Greatest Hits discs

AlphaMale

23 hours ago, Doug said:

Really, Kissin' Dynamite has "Best Of?" That is ridiculous! 

Why can't a band have a Best Of after 7 albums?
Tuff have had like 5 Best Of albums, and they only had 2 albums.

• Haha 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
28 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Why can't a band have a Best Of after 7 albums?
Tuff have had like 5 Best Of albums, and they only had 2 albums.

The funny thing is that despite having at least three compilations, I don't think any of them have any songs from their first two albums!  They mostly just contain archival demos and stuff like that, so in that sense they don't really have a Best Of at all

1 hour ago, SunsetHoliday said:

The funny thing is that despite having at least three compilations, I don't think any of them have any songs from their first two albums!  They mostly just contain archival demos and stuff like that, so in that sense they don't really have a Best Of at all

Best Of albums rarely have my favorite songs on them.
Same with live sets
Saw Tesla and it was an average setlist. None of my faces played.
Cheap Trick did better, but didn't play The Flame for some dumb reason.
Contrast was Billy Idol who played a phenominal set, highly recommend seeing him if you get thge chance. Has Steve Stevens with him as well.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:31 AM, AlphaMale said:

New one to piss me off, Kissin' Dynamite Best Of

Disc 1

1.  I've Got The Fire  

2.  I Will Be King  

3.  DNA  

4.  You Are Not Alone  

5.  Fireflies  

6.  Generation Goodbye  

7.  Love Me Hate Me Live  

8.  If Clocks Were Running Backwards  

9.  Ecstasy  

10.  Money, Sex & Power  

11.  Six Feet Under  

Disc 2

12.  Against The World Live  

13.  Running Free  

14.  Hashtag Your Life  

15.  Supersonic Killer Live  

16.  Steel Of Swabia Live  

17.  Heart Of Stone  

18.  All Are Equal  

19.  Going All In  

20.  In The Eye Of The Shitstorm  

21.  Living In The Fastlane Radio Edit  

Just so you know  I have the double cd now. The live tracks are two each from their first and second albums "Steel of Swabia" and "Addicted to Metal". Both albums were on EMI and I would think that it would have been an issue for AFM records to get the rights. They took the four live tracks from the 2017 Dynamite Nights album. There is a "used by permission" notice under every track they took from Ecstasy that was on Metal Blade. So, I hope that clears up why live tracks were featured on the release.

In total the best of covers 6 studio albums of material (two of those albums featured as live versions from their one live album). 

Also the four last tracks include three Japan-only bonus tracks from 3 different albums and a previously unreleased studio track from 2016.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 11:24 PM, auslander said:

Just so you know  I have the double cd now. The live tracks are two each from their first and second albums "Steel of Swabia" and "Addicted to Metal". Both albums were on EMI and I would think that it would have been an issue for AFM records to get the rights. They took the four live tracks from the 2017 Dynamite Nights album. There is a "used by permission" notice under every track they took from Ecstasy that was on Metal Blade. So, I hope that clears up why live tracks were featured on the release.

In total the best of covers 6 studio albums of material (two of those albums featured as live versions from their one live album). 

Also the four last tracks include three Japan-only bonus tracks from 3 different albums and a previously unreleased studio track from 2016.

I guessed EMI wanted a ton of cash.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand EMI's thinking here if they priced the rights to those two songs too high for an agreement by AFM. Looks like Metal Blade didn't ask a fortune.

If you are EMI and you allow 2 songs each on this greatest hits, you get paid. Now some KD fans might go buy those first two CDs on EMI for their collections. More money. What's the downside there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glen said:

who buys cds anymore lol.

just make your own best of on Spotify (or yr streaming service of choice) 

This.  

They made sense at one time and were a good way to maybe discover a band or just buy their highlights.  But they don't make much sense anymore as it's easy enough to just make your own greatest hits playlist.  Heck, most of the time the "greatest hits" are often missing songs I really dig anyways.

9 hours ago, tts42572 said:

This.  

They made sense at one time and were a good way to maybe discover a band or just buy their highlights.  But they don't make much sense anymore as it's easy enough to just make your own greatest hits playlist.  Heck, most of the time the "greatest hits" are often missing songs I really dig anyways.

Most of the mainstream rock bands top 40 hits make me want to smash the radio or player into the wall, pretty much none of them are their hits, for instance, if Ive gotta listen to Poison, I want to hear Fire & Ice or Cry Tough, Bon Jovi's discography the only album I like is 7800, and the song Edge Of A Broken Heart, all neglected off any greatest hits outside of In and Out of Love, fuck greatest hits, btw I still buy CDs if i'm able, like my big thing is trying to get the truly truly obscure stuff out onto the internet, who knows when there will come a time when it's lost, case in point that XOX bands albums,

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Leykis101 said:

Most of the mainstream rock bands top 40 hits make me want to smash the radio or player into the wall, pretty much none of them are their hits, for instance, if Ive gotta listen to Poison, I want to hear Fire & Ice or Cry Tough, Bon Jovi's discography the only album I like is 7800, and the song Edge Of A Broken Heart, all neglected off any greatest hits outside of In and Out of Love, fuck greatest hits, btw I still buy CDs if i'm able, like my big thing is trying to get the truly truly obscure stuff out onto the internet, who knows when there will come a time when it's lost, case in point that XOX bands albums,

greatest hits usually implies singles which aren't always a bands best songs.

• Like 1

Greatest Hits albums serve two purposes, they present a nice summary for a band that may have had a later-album breakthrough, so introducing fans to their back catalogue; and, more frequently the humble best of is a recognition of a long career for an artist, gathering together highlights into a single or double album.

I don't know why people have issues with them. Sometimes it is just the right mood to hear hits rather than albums. 

My favourite hits albums are the ones that are based on, or include, rare tracks (maybe single-only or from soundtracks), plus b-sides and radio remixes. I love those collections.

As for streaming instead: fuck streaming! Long live physical media.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Back in the day Greatest Hits albums were a staple of my collection, but more for mainstream artists. 

Yep. The Police "Greatest Hits" is all I need from that band. Plenty of others also fit in that category.

• Like 1