Greatest Hits discs

AlphaMale

This is another thing that absolutely enrages me. Why do record companies put out a greatest hits release for a band, and some of the bands greatest hits are "live"? If I want a band's greatest hits on a CD, I want all the hits as I heard them..... the studio version.

I'm not against adding "extra" tracks of some of whatever bands greatest hits "live"..... as long as the original studio versions are there.

Any thoughts on this?

• My Little Pony

First of all, I stay away from Greatest Hits. Usually my favourite tracks from an artist are not their hits. But, yeah, I know what you mean. I don't always understand the thought process behind it. Sometimes artists have fan-favourites that are a little different live; perhaps they want to capture the atmosphere. Some artists biggest hits are live--Peter Frampton comes to mind. But apart from that, they should always be the album or radio versions.

• Like 1

Lazy cash grabs. I have them but it's usually an artist I'm marginally interested in whose back catalogue doesn't pack enough decent tunes for me to buy the original release. Or it's an artist I really dig and they have at least one new track, some soundtrack inclusions or a few rare songs or demos previously unreleased on it.

Totally agree about live versions of hit songs or updated reimagined versions such as Shout at The Devil '97. Piss off!

• 2023 Gold Donors

I concur ! The first one to piss me off was 38 Special-Flashback.Nowhere on the back on the jewel case does it say any of the songs are live-it just lists the titles.Oh,but when you get home and open it,surprise! A few of the songs are recorded live !~ Those MF's !

• Like 1

Glad I'm not the only one that hates this.

The newest to piss me off:

Rainbow - Since You Been Gone The Best Of Rainbow

01 - Since You Been Gone
02 - All Night Long (Live at Donington)
03 - Stargazer
04 - Kill The King
05 - Man On The Silver Mountain
06 - Gates Of Babylon
07 - Lost In Hollywood
08 - Spotlight Kid
09 - Can't Happen Here
10 - I Surrender
11 - Street Of Dreams
12 - Black Sheep Of The Family
13 - Stone Cold
14 - Eyes Of The World
15 - Long Live Rock 'N' Roll

One fucking live song to ruin a killer compilation. Why????

• 2023 Gold Donors

That does suck.As I mentioned in another thread-Foghat's greatest hits using the radio(shortened) version of Slow Ride ! How stupid is that/ Plus it doesn't say it on the back of the CD case.You have to open the CD to find out you were screwed !

• Like 1

listening to the same tracks over and over gets old no matter what the band. if they have 6 albums then its better to space them out for variety.

i deleted ratt 8191 from my car's hard drive finally.. there's only so much you can take

• My Little Pony

listening to the same tracks over and over gets old no matter what the band. if they have 6 albums then its better to space them out for variety.

i deleted ratt 8191 from my car's hard drive finally.. there's only so much you can take

Amen, brother!

Glad I'm not the only one that hates this.

The newest to piss me off:

Rainbow - Since You Been Gone The Best Of Rainbow

01 - Since You Been Gone

02 - All Night Long (Live at Donington)

03 - Stargazer

04 - Kill The King

05 - Man On The Silver Mountain

06 - Gates Of Babylon

07 - Lost In Hollywood

08 - Spotlight Kid

09 - Can't Happen Here

10 - I Surrender

11 - Street Of Dreams

12 - Black Sheep Of The Family

13 - Stone Cold

14 - Eyes Of The World

15 - Long Live Rock 'N' Roll

One fucking live song to ruin a killer compilation. Why????

I don't mind, especially from Rainbow, live versions of their tracks. Always something new to offer (good or bad). Btw, no rainbow compilation can be good enough, without fire dance :wub: . I wouldn't mind, also, if B.O.O.S. was a rainbow's best off :whistle: .

I concur ! The first one to piss me off was 38 Special-Flashback.Nowhere on the back on the jewel case does it say any of the songs are live-it just lists the titles.Oh,but when you get home and open it,surprise! A few of the songs are recorded live !~ Those MF's !

I picked this c.d. up just for Teacher, Teacher anyway, but I agree with you all..

• Like 1

Speaking of Skittles commercials.... notice how they removed "french the rainbow" from that one commercial with the kid that never smiles.... the girl tickles his neck and he smiles with Skittles as teeth. She kisses him and then eats the Skittles from out of his mouth.

It used to say "French the rainbow... taste the rainbow". Now it's says "Kiss the rainbow... taste the rainbow".

Let me guess.... some "politically correct" MFer had a problem with that commercial. LOL

Speaking of Skittles commercials.... notice how they removed "french the rainbow" from that one commercial with the kid that never smiles.... the girl tickles his neck and he smiles with Skittles as teeth. She kisses him and then eats the Skittles from out of his mouth.

It used to say "French the rainbow... taste the rainbow". Now it's says "Kiss the rainbow... taste the rainbow".

Let me guess.... some "politically correct" MFer had a problem with that commercial. LOL

Have you seen the 'banned' Skittles commercial featuring the bride and groom in a motel bedroom?

• 6 years later...

Newest greatest hits to piss me off with random live versions is Lizzy Borden

Volume 1

01 – Me Against the World
02 – American Metal
03 – Notorious
04 – Master of Disguise
05 – Psychopath
06 – Eyes of a Stranger
07 – Red Rum (Live) ----------------------->
08 – Ultra Violence
09 – Live and Let Die (Live) ----------------->
10 – Give Em the Axe
11 – Love Kills
12 – Love Is A Crime
13 – Lord of the Flies
14 – Rod of Iron

21 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Newest greatest hits to piss me off with random live versions is Lizzy Borden

Volume 1

01 – Me Against the World
02 – American Metal
03 – Notorious
04 – Master of Disguise
05 – Psychopath
06 – Eyes of a Stranger
07 – Red Rum (Live) ----------------------->
08 – Ultra Violence
09 – Live and Let Die (Live) ----------------->
10 – Give Em the Axe
11 – Love Kills
12 – Love Is A Crime
13 – Lord of the Flies
14 – Rod of Iron

Live & Let Die was on only Murderess Metal Roadshow, not on any of their studio albums

3 hours ago, Doggy said:

Live & Let Die was on only Murderess Metal Roadshow, not on any of their studio albums

I get that but it's not even their song! 

I got both GH from them. Volume 2 has no live songs to ruin it. 

• 1 year later...

New one to piss me off, Kissin' Dynamite Best Of

Disc 1

1.  I've Got The Fire  

2.  I Will Be King  

3.  DNA  

4.  You Are Not Alone  

5.  Fireflies  

6.  Generation Goodbye  

7.  Love Me Hate Me Live  

8.  If Clocks Were Running Backwards  

9.  Ecstasy  

10.  Money, Sex & Power  

11.  Six Feet Under  

Disc 2

12.  Against The World Live  

13.  Running Free  

14.  Hashtag Your Life  

15.  Supersonic Killer Live  

16.  Steel Of Swabia Live  

17.  Heart Of Stone  

18.  All Are Equal  

19.  Going All In  

20.  In The Eye Of The Shitstorm  

21.  Living In The Fastlane Radio Edit  

Peaches & Herbs soothing sound of soul

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Doug said:

Really, Kissin' Dynamite has "Best Of?" That is ridiculous! 

I just bought it as I have only recently gotten into the band and can't afford to get their entire back catalogue. Bought their latest 2022 release too.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2014 at 3:29 PM, AlphaMale said:

You didn't know Skittles were woke? They now have removed the rainbow colours from their packaging to support LBTQI etc. in pride month. Can't have candy without a social justice message.