Reb Beach Hates Kirk Hammett...

Fat Freddy

All this technical proficiency is bollocks....if I wanted to watch a load of musos just showing off how well they play and stand in awe of their technique then I'd get into jazz....(or Dream Theatre haha!). At the end of the day it's the song that counts and it's rarely the greatest players who write the best, most moving or exciting songs.

In my book Metallica can take a running jump after Kill em All, and though Hamnett my not be the greatest guitarist he still must have some degree of proficiency. good luck to him (oh he's a millionaire probably so he doesn't really need my luck I guess), but his band sucks serious donkey dick.

Maybe if Reb appeared on a Metallica tribute album or Kirk on a Winger tribute we'd have something to talk about ;)

I'd pay to hear Metallica cover a Winger song. "She's only seventeeeeeeeeeeeeen-AH!" :rofl:

What kills me is that in the original news bit, Reb pretends he doesn't even know who Kirk Hammett is at first. Then suddenly he knows all about him. "Oh yeah, they're those shit talkers who threw darts at a picture of my boss, yadda yadda yadda"

Actually Metallica did pretty well before the black album, people who knew good music knew who Metallica was, it wasnt as if they needed to break away, and between you and me, it's not like listeners of the top 40 are huge music brains, that it would have stretched Metallicas fan base, Top 40 whores only like you while your in style, then your gone as quick as you came, just like Metallica, unlike Slayer, who on the other hand havent tried to be greedy and sell out, still have at least one fan(me) who will go down the second they release something, good or bad, and purchase their new cd, because they respect me, I respect them, Metallica are a joke, they are a novelty, and I think of them as just that, they are pathetic!

How can you differentiate Metallica from Slayer? Both bands sold out in an embarrasing/cringeworthy way throughout the 90's, but none of the horrorshow albums they released during that time negates from the Classic albums they made in the 80's. Why does the release of "St.Anger" make "Master of Puppets" any less of a classic album? Same with "Diabolus In Musica" and "Reign In Blood". Likewise in Melodic Rock, just because Bon Jovi have frankly sucked for the past 10 years that doesn't make their debut or "New Jersey" any less great...

Because no matter how bad one of Slayers cd's sucked, they werent bound to be on the MTV Music Awards with Snoop od or Kanya West, I didnt compare any albums, Just think metallicas, spineless and sorry!

All this technical proficiency is bollocks....if I wanted to watch a load of musos just showing off how well they play and stand in awe of their technique then I'd get into jazz....(or Dream Theatre haha!). At the end of the day it's the song that counts and it's rarely the greatest players who write the best, most moving or exciting songs.

Troof. I haven't bothered with this thread because I've offered the same argument since the day I hit the internet. In this case of course I prefer Reb Beach and Winger personally, but that's only because Winger wrote great songs that I prefer to Metallica's songs (apart from 'IV') and it has nothing to do with Reb being a better guitarist than Kirk Hammett. That said, I do love Reb's playing.

• 1 month later...

The truth hurts. Reb blows Kirk away. Kirk had some nice solos and they sounded good in Metallica and all but Reb on the technical side is so much better than Kirk and Reb had some great solos as well and still does. Sure Kirk is much better known and is in the bigger band but Metallica are a lot like Kiss where the sum of their parts are better than the individual talent IMO. I'm not saying Kirk sucks or anything but Reb is so much better. What's funny is that on that Metal Show they were just talking about that video where Lars was throwing darts at Kip's pic.

Kip > James

Reb > Kirk

Rod > Lars

Winger were without a doubt the best musical band of the big hair metal scene and if it wasnt' for Beavis and Butthead and that stupid Metallica ballad video they might be remembered better by the mainstream music media and fans.

Couldn't say it better...I agree 100% Wes.