Corona

simo

didn't watch that vid but it still surprises me that folk think this is a control thing.

over 1000 people a day are still dying in the UK and our health system is close to being overwhelmed. Still. 

It's not an all or nothing proposition. In areas where COVID is spiking and wreaking havoc with the medical system, of course there need to be restrictions in place. However, look in many of the areas NOT showing high incidence rates of COVID... when you see draconian rules put in place in those areas, that should set off alarm bells.

maybe. But these new strains are spreading nearly 70% faster than last year so you can understand the reason why lockdowns are being imposed, plus nearly the whole of the UK is fooked at mo, so there aren't any 'OK' parts.

An ex colleague of mine was on a ventilator for 3 weeks and nearly died. he described the experience as terrifying. Fìt guy around 55.

Just hope the vaccines keep rolling out. Personally cannot wait for mine. 

• My Little Pony

My buddy's dad got it around Christmas. There was an outbreak at his assisted living centre. Survived. He's 80 and in no way fit. Had multiple issues prior to the virus. Not only did he pull through, but he's doing better now than before he had it. 

This isn't to discredit anyone's experience, it's just too point out the are so many variables to this and any illness.

Another buddy and his wife had it at the start of January. They're fine now, and aren't terribly healthy people. 

1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

My buddy's dad got it around Christmas. There was an outbreak at his assisted living centre. Survived. He's 80 and in no way fit. Had multiple issues prior to the virus. Not only did he pull through, but he's doing better now than before he had it. 

This isn't to discredit anyone's experience, it's just too point out the are so many variables to this and any illness.

Another buddy and his wife had it at the start of January. They're fine now, and aren't terribly healthy people. 

he was lucky. Many care homes in UK have been decimated 

12 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Keep the populace in fear as way to administer control. It's not just the way in Australia; it's everywhere the world over. It's a way for the elites (mostly the Left) to lock down the people and slowly erode rights, thus firming up their control mechanisms.

After a period of time, as the old adage about boiling a frog states, the people as a whole will come to accept it as "the new normal" and anyone daring to speak the blasphemy of restoring liberties once universally accepted as rights will be branded "dangerous to the people" and will be canceled and deplatformed, possibly even incarcerated.

Heck, we've already seen government officials recommending reporting your neighbors for having get-togethers or not wearing masks... the type of shit we haven't seen since Stalin, and before that under Hitler... yet it's frighteningly acceptable to so many.

It's Orwellian.

I don't know that we will ever be allowed to return to a pre-COVID "normal". That would require relinquishing control... the elites have lucked into circumstances that allow them to lock everyone down seemingly forever.

If you'd posted that a couple of years ago, I'd think you were a crazy conspiracy theorist.
Sadly, with everything that's gone down, there is a lot of merit to it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

If you'd posted that a couple of years ago, I'd think you were a crazy conspiracy theorist.

it figures that you are in Australia. if you lived in the UK you'd think a lot differently. 

8 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Yep, me too. In exactly the same boat. When I first heard these rumblings I thought to myself, nah dudes, you're just overthinking it. And as with everything there are those that go too far with full-blown conspiracy theories. Just like on the other side of the coin there are the Glens of the world. ;) I'm sure the reality is somewhere in the middle, but the more this goes on the more obvious it is that it's far more than just some "pandemic."

Again, I can only speak for what's happening in Australia, but even the die-hard Glens must be dropping in number daily, the way the government is carrying on here. I don't know if it's just us trying to fit in with the rest of the world or what, but the response is constantly so mind-numbingly disproportionate that it makes you want to leave the stupid fucking country and go live on a rock in the ocean somewhere. As a mad patriot, I've never hated my own country so much as I do now. 

But like Dan says, this thing is global. And I'm starting to have no doubt at all that this is all about getting us ready for "the new normal." I hate it for myself, but having young kids and seeing where this is going... kind of heartbreaking.  

Nice to see a bit of sense from the Karpethead on the subject. Sadly, I see "We're all gonna die" Glen hasn't moved his eyeballs away from a TV News screen for over a year now. You may prove me wrong, Glen, but when you look around you and all the people you know, how has covid-19 the disease itself decimated those you know and know of?

I'm not saying that this thing hasn't had an affect in particular places in the world, and we all did our part "willingly" for a good chunk of time over the past year. But when you live in a country of 25 million people that basically shuts half itself down every time a single case is detected somewhere - it just eats away at you. The border closures, the masks, that constant inane drivel about the pandemic... it's so mind-numbing. Like I've said elsewhere, I stopped watching and listening to news in March (I've noticed that a lot of people have done similar) but you still can't escape it.

Anyway, didn't want to go on because I don't want to get into it again, but in line with what Dan was saying, my biggest concern at the moment is how little the vaccine is actually going to change things. I just need this mask garbage to end asap, though I don't think it will. We're fined $200 for not wearing a mask on public transport - and it is heavily policed - when we have not had a case in NSW in 20 days.  And that's even without me going into where I stand on masks, whether there's 10,000 cases or one. But that's another story for another day.

I agree 100% with Dan on the whole fear thing. It has been drilled into us from day one that this thing is going to kill us all and Glen is not alone is his completely unreasonable fear of this thing. It has been drilled into everyone who turns on the news at any time any where over the last year. It's been relentless, and it's sure as fuck worked on the masses. 

mate if we had no cases in 20 days I'd be doing cartwheels. 

try 20,000 cases and over 1000 deaths yesterday. Would you like that in your country. The country you now despise because you have to wear a mask? ffs. idiot

over 4000 people hospitalised. Mostly on ventilators in my country.

And that's good.

2 weeks ago it was 50,000 cases and 2000 deaths a day.

Stop being an idiot 

And as for has this affected me. Yes it has.

one ex colleague nearly died last week after spending 3 weeks on a ventilator.

My cousins husband nearly died and his brother did die.

5 of my current work colleagues have had it (out of a team of 15) and my good friend Dylan - black 28, fit - was severely ill, just recovering now.

Also when you see pics of your local hospital with queues of ambulances outside cos there are no more beds, and oxygen supplies running low to the point of deciding who lives and who dies, then yes that is a concern.

if I was 25 I probably wouldn't be so concerned but at my you do wonder and I know for a fact if my parents caught they would be finished.

But am I living in fear. NO. Do I follow the rules. HELL FUCKING YES I DO.

So fuck you. and fuck everyone's conspiracy theories. 

over and out

14 minutes ago, Glen said:

if I was 25 I probably wouldn't be so concerned but at my you do wonder and I know for a fact if my parents caught they would be finished.

This is what they've made everyone believe, and by no means do I want to test this out myself, mostly because of what we've been fed through the media. But the thing you'll never acknowledge is that for every severe case there may be of this thing, there are more than 99 that are not severe. 

It was a bad move on my part asking someone like you for details because without knowing other factors it's a pointless exchange. 

And yes, you are certainly not living in fear. You showed that clearly in those two posts. You sure showed me. 

You sure are an expert on other countries, too. I can't remember shoving my knowledge on the state of play in England down your throat, but you've got Australia all figured out. Sorry for being such a cunt - I forgot that the situation in Australia is identical to the situation in England. My apologies. 

8 minutes ago, Geoff said:

This is what they've made everyone believe, and by no means do I want to test this out myself, mostly because of what we've been fed through the media. But the thing you'll never acknowledge is that for every severe case there may be of this thing, there are more than 99 that are not severe. 

It was a bad move on my part asking someone like you for details because without knowing other factors it's a pointless exchange. 

And yes, you are certainly not living in fear. You showed that clearly in those two posts. You sure showed me. 

You sure are an expert on other countries, too. I can't remember shoving my knowledge on the state of play in England down your throat, but you've got Australia all figured out. Sorry for being such a cunt - I forgot that the situation in Australia is identical to the situation in England. My apologies. 

well stop singling me out as fear mongering then.

merely pointing out that the situation in our country has been pretty grim and remains so.

My home town was a hotspot in the UK in the last month or so. 

reasons for concern yes. reasons to follow the lockdown measures yes. Living in fear, no. 

to be fair if there were no cases iñ the UK for 20 days and we still had lockdown measures I'd be pissed too. 

I'm not even sure if you can be fined in the UK for not wearing a mask - maybe on public transport. 

3 minutes ago, Glen said:

well stop singling me out as fear mongering then.

merely pointing out that the situation in our country has been pretty grim and remains so.

My home town was a hotspot in the UK in the last month or so. 

reasons for concern yes. reasons to follow the lockdown measures yes. Living in fear, no. 

I genuinely don't think I'm singling you out. Your posts do that for you. 

I'm not saying there's been nothing at all to this virus but if all I did was read your posts I'd probably have committed suicide by now because the world is basically on fire and we're all destined to die from coronavirus. You've never acknowledged the extremely high survival rate, and as above... you never even look at a video or any thing at all that might propose a different view to the way you think. When I read your posts I feel like I'm reading excerpts of the six o'clock news without any consideration - ever, across multiple issues we've discussed on this forum - for any line of thought that may not be directly in line with what the mainstream media says. 

I just think it's such an unhealthy way to exist and it makes me wonder if you've ever given a single thought to the possibility that maybe everything they're shoving down your face isn't really an accurate reflection of what the real world around you actually is. 

8 minutes ago, Glen said:

to be fair if there were no cases iñ the UK for 20 days and we still had lockdown measures I'd be pissed too. 

I'm not even sure if you can be fined in the UK for not wearing a mask - maybe on public transport. 

And before you flew off the handle, that was my point. I've acknowledged different situations in different countries... but what's going on around the world is not going on in Australia. We have completely lost all semblance of common sense in the country and to me it is a real, genuine concern.

Like I said, a single case in this country sets off a chain reaction, every time, which is quite frankly just plain embarrassing and it affects - in some way - the 25 million rest of us. And there seems to be no acknowledgment, ever, for the amount of lives it fucks with, every single time. Yet it happens, time and time again. It's completely infuriating. 

15 minutes ago, Glen said:

And also, if you'd taken a few minutes to look at the video I posted you'd probably have figured this out a hell of a lot sooner too, before losing it again. 

7 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I genuinely don't think I'm singling you out. Your posts do that for you. 

I'm not saying there's been nothing at all to this virus but if all I did was read your posts I'd probably have committed suicide by now because the world is basically on fire and we're all destined to die from coronavirus. You've never acknowledged the extremely high survival rate, and as above... you never even look at a video or any thing at all that might propose a different view to the way you think. When I read your posts I feel like I'm reading excerpts of the six o'clock news without any consideration - ever, across multiple issues we've discussed on this forum - for any line of thought that may not be directly in line with what the mainstream media says. 

I just think it's such an unhealthy way to exist and it makes me wonder if you've ever given a single thought to the possibility that maybe everything they're shoving down your face isn't really an accurate reflection of what the real world around you actually is. 

what has this got to do with the media??

everyday we have updates live on TV where the media quiz the government on what is going on. Mostly they are against the draconian rules.

This advice is coming straight from health UK - this is not me fear mongering these are straight stats on our cases / hospitalization / deaths etc. I drive / walk past our hospital and see the carnage in the car park, the lines of ambulances.

Many people survive this yes but at the same time nearly 2000 people a day dying is un fucking acceptable....and when I see people not wearing masks or not following the rules it infuriates me as I do not want to live in a lockdown.

I want life to get back to normal so that I can go to the pub and attend a gig ffs 

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

And also, if you'd taken a few minutes to look at the video I posted you'd probably have figured this out a hell of a lot sooner too, before losing it again. 

I lost it cos you continually say I am fear mongering or living in fear. 

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

what has this got to do with the media??

everyday we have updates live on TV where the media quiz the government on what is going on. Mostly they are against the draconian rules.

This advice is coming straight from health UK - this is not me fear mongering these are straight stats on our cases / hospitalization / deaths etc. I drive / walk past our hospital and see the carnage in the car park, the lines of ambulances.

Many people survive this yes but at the same time nearly 2000 people a day dying is un fucking acceptable....and when I see people not wearing masks or not following the rules it infuriates me as I do not want to live in a lockdown.

I want life to get back to normal so that I can go to the pub and attend a gig ffs 

And don't we all, but I think the point of the last few pages is that "going back to normal" is looking less and less possible every day, rather than more possible, considering this vaccine business. It's already been acknowledged in Australia that restrictions will last well after the vaccines start rolling out here. 

The main thing I really want to go back to any kind of "normal" would be travel, and I just see no way on earth that this will happen any time soon. We can't even attempt to book anything within Australia because as noted above, every single time a single case pops up anywhere in the country, half the borders shut and leave everyone whose tried to get on with life completely and utterly fucked. On several occasions now, I understand, it's happened mid-flight where a plane-load of people are told their plans have been completely anus-fucked. There is no point trying to book any kind of holiday within Australia, let alone outside the place. I'm worried my kids will be teenagers before we can actually have a decent holiday with them again.  

11 minutes ago, Glen said:

I lost it cos you continually say I am fear mongering or living in fear. 

Like I said above, I don't think I need to say anything like that as your posts speak for themselves. You surely can't deny that the Covid picture you have painted on this forum of is one of a deadly disease that is destroying the human race. 

3 minutes ago, Geoff said:

And don't we all, but I think the point of the last few pages is that "going back to normal" is looking less and less possible every day, rather than more possible, considering this vaccine business. It's already been acknowledged in Australia that restrictions will last well after the vaccines start rolling out here. 

The main thing I really want to go back to any kind of "normal" would be travel, and I just see no way on earth that this will happen any time soon. We can't even attempt to book anything within Australia because as noted above, every single time a single case pops up anywhere in the country, half the borders shut and leave everyone whose tried to get on with life completely and utterly fucked. On several occasions now, I understand, it's happened mid-flight where a plane-load of people are told their plans have been completely anus-fucked. There is no point trying to book any kind of holiday within Australia, let alone outside the place. I'm worried my kids will be teenagers before we can actually have a decent holiday with them again.  

well it could be worse, you could be in the UK.

we have been home schooling our kids ever since Christmas. Most pubs and restaurants have been closed since Nov.

Rather than moaning be thankful that the situation over there is a hell of a lot better than most of Europe ;)

And if you want it to stay that way my advice would be to follow the rules. When I holidayed in August last year we had virtually NO cases in the UK. maybe less than 50. 

Now look at the shitfest..... this starts slowly but can soon spiral out of control. our government has been consistently too slow to lockdown and here we are.

I'd be actually grateful if I was ýou that Australia do take it so seriously

3 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Like I said above, I don't think I need to say anything like that as your posts speak for themselves. You surely can't deny that the Covid picture you have painted on this forum of is one of a deadly disease that is destroying the human race. 

no not destroying the human race but I am sure that the 100K people who are now dead in the UK and all their affected families would not support your relaxed viewpoint 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yep, me too. In exactly the same boat. When I first heard these rumblings I thought to myself, nah dudes, you're just overthinking it. And as with everything there are those that go too far with full-blown conspiracy theories. Just like on the other side of the coin there are the Glens of the world. ;) I'm sure the reality is somewhere in the middle, but the more this goes on the more obvious it is that it's far more than just some "pandemic."

this ^^^^ my friend is the problem on this forum. Not me stating facts about the sorry state of the UK and it's quite frankly disastrous handling on the pandemic, but people peddling ridiculous conspiracy theories 

It is just a pandemic

And it is just a vaccine 

6 minutes ago, Glen said:

no not destroying the human race but I am sure that the 100K people who are now dead in the UK and all their affected families would not support your relaxed viewpoint 

I'll just add that it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep articles like this in mind;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-s-official-coronavirus-death-toll-likely-to-have-been-overstated-report-finds-1.4295324

That is a complete random plucking after I googled Ireland as I heard some pretty damning statistics recently about the way death statistics have been recorded during this whole "pandemic." And it was just because what I was listening to was an Irish lass speaking about Ireland specifically, though it is not something exclusive to Ireland. But I don't like delving into this, essentially "trivialising" any death. 

I have been grateful for a long time to be in Australia during all this - still am if I'm being totally honest. But it doesn't mean that what's going on here is all good either. One can be sensible, cautious and logical, without being a complete fucking idiot about it. And it seems that being a complete fucking idiot about it is currently the preferred way to go in Australia. 

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I'll just add that it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep articles like this in mind;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-s-official-coronavirus-death-toll-likely-to-have-been-overstated-report-finds-1.4295324

That is a complete random plucking after I googled Ireland as I heard some pretty damning statistics recently about the way death statistics have been recorded during this whole "pandemic." And it was just because what I was listening to was an Irish lass speaking about Ireland specifically, though it is not something exclusive to Ireland. But I don't like delving into this, essentially "trivialising" any death. 

I have been grateful for a long time to be in Australia during all this - still am if I'm being totally honest. But it doesn't mean that what's going on here is all good either. One can be sensible, cautious and logical, without being a complete fucking idiot about it. And it seems that being a complete fucking idiot about it is currently the preferred way to go in Australia. 

as I said above. Be careful what you wish for. Our governments lax handling after the summer definitely lead to the shit were in now.

as I said virtually no cases in Aug / Sept to 10s of thousands by beginning of November!

you don't want that on your doorstep trust me