Von Groove - s/t

Geoff

I was listening to this album today and just posted a couple of my favourite songs from it in another thread ('House of dreams' and 'Sweet pain') and I noticed an extended track listing. My album ends with 'Sweet Pain.' Do you guys have versions with 'Soldier of Fortune' and 'King of your world' (live) on them?

Just googled them, and 'Soldier of fortune' is rubbish;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPwovlTdk7A

I couldn't find 'King of your world' anywhere. Does anyone have a copy of this song to share?

Anyway, what do you guys think of the album? I'm sure we probably all roughly agree on the best songs (Once is not enough, Every beat of my heart, House of dreams and Sweet pain), but what of the rest?

If ever a 13 track album should have been released as a 10 track debut, this was it. But what would you get rid of? So many options. Definitely the instrumental, but then 'C'mon C'mon,' 'Can't get too much,' 'All the way down' 'Slave to sin' or 'Love keeps bringing me home?' A lot of very standard songs on this one that could easily have been left off. I'd probably go with the instrumental and 'C'mon C'mon' and 'Slave to sin' being removed off the final cut. But whatever the case, this should really have been a 10 track debut.

I was listening to this album today and just posted a couple of my favourite songs from it in another thread ('House of dreams' and 'Sweet pain') and I noticed an extended track listing. My album ends with 'Sweet Pain.' Do you guys have versions with 'Soldier of Fortune' and 'King of your world' (live) on them?

I couldn't find 'King of your world' anywhere. Does anyone have a copy of this song to share?

Anyway, what do you guys think of the album? I'm sure we probably all roughly agree on the best songs (Once is not enough, Every beat of my heart, House of dreams and Sweet pain), but what of the rest?

If ever a 13 track album should have been released as a 10 track debut, this was it. But what would you get rid of? So many options. Definitely the instrumental, but then 'C'mon C'mon,' 'Can't get too much,' 'All the way down' 'Slave to sin' or 'Love keeps bringing me home?' A lot of very standard songs on this one that could easily have been left off. I'd probably go with the instrumental and 'C'mon C'mon' and 'Slave to sin' being removed off the final cut. But whatever the case, this should really have been a 10 track debut.

I love 'Love keeps bringing me home' personally

It's okay... probably the best of the weak songs I mention. But the ballads are all weak on the album. 'Once in a lifetime' would be my pick of the bunch, but even that is only okay. And 'Arienne' is saved by the full band joining in, but still also a pretty weak song.

It's okay... probably the best of the weak songs I mention. But the ballads are all weak on the album. 'Once in a lifetime' would be my pick of the bunch, but even that is only okay. And 'Arienne' is saved by the full band joining in, but still also a pretty weak song.

Man, I'm all over those two tracks (Once and Arienne). Definitely two of my faves on that album. I love the emotion coming through in Shotton's vocals on Once in a Lifetime. Great album! Been too long for me to comment on the tunes that DON"T do it for me though.

• My Little Pony

"King of Your World" is awesome! Skip to 1:03:51 in this video, if it doesn't do so automatically.

https://youtu.be/u0LwUIpbmqE?t=1h3m51s

And I also love "Once in a Lifetime," but I don't think there is a weak track on the album.

"King of Your World" is awesome! Skip to 1:03:51 in this video, if it doesn't do so automatically.

https://youtu.be/u0LwUIpbmqE?t=1h3m51s

And I also love "Once in a Lifetime," but I don't think there is a weak track on the album.

Cool, thanks. That sounds like a good song. Why wasn't that on the album (studio version) in place of about 5-6 of those other songs? But why on earth was it not recorded, is a good question.

I have the Japanese press and need to check it out but I'm pretty confident it contained 'Soldier of Fortune' and 'King of Your World'

regarding weaker tracks hm I think my pick goes to 'Can't Get Too Much', 'Cmon Cmon', and 'Slave To Sin' (and also 'Smaug' but I left that one out), but those three still in the 7.5 to 8 region so I still assume they're all good and not fillers. Overall this is a strong record with 'Once Is Not Enough', 'Once In A Lifetime', 'House of Dreams', and 'Every Beat of My Heart' my best pick of the lot.

I have the Japanese press and need to check it out but I'm pretty confident it contained 'Soldier of Fortune' and 'King of Your World'

True, I already have it removed from the shelf ( scheduled for listening session in my impreza, next Monday) in order to establish and provide a more accurate opinion. Once in a lifetime is a regular tune for those champagne tasting afternoons.

Btw, I love the glossy OBI of this. :tumbsup:

• My Little Pony

Hhmm I received this disc in a trade from our very own speed demon some years ago and I can honestly say I remember nothing about it.

I can honestly say you need to listen to it more.

After reading everybodys comment, I drag out my copy for another listen.

Does anybody have same problem that I have, on some tracks I hear a helicopter sound in background?

I haven't listened to it in a while and am not the hugest fan of this one. I do remember the production being good but not great, it was just a long album with too much filler IMO.

Does anybody have same problem that I have, on some tracks I hear a helicopter sound in background?

I don't recall this problem but sometimes, a ticking hiss like helicopter sound also found in defect CD.

Are you sure the physical product is okay after being kept for a while?

I don't recall this problem but sometimes, a ticking hiss like helicopter sound also found in defect CD.

Either that or he was standing on a helipad listening to the album.

This album was a monster! Not a bad track....loved it! In fact, this, along with, Wildside and Killer Dwarfs, all came out around the same time and were just in constant rotation back then. I remember watching Metal Edge and the other mags for subesequent releases from Von Groove and was totally excited to get each new release from them. To me, they were a great band....and....are definitely one of the bands I would love to see (and hear) release new albums!

It is a physical copy, it starts on track 5.

• My Little Pony

And then it's on every track after 5?

And then it's on every track after 5?

Yes.

Man, while I was transferring my hand written data to spreadsheet, Iwas listening to the greatness of House of Dreams, man what a piece of melodic metal bliss is that. Its dokken/F.Angel riff shaved me with it's 1:1 resonance.

Yeah, I can also feel some cosmic microwave radiation in the background.