Reb Beach Hates Kirk Hammett...

Fat Freddy

I eagerly await the response to this one from the Metallica camp. :rofl2:

From Blabbermouth

( http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=137982 )

When asked about the comparisons between his playing and that of METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett, Beach said, "I don't know the guy [Kirk], but I think he's one of the worst guitar players I've ever heard in my life. I've never heard a solo from that guy that was any good. . . This guy is out of tune, and his vibration... what is it? Vibrato. Oh my god. It sounds like a beginner."

He continued, "Back in the '80s, he was always voted best guitar player, and I'm like, 'What?! That guy is terrible.'

"I hate to say that because I might meet him one day.

"What's he play in? MEGADETH? METALLICA? Is he in METALLICA? Oh, then I have no problem doing that because in their biggest video, 'Nothing Else Matters', when they threw darts at a poster of Kip Winger, and then they showed it live — 20,000 people every night laughing at WINGER — I don't mind saying that Kirk Hammett sucks."

The truth hurts. Reb blows Kirk away. Kirk had some nice solos and they sounded good in Metallica and all but Reb on the technical side is so much better than Kirk and Reb had some great solos as well and still does. Sure Kirk is much better known and is in the bigger band but Metallica are a lot like Kiss where the sum of their parts are better than the individual talent IMO. I'm not saying Kirk sucks or anything but Reb is so much better. What's funny is that on that Metal Show they were just talking about that video where Lars was throwing darts at Kip's pic.

Kip > James

Reb > Kirk

Rod > Lars

Winger were without a doubt the best musical band of the big hair metal scene and if it wasnt' for Beavis and Butthead and that stupid Metallica ballad video they might be remembered better by the mainstream music media and fans.

I'm not a guitar player so I dont' have the "trained ear" necessary to say who's better than who. I was never much of a Winger fan but I did like Reb's work in Dokken and wish he'd stuck around with them for more than one studio album. Besides, Reb's and Kirk's playing styles are pretty far removed from one another. So I am not taking sides on this one. :lol:

If anything, maybe Vince McMahon could arrange a steel cage death match for'em at the next Wrestlemania to settle it once and for all. :lol:

Reb Slaughters Kirk IMO.

I must agree with Reb. Kirk is fairly rubbish. Just watch the video when Metallica records the black album. Rob Rock tells to play a certain piece but he can't manage to do it. Rock tells him to return when he has practiced and know how to play it.

But I must say Metallica is a great band, Especially the early albums and Kirk Hammet needs to be in there I think because he is just KIRK.

I don't really think anyone in Metallica can defend themselves against the argument that they're not the most technically skilled band in the World. However they can point to their album sales and standing in Heavy Metal, all of which outstrips anything Beach has achieved. I realise that Winger may technically be more talented musicians, but their live show is dogshit whereas Metallica (for all their obvious technical limitations) almost-always put on a killer show.

Beach may be right here about technical ability, but IMO he should've put his talent to more use in making great albums.

I don't really think anyone in Metallica can defend themselves against the argument that they're not the most technically skilled band in the World. However they can point to their album sales and standing in Heavy Metal, all of which outstrips anything Beach has achieved. I realise that Winger may technically be more talented musicians, but their live show is dogshit whereas Metallica (for all their obvious technical limitations) almost-always put on a killer show.

Beach may be right here about technical ability, but IMO he should've put his talent to more use in making great albums.

Very true.

Reb is an phenomenal guitarist (especially love his tapping technique) and there is no doubt in my opinion that he's the better guitarist (leave that damn Wah pedal alone Kirk).

I also agree with Heaven & Hell - having talented members in a band, doesn't necessarily mean you have a better band overall.

That being said, Kirk gets some bonus points for having the patience of a saint - it takes a certain kind of person to deal with both James' and Lars' egos. If it had been someone else, we may not have had Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets. Plus that facepalm in Some Kind Of Monster is just epic.

The truth hurts. Reb blows Kirk away. Kirk had some nice solos and they sounded good in Metallica and all but Reb on the technical side is so much better than Kirk and Reb had some great solos as well and still does. Sure Kirk is much better known and is in the bigger band but Metallica are a lot like Kiss where the sum of their parts are better than the individual talent IMO. I'm not saying Kirk sucks or anything but Reb is so much better. What's funny is that on that Metal Show they were just talking about that video where Lars was throwing darts at Kip's pic.

Kip > James

Reb > Kirk

Rod > Lars

Winger were without a doubt the best musical band of the big hair metal scene and if it wasnt' for Beavis and Butthead and that stupid Metallica ballad video they might be remembered better by the mainstream music media and fans.

Hammet, he is as sorry as the band he fucking nausiates me with, he's fucking lame, plays lame riffs, solos, has no hooks, and is more concerned about how catchy his newest jingle(or excuse me chorus)is, for the single that he's trying to get to break the top 10! fucking sell out punk bitch, fuck Spurt Hammet, and fuck METALLISUCK!!

I know much has always been made of Hammett being one of Satriani's students, much like Vai, but I have never heard anything by Metallica thats ever made me think that he is anything more than a good guitarist. No better or no worse than a multitude of other metal/rock guitarists.

I like a lot of Metallicas stuff, and I certainly wouldnt say Hammett was crap by any means, but if I had to choose between him and Beech, I'd go with Reb any day of the week.

That said, you cant help to think that the only reason Reb says this is because of that video.

Hell, he even pretends to not know what band he is in, and then goes and mentions the Nothing else matters video, so no way could he not know which band he was in.

Yeah, its probably a case of justified sour grapes, but in my opinion, its Hetfield the comments should really be aimed at. How on Earth he could mock Winger when he lists Kansas as one of his favourite bands, is beyond me.

Kip may have been a bit of a poster boy, but Wingers music was far heavier than Kansas.

I've got to admit I rarely think about who is the better/best guitarist/drummer/vocalist etc....For me the overall sound/song/music is what matters so you could easily have an average guitarist playing on an excellent song that I will listen to over and over again .....as well you could have an excellent guitarist playing on an average song that I'll only spin a few times....

As for the 2 mentioned players I've listened to more Metallica (up to the Black album) than any of Beach's bands....

Reb's tapping technique is by far my favorite, Nuno is second, Vai third. His sound is so unique even with the hundreds of guitarist from the 80's,90's and even today. I can only spot a handfull of guitarists with a simple solo of the guitar and Reb is one (others include Vai, May, Van Halen, Bratta, Blaze, Bettencourt). I honestly don't really like Kip's voice and the songs are sometimes lacking in the chorus dept, therefore Winger is not an essential band in my collection. However Reb is one of top 5 guitarists in the hair rock world.

I am with Reb Beach, 'cause Hettfield and Ulrich has always denigrate Winger.

It's just not fair because they made such great deep music with album like Pull.

Hammett has sure made some memorable metal solos (enter sandman).

I pulled out my Winger cassettes partly because of this thread. I haven't listened to them in a while. Their first couple albums are hit and miss. Not every song may be great, but when they get it right the songs are killer. I still need to listen to Pull again, but if I remember right it's excellent. The best of their original releases. Not sure why Metallica (or any other band for that matter) decided to pick on Winger in the first place. It's not as if they could ever create something that could even match Wingers weakest output.

Not sure why Metallica (or any other band for that matter) decided to pick on Winger in the first place. It's not as if they could ever create something that could even match Wingers weakest output.

Are you seriously suggesting that "Winger IV" is better than "...And Justice For All" or "Master of Puppets"? That's total nonsense of the highest order. Winger may be better musicians technically, but Metallica have made much more of their more meagre talents.

Metallica are bonafide 'legends' with at least 3 genuine 'classic' albums. Winger had far more ability than their 5 albums of output hinted at, and IMO if you own "Pull" and "Karma" and their "Best Of..." album then that's all you need...

This is like comparing an apple off the tree and apple pie. What's the point?

Maybe if Reb appeared on a Metallica tribute album or Kirk on a Winger tribute we'd have something to talk about ;)

Not sure why Metallica (or any other band for that matter) decided to pick on Winger in the first place. It's not as if they could ever create something that could even match Wingers weakest output.

Are you seriously suggesting that "Winger IV" is better than "...And Justice For All" or "Master of Puppets"? That's total nonsense of the highest order. Winger may be better musicians technically, but Metallica have made much more of their more meagre talents.

Metallica are bonafide 'legends' with at least 3 genuine 'classic' albums. Winger had far more ability than their 5 albums of output hinted at, and IMO if you own "Pull" and "Karma" and their "Best Of..." album then that's all you need...

As you say, its your opinion.

I'd say though that Metallica only became 'Legends' after they suddenly went commercial with the black album, as prior to then, they had very little appeal to anyone but thrash fans, and after the black album, they churned out turd after turd after turd.

The earlier albums are far superior, but had they continued on that route instead of teaming with Bob Rock, they would have been no bigger than Megadeth or Anthrax.

If I had to choose a full catalogue of music from one or the other, I would choose Winger, as all of their albums have merit, where as only a fraction of Metallicas does.

With shite like Load, Reload and St Anger, they have not covered themselves in any form of glory in most peoples eyes.

Metallica a very overrated, and are no better than most boybands as they are all just about marketing, and bandwagon jumping.

As you say, its your opinion.

I'd say though that Metallica only became 'Legends' after they suddenly went commercial with the black album, as prior to then, they had very little appeal to anyone but thrash fans, and after the black album, they churned out turd after turd after turd.

They only started selling records once the black album came along. They already had 3-4 classic albums behind them by then, something that most Rock/Metal lists of (fan-voted) classic albums will back-up. Even the biggest Winger fan could only really argue they made 1 killer disc - "Pull" -(though "Karma" is damn good) and even then it doesn't tend to appear on many "Best Of All-Time..." lists that I see - even in the HH community...

Poor Reb, still cryin' the blues over the damn dartboard. The way the guys in Winger, particularly Reb, still harp on the injustice of that incident, and the Beavis and Butt-Head thing, is embarrassing. To hear Reb tell it, those two events single-handedly derailed the band's career, overnight. But look at all the other bands who WEREN'T made into dartboards in popular videos or held up for ridicule on cartoon shows, bands from the same era, who were just as successful as Winger, whose careers started to fizzle around the same time. Times were changing. Anyway, Reb and the others conveniently neglect their own cheesy videos that helped make them such an object of sport. Yeah, yeah, everybody was doing it, the label insisted, etc. Whatever.

For that matter, Reb still sour-graping about the dartboard is a lot like some Metallica fans still pissing and moaning because "they made a video after they swore they never would!"

Disclaimer: I like both Winger and Metallica.

Actually Metallica did pretty well before the black album, people who knew good music knew who Metallica was, it wasnt as if they needed to break away, and between you and me, it's not like listeners of the top 40 are huge music brains, that it would have stretched Metallicas fan base, Top 40 whores only like you while your in style, then your gone as quick as you came, just like Metallica, unlike Slayer, who on the other hand havent tried to be greedy and sell out, still have at least one fan(me) who will go down the second they release something, good or bad, and purchase their new cd, because they respect me, I respect them, Metallica are a joke, they are a novelty, and I think of them as just that, they are pathetic!

Actually Metallica did pretty well before the black album, people who knew good music knew who Metallica was, it wasnt as if they needed to break away, and between you and me, it's not like listeners of the top 40 are huge music brains, that it would have stretched Metallicas fan base, Top 40 whores only like you while your in style, then your gone as quick as you came, just like Metallica, unlike Slayer, who on the other hand havent tried to be greedy and sell out, still have at least one fan(me) who will go down the second they release something, good or bad, and purchase their new cd, because they respect me, I respect them, Metallica are a joke, they are a novelty, and I think of them as just that, they are pathetic!

How can you differentiate Metallica from Slayer? Both bands sold out in an embarrasing/cringeworthy way throughout the 90's, but none of the horrorshow albums they released during that time negates from the Classic albums they made in the 80's. Why does the release of "St.Anger" make "Master of Puppets" any less of a classic album? Same with "Diabolus In Musica" and "Reign In Blood". Likewise in Melodic Rock, just because Bon Jovi have frankly sucked for the past 10 years that doesn't make their debut or "New Jersey" any less great...