BAD CITY - Welcome To The Wasteland

zacharyamelie

Anyone know if "Alec" is Alec Cyganowski from Powerspace? Just fishin' here but Bad City's guitarist and drummer both previously played in Powerspace.

I'd bet it would be. If I recall correctly, he was thanked in the liner notes of the debut by his ex-band mates and was probably sitting, waiting in the wings all the time.

I brought this up in another thread one time, but Powerspace actually had a 2nd album shelved, not long at all before Bad City hit the scene. I'd be very curious to hear what this album was like, and if it had any leanings toward what would become Bad City.

• 1 year later...

Well the (previous??) lead singer had some major issues, which is too bad because I thought he sounded great. I haven't heard a peep from these guys in a long time.

• My Little Pony

Yeah, apparently they picked up the lead singer from their previous band. I don't know what that band sounded like, so I don't know how his inclusion is gonna effect Bad City. Hopefully they keep their sound doesn't change, 'cause Welcome to the Wasteland was one of the most exciting releases from a new, young group in a long while.

Yeah, apparently they picked up the lead singer from their previous band. I don't know what that band sounded like, so I don't know how his inclusion is gonna effect Bad City. Hopefully they keep their sound doesn't change, 'cause Welcome to the Wasteland was one of the most exciting releases from a new, young group in a long while.

Yes, that cd was very good and the last singers voice fit the sound and style of the band. So I hope the sound and style stays the same.

Not sure what to make of Bad City at this point. Guitarist Tom Schleiter (who wrote or cowrote the majority of Wasteland) is no longer involved and Alec Cyganowski's vocal delivery (which I really like in Bad City's precursor Powerspace) is quite different from Josh Caddy.

Don't even know if the band is continuing on but I hope so. I would welcome a follow up cd.

• 11 years later...

Former Bad City vocalist Josh Caddy has a new Christian music project called Caddy & Co 

Here's some tunes:

Embers of Grace

In the Company of Vampires

The Wilderness Song

@metalmaniac777 you might dig these guys. 

Facebook

Caddy&Co - YouTube

• Thanks 1

Good to see he's out of jail I guess.
Never really got the details of what he did, but as he was instntly sacked by the band, you'd assume that it wasn't just a misunderstanding or banter gone wrong.

No surprises he decided to reinvent himself in a Christian band.
He has an amazing voice, so I'll be interested to hear these.
My desktop here doesn'y currently have speakers, so will check out later.

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

Good to see he's out of jail I guess.
Never really got the details of what he did, but as he was instntly sacked by the band, you'd assume that it wasn't just a misunderstanding or banter gone wrong.

No surprises he decided to reinvent himself in a Christian band.
He has an amazing voice, so I'll be interested to hear these.
My desktop here doesn'y currently have speakers, so will check out later.

He had two sexual assault charges. Made sense that the band fired him. Plus, I believe Bad City was only ever meant to be a side project. 

Definitely a lot of Bad City in some of those songs. I was digging that first song, until the chorus lyrics. Yuck. Too much for me. 

Second song is better. The song title line in the chorus is quite underwhelming, but otherwise a good tune and not too overbearing, lyrically. 

Bad City vibe not quite as strong in the third song, which is my least favourite of the three. 

Kind of wish he'd spent his time in prison in better ways than gospel brainwash, lol, but here's hoping he can make music without overbearing religious tones. 

As for why he went to prison, here's as much detail as I assume you'll ever get about the situation;

https://www.illinoiscourts.gov/Resources/ff8b03b6-6c11-4291-ae70-60e2b7ef40a3/4120481_R23.pdf

Sounds like he's actually probably been out for several years now? Possibly as far back as 2019? With time served, maybe 2018? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Definitely a lot of Bad City in some of those songs. I was digging that first song, until the chorus lyrics. Yuck. Too much for me. 

Second song is better. The song title line in the chorus is quite underwhelming, but otherwise a good tune and not too overbearing, lyrically. 

Bad City vibe not quite as strong in the third song, which is my least favourite of the three. 

Kind of wish he'd spent his time in prison in better ways than gospel brainwash, lol, but here's hoping he can make music without overbearing religious tones. 

As for why he went to prison, here's as much detail as I assume you'll ever get about the situation;

https://www.illinoiscourts.gov/Resources/ff8b03b6-6c11-4291-ae70-60e2b7ef40a3/4120481_R23.pdf

Sounds like he's actually probably been out for several years now? Possibly as far back as 2019? With time served, maybe 2018? 

I could be wrong, but I thought I remember the girl he was with was the girlfriend of one of the other guys in the band or something so I doubt there's ever a Bad City reunion lol.

Nice to see him back in music in some fashion but this certainly doesn't interest me much.  I do hear some Bad City in these though...I think mostly in that 2nd tune which is probably the best of the bunch here for me.

The dude has a good voice for rock music and I still listen to that Bad City album from time to time but the whole gospel rock thing isn't for me.  

Edited by tts42572

@whiplash1972, thanks for letting me know about this. You're right, I'm kind of digging it. Make no mistake, Bad City was better, but it's good to hear Caddy singing again, and of course, the Christian lyrics don't bother me at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tts42572 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought I remember the girl he was with was the girlfriend of one of the other guys in the band or something so I doubt there's ever a Bad City reunion lol.

Nice to see him back in music in some fashion but this certainly doesn't interest me much.  I do hear some Bad City in these though...I think mostly in that 2nd tune which is probably the best of the bunch here for me.

The dude has a good voice for rock music and I still listen to that Bad City album from time to time but the whole gospel rock thing isn't for me.  

Oh wow, didn’t know that part of the story, that it was a band member’s girlfriend. Definitely makes things a tad awkward. 

I mean his voice still holds up.
Tunes are pretty good on first listen, but I find it really hard to cut through the message.
I dunno, I love Stryper, but their message seemed presented in a different way.

This is all a bit topreachy. Maybe I'm just at a different point in my life, where I am no longer open to Christian rock?
Just seems so 30 years ago when religion was more of a thing I guess.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Caddy & Co - Real Little Bandbox

Listening to this in a shopping centre with the phone to my ear and it sounds ok.

But overall underwhelmed.

Bed City were awesome and his vocal we top notch. But I like to think I can disregard that and hear it for what it is.

I think it's the Christian stuff that is holding me back.

And I dealt with Stryper stuff no problems so I'm trying to figure out why this isn't sitting well

I guess times have changed and styper always came off as a bit gimmicky or shticky and kind of fun.

It's also 30 years later and I really don't care Bout the Christian messages. They are boring now. Even Stryper aren't as obvious in their lyrics these days.

Or maybe it's all just a reminder of the shit Josh did that landed him in jail? Silly to constantly remind people of that.

Would prefer just some fun rock music I think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2024 at 2:52 AM, CureTheSane said:

Listening to this in a shopping centre with the phone to my ear and it sounds ok.

But overall underwhelmed.

Bed City were awesome and his vocal we top notch. But I like to think I can disregard that and hear it for what it is.

I think it's the Christian stuff that is holding me back.

And I dealt with Stryper stuff no problems so I'm trying to figure out why this isn't sitting well

I guess times have changed and styper always came off as a bit gimmicky or shticky and kind of fun.

It's also 30 years later and I really don't care Bout the Christian messages. They are boring now. Even Stryper aren't as obvious in their lyrics these days.

Or maybe it's all just a reminder of the shit Josh did that landed him in jail? Silly to constantly remind people of that.

Would prefer just some fun rock music I think.

I'm right there with you.

Bad City was excellent and dude has a great voice.   And the music itself isn't bad here.  But I just don't want music that makes me feel like I'm being preached to.

I know he probably went this whole Christian route to show he's a changed man or something but in an odd way all it does is sort of serve as a constant reminder to me about what he did.  I really think I'd respect him more if he just owned the mistake by saying he was young and stupid and just move on rocking and vowing to be smarter this time.

Maybe he'll come around at some point and stop trying to play the whole Christian rock angle.

Edited by tts42572
  • Like 1

Yep shits sure changed.

You'd think it would be easy to say

Young. Stupid mistake. Crime. Time.

I mean maybe he should have asked Vince Neil for some advice on how to handle a huge mistake, or Tommy charged with abuse.

But you're right about the constant reminder here. Not just of the incident, but of what a second BC album might have been...

• Like 2