Best of the Best XX

Best of the Best XX  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ahh...1996...the year featuring Journey's return, as well as the Lep's foray into...well, whatever the hell they were trying to do. :P I might be by myself on this one, but I'm gonna pick Desperado - Bloodied But Unbowed....just an asskicker of an album IMO! :banger:

Ten - Ten

Great debut album and still their finest album. Liked Nelson, Journey, Molly Hatchet, Rush as well!!!

I'm going for TEN as well, allthough it is extremely close to the Harlan Cage debut.

Ten followed by Gotthard. Rush's Test For Echo was not up to the quality of Counterparts but still good.

Wow, for some reason I actually thought I'd be alone with Ten... but alas, I'm not. IMO, Victory are clearly the best band here :P but 'Voiceprint' was their weakest release up till that point. I still wouldn't call them fillers because I don't think Victory knew how to write those, but there are a few weaker tracks on that disc.

And on the other hand, I do have to admit that Ten's debut is a really quite excellent, and sounds so fresh compared to a lot of their catalogue. Great disc.

Bone Machine was close too, but a few fillers.

Jaded Heart should actually have been runaway winners, but that is by far their weakest release, IMO.

No, it's not their best, but I still gave Jaded Heart: "Slaves & Masters" my vote; however, I could have just as easily given it to Johnny Lima (that shit be catchy, yo!), Gotthard, or Freefall.

I went for 'TEN'. Not a fan of them at all but I have to admit their debut was a bit good. NELSON was good to, but a load of poor albums in this list. The DEF LEPPARD/JOURNEY/VICTORY/JADED HEART discs were all the worst of their respective careers IMHO.

I must've still been in the same musical coma that I was in during 1995 at this point cuz I own NONE of the CDs in this list. (Nope, not even Desperado. Apparently I blinked and missed it when that came out cuz I don't even remember seeing it before it disappeared!) Neither of these are on the list, but my favorite disc of '96 would probably be a toss up between Kiss' MTV UNPLUGGED or Helloween's THE TIME OF THE OATH, in case anybody cares.

I went for 'TEN'. Not a fan of them at all but I have to admit their debut was a bit good. NELSON was good to, but a load of poor albums in this list. The DEF LEPPARD/JOURNEY/VICTORY/JADED HEART discs were all the worst of their respective careers IMHO.

Hey Tim (2) ... that Victory comment, is that related to their whole career, or just their career up to that point in time? If it is their whole career you refer to, do you prefer 'Instinct' to 'Voiceprint'? I personally prefer 'Voiceprint'. Without doubt their 2 weakest discs though. :(

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a very exciting year for hard rock, but saved by Jaded heart-Sleaves and masters, a real masterpiece. In my opinion this is their best album, they never reach this high afrter this one, I disagree with the others great melodic hard rock fans here.

Ten and Harlan cage deserve a mention.

Still I have to quote Fat freddy for The time of the oath from Helloween. I really loved the first three album with Deris, But I don't like that much the last three, I try to dig'em but I can't.

• 9 months later...

Looking like Ten's S/T release is the class of 96....

DIRTY LOOKS ~ Rip It Out

A vastly under-rated Dirty Looks release.

• 1 year later...

Well, I'm gonna go with a couple that aren't listed;

Cage (with Terry Ilous of XYZ) - "F-Y-CO"

and then, Jaime Kyle - "Back From Hollywood".