Books

JustJason

Just finishing FEED by Mira Grant. Appears to be book one of a trilogy of post apocalyptic zombie type books, with more emphasis on journalism than zombies.

Starting The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I've got high hopes for this one...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading a book called "The Manly Art" by Elliott J Gorn, which is about bare knuckle prize fighting. It's mainly about prize fighting in the USA, but starts in England, where it was very popular in the 18th century. Really interesting, some of the fights lasted 99 rounds and went on for over 3 hours. I'd like to read more about the sport in the UK, but books on the subject seem to be hugely expensive.

I finished Craig Ferguson's book and left incomplete. He spent much time on his early life/before being sober, but not much on it afterward. I kind of hoped, for all the years he was on the Drew Carey show, there'd be something interesting about that. (I can't imagine there weren't awesome stories.) Not as much on the Late, Late Show, either, though more than the DCS. VERY good book, just not anything about which I'd hoped (imagined) I'd read. I hope he's got another book coming along.

I went to see Craig Ferguson at Granada TV studios in the late 80's while he recorded a show for a one off T.V. show, he was reasonably funny but when I watched the show actually on T.V. I was wondering what we laughed at in the studio (the beer before the show may have helped), it was pretty awful....then he disappeared completely, I never knew he got a second shot at fame in the States.

I blew thru Dave Mustaine's autobio ("Mustaine") in less than a week. Currently reading "Babylon Is Burning: From Punk to Grunge" by an author whose name totally escapes me at the moment and I don't have the book handy to look it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished Craig Ferguson's book and left incomplete. He spent much time on his early life/before being sober, but not much on it afterward. I kind of hoped, for all the years he was on the Drew Carey show, there'd be something interesting about that. (I can't imagine there weren't awesome stories.) Not as much on the Late, Late Show, either, though more than the DCS. VERY good book, just not anything about which I'd hoped (imagined) I'd read. I hope he's got another book coming along.

I went to see Craig Ferguson at Granada TV studios in the late 80's while he recorded a show for a one off T.V. show, he was reasonably funny but when I watched the show actually on T.V. I was wondering what we laughed at in the studio (the beer before the show may have helped), it was pretty awful....then he disappeared completely, I never knew he got a second shot at fame in the States.

Did it happen to be a Bing Hitler comic bit or just a TV show for which he was a character?

I just finished Craig's novel "Between the Bridge and the River". Everyone I knew who loves his show raved about this book. I got into it and was waiting to be wowed and after many chapters thought "Is this just artistic shit or am I too stupid to get the literary/biblical/societal references that other (smarter?) people got from this?" and was fairly disappointed. But, as the book went on, the way he wove the events together and had reoccurring themes throughout just won me over. I still think there might be things that I'm missing, but everything tied together and it really makes you think about things you know, things you don't, and things you believe.

Craig is a talent on so many levels; after all the wrong paths he took, it's great to see he finally took a right one and where it has led him.

'Slash' - Slash and Anthony Bozzo ; loving this so far. Totally engaged by it...

Enjoyed this one myself! (Much more than the crap that was the Heroin Diaries.)

• 1 month later...

Started reading "Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live" a few days ago. VERY entertaining read thus far.

I forget the title of it now but I'm reading one of my wife's books, about a girl who's had surgery on her anus and as she's lying there she goes through other facets of her life. I thought I'd read some fucked up shit, but this kind of takes the cake. Will print the name here when I recall what it's called.

Just finished: Mustaine by Dave Mustaine

A very good book and a easy quick read. It could of been a little more in depth when discussing certain albums and songs and probably could of been about 100 pages longer IMO but still a good book.

Just started: Day of Battle: Volume Two of the Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson

• 2 weeks later...

Did it happen to be a Bing Hitler comic bit or just a TV show for which he was a character?

Nope, it was a one off show sketches (shown on a screen) and a bit of stand up plus a couple of in the studio sketches.

The show was on Channel 4 over here if I remember and was simply called The Craig Ferguson Show, but there was only ever one episode. I wonder if he was part of a series where comics got the chance to try their hand at creating a potential series.

Just found this on Wiki

Ferguson made his television debut in The Craig Ferguson Show, a one-off comedy pilot for Granada Television, which co-starred Paul Whitehouse and Helen Atkinson-Wood.[6] This was broadcast throughout the UK on 4 March 1990, but was not made into a full series.

• 2 months later...