the band KISS on the backcover of NIRVANA's -Nevermind!?!?

zacharyamelie

nirvana actually did a kiss cover at one time for one of those 'tribute' type albums. can't for the life of me recall what it was but i just recall looking at the line-up of artists on the album and was amazed to see nirvana on there.

They did a cover of 'Do You Love Me' but that was horrible. :D

nirvana actually did a kiss cover at one time for one of those 'tribute' type albums. can't for the life of me recall what it was but i just recall looking at the line-up of artists on the album and was amazed to see nirvana on there.

They did a cover of 'Do You Love Me' but that was horrible. :D

The album is called "Hard To Believe A Kiss Covers Compilation". It was released on a Seattle label CZ Records. Featured Bullet LaVolta, Smelly Tongues, Skin Yard, Treepeople, ALL, Hullabaloo, Melvins, Coffin Break, Chemical People, King Snake Roost, Niravana and The Hard Ons.

There is a quote on the inner sleeve that says "Love ya Gene, please don't sue us."

And I still don't get the absolute hatred. Sure each and every band is subject to criticism and sure Nirvana PJ, AIC, Soundgarden, et al are given the title of killers of the 80's music and fore fathers of "grunge", which btw is a name created/generated by marketing excec's to sell more product (s) not the musicians, but its just music. Some of it REALLY good and much of it pretty poor, but I can say the same for any genre and we do here regularly when we discover some off the beaten path AOR band and scream to ether how horrible they are. Point being, growing up in and around Seattle and seeing these and many other bands come and go, they are just rock bands, many have heavy punk rock influences, many have huge glam influences. The ones that blew up just got sucked into the machine and spit out to the masses in pre-packaged little consumables for the masses to choke on. Marketing excec's were having to look elsewhere for ways to make $$$$$$$, the "excess is best" era of the 80's was dying fast and what better way to shun that image than to go polar opposite and jump on the anti-image of the early 90's and of course the mindless masses took to it like a duck to water.

Just saying.

Pearl Jam are celebrating 20 years (since they formed) and deserve a lot more respect that Nirvana IMO, especially as the PJ20 film is awesome and they made some great music. Soundgarden too. Nirvana, apart from a few tunes, were shite.

I always stated then and still do now that Pearl Jam were (and more importantly, still are) a whole different ball game to most of the other bands coming out then and didn't deserve to be labelled under the same umbrella as most of them. Just listen to 'Ten' and the fabulous songs on there. Call them/ label them what you want, but it is basically a monster Hard Rock record from start to finish, nothing more, nothing less and a million miles away from anything Nirvana ever released.

I dunno, I always preferred Nirvana and/or Soundgarden to Pearl Jam. Nirvana and Soundgarden both had that buzzsaw "metal" guitar bite that appealed to me whilst P.J. always sounded more "mainstream rock" to me. I agree that P.J. didn't really belong lumped into the "grunge" category though, the only reason they got that tag is cuz of the time period in which they debuted and their hometown.

Oh, and Eddie Vedder has one of those faces I would never get tired of punching. Just sayin'.

Oh, it's time to spin this album again! :tumbsup:

Btw it's hard to believe that Kurt's little daughter looks like this nowadays... time is passing so fast.

Please meet Frances Bean Cobain:

Frances-Bean-Cobain-by-Hedi-Slimane.jpg

:yikes: That came out of Courtney Love? Damn. :lol:

:rofl:

I hate 'Nevermind' and think it's the most overrated album anything ever produced. Not because of what it did to rock music (that was the fault of the record buying public) but just because I don't like the songs. The Kiss thing is very cool though!

Nirvana as I said before had a few really good songs, but overall were a complete dirge.

Pearl Jam just depressed the hell out of me due to Vedder and his annoying nasal voice.

Soundgarden, like Nirvana had some really good songs, but also had some really depressing songs.

If I had to put them in order of who I think was the best, Soundgarden would probably be the best, with Nirvana second and Pearl Jam a very distant third because I couldnt stand a single thing they did, and also blame them for Creed (although its not really their fault that Creed decided to copy them and that Stapp is a complete knob).

The funny thing is though that all three bands do have something about them I like.

Pearl Jam were shit, but I really liked the pre-PJ band, Mother Love Bone.

If only Landrew hadnt been a junky, we might have got some more good music and been spared the torture of Pearl Jam.

Nirvana, as mentioned before gave the world Dave Grohl, who puts out some very good music whether it be with Foo Fighters or the million other bands he works with.

For me, Grohl is one of the coolest people in the music industry as despite his massive status, still works as a guy who is in it for the love of music rather than being all business.

As for Soundgarden, I have to say that Cornell is an amazing singer, and had things been different, would have been a great 80s AOR/hard rock singer.

The stuff he has done since Soundgarden has had its misses I admit, but stuff like Audioslave and the Bond theme he did, were great.

You know my name is not only one of the best Bond themes ever, its also an out and out amazing modern rock track.

Stolen prayer on Alice Coopers Last temptation is one of my fave Alice tracks, and really benefits from Cornells vocals.

Nirvana as I said before had a few really good songs, but overall were a complete dirge.

Pearl Jam just depressed the hell out of me due to Vedder and his annoying nasal voice.

Soundgarden, like Nirvana had some really good songs, but also had some really depressing songs.

Yep, that's it for me too. Despite there being some half listenable songs in the mix (and I mean 1 in every 700), all these bands were just so depressing. Miserable, sad pieces of shit. And that's something that really does not sit well with me - and why I don't like a lot of Finnish vocalists too.

A lot of the current modern rock bands sing about dying and cutting their penises off with rusty razors, but it never come accross as depressing because of the music, the delivery, the hooks, the choruses and uptempo songs. These grunge gronks were slow, bored and dreary sacks of shit and it was clearly evident in their music.

As I say, to each their own. To me personally, there has never been a worse style and era of music than the grunge period.

If I had to put them in order of who I think was the best, Soundgarden would probably be the best, with Nirvana second and Pearl Jam a very distant third because I couldnt stand a single thing they did, and also blame them for Creed (although its not really their fault that Creed decided to copy them and that Stapp is a complete knob).

The funny thing is though that all three bands do have something about them I like.

Pearl Jam were shit, but I really liked the pre-PJ band, Mother Love Bone.

If only Landrew hadnt been a junky, we might have got some more good music and been spared the torture of Pearl Jam.

Nirvana, as mentioned before gave the world Dave Grohl, who puts out some very good music whether it be with Foo Fighters or the million other bands he works with.

For me, Grohl is one of the coolest people in the music industry as despite his massive status, still works as a guy who is in it for the love of music rather than being all business.

As for Soundgarden, I have to say that Cornell is an amazing singer, and had things been different, would have been a great 80s AOR/hard rock singer.

The stuff he has done since Soundgarden has had its misses I admit, but stuff like Audioslave and the Bond theme he did, were great.

You know my name is not only one of the best Bond themes ever, its also an out and out amazing modern rock track.

Stolen prayer on Alice Coopers Last temptation is one of my fave Alice tracks, and really benefits from Cornells vocals.

Nicely put CH and as many know I cannot scream any louder from the rooftops may praise of Andrew Wood.

The kid was an amazing talent and MLB was pure gold. That's what made 10 the best PJ record. As obviously everyone knows that the PJ that recorded 10 was MLB minus Andrew thats why the songs on 10 are great, you can almost hear Andrew singing them.

And while we are talking about lumping bands, you certainly can not lump AIC into the same fold as the others. AIC was definatley a great hard rock band.

Yep, that's it for me too. Despite there being some half listenable songs in the mix (and I mean 1 in every 700), all these bands were just so depressing. Miserable, sad pieces of shit. And that's something that really does not sit well with me - and why I don't like a lot of Finnish vocalists too.

A lot of the current modern rock bands sing about dying and cutting their penises off with rusty razors, but it never come accross as depressing because of the music, the delivery, the hooks, the choruses and uptempo songs. These grunge gronks were slow, bored and dreary sacks of shit and it was clearly evident in their music.

As I say, to each their own. To me personally, there has never been a worse style and era of music than the grunge period.

Rusty Cage by Soundgarden is an awesome track, and unlike so much of their material, is not depressing in the least. Plus as its Cornell on vocals, it has a proper old school rock vibe to the vocals.

Pearl Jam are celebrating 20 years (since they formed) and deserve a lot more respect that Nirvana IMO, especially as the PJ20 film is awesome and they made some great music. Soundgarden too. Nirvana, apart from a few tunes, were shite.

I always stated then and still do now that Pearl Jam were (and more importantly, still are) a whole different ball game to most of the other bands coming out then and didn't deserve to be labelled under the same umbrella as most of them. Just listen to 'Ten' and the fabulous songs on there. Call them/ label them what you want, but it is basically a monster Hard Rock record from start to finish, nothing more, nothing less and a million miles away from anything Nirvana ever released.

Yeah that's pretty much my opinion. I liked Soundgarden too, largely because of Cornell's voice. The TEMPLE OF THE DOG tune "Hunger Strike" where Vedder and Cornell duet is awesome and a vocal masterclass...

Everything Soundgarden did up to Badmotorfinger was ok, here goes, I hate Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, Temple of the Dog, etc. because they didn't just make mediocre music ok, its because it proved that Americans in general are lemmings, because i know i was in 8th grade and heavily into the 80s melodic rock, and even commercial rock scene even in 8th grade, but i also know in 8th grade in my art class, i was given a Walkman by a friend of mine named Chris, and in it was a brand new cassette, by a band called Pantera, named Cowboys From Hell, i just remember every time CFH got finished playing, I would rewind it, and listen to it all over again, i was in ah! i had NEVER!! heard anything like it, and it was like sex to my ears, but you see, they didn't force feed CFH to the general public on the radio and MTV, so it showed me, that there are many more lemmings out there, then actual humans with brain waves going, Scatterbrain wrote the perfect song about this(i believe in the same year) called Taste Just Like Chicken, if you want a good laugh, seek out their disc, Scamboogerie, and give a listen, and Geoff, you'd better watch it, Cauterize had to come from some where, they aint exactly older fellows!

Scatterbrain wrote the perfect song about this(i believe in the same year) called Taste Just Like Chicken, if you want a good laugh, seek out their disc, Scamboogerie, and give a listen

Great band, great song, and it's so true too.

"In my car I drive along, the radio it plays a song

To the song I sing along, I sing along to the song

Why do I sing, sing along? Do I sing because it's a good song?

Or because I'm brainwashed because I HEAR IT EVERY FIVE MINUTES??

I sing along to dog food commercials too... I don't see a difference, do you?"

and while your checking out that cd, go ahead and give Swiss Army Girl a listen as well, just cause its so goddamn brilliant, and mad, and amusing! ya know ive heard that song before!

• 2 months later...

OK, so I picked up the 20th anniversary remaster of "NEVERMIND" at Target yesterday, and remembered this thread. Spent about ten minutes staring at that damned monkey photo (again, with and without my glasses) and I still don't see the "Love Gun" image hidden in the background.

I give up. I was never much good at those "Where's Waldo" things either.

you need to borrow Einstein glasses to see it, K :)

I don't think it matters. I'm just getting old and my eyes are shot. :lol: