The Interesting Thread!

Glen

• My Little Pony

I think I'm about ready to start another batch. I need something rich to get me through winter. Or, at least, to winter. ;)

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm about ready to start another batch. I need something rich to get me through winter. Or, at least, to winter. ;)

Happy with the first lot or..........

Yeah, how'd the first batch go? Dood, for best results, I'd recommend leaving them for a minimum of 6 weeks, ideally 8. I know it's hard with your first batch/es, but I now have 90 bottle (640ml) which means I can always have 3 batches on the go. I'm drinking beer that has been resting for over 2 months and I have 60 awaiting me that are all over 8 weeks old, or almost there. It's a paradise. :)

Current batch is excellent too, if I do say so myself. Really nice Pale Ale, benefitting from extra wheats and hops I included.

But yeah, that'd be my tip, to get enough bottles that you always have at least 2, preferably 3, batches on the go... just so they have that time to age perfectly. It does make a HUGE difference.

• My Little Pony

Yeah, how'd the first batch go? Dood, for best results, I'd recommend leaving them for a minimum of 6 weeks, ideally 8. I know it's hard with your first batch/es, but I now have 90 bottle (640ml) which means I can always have 3 batches on the go. I'm drinking beer that has been resting for over 2 months and I have 60 awaiting me that are all over 8 weeks old, or almost there. It's a paradise. :)

Current batch is excellent too, if I do say so myself. Really nice Pale Ale, benefitting from extra wheats and hops I included.

But yeah, that'd be my tip, to get enough bottles that you always have at least 2, preferably 3, batches on the go... just so they have that time to age perfectly. It does make a HUGE difference.

First batch is decent, boys. I've definitely noticed a difference between two and three weeks. I'm not ecstatic about this batch, because I like my IPAs very hoppy, and this one isn't quite there. It will improve with time, no doubt, but I also think I should have used two cans instead of just the one. Have you heard of that, Geoff? Using two cans? My local shop owner said that's what he used to do, when he brewed Coopers. He used two cans, and left out the dextrose/brew enhancer. He now uses Brewhouse, which he claims is the equivalent of two Coopers can.

Anyway, the reason I'm on to my next batch already, Ian, is because I'd like to have an assortment of beers on hand at any given time. My brother started with a Pale Ale, is currently fermenting a Dunkel, and wants to start an English Bitter soon. I'm interested in the Sparkling Ale from Coopers, but I'd probably have to order it from Australia, and that'd be bloody expensive shipping. I'd also like to try the Real Ale and the English Bitter, but those are stocked at my local grocer.

What do you have going, Geoff? Are you strictly a Coopers guy, or have you tried others? Would it be worth starting a new thread dedicated to brewing?

First batch is decent, boys. I've definitely noticed a difference between two and three weeks. I'm not ecstatic about this batch, because I like my IPAs very hoppy, and this one isn't quite there. It will improve with time, no doubt, but I also think I should have used two cans instead of just the one. Have you heard of that, Geoff? Using two cans? My local shop owner said that's what he used to do, when he brewed Coopers. He used two cans, and left out the dextrose/brew enhancer. He now uses Brewhouse, which he claims is the equivalent of two Coopers can.

Anyway, the reason I'm on to my next batch already, Ian, is because I'd like to have an assortment of beers on hand at any given time. My brother started with a Pale Ale, is currently fermenting a Dunkel, and wants to start an English Bitter soon. I'm interested in the Sparkling Ale from Coopers, but I'd probably have to order it from Australia, and that'd be bloody expensive shipping. I'd also like to try the Real Ale and the English Bitter, but those are stocked at my local grocer.

What do you have going, Geoff? Are you strictly a Coopers guy, or have you tried others? Would it be worth starting a new thread dedicated to brewing?

Nice one.......

Nah mate, not heard of the 2 cans instead of a can and sugar. Interesting concept. I'd be very interested in the results as the sugar no doubt brings a very different element to the brew than another syrup. Let me know how it goes if you try it. Not sure I'd be prepared to take the risk myself. ;)

As for what I have going - always Pale Ales for me. I drink any type of beer, but I always want to buy Pale Ale and the prospect of brewing my own Pale Ale, so that I don't have to buy what is without fail the most expensive type of beer, often out of my price range... it excites me. :)

In saying I only brew Pale Ale, I can honestly say that no two brews have tasted too alike yet. I'm using Coopers Pale Ale cans for the most part, because they're the cheapest, but I'm hoping that the varying wheats and hops I've been using make all the difference. The current batch I drink was actually Wal's Pale Ale... which is really awesome. I'd use it all the time but it's quite a lot more than Coopers. I'm hoping that with all the other ingredients I can get the absolute best out of Coopers so I don't even recognise it as Coopers.

A beer brewing thread would be awesome. :) I wonder if anyone else here brews?

hey Geoff, you just got back from vacation, so where did you go this time ? and some good snapshots of the scenery maybe ?

Photo time.........

Haha. Bad question... to ask me if there were photos to be had. ;) I must admit, Lord Howe Island is a truly stunning place and I like some of the photos I got, but by my own admission I didn't get any real crackers. That said, because the place was so beautiful, even okay shots of it still turned out pretty beautiful. I just posted a few here for you to view:

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=15785&st=340&gopid=654253entry654253

hey Geoff, you just got back from vacation, so where did you go this time ? and some good snapshots of the scenery maybe ?

Photo time.........

Haha. Bad question... to ask me if there were photos to be had. ;) I must admit, Lord Howe Island is a truly stunning place and I like some of the photos I got, but by my own admission I didn't get any real crackers. That said, because the place was so beautiful, even okay shots of it still turned out pretty beautiful. I just posted a few here for you to view:

http://heavyharmonie...53

I just had to google this place as never heard of it.........indeed it does look stunning. When I finally (probably aged 60 or something lol) get to Oz, this will be on my list of visits.......

Photo time.........

I just had to google this place as never heard of it.........indeed it does look stunning. When I finally (probably aged 60 or something lol) get to Oz, this will be on my list of visits.......

I would totally recommend it. It's not cheap at all, even with the cheapest accommodation we could find on the island. But it's worth it. Pristine, would be a word to describe it. I would definitely recommend Tasmania and Lord Howe Island... both of them around summer. I have to admit I wore a spring suit a few times out in the water at Lord Howe. As the island is parallel to a town only 4 hours north of Sydney, sadly the water is pretty much the same water temp as here, which is still a few weeks away from no wetsuit at all territory.

Oh how I miss it so...

Photo time.........

I would totally recommend it. It's not cheap at all, even with the cheapest accommodation we could find on the island. But it's worth it. Pristine, would be a word to describe it. I would definitely recommend Tasmania and Lord Howe Island... both of them around summer. I have to admit I wore a spring suit a few times out in the water at Lord Howe. As the island is parallel to a town only 4 hours north of Sydney, sadly the water is pretty much the same water temp as here, which is still a few weeks away from no wetsuit at all territory.

Oh how I miss it so...

ha ha that water would probably be boiling to us Brits lol !!

Photo time.........

Oh how I miss it so...

Indeed, it probably would. I'm pretty good with cold water, but about half an hour snorkelling in the water in just my board shorts, which I did many times, and my testicles were in real trouble. Apparently the water was around 18.5'C.

In terms of water temps, 16'C feels close to arctic to me and 21'C+ is perfect, so it was somewhere inbetween. Like I said, you could definitely swim without a wetsuit - especially on the sunny days with no wind... but for long swims I was much preferring the cover of wetsuit... as much as I hate them.

Photo time.........

Oh how I miss it so...

Indeed, it probably would. I'm pretty good with cold water, but about half an hour snorkelling in the water in just my board shorts, which I did many times, and my testicles were in real trouble. Apparently the water was around 18.5'C.

In terms of water temps, 16'C feels close to arctic to me and 21'C+ is perfect, so it was somewhere inbetween. Like I said, you could definitely swim without a wetsuit - especially on the sunny days with no wind... but for long swims I was much preferring the cover of wetsuit... as much as I hate them.

by the age of 60, i'll probably need two ;-)

Beautiful place man. BTW, anybody ever been to Turkey before ? what's it like ?

I have it on my list, probably planning for a 10 days trip next March if possible. I like to see Capadoccia, Istanbul, Pamukkale, and Ephesus

I have it on my list, probably planning for a 10 days trip next March if possible. I like to see Capadoccia, Istanbul, Pamukkale, and Ephesus

Yes Ive been to Turkey 3 times - Altinkum, Kusadasi and Bodrum. Ephesus and Pamukkale are an absolute must....but I dont think youre allowed on Pamukkale anymore? Think it might just be viewing only - still stunning though.

• My Little Pony

Yes Ive been to Turkey 3 times - Altinkum, Kusadasi and Bodrum. Ephesus and Pamukkale are an absolute must....but I dont think youre allowed on Pamukkale anymore? Think it might just be viewing only - still stunning though.

Out was backpacking across Europe back in 2007, and there was too much conflict goings on in Turkey, so we decided to stay away. Dammit, I need to go travelling, again.

Out was backpacking across Europe back in 2007, and there was too much conflict goings on in Turkey, so we decided to stay away. Dammit, I need to go travelling, again.

Yeah I was there mid to late 90s

Turkey is great, been 3 times to Olu Deniz and once to Side. Will defo go back some time. Crete for me next year.

I too would like to venture to Europe - anyone want to spot me a few tens of thousands of dollars? :(

I saw an interesting ad at the local tour weeks ago, 10 days Turkey probably will cost you around $3.5k all in for two people (low season), but not sure how expensive it is from Aussie, so I guess it's pretty good bargain, considering they're putting you at 4-stars hotel and includes all transportation (bus,flight,etc) and you get to visit at least 5-6 places from Ankara to Istanbul.

But I'm sure you need to pay for the extra hot balloon ride at Capadoccia. From this video, looks interesting :

Glen, I guess Pamukkale is still a tourism spot, everybody's goin for the Cotton Castle. That also in the tour list, along with Kusadasi and Ephesus, and also you get to board the Bosphorus cruise.

Jez, are there anything interesting at Oludeniz ? Coz it looks like an obscure spot for tourist, or maybe do you have relative or friend over there ? Looks like a small place and a good coast though