• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem...

Cher?

On heavyharmonies?

What next Britney Spears?

Have you heard the albums in question? How are they any different than any other Desmond Child-driven 80's hard rock albums? :)

(BTW, I haven't see the main site but I assume her 3 melodic rock/AOR discs from the late 80's and early 90's are up now?)

Backed all the way. 100% should be on the main pages. As I just mentioned in the comments section, never judge a book by it's name or cover as some people obviously do.

Cher - S/T is a pretty good 80`s album, always really liked Perfection :tumbsup:

Heart Of Stone features a one of my faves in You Wouldn`t Know Love :bowdown:

The albums featured are very much Heavy Harmonies style records. I would also add the 'I Paralyze' album she cut for CBS prior to the Geffen deal that had some worthy pop rock and AOR moments but, more importantly, the great hard rock album she recorded with then boyfriend Les Dudek under the band name of Black Rose (Casablanca, 1980).

Actually, the previous brace of Casablanca albums had a few rockier moments too, but the Black Rose album is a legendary piece of vinyl.

Guitars from Les Dudek and Ron 'Rocket' Richotte (later with David Lee Roth, Stan Bush and Steppenwolf)

Bass by Trey Thompson (later of Channel)

Drums by Gary Ferguson (later Channel and Gary Moore).

The albums featured are very much Heavy Harmonies style records. I would also add the 'I Paralyze' album she cut for CBS prior to the Geffen deal that had some worthy pop rock and AOR moments but, more importantly, the great hard rock album she recorded with then boyfriend Les Dudek under the band name of Black Rose (Casablanca, 1980).

Actually, the previous brace of Casablanca albums had a few rockier moments too, but the Black Rose album is a legendary piece of vinyl.

Guitars from Les Dudek and Ron 'Rocket' Richotte (later with David Lee Roth, Stan Bush and Steppenwolf)

Bass by Trey Thompson (later of Channel)

Drums by Gary Ferguson (later Channel and Gary Moore).

That Black Rose disc is excellent Dave. I picked up a re-release of it (with a more recent photo of her from the Mermaids movie for the cover) a few years back. Crap cover, brilliant music. :tumbsup:

If Janet Jackson put out a full album of songs like Black Cat I think that belongs on the site. If Travis Tritt put out a full blown album in the style of, lets say, Van Halen, then it should be here. to not include an album just because the artist in not know for the HH style would be our loss. How many people might pick up the Cher cd's just because those albums fit the HH style? I might, I've never heard them.

I am a huge fan of Cher but to be honest I never thought she would be added here. Its not that what everyone stated isnt right but when I think of HH she is the last to come to mind. Since I have been here it seems the site gets softer and softer. Again I am a Huge fan And my tastes fall right into AOR/Melodic Rock. I do have most of her cds but still tend to look at her as Pop. But there is alot of AOR that I find borderline Pop.

So tell me whats needed in the music and singer to call them AOR/Melodic Rock?.... I really have no clue

Since I have been here it seems the site gets softer and softer. Again I am a Huge fan And my tastes fall right into AOR/Melodic Rock. I do have most of her cds but still tend to look at her as Pop.

So tell me whats needed in the music and singer to call them AOR/Melodic Rock?.... I really have no clue

I have to admit I don't really get comments like this. Musically, this is similar to FM's 'Tough it out' or Alice Cooper's 'Trash'. Or a Bon Jovi album from that era.

Compared to the hi-tech AOR stuff that's here (which I believe is pop and not rock) I don't see how this can not be considered worthy. :)

Since I have been here it seems the site gets softer and softer. Again I am a Huge fan And my tastes fall right into AOR/Melodic Rock. I do have most of her cds but still tend to look at her as Pop.

I have to admit I don't really get comments like this. Musically, this is similar to FM's 'Tough it out' or Alice Cooper's 'Trash'. Or a Bon Jovi album from that era.

Compared to the hi-tech AOR stuff that's here (which I believe is pop and not rock) I don't see how this can not be considered worthy. :)

Have to completely agree with that. All that typical Desmond Chld blah de blah stuff is here, so why not Cher aswell, no real difference stylewise, so I honestly cannot see what some people are complaining about.

I have to agree that some people have a problem with the name of the artist (Michael Bolton, Richard Marx, Rick Springfield etc are others) - they took ages to get their 'Rock' stuff on the main pages, but they are deservedly there now. Jesus, if Michael Bolton's 'Everybody's Crazy' and his S/T aren't deserving of these pages, then a whole load of other stuff shouldn't be included either.

Some of the lighter stuff featured on the main pages have been there for years, so I certainly don't think the site is getting softer at all either. Slighly more diverse maybe in the last year or so, but nowt wrong with that.

Over and out!! :D

I guess the problem I have is that I always looked at this site as a Hard Rock - Heavy Metal. My thoughts were that it was directed mainly as a huge databank for Rare CDS. I am sure I am not the only that also thinks this. Its got nothing to do with whether Cher Michael Bolton ect should or should not be here. I just never thought it would expand into groups such as these. I always thought having Survivor, ect was borderline. But then again its all in how you look at the site. The problem here is and will always be that people have a there own idea of what they classify groups. Cher, Bolton I see Pop - Survivor, toto, ect I see rock but not hard rock. Geoff your such a huge fan of AOR that I can see why you dont understand. Your more than happy to welcome it. If these are now acceptable then I bet we can submit hundreds more that arent in the data base now to add. Kind opens the door to a flood.

Id say if Cher falls uner HH then so would bands like The Hooters, Greg Kihn Band and manfred mann's earth band and I am sure there are many many more

I guess the problem I have is that I always looked at this site as a Hard Rock - Heavy Metal. My thoughts were that it was directed mainly as a huge databank for Rare CDS. I am sure I am not the only that also thinks this. Its got nothing to do with whether Cher Michael Bolton ect should or should not be here. I just never thought it would expand into groups such as these. I always thought having Survivor, ect was borderline. But then again its all in how you look at the site. The problem here is and will always be that people have a there own idea of what they classify groups. Cher, Bolton I see Pop - Survivor, toto, ect I see rock but not hard rock. Geoff your such a huge fan of AOR that I can see why you dont understand. Your more than happy to welcome it. If these are now acceptable then I bet we can submit hundreds more that arent in the data base now to add. Kind opens the door to a flood.

Id say if Cher falls uner HH then so would bands like The Hooters, Greg Kihn Band and manfred mann's earth band and I am sure there are many many more

Wow man, you're going down a whole other route. The way I read what you said, if a band sold more than 1 million albums they're classified as pop and are then not hard rock anymore? I can see what you're saying, and hate to say it mate but I disagree 100% x 100. To me the popularity of a band/artist has absolutely 0 bearing on what type of music they are. If Cannibal Corpse sold 4 billion albums they would still be heavy metal... not pop. You seem to be confusing the terms 'pop' and 'popular'. Regardless of what Cher was/is/will be, those albums are melodic rock / AOR. Popular melodic rock / AOR? Yes. And so were Bon Jovi and Survivor. But what kind of site would this be without Bon Jovi or Survivor?

The fact is that 'Heart of stone' by Cher is a million times the CD a rare "gem" like Spiced Ice is. But just because Spiced Ice are a rare melodic rock band (who suck), they deserve a place here more than Cher's 'Heart of stone', which is a popular melodic rock abum (that does not suck)?

I don't know those other two artists you mention, but I've never known of The Hooters making a melodic/hard rock/AOR CD.