Corona

simo

The bit that worries me is that we're going to go from the 'normal' process to millions in a very short time. Usually there is time to spot if something was missed in trials but this time it's big bang. 

On an entirely selfish level I see no scenario where I'll be vaccinated before the mid to late summer. I'm not uncomfortable with that. 

That said, as soon as my partners parents and my close friend fighting cancer are vaccinated I can relax. Don't want to be the one to infect somebody else and kill them.  

Will be interesting to see the point at which things do get a lot better. Once you have the most vulnerable and medical staff vaccinated you'd think we can start opening things up as the death rates should plummet. Things won't be 'normal' but I'd really like to think by March/April time we can have most things open, even if with restrictions. 

Edited by PeterS

• 2023 Gold Donors
7 hours ago, Glen said:

I guess we will know soon enough as thousands have already been vaccinated in the UK.

I get the worry....it doesn't fill me with glee, but I've seen loads of different consultants on the TV now from different countries basically saying it's harmless. 

however I must admit the Oxford vaccine sounds better as this is just like a flu jab but the test trial was not quite effective 

Yeah, being in Australia, it's sometimes easy to forget just how scary it must be for you guys in Europe, the UK and the US. I'm not prepared to take it, but I completely understand why you would. 

21 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

I see it's mutated in the UK and they're dealing with a new strain now.

Yeah they have almost blockaded the UK but it is too little too late...the new strain has already spread far beyond the UK....fortunately the vaccines are supposed to work on this new strain....

3 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

Yeah they have almost blockaded the UK but it is too little too late...the new strain has already spread far beyond the UK....fortunately the vaccines are supposed to work on this new strain....

The dramatic rise in figures here would make more sense if it's the new strain. 

I think we're going to be closing all the borders again for Christmas. 

Only very slight silver lining is we look like having a White Christmas here. Enough snow and people wouldn't be able to travel anyway. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
7 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

fortunately the vaccines are supposed to work on this new strain....

Hmmm, let's hope so for the sake of those who have already been vaccinated. 

We could be looking at annual inoculations for everbody. Much like the pre Covid flu shots that were advised every year. 

This of course, apparently, is more serious than the flu and this is only early days. If it's evolved into another strain already, then how long before it becomes even more deadly than it is, allegedly. 

Great news for big Pharma.

Covid vaccinations, if effective and wide spread, would eradicate it in no time, but if new strains occur every year then we could find ourselves (the whole World, mind you) in a constant state of vaccinations.

• My Little Pony
On 12/17/2020 at 12:28 AM, Glen said:

what is the drug called? i wonder how long he would recommend people take it for? Forever? this virus could never go or be eradicated.  And what are the side effects of this drug ? There has been no wide spread trial. 

Is it artemisinin? He said it won the Nobel Prize in 2015, and that's the drug that won in 2015. 

Or it might be ivermectin (sounds closer to what he was saying) which is a synthetic derivative of artemisinin. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
8 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Is it artemisinin? He said it won the Nobel Prize in 2015, and that's the drug that won in 2015. 

Or it might be ivermectin (sounds closer to what he was saying) which is a synthetic derivative of artemisinin. 

Yeah, I can't remember the name either, but i'd rather take a drug that has been thoroughly trialed and tested with regards to Human safety than some yearly brewed up concoction. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, I can't remember the name either, but i'd rather take a drug that has been thoroughly trialed and tested with regards to Human safety than some yearly brewed up concoction. 

Lets face it we are at the mercy of big pharma and politicians, take it and most likely be safe or not take it and maybe die....we will probably have to have a vaccination every year just like influenza...if I were into conspiracy theories, I'd have to consider that this virus was one big setup to control the masses...

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

Lets face it we are at the mercy of big pharma and politicians, take it and most likely be safe or not take it and maybe die....we will probably have to have a vaccination every year just like influenza...if I were into conspiracy theories, I'd have to consider that this virus was one big setup to control the masses...

It's the conjecture that pisses me off the most. Not necessarily with you, but with what the media keeps saying. It could just as well be said, "take it and maybe die or not take it and most likely be safe."

If the drug that doctor was talking about is artemisinin, that is a natural drug. It is extracted from the leaves of the sweet wormwood--latin name is Artemisia annua--and was discovered in 1972. It's been used since to treat malaria, and its derivatives have been used to fight numerous other parasites, with very little adverse effects. 

I would be much more comfortable taking that than a vaccine that hasn't experienced a full trial period. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

It's the conjecture that pisses me off the most. Not necessarily with you, but with what the media keeps saying. It could just as well be said, "take it and maybe die or not take it and most likely be safe."

If the drug that doctor was talking about is artemisinin, that is a natural drug. It is extracted from the leaves of the sweet wormwood--latin name is Artemisia annua--and was discovered in 1972. It's been used since to treat malaria, and its derivatives have been used to fight numerous other parasites, with very little adverse effects. 

I would be much more comfortable taking that than a vaccine that hasn't experienced a full trial period. 

the vaccine has experienced a full trial period.

it's just that normally the procedure is incredibly slowed up by red tape, delays etc.

every effort has been made to put this top of the pile. 

That may be the case, however we don't know what medium- or long-term side effects or interactions with other medications or conditions there might be with the vaccine. Those are things that only time will reveal.

I don't trust that corners haven't been cut. Anything rushed to market for political or economic reasons sends off alarm bells.

I'm slated to work from home until July of 2021 anyway, so I'll pass for now. Talk to me after the vaccine has been out there in widespread adoption for 6 months.

9 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

That may be the case, however we don't know what medium- or long-term side effects or interactions with other medications or conditions there might be with the vaccine. Those are things that only time will reveal.

I don't trust that corners haven't been cut. Anything rushed to market for political or economic reasons sends off alarm bells.

I'm slated to work from home until July of 2021 anyway, so I'll pass for now. Talk to me after the vaccine has been out there in widespread adoption for 6 months.

no way I'll get it before 6 months anyway.

tbh it's looking desperate in the UK. Spreading crazily even with lockdown. 

need to get the vaccines out & quick - it's the only glimmer of hope 

• My Little Pony
23 hours ago, Glen said:

need to get the vaccines out & quick - it's the only glimmer of hope 

But what if it's not "the only glimmer of hope"?

That's what we're saying. If this doctor, and his colleagues, are saying there is a drug that is readily available, much cheaper, and has been used and monitored for 50 years, that shows it is highly effective at combating this virus, why would we not explore that option? Why are we not exploring that option? They won't even review the thousands of tests and studies being done with this drug across the globe? What have they got to lose?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

But what if it's not "the only glimmer of hope"?

That's what we're saying. If this doctor, and his colleagues, are saying there is a drug that is readily available, much cheaper, and has been used and monitored for 50 years, that shows it is highly effective at combating this virus, why would we not explore that option? Why are we not exploring that option? They won't even review the thousands of tests and studies being done with this drug across the globe? What have they got to lose?

one vaccine shot sounds better to me than taking a drug forever 

• My Little Pony
30 minutes ago, Glen said:

one vaccine shot sounds better to me than taking a drug forever 

Sure. 

But nobody ever said you'll only ever need to take the vaccine once. More of that conjecture circulating. 

26 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Sure. 

But nobody ever said you'll only ever need to take the vaccine once. More of that conjecture circulating. 

once a year vs everyday 🤔

On 12/22/2020 at 8:56 AM, Doggy said:

Hoping you ( Geoff ) and family are safe.

Loving the photos you putting up on your book page

Haha, thanks. I saw a bit about the Sydney outbreak but have just been camping with my little ones for a few days, 35km from phone coverage. Ridiculously picturesque spot and probably my best memories from this entire scabby year all crammed into a few days. Saving the best for last.

Maybe I'll ruin my buzz and look at some news headlines... Probably won't, though. :) Hope you're doing well too, mate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlphaMale said:

Didn't want to throw this out there but I'm in my third week in the hospital battling covid.

I am starting to feel better but it hasn't been easy.

Hang on, buddy and get well soon!

2 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Didn't want to throw this out there but I'm in my third week in the hospital battling covid.

Glad you're on the other side, cob. Good luck in recovery. 

4 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

jeez. didn't know. good to hear you're improving 👍

• 2023 Gold Donors
5 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Being in hospital over Christmas and New Years is rough.

Take care mate.