Worst of 2014 thus far?

AlphaMale

Okay..... we've heard everybody's favorites for the year so far. So let's flip the script and see what discs people thought were bad in 2014 so far.

My Worst Disc Of The Year would have to go to FOZZY.

"Do You Want To Start A War" is complete garbage and I have liked this band's previous discs.

A few other total misses:

Ace Frehley's "Space Invader"

Fatal Smile's pile of shit "White Trash Heroes"

Julian Angels Beautiful Beast - Breaking Down The Barricades

Loud Lion - Die Tough

2 absolute stinkers. Even Steel Panther is better than these 2 and that is saying something.

Loud Lion - Die Tough

2 absolute stinkers. Even Steel Panther is better than these 2 and that is saying something.

Yeah.... I agree with you. Those two were very bad.

Loud Lion - Die Tough

The a Panther album is awesome!

Free Spirit - All The Shades Of Darkened Light

Been praised on all major AOR/Melodic rock sites as somewhat of a masterpiece, but all I hear is amateurish modern AOR rock with awful vocals and not a good track in sight... don't take my word for it though, everybody else seems to love it so I guess there's something wrong with me.

Been praised on all major AOR/Melodic rock sites as somewhat of a masterpiece, but all I hear is amateurish modern AOR rock with awful vocals and not a good track in sight... don't take my word for it though, everybody else seems to love it so I guess there's something wrong with me.

There IS something wrong with you after all... :whistle:

Second that. Sorry Kim hahahaha

Second that. Sorry Kim hahahaha

Yeah that band is pretty good....

Great that you guys liked it, but it did nothing for me... sorry

I don't think it's great, but if I remember I didn't mind a track or two.

Loud Lion - Die Tough

The a Panther album is awesome!

+1 love the new Panther.

Ok,

Just shit -

KXM - tuneless garbage

Fatal Smile - complete rubbish

Red Dragon Cartel - really weak...darren smith trying too hard.

Disappointments -

Edguy - should be making stuff way better than this. Dodgy lyrics - what is he on about? Still waiting for something as awesome as Rocket Ride.

Magnum - just end and stop ruining your legacy

Seb Bach - loved that first single but the whole album was just too samey & rolled into one.

• 2 weeks later...

This year's biggest dissapointments:

Adelita's Way, "Stuck". I loved the first CD. The 2nd had a couple of good songs. I couldn't find a single track I liked on this one.

Red Wanting Blue, "Little America". Their last album was one of the best of 2011. This one just sounds like filler.

Winger, "Better Days Comin'". What happened to this band since "Pull"?

Tesla, "Simplicity". I never cared for Jeff Keith's voice, but I could handle it if the songs were good enough. These aren't.

Loverboy, "Unfinished Business". I knew these were going to be older unreleased tracks, but I didn't expect they'd be the actual demos. "Just Getting Started" is a great album. I wish they'd do more of that.

Rod Black, "Honesty". Sure, hit your fans up for cash so you can get your new CD released, then rip them off with a CD that sounds like shit because it was burned from mp3s and not the original master.

• 2 months later...

This year's biggest dissapointments:

Adelita's Way, "Stuck". I loved the first CD. The 2nd had a couple of good songs. I couldn't find a single track I liked on this one.

Winger, "Better Days Comin'". What happened to this band since "Pull"?

Tesla, "Simplicity". I never cared for Jeff Keith's voice, but I could handle it if the songs were good enough. These aren't.

Loverboy, "Unfinished Business". I knew these were going to be older unreleased tracks, but I didn't expect they'd be the actual demos. "Just Getting Started" is a great album. I wish they'd do more of that.

Oh my christ. Someone else is looking at the Winger disc realistically! Good man. I thought I was alone on this one, mate, but totally agree. From a once-brilliant band, even only a few years back with 'Karma' - this new one is just awful.

I agree with your others too. Adelitas Way was a massive shock. 3-4 good ballads, but there is so much weak shit on this CD. Really bad rockers. I was sooooo disappointed with this album.

Tesla - I hate to say it, I really do. I do actually like this CD. It's not like I hate it at all - a handful of good songs. But let's be honest. In terms of Tesla standards, it is a weak album and without question, the weakest in their discography. No one could dispute this, I don't think. And that's pretty sad. Good album, but I expect so much more from Tesla.

Loverboy - in their defence it is just demos and stuff. But I agree, it's a pretty average bunch of tracks after the brilliant last album.

I'll be honest, I've heard a lot of bad albums this year, but here's a few of the more prolific / unexpected ones:

Mike Tramp - Muesum ; I know I should stop expecting him not to be awful, but for some reason I thought this might not be absolutely dreadful. But it is. Absolutely terrible - nothing positive to say about at all.

Quiet Riot - '10' ; let's be honest, it's just garbage. Just like when Posion released 'Hollyweird,' I don't understand how a once-huge band gets to a point when they can release a CD with no production value at all. When garage bands are releasing well produced CDs. So for one I don't understand why the CD sounds so poor, and I also don't understand why the songs are so shit. Never been a massive fan of this band, but this is really bad.

Beautiful Beast - 'Barricades' ; Jez said it above. It's just a piece of shit. It just sounds so stupidly amatuer and poorly executed.

Mr Big - 'The stories we could tell' ; I've always said they only make half assed albums anyway. And they've been getting progressively worse and this is the peak of their awfulness. Only one decent song on a really, really bad album. By a long while their worst so far.

Sixx AM - 'Modern Vintage' ; Nicholas Sixx, what the fuck did you do this for? You could make a nice 4 song EP if you plucked the 4 best songs from this, but the rest is shockingly bad. Like I said elsewhere, it reminds me of when Butch went off the rails. Rubbish for a large part.

Black Stone Cherry - 'Magic Mountain' ; never was a fan of these guys but the last CD was good. This is the opposite of good. It's just plain badness.

Ron Keel - 'Metal cowboy' ; shouldn't really be surprised this is shit. I love Keel, but his voice was always awful, and not in the context of Keel, his work has just been tacky, D-grade sounding stuff. It's just poor music.

Fuel - 'Puppet strings' ; after the departure of their original vocalist, they actually put in a pretty good last CD. This, however, is not good at all. A lot more grungy and just bad.

Handguns - 'Life lessons' no one will know who these guys are, but this was a real disappointment for me. A few years ago these guys and I Call Fives released to great discs and I was excited about the bands' futures. This isn't awful but I expected a lot and this is just pure throwaway modern punk.

Many more slightly less disappointing, but they're the worst of the bunch.

Has this been the worst year in hard rock since.... Well.... Ever?

Definitely not. But I think it's been the weakest year since it's "resurgence" in the early to mid-2000's. But it still kills 1994 to early 2000's.

Personally speaking , a lot of my fave bands/Artists in the MR/Prog/Metal genres have all released quality discs this year, so absolutely not the worst year for releases

The worst?? Wow that's a statement.

Personally I think its been another pretty great year.

My current top 10 is looking very tasty indeed, but is about to ripped to shreds by Harem Scarem, Crazy Lixx, Ammunition and White Widdow, all of which are sounding awesome to these ears............I guess there's a chance they could end up occupying my top 4 spots - makes for a very interesting end of the year.

Lets not forget about the start of 2015 as well which will hopefully bring us new Eclipse, Soto and Wigelius.

My wallet is feeling under pressure..............

I think it's been a very solid year - about a thousand discs around that 70% mark, but the reason - for me - it doesn't compare with recent years is purely due to the lack of really stand out albums. Vega is probably the only one to do that so far (albeit Steel Panther, Michael Paynter, States Of Panic, Moonland etc do have very strong discs to offer) and of course White Widdow will knock it out of the park, and hopefully Crazy Lixx do too. Of those others you mention, Glen, as much as I worship Harem Scarem, I'm not sure they'll offer up something really amazing, and I don't think Ammunition will either. So at the end of the year, it's highly likely that there will only two truly brilliant discs - Vega and White Widdow. And although they'll rest nicely on my erection, if I compare that to recent years, it's well below what other years have offered up. That's my main point, that on the back of a batch of very strong years, I got the feeling for the first time that this was the first year on the way to a decline.

I truly don't believe in saying 'oh, but this will be released and be killer,' because honestly, 9/10 times this year, those releases have fallen short. White Widdow and Wigelius are givens, but I wouldn't trust anything else at all. Not even Eclipse. Even though I think it'll be great, I wouldn't bet much on it being a certainty.