OTHER DAY W/ A PRICE OF $163.00. CAN DO BELIVE THAT. I UNDERSTAND EVERYONE NEEDS TO MAKE MONEY, BUT THAT IS RIDICULOUS. CD HUNTING ISN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE.

PAWN SHOPS - NO

I STILL FIND SOME GREAT THINGS AT USED CD STORES BUT THE PRICING IS GETTING OUTRAGEOUS. MOST CD STORES IN MY AREA ARE BAR CODE SCANNING AGAINST AMAZON PRICING AND PRICING CDS ACCORDING TO THE GOIN RATE ON AMAZON. I FOUND A WWW III CD THE OTHER DAY W/ A PRICE OF $163.00. CAN DO BELIVE THAT. I UNDERSTAND EVERYONE NEEDS TO MAKE MONEY, BUT THAT IS RIDICULOUS. CD HUNTING ISN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE.

I ran into the same thing the other day at FYE of all places. They had a used originals of Lillian Axe "Love and War" for $40, Vain "No Respect" for $25, and Helix "Walkin' The Razor's Edge" for $28. Whatever happened to the $3.99 bargain bins at big chain music stores?

Friday night I stopped in that that one store I complain about sometimes on here. They still had their $44.99 copy of Baton Rouge Shake Your Soul (Wounded Bird reissue no less) and Icon's Right Between the Eyes for $50.

I been noticing a lot of that dark/death/black metal (pick your name for it) lately. I dont listen to it be it is the kind of cd's that anoy me a little because at first they catch my eye enough to sometimes pick one up only to realize I cannot read the words because the font is supposed to scare me or something. There is usually a beast, demon, reaper, blood, etc. somewhere on the cover art. I've been seeing a lot of that stuff lately.

Friday night I stopped in that that one store I complain about sometimes on here. They still had their $44.99 copy of Baton Rouge Shake Your Soul (Wounded Bird reissue no less) and Icon's Right Between the Eyes for $50.

I been noticing a lot of that dark/death/black metal (pick your name for it) lately. I dont listen to it be it is the kind of cd's that anoy me a little because at first they catch my eye enough to sometimes pick one up only to realize I cannot read the words because the font is supposed to scare me or something. There is usually a beast, demon, reaper, blood, etc. somewhere on the cover art. I've been seeing a lot of that stuff lately.

I have come across more death/black/satanic metal at a couple of Cash Converters that i hunt at and it's been cheap.I pick it up and bang it on Ebay or trade it off ,i've been getting some nice coin and cool trades.Maybe alot of death/doom etc fans are branching out to other forms of metal and dumping their old collections?

• 2 weeks later...

went to a used cd store on the weekend and spent an whole $0.40!!!!!!

2 cd singel, at 20c each...

Stolen Water - Superstitious (local indie from early 90's. already got it, but this copy in much better condition)

Billy Falcon - ? (just some cd singel that was in good condition, so for 20c ... why not give it a go)

Was quite of bit of obscure looking metal there which would probably be of interest to others... but not much for me.

Picked up a couple last night, not great prices but ok enough were I bought them:

Killer Dwarfs - Big Deal - $8 - never owned this before so I figured what the heck, I like there other stuff

Tigertailz - Thrill Pistol - 2CD - $8

Rock City Angels - cd single for Deep Inside My Heart - $2 - I never heard of these guys but Dan has them listed as Sleaze Glam on the main site and if I like them I might be bothering you guys on the board to find out more