Jump to content

2001 - Choose your album


Recommended Posts

Those releases from Burning Rain and Beautiful Creatures were good ones, but my pick from the 2001 montage is D2.  Cockroach is my favorite album from the band and a rare opportunity to hear an album sung by a band's original singer and their replacement.  And Goin' Goin' Gone would be my favorite track

Edited by Crazysam
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

D2. 

Buuuut,  I do love that Puddle of Mudd album and they were epic both times I saw them live 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2021 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, auslander said:

Please review the picture below and select your one album from 2001 (also say what your favourite track is to keep Darkstone happy 😊).

1478828483_FIqaMCDXoAAygQr2(13).jpeg.70b1ebf31cc4d1635e6bae689a823b5a.jpeg

I don't know how many more of these are available and as uncomprehensive as they are, they still give a great insight into the changing popular music trends we witnessed (endured). 

A few beacons of light, but we're well and truly in the dark ages now.

Fortunately, a renaissance was on the horizon.

Not necessarily with regards to popular music, but great content for our music was starting to be produced again, for those willing to find it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eclipse is very good, Giant and Gotthard are excellent, but the clear winner is Danger Danger. Never tried to single out one of these and don't think I could, so I will just say my favourite song is 'Afraid of love,' 'Don't break my heart again' and 'Goin' Goin' Gone' of equal proportion. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2021 Gold Donors

The concept of "Cockroach" was brilliant.

It was great to see such good will between the two parties. 

"Helloween" did a similar thing on their latest release. We should see more of it. 

It does however, open up the question of favourite D2 vocalist. 

I'd go with Paul Laine, but my favourite D2 albums are their first two?

I can't explain it. 

It is what it is.

Edited by Darkstone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

The concept of "Cockroach" was brilliant.

It was great to see such good will between the two parties. 

"Helloween" did a similar thing on their latest release. We should see more of it. 

It does however, open up the question of favourite D2 vocalist. 

I'd go with Paul Laine, but my favourite D2 albums are their first two?

I can't explain it. 

It is what it is.

I forgot to add that to my post. Poley all the way for me, and back to town.

Love Laine and his D2 albums, but nothing comes close to original line-up of Danger Danger. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

 

Fortunately, a renaissance was on the horizon.

Not necessarily with regards to popular music, but great content for our music was starting to be produced again, for those willing to find it.

 

Yup. I know of so many rock lovers from back in the day still stuck on rock albums produced in the 80s and the early 90s. They just gave up finding for new rock releases once the grunge/alternative scene took over as the mainstream music then subsequently by the boybands era and so on. I so wish they had just continued with their passion for finding new releases of the music we so love. But it is what it is. One fine example is my bro, he hasn't gone past Pyromania, Hysteria, and Adrenalize to this day. Same old music. 

Edited by Ponen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Ponen said:

Yup. I know of so many rock lovers from back in the day still stuck on rock albums produced in the 80s and the early 90s. They just gave up finding for new rock releases once the grunge/alternative scene took over as the mainstream music then subsequently by the boybands era and so on. I so wish they had just continued with their passion for finding new releases of the music we so love. But it is what it is. One fine example is my bro, he hasn't gone past Pyromania, Hysteria, and Adrenalize to this day. Same old music. 

I'm obsessed with Rock. Got albums from the 60s all the way to today, many different genres. Hard rock is my favourite but isn't the only music I listen to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I forgot to add that to my post. Poley all the way for me, and back to town.

Love Laine and his D2 albums, but nothing comes close to original line-up of Danger Danger. 

Phew! Thought you might disqualify this one as it was unreleased from the 90s! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, auslander said:

Phew! Thought you might disqualify this one as it was unreleased from the 90s! 

Nah, Jailhouse wasn't disqualified in that other one... great album but wasn't my favourite anyway. But sure as balls, 'Cockroach' is in my 1993 playlist - not 2001. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, auslander said:

I'm obsessed with Rock. Got albums from the 60s all the way to today, many different genres. Hard rock is my favourite but isn't the only music I listen to.

I know there are people that won't entertain any other genres of music except the 80s rock music genres like hard rock, metal, Aor, melodic rock etc. But it's kinda disappointing to see them know nothing about the bands/albums that were released post the hair metal days once Nirvana and the likes dominated television and radio stations. It was like a dead end for these rock music lovers. They still know the names of all the good rock bands from the 80s and they still listen to them to this day but never heard of names like First Signal, Work of Art, W.E.T., Degreed, Midnite City, just to name a few. I feel happy and fortunate that I never stopped my search for the type of music I always loved, and that finally paid off in gigantic proportions when I discovered the Heavy harmonies site in the year 2008. I still remember how shocked and elated I was at the same time when I saw this huge collection of bands and albums. I would spent hours and hours everyday going through the reviews put up by Geoff and the gang to get an idea about the band/album, which I still do to this day. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ponen said:

I know there are people that won't entertain any other genres of music except the 80s rock music genres like hard rock, metal, Aor, melodic rock etc. But it's kinda disappointing to see them know nothing about the bands/albums that were released post the hair metal days once Nirvana and the likes dominated television and radio stations. It was like a dead end for these rock music lovers. They still know the names of all the good rock bands from the 80s and they still listen to them to this day but never heard of names like First Signal, Work of Art, W.E.T., Degreed, Midnite City, just to name a few. I feel happy and fortunate that I never stopped my search for the type of music I always loved, and that finally paid off in gigantic proportions when I discovered the Heavy harmonies site in the year 2008. I still remember how shocked and elated I was at the same time when I saw this huge collection of bands and albums. I would spent hours and hours everyday going through the reviews put up by Geoff and the gang to get an idea about the band/album, which I still do to this day. 

this ^^^^

Exactly the same thing happened to me 

Spent a good few years in wilderness until I discovered this site in 2006 (I think) then back bought everything.

But I don't regret the music I bought and listened to in the late 90s early 00s. Some will sneer and slag it off but i really enjoyed stuff like nirvana, sum 41, pearl jam, creed, chilli's, Coldplay, oasis, Linkin, disturbed, saliva, foos, etc etcand still saw some great gigs from those bands 

But it was great to discover and buy stuff like Harem (higher, WOTW), JSS and all the other stuff which started to hit from around 2003 onwards :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I was "lucky" in a sense that when I started getting more into my music, around that 1995 point in time, how terrible the popular music at the time was actually what led me to this type of music. Starting with Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, and then I guess I spent the next five years tracking down all the "old" stuff, but at the same time buying the good new stuff as it came out. Stuff like Emerald Rain, Stun Leer and stuff like that, I was buying when it came out, along with trying to track down everything that had come out in the 1980's.

For me, I just knew I loved this music and I would have been completely unaware of the whole grunge putting it to the sword type of thing. I just bought any and all melodic rock music I could find, whether it was old or new at the time and I never really differentiated between it all, because it was all I knew. For example, I'd be buying a second hand Ratt or Dokken album from Cash Coverters on the same day as I might get the new Jaded Heart CD in the mail from AOR Heaven. That's just how it was. And I guess it was cool to have that. And similarly, I never struggled to include a Saliva, Linkin Park, SR-71, Marvelous 3 etc. in the mix because I was never about strictly just one particular type of 1980's thing. I just loved (and still love) rock music with big hooks. Didn't matter if it was Southgang or Marvelous 3 - a big rock hook is a big rock hook. And it's why today I still appreciate good modern rock as much as the stuff on this site, because I never made a big deal about the (irrelevant) differences between it all. A good song is a good song, and it's always been that simple for me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I guess I was "lucky" in a sense that when I started getting more into my music, around that 1995 point in time, how terrible the popular music at the time was actually what led me to this type of music. Starting with Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, and then I guess I spent the next five years tracking down all the "old" stuff, but at the same time buying the good new stuff as it came out. Stuff like Emerald Rain, Stun Leer and stuff like that, I was buying when it came out, along with trying to track down everything that had come out in the 1980's.

For me, I just knew I loved this music and I would have been completely unaware of the whole grunge putting it to the sword type of thing. I just bought any and all melodic rock music I could find, whether it was old or new at the time and I never really differentiated between it all, because it was all I knew. For example, I'd be buying a second hand Ratt or Dokken album from Cash Coverters on the same day as I might get the new Jaded Heart CD in the mail from AOR Heaven. That's just how it was. And I guess it was cool to have that. And similarly, I never struggled to include a Saliva, Linkin Park, SR-71, Marvelous 3 etc. in the mix because I was never about strictly just one particular type of 1980's thing. I just loved (and still love) rock music with big hooks. Didn't matter if it was Southgang or Marvelous 3 - a big rock hook is a big rock hook. And it's why today I still appreciate good modern rock as much as the stuff on this site, because I never made a big deal about the (irrelevant) differences between it all. A good song is a good song, and it's always been that simple for me. 

yeah everything up to late 92 I bought on release date! 93 as well. then 94 drought kicked in and mags like Kerrang morphed and covered other styles. 

Wilderness or just follow what was popular. Hard choice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Glen said:

this ^^^^

Exactly the same thing happened to me 

Spent a good few years in wilderness until I discovered this site in 2006 (I think) then back bought everything.

But I don't regret the music I bought and listened to in the late 90s early 00s. Some will sneer and slag it off but i really enjoyed stuff like nirvana, sum 41, pearl jam, creed, chilli's, Coldplay, oasis, Linkin, disturbed, saliva, foos, etc etcand still saw some great gigs from those bands 

But it was great to discover and buy stuff like Harem (higher, WOTW), JSS and all the other stuff which started to hit from around 2003 onwards :)

 

Yes during my time in wilderness, my cousin made me listen to Harem Scarem's Sentimental Blvd, If there was a time,and i think it was Love reaction, and i remember being completely blown away by the songs. Infact that's when I actually came to know about this melodic rock style. I think this was around 2000/01. So it was Harem Scarem that really got me into melodic rock. Before this, it was mostly hard rock and metal, and also death metal for a brief period. Later he introduced me to 40ft ringo, Waysted's Heaven tonight, and some obscure melodic rock songs. So i had a sense that our kind of music was still being made out there but never had the idea or the means or resources to explore and learn about our music and procure them. So fast forward to 2008, I was like Charlie Bucket in the chocolate factory. 

Edited by Ponen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lol after everyone going on about Cockroach I went and put a watch on a copy on ebay Australia and then an hour later some bastard bought it! It wasn't someone from here was it?! 😜

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.