Selling Out - Which Band Pissed You Off The Most?

heaven&hell

• 2023 Gold Donors

Whenever people drop the 'sell out' on Dio's Angry Machines (and ive heard some say it was a sell out and some say it just blew) im quick to point out that even though there was some modern influences on that one,it was more the product of weak writing,that album was basically thrown together haphazard and put out for an excuse to tour which for us RJD fans is a good thing.Rather than a 'sell out' per se.All involved since w/that one have stated that the bulk of it blows and id agree-yet i will say that 'Hunter Of The Heart' ,'Double Monday' & the jap track were solid songs regardless.RJD has NEVER even come close to selling out in my book..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever people drop the 'sell out' on Dio's Angry Machines (and ive heard some say it was a sell out and some say it just blew) im quick to point out that even though there was some modern influences on that one,it was more the product of weak writing,that album was basically thrown together haphazard and put out for an excuse to tour which for us RJD fans is a good thing.Rather than a 'sell out' per se.All involved since w/that one have stated that the bulk of it blows and id agree-yet i will say that 'Hunter Of The Heart' ,'Double Monday' & the jap track were solid songs regardless.RJD has NEVER even come close to selling out in my book..

I love everything Dio does so I don't hate that disc but it is my least fav solo album of his but I still like every song and Vinny places his ass off on that disc. Most of the blame IMO goes to Tracy G. His style of playing leans toward the heavier and less melodic style. The previous disc Strange Highways was awesome though.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Yeah i agree 'Strange Highways' was solid..Tracy is better live' than on record..he told me he doesn't really like AM and that he hardly ever listens to it.Aldrich fits alot better in the band and he's a better player,where Tracy is alot more wild & all over the place..but far from a 'hack though.

Kinda suprized no one mentioned WASP's "K.F.D" album?? Definitely the worst of their catalogue....

Motley Crue's "Generation Swine" Pretty much blew goats too......

And, of course, Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake" A black/thrash band making a hair metal record?? WTF???? :yikes:

• 2023 Gold Donors
Kinda suprized no one mentioned WASP's "K.F.D" album?? Definitely the worst of their catalogue....

A few of those tunes sounded pretty decent on their 'Double Live Assassins',but yeah i couldn't stand that industrial

BS sound on that record..

And, of course, Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake" A black/thrash band making a hair metal record?? WTF???? :yikes:

Agree with the first 2 but once again in the minority,I really liked 'Cold Lake'.....probably because it was my first CF exposure and because it was accessible compared to their other releases....

Agree with the first 2 but once again in the minority,I really liked 'Cold Lake'.....probably because it was my first CF exposure and because it was accessible compared to their other releases....

Backed - I really liked "Cold Lake" too. Seriously that album has to be the biggest sell-out in music history, but it kinda worked in a strange way & I have the chorus to "Roses Without Thorns" running through my head as I type this....

Backed - I really liked "Cold Lake" too. Seriously that album has to be the biggest sell-out in music history, but it kinda worked in a strange way & I have the chorus to "Roses Without Thorns" running through my head as I type this....

Haha. Man, I thought that CD was terrible! I remember buying that one (and their next CD too) based on the band photos and I found it to be one of the worst CDs I ever heard. They had some kind of warped impression of "hair metal." :lol:

Agree with the "The L.A. Guns' CD released after Phil vanished for abit. That was terrible. Do not know why Chris decided to sing like a growling monster for that CD when he sang alittle ok in Cherry St. with his glam vocals for what they were worth back then.

But I would not say that was a selling out CD.

SELLOUTICA (I mean Metallica) anything after the Black album.

Well they were at least close to their old selves with the last disc, Death Magnetic.

Wes, please don't get me started.

It's been well documented how you feel about this band Bob so I'm not trying to get your started. :lol:

I was just saying that when compared to their other releases since the Black album Death Magnetic is at least a step in the right direction towards their old agressive thrashy sound.

• 2 months later...
Guest MetalPete67

'Belly to Belly' - Warrant -- good call, brought to note several times by many of you. After "Dog Eat Dog" and "Ultraphobic" too, it was just completely unforgivable wasn't it?

I lived in Orlando at the time, and Jani had his Sunset Strip bar which was great. Saw Zakk Wylde there, and reunited Dokken :headbanger: Just could not understand what kind of thought process was going on with the Belly to Belly fiasco.

Def Leppard lost me at 'Adrenalize'. I mean, come on. "Have you ever needed anyone so bad?". THAT is a song??? They should have called it "de-metallize".

Fuggin Vivian dismisses the best work he ever did (that would be with DIO...)- but we will likely hear a different tune now, won't we?

RIP, Ronnie.

Don't forget the embarrassing Shadow King release, in which Mr. Campbell merely stood in the background and pretended to play the guitar.

Guess I am just still a bit too metal to digest crap like that.

Don't forget the embarrassing Shadow King release, in which Mr. Campbell merely stood in the background and pretended to play the guitar.

Guess I am just still a bit too metal to digest crap like that.

Me too - I had that CD and tried to listen to it, but just had to turn it off. Sounded like dull pop music to me. I usually give albums a second chance (and probably should with this one) but I couldn't bring myself to play it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think VH sold out with III I just don't think it was very good overall and the production sucked to make it worse. To be honest I don't think Gary Cherone was a bad choice for singer at all but for some reason Eddie and him didn't seem to come up with to many good songs.

I agree and it was shocking to me, too, 'cause I think Eddie is a genius but that album was intolerable. Cherone is an outstanding vocalist, and it irks me when the failure of that record gets blamed on him. EVH just did not deliver the goods and it was amazing to me, too, because I don't think any VH album had ever received more hype. Wasn't it '98 at that point, 20 years after their debut album came out? There was just so much anticipation, so, I can appreciate how people felt about that CD.

I don't think VH sold out with III I just don't think it was very good overall and the production sucked to make it worse. To be honest I don't think Gary Cherone was a bad choice for singer at all but for some reason Eddie and him didn't seem to come up with to many good songs.

I agree and it was shocking to me, too, 'cause I think Eddie is a genius but that album was intolerable. Cherone is an outstanding vocalist, and it irks me when the failure of that record gets blamed on him. EVH just did not deliver the goods and it was amazing to me, too, because I don't think any VH album had ever received more hype. Wasn't it '98 at that point, 20 years after their debut album came out? There was just so much anticipation, so, I can appreciate how people felt about that CD.

Yup it was 98 and yeah they promoted and hyped the hell out of that disc and Eddie talked about how Gary wrote the best lyrics ever but for some reason the songs seem to not be as good although there was some very good tunes the production was horrific(another good reason for not picking a producer of tv shows to produce your album). Gary sounded fine but he seemed to sound more like Sammy(not that's anything wrong with that) instead of sounding like himself.