The New Nelson Album

melodicrockoz

imo (for what it's worth,... probably not much) it was stuff like nelson and trixter that spelt the end for hard rock on mainstream radio and tv.

Highly doubtful seeing as they didnt come along til 1990, and grunge was already on the rise just before it exploded in 91 when Nirvana and Nevermind came along.

On top of that, bands like Warrant, Crue, Poison and Danger Danger among many, were still getting air play right up til 91 as well.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imo (for what it's worth,... probably not much) it was stuff like nelson and trixter that spelt the end for hard rock on mainstream radio and tv.

Highly doubtful seeing as they didnt come along til 1990, and grunge was already on the rise just before it exploded in 91 when Nirvana and Nevermind came along.

Doesn't that prove my point, not disprove it...?!?!!?

1990 = bands like Nelson and Trixter hit the airwaves

1991 = grunge explodes

What?

I said Grunge had already on the rise prior to Nelson and Trixter hitting the airwaves, so it doesnt prove anything you said.

Simple fact is, what stopped hair metal/glam/hard rock from being at the same level it had always been was a fashion.

Are you honestly telling me that people who loved walking around with teased up hair and bright flashy clothes or leather, suddenly all became miserable and wore shitty jumpers and baggy jeans because of a couple of bands that were really no different to those that had come before them?

Trixter and Nelson were really not that different from bands like Winger, Warrant and Poison etc.

If anything, one of the things that helped grunge take over was the plethora of half arsed glam, hard rock and aor bands that were springing up that either just sounded like clones of existing bands or were so bad that they should never have been signed.

The fact that Nelson and Trixter were a success, proves that there was a market for them at the time, and just like Warrant, Winger, Slaughter etc etc etc, anything post 1991 was doomed because the industry took over and dictated the direction it was going in.

The whole metal and hard rock scene had been a success for over 20 years yet grunge was only a success until the next popular music style was dictated by the industry (Marilyn Manson, Blink 182, Limp Bizkit ... take your pick).

The reason none of these styles had the same kind of longevity as the music of the 70s and 80s is that those eras had genuine fans mixed in with "fashion" fans.

It was the "fashion" fans jumping ship to what they were then told was the next cool thing that killed the industry, not one or two bands.

one of the things that helped grunge take over was the plethora of half arsed glam, hard rock and aor bands that were springing up that either just sounded like clones of existing bands or were so bad that they should never have been signed.

this is where i place nelson and trixter.

i even went back to youtube to check out Nelsons stuff incase my opinions had changed over time, but it was definitely as i rembered them.

hey it's just my opinion.... not fact.

What?

I said Grunge had already on the rise prior to Nelson and Trixter hitting the airwaves, so it doesnt prove anything you said.

Simple fact is, what stopped hair metal/glam/hard rock from being at the same level it had always been was a fashion.

Are you honestly telling me that people who loved walking around with teased up hair and bright flashy clothes or leather, suddenly all became miserable and wore shitty jumpers and baggy jeans because of a couple of bands that were really no different to those that had come before them?

Trixter and Nelson were really not that different from bands like Winger, Warrant and Poison etc.

If anything, one of the things that helped grunge take over was the plethora of half arsed glam, hard rock and aor bands that were springing up that either just sounded like clones of existing bands or were so bad that they should never have been signed.

The fact that Nelson and Trixter were a success, proves that there was a market for them at the time, and just like Warrant, Winger, Slaughter etc etc etc, anything post 1991 was doomed because the industry took over and dictated the direction it was going in.

The whole metal and hard rock scene had been a success for over 20 years yet grunge was only a success until the next popular music style was dictated by the industry (Marilyn Manson, Blink 182, Limp Bizkit ... take your pick).

The reason none of these styles had the same kind of longevity as the music of the 70s and 80s is that those eras had genuine fans mixed in with "fashion" fans.

It was the "fashion" fans jumping ship to what they were then told was the next cool thing that killed the industry, not one or two bands.

And just a quick thought to help continue the derailment of this thread, what if, now open your mind real wide...if Nirvana looked like Pretty Boy Floyd? What would your take/opinion on Nevermind be?

It really doesnt matter what they looked like, it was a musical shift as well.

PBF songs were about happy things, Nirvanas were not.

PBF songs contained shredding guitars and gang vocals, Nirvanas contained tuned down guitars and no melodic backing vocals at all.

You could dress Nirvana up in giant banana costumes, and clown noses, and they would still sound miserable.

I own Nevermind, and apart from 4 or 5 songs, I just cannot listen to it.

one of the things that helped grunge take over was the plethora of half arsed glam, hard rock and aor bands that were springing up that either just sounded like clones of existing bands or were so bad that they should never have been signed.

this is where i place nelson and trixter.

i even went back to youtube to check out Nelsons stuff incase my opinions had changed over time, but it was definitely as i rembered them.

hey it's just my opinion.... not fact.

And just as many people would go back and say that Pretty Boy Floyd were the cause, or whatever glam/aor/hard rock band they didnt like.

It really doesnt matter what they looked like, it was a musical shift as well.

PBF songs were about happy things, Nirvanas were not.

PBF songs contained shredding guitars and gang vocals, Nirvanas contained tuned down guitars and no melodic backing vocals at all.

You could dress Nirvana up in giant banana costumes, and clown noses, and they would still sound miserable.

I own Nevermind, and apart from 4 or 5 songs, I just cannot listen to it.

I don't know, I think Nirvana sound kinda sleezy, ya the guitars are tuned down, but Ratt did a ton of off tuning and listen to "On A Plain" off Nevermind and tell me that could not have been done by LA Guns or any other glam/sleeze/hard rock band.

Again just an observation.

The album cover is very similar to the cover of The Storm debut designed by Hugh Syme....dunno if the Nelson album is the same artist.

Looks like it was drawn from the behind the bloke with the brolly as opposed to the front on The Storm release.

Also what's with the guys look....they look a bit like Jedward :lol: Still looking forward to it though.

For me 'After The Rain' is a masterful AOR album.

James, Im amazed you think this is lightweight, almost pop. Songs like 'Fill You Up' or 'Just Desire' rock like a bastard! Cant wait to see these guys at Firefest!

Cheers

It's been years since I've heard any Nelson, so I just listened to the 2 tracks mentioned above (with an open mind). While they are quite upbeat, they have big, chanted, happy-sounding choruses that sound really poppy to me. Nice guitar solo in 'Just Desire' but for me the choruses could have been lifted straight from a boy band. Not my cup of tea at all. Apologies for any trauma caused by this post.

:whistle:

Aside from them being the poster children for pretty boys back in the day, I will say that they are both very talented musicians. I think they lost their pace a lot in the 90's, but they seem to be back on track a little better

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is usually related to record labels.

With big labels, worldwide releases tend to happen at the same time, but with smaller labels, a band will often be signed to several different labels all over the world.

As we all know, the European labels snap this kind of stuff up and try to get it out as quick as possible due to the popularity in Europe of this type of music, but in the states its a harder sell, meaning that many labels will either not touch it or consider it a priority release.

I bet a lot of people here have a lot of European imports for American bands, because the releases over here are often as not, quicker and sometimes contain extra tracks to the US versions.

With big labels, worldwide releases tend to happen at the same time, but with smaller labels, a band will often be signed to several different labels all over the world.

As we all know, the European labels snap this kind of stuff up and try to get it out as quick as possible due to the popularity in Europe of this type of music, but in the states its a harder sell, meaning that many labels will either not touch it or consider it a priority release.

I bet a lot of people here have a lot of European imports for American bands, because the releases over here are often as not, quicker and sometimes contain extra tracks to the US versions.

Yup if I can get the import 6 months earlier than the US version and the price is the same I always buy it early especially as you said that some have bonus tracks that don't always come on the US version for some reason.

Yup if I can get the import 6 months earlier than the US version and the price is the same I always buy it early especially as you said that some have bonus tracks that don't always come on the US version for some reason.

My belief for the extra tracks once again comes down to the current market of US vs Euro popularity.

It seems to me that the Euro labels seem to have more interest in the music, and the ones that were specifically set up to sell this type of music are somewhat larger than their US counterparts because they seem to sell more and make more money.

Years ago the Japanese market got extra tracks because CDs cost so much over there, that the labels gave their customers a little bit extra to sort of balance the extra costs, but with Euro bonus tracks it just comes down the market and the label interest.

A few years ago when I was buying heavily, I was actually buying a lot of European released discs from sellers in the USA like Metal Mayhem and The Harlings on eBay, because it actually worked out cheaper due to the conversion rate. Albums that were sold here for £11-£13 or so, I was re-importing for around £6-£7.

Really loving what I am hearing so far.

Have to say that I preordered this as soon as this topic was first posted and drew my attention to it, and now I am really looking forward to it.

I like all the Nelson albums, including Brother harmony (I like country, so sue me), but I would never say I was the biggest Nelson fan per se, but I have always liked them, and the debut was one of my first (if not THE first) CDs I ever owned, and I was surprised just how good it was considering how the UK rock press was always taking the piss out of them.

From the tracks in that video, it really is starting to sound like a direct follow up to the debut. Still the huge harmonies and melody, but maybe a little heavier (though not a lot).

My belief for the extra tracks once again comes down to the current market of US vs Euro popularity.

It seems to me that the Euro labels seem to have more interest in the music, and the ones that were specifically set up to sell this type of music are somewhat larger than their US counterparts because they seem to sell more and make more money.

Years ago the Japanese market got extra tracks because CDs cost so much over there, that the labels gave their customers a little bit extra to sort of balance the extra costs, but with Euro bonus tracks it just comes down the market and the label interest.

A few years ago when I was buying heavily, I was actually buying a lot of European released discs from sellers in the USA like Metal Mayhem and The Harlings on eBay, because it actually worked out cheaper due to the conversion rate. Albums that were sold here for £11-£13 or so, I was re-importing for around £6-£7.

One thing that does drive me crazy and it doesn't happen that often sometimes a band issues a cd that has a 'Best Buy' or 'Target' only bonus track and it's different than the import or the normal US version so you have to buy 4 different cds to have all of the songs and i think it's Bullshit on the bands part to do that but then again it doesn't happen that often.

The exclusive bonus content thing has been one of main complaints in recent years, mainly because stores like Target and Walmart are not available to international buyers, so the only chance we get of getting it is for us to either find someone in the US to buy and send it to us, or hope someone eBays it.

Now, as you say, often as not its now multiple exclusives depending on country, where you buy it and if you download it.

The most recent example of this was the Slash album.

There was a track exclusive to iTunes, a track exclusive to the Classic Rock release, a track exclusive to Japan etc etc etc

This is why these days I usually buy one version (the version with most tracks on it) then download the other bonus tracks illegally.

Of course what later happens, like with the Slash album, a deluxe version is released with all the bonus tracks on it on one disc (although it still missed one of the bonus tracks) and a bunch of new bonus tracks.

I refuse to buy multiple versions of a CD just to get everything, and this is certainly a reason for illegal downloading, and the record labels (and maybe artists in some cases) only have themselves to blame.