2001 - Choose your album

auslander

1 hour ago, Ponen said:

Yes during my time in wilderness, my cousin made me listen to Harem Scarem's Sentimental Blvd, If there was a time,and i think it was Love reaction, and i remember being completely blown away by the songs. Infact that's when I actually came to know about this melodic rock style. I think this was around 2000/01. So it was Harem Scarem that really got me into melodic rock. Before this, it was mostly hard rock and metal, and also death metal for a brief period. Later he introduced me to 40ft ringo, Waysted's Heaven tonight, and some obscure melodic rock songs. So i had a sense that our kind of music was still being made out there but never had the idea or the means or resources to explore and learn about our music and procure them. So fast forward to 2008, I was like Charlie Bucket in the chocolate factory. 

That sounds like a good cousin you had there. :)

1 hour ago, auslander said:

Lol after everyone going on about Cockroach I went and put a watch on a copy on ebay Australia and then an hour later some bastard bought it! It wasn't someone from here was it?! 😜

Haha. Have you heard it before, or will it be the first time you hear it, should you ever win a copy? Out of curiosity, what's it selling for? If I remember correctly, it wasn't even that cheap on release, I think? Just had a quick look... around the au$30 mark, which I'd guess is about what I paid for it when it was released, so not that bad. Fewer more essential CDs than that one/two. 

4 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Haha. Have you heard it before, or will it be the first time you hear it, should you ever win a copy? Out of curiosity, what's it selling for? If I remember correctly, it wasn't even that cheap on release, I think? Just had a quick look... around the au$30 mark, which I'd guess is about what I paid for it when it was released, so not that bad. Fewer more essential CDs than that one/two. 

Never heard it yet. I have the first two D2 albums and from what I read this should have been #3 before it was shelved. I was into other stuff at the time it came out. Yeah $33 but I have made a lower offer as $30 is a magic limit in my mind I can't go over for a used cd. It means sometimes I wait years. Last week I finally got Robin Beck "Trouble or Nothing" after waiting a number of years for the right price (highly recommended on HH). Again, I have never heard it, so when it arrives it will be like new for me. I like it that way. It is like the old days when we would take "punts" on albums just by reading a review or word of mouth. It makes me invested in the album, so I listen to it from start to finish as intended a number of times. It's how I like to enjoy my music. A couple of tracks then go on my phone, but that is just for short car trips. The vast majority of my music consumption happens in my shed on my hifi system. Sometimes I will be in the mood for a particular album, but other times I just wander around my shelves and pick something I haven't played for a while. Like today I put on Work Force (1989) and feel I discovered something new all over again. Was a great listen. :) I think I saw that used a few years ago, checked HH and snapped it up based on reviews. No regrets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glen said:

this ^^^^

Exactly the same thing happened to me 

Spent a good few years in wilderness until I discovered this site in 2006 (I think) then back bought everything.

But I don't regret the music I bought and listened to in the late 90s early 00s. Some will sneer and slag it off but i really enjoyed stuff like nirvana, sum 41, pearl jam, creed, chilli's, Coldplay, oasis, Linkin, disturbed, saliva, foos, etc etcand still saw some great gigs from those bands 

But it was great to discover and buy stuff like Harem (higher, WOTW), JSS and all the other stuff which started to hit from around 2003 onwards :)

The Goo Goo Dolls? I thought 'A boy named goo' and 'Dizzy up the girl' were magnificent albums. 

2 minutes ago, auslander said:

Never heard it yet. I have the first two D2 albums and from what I read this should have been #3 before it was shelved. I was into other stuff at the time it came out. Yeah $33 but I have made a lower offer as $30 is a magic limit in my mind I can't go over for a used cd. It means sometimes I wait years. Last week I finally got Robin Beck "Trouble or Nothing" after waiting a number of years for the right price (highly recommended on HH). Again, I have never heard it, so when it arrives it will be like new for me. I like it that way. It is like the old days when we would take "punts" on albums just by reading a review or word of mouth. It makes me invested in the album, so I listen to it from start to finish as intended a number of times. It's how I like to enjoy my music. A couple of tracks then go on my phone, but that is just for short car trips. The vast majority of my music consumption happens in my shed on my hifi system. Sometimes I will be in the mood for a particular album, but other times I just wander around my shelves and pick something I haven't played for a while. Like today I put on Work Force (1989) and feel I discovered something new all over again. Was a great listen. :) I think I saw that used a few years ago, checked HH and snapped it up based on reviews. No regrets.

Man you are in for a great treat I tell you! Enjoy whenever it arrives. 

3 minutes ago, Ponen said:

The Goo Goo Dolls? I thought 'A boy named goo' and 'Dizzy up the girl' were magnificent albums. 

They got a bit pigeon-holed due to that Iris ballad but I think they were a much more decent band than many during that time.

1 minute ago, Ponen said:

Isn't that one of the best things, recommending an album you love to someone who hasn't heard it but you know their taste in music and they will love it too? I sometimes wonder what it would be like for someone to hear Mastedon "Lofcaudio" for the first time, for instance. Who needs heroin when you can take that drug! 😄 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, auslander said:

Yowser, You've some work to do. 'Dawn' is solid in terms of sell-out grungy albums, and you could skip it without missing much, but if you only have the first two D2 albums I'd suggest the others as completely essential. 'Four the hard way' does feature four songs from 'Cockroach' and then there's two more on the 'Gildersleeves' album, but both still entirely essential. Not to mention 'Revolve,' with Ted back at the helm. I'd really recommend them all... but yes, 'Cockroach' first and foremost. 

That Robin Beck album is a monster too. One of my favourites. You should love that one, I'd expect. 

A lot of what you said there is exciting and how I used to approach my albums. And sadly, what led to much of my disappointment, as discussed in the 1990 thread, in that Valentine album. I'd built that up so much in my head after all the positive, glowing comments, including the five stars in Kerrang etc. Everything was all there for it to be the most anticipated album I ever heard and when I found the CD at a market in Parramatta for $10 I thought it was the best day of my life. Got home, put it in the stereo and immediately just thought it sounded like rubbish. Put it in my discman, recorded it to tape for my walkman... tried all earphones and stereos and different speakers in the house, but it always just sounded like shit. Couldn't ever figure out why this wasn't brought up in all the reviews I'd read, but it is what it is. Songs were good so I dealt with it, but never, ever got over the disappointment of how bad it sounds, lol. Well that's a tangent, but yes, I used to love the thrill of the unknown. Sadly, that's long since gone for me in this digital age. :( 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, auslander said:

They got a bit pigeon-holed due to that Iris ballad but I think they were a much more decent band than many during that time.

Yeah, Goo Goo Dolls were excellent for quite a while there. I was into them, Motor Ace, Matchbox 20, Fuel etc. all at the time too. But never separate to my adoration for the music this site features, thankfully. Always just part of the one package. 

for anyone sitting on fence about buying the Valentine debut and reading this thread, just ignore Geoff, it sounds perfectly fine. He'll now reply and say the drums sound awful like he always does, but just ignore that comment too. And any other comment actually ;)

13 minutes ago, Glen said:

for anyone sitting on fence about buying the Valentine debut and reading this thread, just ignore Geoff, it sounds perfectly fine. He'll now reply and say the drums sound awful like he always does, but just ignore that comment too. And any other comment actually ;)

Haha, you madman. I would invite anyone to play 'Runnin on luck again' back to back with 'Come play the game' by Heavens Edge and tell me there's not a world of difference in sonic quality.

Same year, same producer, I'm assuming very similar budgets and probably pretty similar levels of musicianship... So why do they sound worlds apart? I just don't know... 

But I actually agree with you. Don't let my disappointment put anyone off Valentine. For me it's very much anticipation and a big letdown clouding my vision. It's a really good album. Very good songs, good band... Just terrible production. But I like other albums with poor production too - can't be the be all and end all. Just really disappointing in the case of Valentine. 

1 hour ago, auslander said:

Ya but really enjoyed the follow up albums 'Gutterflower' and 'Let love in' as well. 

re D2 different singers, a while ago I figured it out.
Laine sings the songs better and generally has a more likeable voice.
Poley is the voice of D2, so has the romance and sound you expect.
Still, I've never been able to choose one over the other, but it's good to know why I can't

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
17 hours ago, Geoff said:

Haha, you madman. I would invite anyone to play 'Runnin on luck again' back to back with 'Come play the game' by Heavens Edge and tell me there's not a world of difference in sonic quality.

Same year, same producer, I'm assuming very similar budgets and probably pretty similar levels of musicianship... So why do they sound worlds apart? I just don't know... 

But I actually agree with you. Don't let my disappointment put anyone off Valentine. For me it's very much anticipation and a big letdown clouding my vision. It's a really good album. Very good songs, good band... Just terrible production. But I like other albums with poor production too - can't be the be all and end all. Just really disappointing in the case of Valentine. 

I agree about the Valentine production, but some albums transcend that. For me this is one of them.

For the record though, I do prefer the Heaven's Edge debut, by quite a long way actually.

Regardless of production.  

Edited by Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Still, I've never been able to choose one over the other, but it's good to know why I can't

Actually, I think you've hit the nail right on the head.

That's exactly it.

For me anyway.

Edited by Darkstone

4 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I agree about the Valentine production, but some albums transcend that. For me this is one of them.

For the record though, I do prefer the Heaven's Edge debut, by quite a long way actually.

Regardless of production.  

Yeah, I noticed (unknowingly, at the time of these threads) that I've brought this comparison up before and people always get off-track and think I'm saying Heaven's Edge are a better band and don't actually get the point I'm trying to make about the production alone.

But I actually agree with you. I think Heaven's Edge were a significantly better band, and if the debut didn't prove it, 'Some other place some other time' sure as heck showed it, tenfold. And the production quality on that one is about on par with the Valentine album, lol. ;) 

It's sad that Heaven's Edge will always "just be another hair band that never made it," because I do think they were a significantly awesome band. 

8 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I'd have to disagree, personally. 

From 1989 to 1993 I personally much preferred Ted's voice. As in, I thought he sung the songs better and his voice was far more likeable, to me. He was actually my favourite vocalist from the era, with Rory Cathey and another dude I can't think of. 

I admit he's not what he used to be, but from 1989 to 1993 he was far and away my preference in every regard. 

20 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, I noticed (unknowingly, at the time of these threads) that I've brought this comparison up before and people always get off-track and think I'm saying Heaven's Edge are a better band and don't actually get the point I'm trying to make about the production alone.

But I actually agree with you. I think Heaven's Edge were a significantly better band, and if the debut didn't prove it, 'Some other place some other time' sure as heck showed it, tenfold. And the production quality on that one is about on par with the Valentine album, lol. ;) 

It's sad that Heaven's Edge will always "just be another hair band that never made it," because I do think they were a significantly awesome band. 

Valentine > Heavens Edge Live.

having seen both 😉

18 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I'd have to disagree, personally. 

From 1989 to 1993 I personally much preferred Ted's voice. As in, I thought he sung the songs better and his voice was far more likeable, to me. He was actually my favourite vocalist from the era, with Rory Cathey and another dude I can't think of. 

I admit he's not what he used to be, but from 1989 to 1993 he was far and away my preference in every regard. 

Paul Laine > Ted live

having seen both in their heyday 😉

HOWEVER  as the others have alluded Ted is a better fit for D2

50 minutes ago, Glen said:

Valentine > Heavens Edge Live.

having seen both 😉

That actually surprises me. Out of genuine curiosity, what made this so? Just more energy from Valentine? How was Reggie Wu live? 

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

That actually surprises me. Out of genuine curiosity, what made this so? Just more energy from Valentine? How was Reggie Wu live? 

because Hugo and the guitarist were sensational 

• My Little Pony
On 2/13/2022 at 4:45 AM, Ponen said:

Yeah. I'd love to go back and experience this, and a lot of other albums, for the first time, again. 

• Like 1