Picking out names for your children

Kristian

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looking for a little bit of help here.

My wife and I are expecting the arrival of our second son this spring.

So the last couple of weeks we've been talking about what we should name the baby.

We've narrowed it down to these nine names, but can't decide/agree on which one is the best.

Our first born is named Marlon.

So please place your vote, should be exciting to see if there's a clear winner here.

What's your surname ? His first name needs to suit it ......

So the last couple of weeks we've been talking about what we should name the baby.

We've narrowed it down to these nine names, but can't decide/agree on which one is the best.

So please place your vote, should be exciting to see if there's a clear winner here.

My 2 boy are Logan-6 & Hunter-4. The wife and I did not want names that have been used to death( John, Mike etc)so some names on your list I didn't even give a second thought to,(Henry, Jamie etc).

I went with Maddox because it goes well with Marlon and when you yell at both the names will roll off your tongue quickly and effortlessly. :lol:

Since we aren't having any more kids feel free to use any of my suggestions that my wife always passed on:

Teemu

Teppo

Zutroy

Tibor

Tunch

Felix

:party421:

I went with Maddox because it goes well with Marlon and when you yell at both the names will roll off your tongue quickly and effortlessly. :lol:

Since we aren't having any more kids feel free to use any of my suggestions that my wife always passed on:

Teemu

Teppo

Zutroy

Tibor

Tunch

Felix

:party421:

First off... How could your wife not like the name Felix? You better not waste that name, use it on a dog or cat in the future. :bananamac:

ON TOPIC - I think Maddox is a really cool name... I agree that I didn't even consider voting for the more common names. All that said, keep in mind that I named my son Christopher (Chris). Had I thought of Maddox that may have been different.

What's your surname ? His first name needs to suit it ......

My full name is Kristian Døj Hjøllund

Yeah, Maddox sounds cool !

My 2 boy are Logan-6 & Hunter-4. The wife and I did not want names that have been used to death( John, Mike etc)so some names on your list I didn't even give a second thought to,(Henry, Jamie etc).

Logan and Hunter are great names, we've actually considered Logan, but think the pronunciation in Dansih will mess it up.

Keep in mind that names like Henry, Jamie, and Charlie are not that common here.

I don't like Maddox. Went with Silas.

My wife and I like the traditional names; we're not keen on the modern names that seem like they're trying too hard to be different. Jamie Oliver's kids for example. All just personal choice though.

we're not keen on the modern names that seem like they're trying too hard to be different.

I kind of agree with that, mate. Being unique is kind of cool, but I also don't think that giving your kid some ridiculous name that he is stuck with for the rest of his life is cool. :lol: It's a fine line, I guess.

I can't vote on this at all to be honest, because in the end it's up to you and your wife to make the choice and should be up to you two alone. Good luck with it, and congrats and best wishes! ;)

we're not keen on the modern names that seem like they're trying too hard to be different.

I kind of agree with that, mate. Being unique is kind of cool, but I also don't think that giving your kid some ridiculous name that he is stuck with for the rest of his life is cool. :lol: It's a fine line, I guess.

I can't vote on this at all to be honest, because in the end it's up to you and your wife to make the choice and should be up to you two alone. Good luck with it, and congrats and best wishes! ;)

We're looking for an unique name, that's not too wierd, nearly all the names I've listed meet those demands.

I checked out the names of Jamie Oliver's kids, wtf :wacko:

Thanks Geoff. I started this topic to see what names were the most popular, among a wide selection of people. Naturally we can't ask friends and families, 'cause it would ruin the surprise.

Anyway, still hoping more people will drop by and place their vote.

I was torn between Maddox and Silas, but went Maddox. It reminded me of Magnus, which I always liked (courtesy of the worlds strongest man Magnus Der Magnuson). I also enjoyed the heritage/lineage ideals placed on those Scandi names, my surname comming from son of Martin or Martinson (Swedish).

My wife and I went on to chose more old world/classic names (at least to us), my son's name is Evan and daughter is named Sophie, but there was a fairly in depth discussion, which led to a short list not unlike yours, which led to the top 2 or 3 and then when we met the kids for the first time the name (s) kind of chose itself/theirselves.

Best of luck and many congrats on the new addition to your clan.

Logan and Hunter are great names, we've actually considered Logan, but think the pronunciation in Dansih will mess it up.

Keep in mind that names like Henry, Jamie, and Charlie are not that common here.

I didn't know where you are from, names like those you mentioned, plus names like Michael, John, james, Joseph were all used to death here in the States so we didn't want anything like that. That being said, I don't like really weird names at all.

• 5 months later...

My wife gave birth to our second son yesterday, on a beautiful and sunny day, life is great :tumbsup:

We're naming him Charlie.

Congrats mate, nice one! Glad all is well. :drink:

My wife gave birth to our second son yesterday, on a beautiful and sunny day, life is great :tumbsup:

Congrats mate, nice one! Glad all is well. :drink:

Excellent news!!!

Everyone is perfect I assume...

Best to you and yours.

Congrats! My dad's name is Charlie. :)

Here's a random question I was thinking about the other day.

If you had a child's name in your mind since the dawn of time, were married and you then had a kid... but in the meantime you'd met someone with the same name you always had in your mind and got pretty close to them... would it then be weird to still use that same name for your kid?

Even if you'd had it in your mind forever would it look like you were a creep naming your kid after this new person you knew?

If you had a child's name in your mind since the dawn of time, were married and you then had a kid... but in the meantime you'd met someone with the same name you always had in your mind and got pretty close to them... would it then be weird to still use that same name for your kid?

Even if you'd had it in your mind forever would it look like you were a creep naming your kid after this new person you knew?

Here's the deal - when we were naming our kids all names associated with family, friends & work colleagues were out - just the way we did it.

I mean it's a bit weird if someone in your office names their daughter say 'Grace' and then you have a daughter and they say - well, what did you name her - oh, Grace.....just weird.

We ended up with Lily, Thomas & Samuel - fairly traditional, but that's what we liked & it seems perfect now :-))

Here's the deal - when we were naming our kids all names associated with family, friends & work colleagues were out - just the way we did it.

I mean it's a bit weird if someone in your office names their daughter say 'Grace' and then you have a daughter and they say - well, what did you name her - oh, Grace.....just weird.

We ended up with Lily, Thomas & Samuel - fairly traditional, but that's what we liked & it seems perfect now :-))

Yeah mate, that's what I thought too. It's unfortunate to a degree, I guess, but I kinda feel the same.

Congratulations! I chose Jamie in the poll, but Charlie will do just fine!!! The best of luck to you and the family!!

I've always felt that people should give their children a fighting chance. Look at the hollywood people and celebrities who pick names for their kids that no person in their "riight mind" would ever name their child. Trendy names are dumb... What sounds "cool" to you now usually ends up haunting a child later in life.

Common names do get old after a while unless there's some sort of family member that the parents to be are honoring. The "popular" names of the time get old too, because many people try too hard to be popular. I graduated with more Jennifers, Sarahs, Heathers, Johns, Toms and Christophers than I knew what to do with because they were the top names from the mid 70's.

I graduated in 1992. Of course there were several girls from my school that ended up pregnant. At that time, Michael Jordan and Dion Sanders were big sports stars, so most picked out names that were some sort of combination of those names.

Find something that's a little off the beaten path, but not too far, because that kid is going to have to live with it.