Cher

edwithmj

I guess the problem I have is that I always looked at this site as a Hard Rock - Heavy Metal. My thoughts were that it was directed mainly as a huge databank for Rare CDS. I am sure I am not the only that also thinks this. Its got nothing to do with whether Cher Michael Bolton ect should or should not be here. I just never thought it would expand into groups such as these. I always thought having Survivor, ect was borderline. But then again its all in how you look at the site. The problem here is and will always be that people have a there own idea of what they classify groups. Cher, Bolton I see Pop - Survivor, toto, ect I see rock but not hard rock. Geoff your such a huge fan of AOR that I can see why you dont understand. Your more than happy to welcome it. If these are now acceptable then I bet we can submit hundreds more that arent in the data base now to add. Kind opens the door to a flood.

Id say if Cher falls uner HH then so would bands like The Hooters, Greg Kihn Band and manfred mann's earth band and I am sure there are many many more

Wow man, you're going down a whole other route. The way I read what you said, if a band sold more than 1 million albums they're classified as pop and are then not hard rock anymore? I can see what you're saying, and hate to say it mate but I disagree 100% x 100. To me the popularity of a band/artist has absolutely 0 bearing on what type of music they are. If Cannibal Corpse sold 4 billion albums they would still be heavy metal... not pop. You seem to be confusing the terms 'pop' and 'popular'. Regardless of what Cher was/is/will be, those albums are melodic rock / AOR. Popular melodic rock / AOR? Yes. And so were Bon Jovi and Survivor. But what kind of site would this be without Bon Jovi or Survivor?

The fact is that 'Heart of stone' by Cher is a million times the CD a rare "gem" like Spiced Ice is. But just because Spiced Ice are a rare melodic rock band (who suck), they deserve a place here more than Cher's 'Heart of stone', which is a popular melodic rock abum (that does not suck)?

I don't know those other two artists you mention, but I've never known of The Hooters making a melodic/hard rock/AOR CD.

Agree 100% with Geoff's comments there....

Oh and The Hooters are cool, I'd have no objection to their albums being on HH's ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:unsure: I think I have her best of CD

I do, it is her Greatest Hits 1965-1992

Comments deleted over on the main site. One idiot banned. The following public service announcement posted in all 3 CD pages:

Judging from some of the replies (many of which have been deleted), there are a whole bunch of people reacting to the name "Cher" rather than having actually HEARD the 3 discs that have been added to HH. These 3 discs are quintessential melodic rock. No, we are not adding the rest of her pop discography, but these 3 albums definitely are appropriate for the site. It's no different from Shania Twain's single rock effort, Michael Bolton's early rock material (Blackjack with Bruce Kulick anyone?), or Pantera's early glam-era CDs. Just because other releases from an artist are outside the boundaries of HH does NOT disqualify those that are representative of the genres here.

P.S. Childish insults just because you disagree with an artist being included here will not be tolerated. Have a nice day.

I guess the problem I have is that I always looked at this site as a Hard Rock - Heavy Metal. My thoughts were that it was directed mainly as a huge databank for Rare CDS. I am sure I am not the only that also thinks this. Its got nothing to do with whether Cher Michael Bolton ect should or should not be here. I just never thought it would expand into groups such as these. I always thought having Survivor, ect was borderline. But then again its all in how you look at the site. The problem here is and will always be that people have a there own idea of what they classify groups. Cher, Bolton I see Pop - Survivor, toto, ect I see rock but not hard rock. Geoff your such a huge fan of AOR that I can see why you dont understand. Your more than happy to welcome it. If these are now acceptable then I bet we can submit hundreds more that arent in the data base now to add. Kind opens the door to a flood.

Id say if Cher falls uner HH then so would bands like The Hooters, Greg Kihn Band and manfred mann's earth band and I am sure there are many many more

Wow man, you're going down a whole other route. The way I read what you said, if a band sold more than 1 million albums they're classified as pop and are then not hard rock anymore? I can see what you're saying, and hate to say it mate but I disagree 100% x 100. To me the popularity of a band/artist has absolutely 0 bearing on what type of music they are. If Cannibal Corpse sold 4 billion albums they would still be heavy metal... not pop. You seem to be confusing the terms 'pop' and 'popular'. Regardless of what Cher was/is/will be, those albums are melodic rock / AOR. Popular melodic rock / AOR? Yes. And so were Bon Jovi and Survivor. But what kind of site would this be without Bon Jovi or Survivor?

The fact is that 'Heart of stone' by Cher is a million times the CD a rare "gem" like Spiced Ice is. But just because Spiced Ice are a rare melodic rock band (who suck), they deserve a place here more than Cher's 'Heart of stone', which is a popular melodic rock abum (that does not suck)?

I don't know those other two artists you mention, but I've never known of The Hooters making a melodic/hard rock/AOR CD.

Agree 100% with Geoff's comments there....

Oh and The Hooters are cool, I'd have no objection to their albums being on HH's ;)

The Hooters are indeed a well cool band. 'Nervous Night' and 'One Way' home verged at times on AOR/MR without quite totally getting there, but they wrote some brilliantly 'Melodic' songs ('All You Zombies' 'Satellite' 'And We Danced' etc) and have a very impressive catalogue of albums. Great band.

I'm not gonna say she doesnt belong on the site, but I still cannot comprehend how someone like Billy Idol doesnt make the cut.

Yes he has punk influences on some songs, and maybe some new wave on others, but he is pretty much a melodic rocker for the most part, and even at his mellowest, he still rocks harder than a lot of people in the database!

I'm not gonna say she doesnt belong on the site, but I still cannot comprehend how someone like Billy Idol doesnt make the cut.

Yes he has punk influences on some songs, and maybe some new wave on others, but he is pretty much a melodic rocker for the most part, and even at his mellowest, he still rocks harder than a lot of people in the database!

Agreed!

Agreed!

Shhh guys - The 'Stallion' will get ya! :lol:

:unsure: I think I have her best of CD

I do, it is her Greatest Hits 1965-1992

I have that one as well. I...umm picked it up for the wife. :unsure:

Personally, I couldn't care less what material is approved for the site because nothing says I actually have to listen to it. Where do you draw the line? Everyone's concept of what is and what isn't acceptable is pretty much different, so it has to be left up to those in charge to determine what stays and what goes. So, if Dan wants to add "ambient flutes and shit", which I seriously doubt he'd do, seeing as he was the one who coined that term, then he has the authority to do so.

I have no interest in listening to Cher anyway as I have a backlog of material to listen to, which keeps her at about artist #2475 on my list of artists to give a spin to. My experience regarding Cher is mostly watching her variety show with Sonny, the Ski-Whiz Kid, which was surprisingly entertaining thanks to a great cast of ensemble players, including the great Billy Van, Ted Zeigler, and Peter Cullen. My other experiences are not so pleasurable - a la the wife blasting that insipid Believe nonsense (with that excruciatingly-annoying Cher-bot gimmick) about 30 times in a row over and over one night, which drove me right up the fucking wall. Another time, I was pissing around on the PC in the living room while the wife watched a Cher concert on TV, and although I wasn’t really paying attention to it, it was impossible to not be distracted by her monotonous habit of constantly referring to her audience as, “You bitches”. The first time I heard it, it didn’t really bother me, but by the 25th time, I was wishing I could somehow crawl through the screen and throttle her. Stage banter, if well done and clever, can actually enhance a performance, but when it’s repetitive and displays all the originality of playing Chopsticks on a piano, it can be a most grating experience – much like getting sand in your eye, or sitting through an insurance seminar.

Whether Cher is on the data-base or not is obviously open to debate,I personally like Cher singing that kind of AOR,she has the voice for it.But what seems to have been overlooked is the release dates of the said albums.1987,89 and 91 a point in time when anyone including Cher to soap actors to perhaps "Pop-Idol"-type wannabes saw a gap in the market for "singalong" pop-rock which was very popular till Grunge killed it.Then Cher turned to Trance - style club music........

Music,and it's fans,are very fickle !!!!!!!!!!

But those albums have AOR stamped all over them......

Guest MetalianStallion

Agreed!

Hey Jez, I guess you saw my comments, no offense as I was over the top and vented at the first +comments I saw on Cher's releases in shock and horror. If you have seen any of my other comments I tend to very sarcastic and as you can see with my sign on name I don't take myself too seriously. Everyone has a point of view and there appears to be no ' Mob rules' policy with Dan the man.

Agreed!

Hey Jez, I guess you saw my comments, no offense as I was over the top and vented at the first +comments I saw on Cher's releases in shock and horror. If you have seen any of my other comments I tend to very sarcastic and as you can see with my sign on name I don't take myself too seriously. Everyone has a point of view and there appears to be no ' Mob rules' policy with Dan the man.

I didn't see them, but I heard about them.

PS. My bollocks are plenty big enough, thanx alot for worrying about them anyways!! ;)

Guest MetalianStallion
Ahem...

Cher?

On heavyharmonies?

What next Britney Spears?

Have you heard the albums in question? How are they any different than any other Desmond Child-driven 80's hard rock albums? :)

(BTW, I haven't see the main site but I assume her 3 melodic rock/AOR discs from the late 80's and early 90's are up now?)

Geoff, you probally recall my sign on name as I have ruffled your feathers before in the comments box. My last ones about Cher where deleted. I can be very sarcastic and as you can see with my code name I don't take myself or comments too seriously. All in good fun as I have seen you go at it with your arch nemesis AOR freaky all over the HH website. One thing that stands out in my memory since your comments are inescapable on HH, are over and over about many AOR releases being to light weight for your taste. That's why it's hard to believe your postive comments on Cher's releases. I would rather endure days of terrorist torture before admitting I own,let own listen to Cher 80's albums. I went back and listened to "Heart of Stone' online and all I hear is big budget formula pop rock. Dan takes it a step further calling it "Monster melodic rock". I can respect women artists like Pat Benetar,Wilson Sisters who stick with what they do best, but Cher jumps on the flavor of the day band wagon all through her carreer and I think she is a mediorcre talent(voice). What happen to the old Geoff who talked about bands releases ripping your face apart, or blowing your balls off? Look down brother, it's time for a family jewel check.

Ahem...

Cher?

On heavyharmonies?

Have you heard the albums in question? How are they any different than any other Desmond Child-driven 80's hard rock albums? :)

(BTW, I haven't see the main site but I assume her 3 melodic rock/AOR discs from the late 80's and early 90's are up now?)

Geoff, you probally recall my sign on name as I have ruffled your feathers before in the comments box. My last ones about Cher where deleted. I can be very sarcastic and as you can see with my code name I don't take myself or comments too seriously. All in good fun as I have seen you go at it with your arch nemesis AOR freaky all over the HH website. One thing that stands out in my memory since your comments are inescapable on HH, are over and over about many AOR releases being to light weight for your taste. That's why it's hard to believe your postive comments on Cher's releases. I would rather endure days of terrorist torture before admitting I own,let own listen to Cher 80's albums. I went back and listened to "Heart of Stone' online and all I hear is big budget formula pop rock. Dan takes it a step further calling it "Monster melodic rock". I can respect women artists like Pat Benetar,Wilson Sisters who stick with what they do best, but Cher jumps on the flavor of the day band wagon all through her carreer and I think she is a mediorcre talent(voice). What happen to the old Geoff who talked about bands releases ripping your face apart, or blowing your balls off? Look down brother, it's time for a family jewel check.

Yeah, I remember you, clown, but I thought you'd logged on before with that username and was surprised to see only two posts. I guess you must have got deleted when Dan deleted members with less than 5 posts or whatever.

What you say there makes me vomit in my mouth. Did you read my comments to my good man Hardrock80srule??

Please explain to me step by step how Alice Cooper's 'Trash', Bon Jovi's 'New Jersey' or FM's 'Tough it out' are any "heavier" than Cher's 'Heart of Stone'. The albums like Beau Gueste, I-Ten etc. which I refer to being light, are musically worlds lighter than any of these three Cher albums.

Just explain for us all here how these Cher CDs are any more lightweight than 50% of bands on the main site.

Who gives a f*ck if she jumped on the bandwagon (didn't Alice Cooper and countless other artists of the era?), is an ugly whore, has since created hardcore dance music... what does any of that bullshit have to do with the fact that a good melodic rock album is a good melodic rock album? You're one of these clowns who is so wrapped up in being "cool" that you look to every reason aside from the music to make a musical decision.

If your self-image is so important, why even come here? Don't you know it's not "cool" to like 80's hard rock? I've no time for posers, mate.

Oh, and my balls are huge too. Didn't you already use that line on Jez? Take a hint, mate, no one wants to show you their balls so you can sneak in a cheap lick. ;)

Ahem...

Cher?

On heavyharmonies?

Yeah, I remember you, clown, but I thought you'd logged on before with that username and was surprised to see only two posts. I guess you must have got deleted when Dan deleted members with less than 5 posts or whatever.

What you say there makes me vomit in my mouth. Did you read my comments to my good man Hardrock80srule??

Please explain to me step by step how Alice Cooper's 'Trash', Bon Jovi's 'New Jersey' or FM's 'Tough it out' are any "heavier" than Cher's 'Heart of Stone'. The albums like Beau Gueste, I-Ten etc. which I refer to being light, are musically worlds lighter than any of these three Cher albums.

Just explain for us all here how these Cher CDs are any more lightweight than 50% of bands on the main site.

Who gives a f*ck if she jumped on the bandwagon (didn't Alice Cooper and countless other artists of the era?), is an ugly whore, has since created hardcore dance music... what does any of that bullshit have to do with the fact that a good melodic rock album is a good melodic rock album? You're one of these clowns who is so wrapped up in being "cool" that you look to every reason aside from the music to make a musical decision.

If your self-image is so important, why even come here? Don't you know it's not "cool" to like 80's hard rock? I've no time for posers, mate.

Oh, and my balls are huge too. Didn't you already use that line on Jez? Take a hint, mate, no one wants to show you their balls so you can sneak in a cheap lick. ;)

It is worrying the continued concern from one person about the contents in everyone's under trousers.

Geoff, do you find that one of your Spherical objects is slightly bigger than the other, or is that an English problem :D

Ahem...

Cher?

On heavyharmonies?

Well said mate, very good points :D

Ahem...

Cher?

On heavyharmonies?

It is worrying the continued concern from one person about the contents in everyone's under trousers.

Geoff, do you find that one of your Spherical objects is slightly bigger than the other, or is that an English problem :D

It's actually anatomically correct for the left to be slightly larger - fact!

Ahem...

Cher?

On heavyharmonies?

Yeah, not sure if one's bigger, but sure is heavier. I think it's the left one too. :lol:

Ahem...

Cher?

On heavyharmonies?

Yeah, not sure if one's bigger, but sure is heavier. I think it's the left one too. :lol:

Thank merry fuck for that. I will put both of the chaps back in the wheel barrow and carry on then. :lol:

Never read the commotion, yet it's always there. This site stands for AOR/Hard Rock music in general which means any artist with a record in that style should be included. All for expanding database, good music's good music. If you've got a problem with that stick to your own ideals like going to the Brutal Metal section. Everything's pretty much said already. :)

Guest MetalianStallion
Ahem...

Cher?

On heavyharmonies?

:baneed: :baneed: :baneed::spvader: :spvader:

I was afraid you might take the low road when I threw in a joke after quoting your Jaded Heart - Mystery Eyes comments. Your last thread ends here where you left off on this link, describing some kind of gay Karate Kid fantasy. Posted by Dave: The Metalian Stallion vs. Geoff 5/30/2008

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.ph...etalianStallion

Your the only person I have ever seen on a rock board with posts on how good looking you are amongst a sea of dudes? Do they have some kind of 12 step self esteem class here on the board?

As far as Cher I will make a case as why I consider her 80's releases pop rock, not AOR/ melodic rock. First back in the 80's in the states Rock (AOR)stations in all major markets would not touch a Cher song with a ten foot pool. AC(Adult Contemporary) and Top 40 stations where the only ones playing new at the time Cher tunes. MTV even had a Mitch Malloy video 'Anything at All' (which is a stretch)on Head Bangers ball but Cher in black leather and lace doesn't make it hard rock in my world.

The only song that is borderline AOR off Heart of Stone is " You wouldn't know Love" which of course Michael Bolton did. Why is it when you look at the play list of Michael Bolton's Greatest hits compilations that he never includes songs from his first 2 releases? Yet when you look at Cher's Greatest Hits cd's their loaded with tracks from her 80's releases? The answer is Bolton's early work was true AOR therefore not included with his later crooner releases,while ALL Cher's Pop hits flow together easily.

Unlike Robin Beck,Pat Benatar,Heart,Joan Jet,Lita Ford,Lee Aaron,Chrissy Steele,Lorraine Lewis,Debbie Davis and other female rockers who have had some pop appeal, Cher has never intended to be anything but a contemporary pop singer in the publics eyes.

Comparing the sound of Alice Cooper,Bon Jovi,Kane Roberts,Cher is comparing apples to oranges. Of course they all have the Desmond Child connection in common but so what. Desmond has written tunes for rockers: Sebastian Bach,Ace Freely,Vince Neil,Molly Hatchet,Dream Theater as well as pop acts: Cher, INXS,Roxette,Ricky Martin,Kelly Clarkson,Hansen and the one and only Clay Aiken.

Desmond has that distinctive formula sound trademark like producer Mutt Lange is known for his, but it's a huge stretch, like putting a watermelon into a banana skin to say that " Heart of Stone" holds it's own as a AOR/ melodic rock album against those other bands. "Twisted" by Kane Roberts is borderline metal compared to any of Cher 80's tracks.

The bottom line is that the lions share of HH patrons don't have Cher in their demographics so why even list it? There seems to be be a good ol boy network on the site so maybe that explains how it ended up on the site in the first place 8 years + after HH has been in existence.

I've got to go it's about time for my poser class where I practice in the mirror on how many socks to put down my leather pants. Like Ted Poley, I'm a legend in my own mind.

Thank merry fuck for that. I will put both of the chaps back in the wheel barrow and carry on then. :lol: