Worst of 2014 thus far?

AlphaMale

I only go on people's opinions who I trust - and that would set up Harem and Ammunition as being pretty special. We'll see.

As for Crazy Lixx ive heard 90 sec samples of all the tracks which is pretty much like hearing the whole thing - as long as those solos blaze it will be top 4. White Widdow samples are awesome - that's a given top 4.

Of course tastes differ but for me HEAT is still an absolute winner. Work Of Art is pretty flawless, I love Seven - that one to me is like a long lost AOR classic (apart from the dreadful ballad), Brother Firetribe - love that disc, and Steel Panther have impressed once again.

So those alone (for me) make up most a truly special top 10 without even mentioning the albums being squeezed out of the top 10.

Compares favourably with past years imo.

I only go on people's opinions who I trust - and that would set up Harem and Ammunition as being pretty special. We'll see.

As for Crazy Lixx ive heard 90 sec samples of all the tracks which is pretty much like hearing the whole thing - as long as those solos blaze it will be top 4. White Widdow samples are awesome - that's a given top 4.

Of course tastes differ but for me HEAT is still an absolute winner. Work Of Art is pretty flawless, I love Seven - that one to me is like a long lost AOR classic (apart from the dreadful ballad), Brother Firetribe - love that disc, and Steel Panther have impressed once again.

So those alone (for me) make up most a truly special top 10 without even mentioning the albums being squeezed out of the top 10.

Compares favourably with past years imo.

missed Vega - that would be the 10th one - in no order to course ;-)

My disappointment of the year is Dynazty. I just don't like the direction they went in. I don't dislike heavier music, I just don't want to see the bands I like change like that espsecially after such a great album like Sultans Of Sin.

As much as I dislike Renatus, I think it's far from being the worst disc though, I still rated it around 77% and consider it a good melodic metal / power metal album.

My bottom 5 is :

THE LAST VEGAS Sweet Salvation

NEAL SCHON So U

LOUDNESS The Sun Will Rise Again

NASHVILLE PUSSY Up The Dosage

RED DRAGON CARTEL s/t

won't bother with KXM, Red something, Hurt something, or I'll just hurt my ear :D

• My Little Pony

Doesn't that fact that people are all hanging their hats on albums that aren't out yet (white widdow, crazy lixx) just show that it's hasn't been a great year.

It appears to have been common practice, in the previous years, for the big guns to release their albums during the Holiday season -- a practice that isn't exclusive to the music industry. However, if anyone has "hung their hat" on those releases, they've missed out on some great offerings this year.

Been a great yr imo. Certainly not 'hanging a hat' on any late release....I was only commenting that it could be a strong end yo the year. In fact Crazy Lixx might not even make my top 10.

White widdow will....pretty sure about that.

I agree with you Jarred, 96 - 98 is quite awful

In fact i think 2014 is the best year in the last 10 years, probably 2010 and 2011 came close but 2014 edge it slightly.

2012 is slightly better than 2013 and maybe on par with 2009, still a great year though. As far as I recall, from 2004-2008 not many great things were released but enough to keep us interested to listen to MHR/AOR again.

i'm actually struggling to fill a top 10 at the moment. Although my purchases have been majorly reduced this year.

Definite:

Pretty Wild
Bulletrain
Confess

Likely to make it but not heard in full:

Hell In The Club
Crazy Lixx

Possibles:
Rockstars From Mars
Hansel
Laced In Lust
Nasty Nuns
Damn Dice

Yet to hear (but on the radar):

Laneys Legion

White Widdow

HEAT

Brother Firetribe

Dynazty

White Trash Presidents

Valerie
Falling Red

The latest dynasty sure aint a classic but I found it a lot of fun and their best besides the debut. Sure I don't care for some of the choices in terms of singing style, instrumentation and a host of other things I expect from a hard rock/metal release but I get sucked into the bands confidence and playfulness. It's infective and as a whole I really like this disk, sounds like they had fun writing and making it.

The latest dynasty sure aint a classic but I found it a lot of fun and their best besides the debut. Sure I don't care for some of the choices in terms of singing style, instrumentation and a host of other things I expect from a hard rock/metal release but I get sucked into the bands confidence and playfulness. It's infective and as a whole I really like this disk, sounds like they had fun writing and making it.

I hope they did, because I sure didn't have fun hearing it. ;)

I hope they did, because I sure didn't have fun hearing it. ;)

I agree its a long way off Knock You Down and Sultans, but man is it good to work out to..........try keeping pace on a static bike for 40 mins................hard.

Yeah, it's well played; it's heavy - some cool riffs. But it's just soooooo freakin' boring.

I'm glad I'm not he only one!

I still think Edguy is my main disappointment.

After hearing 'Love Tyger' I really thought we would get an album to rival Rocketride but that turned out to be the best track by some way :-(

Most of the rest is meaningless garbage :-(

• My Little Pony

I still think Edguy is my main disappointment.

After hearing 'Love Tyger' I really thought we would get an album to rival Rocketride but that turned out to be the best track by some way :-(

Most of the rest is meaningless garbage :-(

Ha. Whereas, it's not even close to my favourite on the album.

Regarding EDGUY, I was disappointed with 'Tinnitus' although it's not garbage, but quite okay with 'Joker' and frankly I'm happy with the direction of 'Space Police'. I always like if EDGUY implemented a good combo of hard rock, power metal, and in between. Consensus all over the net seem to agree in the 75-85 range and several said it's a return-to-form, I see a room for improvement but definitely a great album worth around 80-82% and don't belong in this 'worst thread' :)

Yeah, I can't say that Edguy was a surprise because I just basically expect mediocrity from them these days. Like always, a couple of good tunes but at least as many clunkers, if not more. It's basically just how they operate and I wouldn't expect anything else.

I loved 'Rocket ride' at the time but I'd be interested to listen back to it now and see if it was quite as good as memory serves. I'm sure I still like it plenty, but I'd love to revisit it and will asap!

Regarding EDGUY, I was disappointed with 'Tinnitus' although it's not garbage, but quite okay with 'Joker' and frankly I'm happy with the direction of 'Space Police'. I always like if EDGUY implemented a good combo of hard rock, power metal, and in between. Consensus all over the net seem to agree in the 75-85 range and several said it's a return-to-form, I see a room for improvement but definitely a great album worth around 80-82% and don't belong in this 'worst thread' :)

Sorry mate, dont agree on this one.........half the songs are about meaningless garbage. I mean, what the hell is he on about.

There were a few moments of cool riffage / music, but not enough to save a very weak album....I think I rated it about 55%.

As for Rocketride, it was and still is a great album.

No problem, we'll agree to disagree. Most hard rock fans will dig Rocket and Hellfire because that's the direction they're taking, but I love myself some power metal and EDGUY is traditionally a power metal band so a good combo of that is great for me.