NELSON - New Album ''Peace Out''

simo

I have it to listen to, along with the new Mark Slaughter & Maxx Explosion. I want to hear the Nelson in my car though since there has been a big to-do about the production.

I spun these three today too. Nelson sounds like absolute shit production-wise, especially compared to the Maxx Explosion disc, but it does have very good songs. I like the album, but it's a shame it's so poorly produced. This kind of stuff makes a pretty solid difference with me these days.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think the production is that bad to be honest and I've heard a lot worse. Production wise, It's not as good as the last album and way off their previous albums, with the problem (yet again) lying in the drums department and the way they have been recorded. Apart from that, baring in mind they have a pretty simple, not that powerful 4 piece set up of vox, guitar, bass, drums with a smattering of keys etc, the mix is good and everything else sounds ok. The songs are pretty good on the whole too, without being earthshattering, with 'Hello Everybody (very Cheap Trick like in the chorus) 'Invincible' with it's 'borrowed' Boston guitar riff, 'Back In The Day' and 'Rock Star' being the highlights.

I didn't think the production is that bad to be honest and I've heard a lot worse. Production wise, It's not as good as the last album and way off their previous albums, with the problem (yet again) lying in the drums department and the way they have been recorded. Apart from that, baring in mind they have a pretty simple, not that powerful 4 piece set up of vox, guitar, bass, drums with a smattering of keys etc, the mix is good and everything else sounds ok. The songs are pretty good on the whole too, without being earthshattering, with 'Hello Everybody (very Cheap Trick like in the chorus) 'Invincible' with it's 'borrowed' Boston guitar riff, 'Back In The Day' and 'Rock Star' being the highlights.

The production is actually pretty decent. My one complaint is you cannot hear the snare drum much at all and in some parts of the album it is completely drowned out. But the album sounds pretty good in my opinion and the songs are very good.

Buying this album is a no brainer, does the Japan pressing sound any better?

Nope, it will sound the same but does include bonus track. "Idiot" I believe?

I think it sounds like shit.

The songs are pretty decent but ruined in my opinion....who the hell listened to this and deemed it fit for release????

I think it sounds like shit.

The songs are pretty decent but ruined in my opinion....who the hell listened to this and deemed it fit for release????

I def don't think it sounds like shit. I've heard much worse...

I'm with Jez, based on samples I got, I really don't hear any poor prods at all. I agree not the best production out there but definitely not horrible. First impression, this album is enjoyable, consistent enough but not sure if it can really hits the 90% mark, probably another 85% but quite solid for this dark year. I'll spin it again second times to see if score stays or swing

I'm with Jez, based on samples I got, I really don't hear any poor prods at all. I agree not the best production out there but definitely not horrible. First impression, this album is enjoyable, consistent enough but not sure if it can really hits the 90% mark, probably another 85% but quite solid for this dark year. I'll spin it again second times to see if score stays or swing

It's better than their last release but falls short of their first 4 releases in my opinion.

mp3 quality sucks compared to a silver pressed disc.

Yeah but plenty of other stuff sounds just fine of Spotify.

This sounds like a demo.

People can paint this however they want, but the fact is that this production is not up to scratch. Call it okay for a cheap band within out genre if you must, but it's not worthy of a band of Nelson's stature, and it is worse than any of their other albums. In a word, it is just shit. There is no need for an album to sound like this is 2015. No excuse at all, imo. And yeah, it's not inaudible, but there's no reason it shouldn't be perfect.

And I don't know Jarred, I feel like song-wise it's probably on par with their 2nd-4th albums... I think. Would need to really study them to make that assessment.

Nothing will ever touch the debut imo..........but songwise the new album is good.

Just let down by a poor sound.

And I agree with Geoff,,,,,it's not inaudible, just should be and deserved to be 100% better so that these songs could be enjoyed in their full glory.

Buying this album is a no brainer, does the Japan pressing sound any better?

Nope, it will sound the same but does include bonus track. "Idiot" I believe?

Cool, thanks I will save my hard earned money and purchase the regular version.

People can paint this however they want, but the fact is that this production is not up to scratch. Call it okay for a cheap band within out genre if you must, but it's not worthy of a band of Nelson's stature, and it is worse than any of their other albums. In a word, it is just shit. There is no need for an album to sound like this is 2015. No excuse at all, imo. And yeah, it's not inaudible, but there's no reason it shouldn't be perfect.

And I don't know Jarred, I feel like song-wise it's probably on par with their 2nd-4th albums... I think. Would need to really study them to make that assessment.

I have only been able to spin it a few times but I don't see it ever moving up my list. In trying, I found it really hard to rank their first five albums. Damn they're good....

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are funny about the production :)

I dont find it funny - basically ruined what would have otherwise been a very good album.

Wait til the new Degreed album hits later this month for an example of what a production should sound like - it was all done in house and on a shoe string budget.

There is no excuse for a shitty production in 2015.

• My Little Pony

Wait til the new Degreed album hits later this month for an example of what a production should sound like - it was all done in house and on a shoe string budget.

There is no excuse for a shitty production in 2015.

Was it?

But yeah, decent production isn't reserved for the big boys anymore. Take a look at the new Destine. Crowd-funded and sounds amazing. There really is no excuse.

There is never an excuse, really. When you hear what some people with absolutely zero budget can achieve, there is no excuse ever.

And Jarred, before you pass comment on other people's thoughts on production job, can I just remind you of your thoughts on Trixter's 'Hear!' As long as you continue to badmouth that one I can't take your comments on production seriously. ;)

"...a band of Nelson's stature..."

That had me laughing out loud......seriously....

Nelson had or has no stature. They put out 'ok' albums their entire career.......in the U.S. they were nothing but a one hit wonder that, in the hard rock community of fans, were practically non-existent. It always amuses me when I see or hear bands like Nelson....or Tyketto....Danger Danger.....or ______ insert countless others here that were 2nd and 3rd rate hard rock bands, being so revered now. I guess it's their popularity overseas.....which always is interesting and would be a great convo with a lot of the guys/girls on the forums.

And while I have purchased every album from both of those bands (I am a collector).....I don't really think that Nelson's new one has hit me in any great manner, as well.