NELSON - New Album ''Peace Out''

simo

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Analog f*****g tape, people. I'm telling you, stop the nonsense with all of this pure digital bullshit. Latest is not always the greatest.

So glad I grew-up when I did and learned early-on what good mastering sounds like. Hell, I have 35 year-old cassette tapes sourced from vinyl that sound better than 90% of the stuff released now-a-days.

• My Little Pony

Analog f*****g tape, people. I'm telling you, stop the nonsense with all of this pure digital bullshit. Latest is not always the greatest.

So glad I grew-up when I did and learned early-on what good mastering sounds like. Hell, I have 35 year-old cassette tapes sourced from vinyl that sound better than 90% of the stuff released now-a-days.

Yup. My friend graduated from an audio recording school two years ago, and he says there still isn't anything anywhere near as good as analogue. Everyone wants that old equipment, and they pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for it.

Yes, you think a band like Degreed can afford a big production???

It will still sound a million bucks.

As i said no excuse.

Agreed 100%. Didn't Matthew and Gunnar listen to the finished product before releasing it? They had to know the production was crap.

Yup. My friend graduated from an audio recording school two years ago, and he says there still isn't anything anywhere near as good as analogue. Everyone wants that old equipment, and they pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for it.

And there-in lies the problem. Doing things "right" is simply too costly now-a-days.

Gone are the million dollar recording budgets from giants such as Capitol, PolyGram, RCA and the like. Hell, even bands that have sold 50 million albums (Def Leppard) are basically self-producing and self-releasing new music at this point.

It's a matter of economics, but that's still no excuse to release something that sounds like complete shit. Louder is not an acronym for Better... that's why every single listening device ever made has a volume setting.

People can paint this however they want, but the fact is that this production is not up to scratch. Call it okay for a cheap band within out genre if you must, but it's not worthy of a band of Nelson's stature, and it is worse than any of their other albums. In a word, it is just shit. There is no need for an album to sound like this is 2015. No excuse at all, imo. And yeah, it's not inaudible, but there's no reason it shouldn't be perfect.

And I don't know Jarred, I feel like song-wise it's probably on par with their 2nd-4th albums... I think. Would need to really study them to make that assessment.

"...a band of Nelson's stature..."

That had me laughing out loud......seriously....

Nelson had or has no stature. They put out 'ok' albums their entire career.......in the U.S. they were nothing but a one hit wonder that, in the hard rock community of fans, were practically non-existent. It always amuses me when I see or hear bands like Nelson....or Tyketto....Danger Danger.....or ______ insert countless others here that were 2nd and 3rd rate hard rock bands, being so revered now. I guess it's their popularity overseas.....which always is interesting and would be a great convo with a lot of the guys/girls on the forums.

And while I have purchased every album from both of those bands (I am a collector).....I don't really think that Nelson's new one has hit me in any great manner, as well.

To clarify what I meant by that statement, it was purely to say that the band was signed to a major label for 5-6 years in their prime and that they had a hit single that was at least big enough to get played and chart well in Australia... which to me is a sign of a band that did okay.

Bands like Tyketto and Danger Danger certainly did not get that far, as far as I am aware. I'm not saying anything good or bad about the music; just that Nelson were moderately successful compared to many others within the genre.

Like them or not, Nelson was hot-shit here in the States for at least a short bit of time when AFTER THE RAIN was first released. Comparing them to Tyketto is giving Tyketto WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much credit.

Danger Danger earned mild success as "Naughty Naughty" was in constant MTV rotation for a bit. Shame that album didn't fair better as it's absolutely one of my fav's from the era and REALLY good. I recommend anyone not familiar with the entire album check it out as early as right now. "Rock America" and "Feels Like Love" are fantastic.

Oh hell, that entire DD CD kills. So very under appreciated. Listening to "Bang Bang" on youtube right now. I'll definitely pull this one off the shelf for a spin or two tonight.

Check the 1989 thread mate ;-)

Like them or not, Nelson was hot-shit here in the States for at least a short bit of time when AFTER THE RAIN was first released. Comparing them to Tyketto is giving Tyketto WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much credit.

Danger Danger earned mild success as "Naughty Naughty" was in constant MTV rotation for a bit. Shame that album didn't fair better as it's absolutely one of my fav's from the era and REALLY good. I recommend anyone not familiar with the entire album check it out as early as right now. "Rock America" and "Feels Like Love" are fantastic.

Nelson definitely sold more units....mostly due to the Nelson family name (and that they were twins with long blonde hair) pushing publicists/marketing companies to jump on that bandwagon. I guess the fact that Tyketto and Nelson were on the same label made it hard for them to get the press when Geffen jumped behind Nelson.

Among the many hard rock fans I hung around, and knowing the scene back then......girls were the biggest fans of Nelson because they were a bit poofy sound wise (and had the twin blond thing goin' on), while most hard rockers went in the direction of Guns N Roses, Skid Row, Firehouse, Steelheart, etc. It would be interesting to see if Nelson even had the strength (even though their album sold well) to tour as a headliner in arenas back then? I know I never heard of them doing so?? Maybe you remember?

I agree with you about Danger Danger's second album.....pretty good, for sure.

In the end, because I LOVE most of the music of our era....and all of it aftward, I own all of this stuff...and can appreciate it and am glad they a lot of bands still put out new music. Hell.....the new Trixter is excellent and they were certainly minority status back in the day, but that hasn't stopped them from really putting out some great stuff over the years! **Road of a Thousand Dreams being on of my favorite songs, period!**

Nelson definitely sold more units....mostly due to the Nelson family name (and that they were twins with long blonde hair) pushing publicists/marketing companies to jump on that bandwagon. I guess the fact that Tyketto and Nelson were on the same label made it hard for them to get the press when Geffen jumped behind Nelson.

Among the many hard rock fans I hung around, and knowing the scene back then......girls were the biggest fans of Nelson because they were a bit poofy sound wise (and had the twin blond thing goin' on), while most hard rockers went in the direction of Guns N Roses, Skid Row, Firehouse, Steelheart, etc. It would be interesting to see if Nelson even had the strength (even though their album sold well) to tour as a headliner in arenas back then? I know I never heard of them doing so?? Maybe you remember?

I agree with you about Danger Danger's second album.....pretty good, for sure.

In the end, because I LOVE most of the music of our era....and all of it aftward, I own all of this stuff...and can appreciate it and am glad they a lot of bands still put out new music. Hell.....the new Trixter is excellent and they were certainly minority status back in the day, but that hasn't stopped them from really putting out some great stuff over the years! **Road of a Thousand Dreams being on of my favorite songs, period!**

Tyketto opened for Nelson in 1991. They had a show in my area and they were both great live bands.

Based on Nelson's website, they claimed that 'After The Rain' sold 6.5 millions world wide and according to Vaughn's website, looks like 'Don't Come Easy' didn't sell millions as the fans thought it deserved, so it's clear that Nelson won the sales battle

Score-wise, I think both albums are really even at around 85%

After the Rain smokes Dont Come Easy imo.

ATR is almost perfect melodic rock. For me anyway.

Imagine if ATR was released in 1988 rather than 1990, and the brothers were asked to go on tour with Bon Jovi, for instance. $$$$$$$$$

I suppose the same can be said for many bands / albums.

'Don't come easy' has the best 3 songs on it out of both albums, but overall I'd agree 'After the rain' is a little more consistent. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd probably rate 'After the rain' higher too. Both albums are pretty patchy, though, if I'm being honest, and could really have done without songs like 'More than ever' and 'Lay your body down.'

Love both albums, and "maybe" Nelson is a little more consistent as a whole but Forever Young and Wings smoke anything on ATR imo.

Patchy? Weirdo ;-)

I love 'More Than Ever'

Yes, More Than Ever is a good song.

For me, 'After The Rain' has maybe 3 or 4 songs worth around 7.5 to 7.75 but it has some 9 or 10, while Tyketto maybe evenly spread around 8 to 8.5 with couple of 9 or 10. I think in the end, 'After The Rain' might edge it a bit by 2-3%, haven't spin Tyketto again after a while so maybe later when I got the chance, but I'm seeing a balance score between these two

Surprisingly, consensus on the main page, Tyketto at 88% (56 ratings) vs Nelson at 83% (42 ratings)

'Don't come easy' has the best 3 songs on it out of both albums, but overall I'd agree 'After the rain' is a little more consistent. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd probably rate 'After the rain' higher too. Both albums are pretty patchy, though, if I'm being honest, and could really have done without songs like 'More than ever' and 'Lay your body down.'

Agree both albums are patchy. But when they're good...they're very good!

Patchy? Weirdo ;-)

I love 'More Than Ever'

Weren't you the guy bashing PBF for their lyrics? ;)

"Do I, do I love you, baby?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
More than ever
Do I, do I need you, baby?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
More than ever
More than ever, baby"
So painful it's hard to comprehend, and the melody is as banal as the lyrics. Sorry dudes, it's a pretty terrible song. Both albums have at least as many weak songs as great songs, but like Justin does correctly say, when they're good they're absolutely fantastic.