Selling Out - Which Band Pissed You Off The Most?

heaven&hell

There were many of our fav bands that sometime in the 90's made "that" album.

You know the one that was so unlike their other albums that you had to check the disc two or three times to make sure it was the right band. I'm sure bands like Wildside, Warrant, D2, Queensryce and maybe even Dangerous Toys(WTF was that Artist Formerly Known As disc?) will get votes but:

For me it was DOKKEN with their Shit....I mean...."Shadow.......Life" release.

After the awesome "Dysfunctional" where they were able to mix together some newer influences but still have some of their signature sound they instead followed it up with this pile of crap. The other thing that pissed me off is how the band members would talk about how great it is but within 6 months George was out of the band and they all hated it and never liked it in the first place. So which one was it?

I will admit there was some good ballads thrown in and the song Pilson sang was good but the style was just so UN-Dokken.

Forgive me if we've done this thread, as I'm sure we have but I just can't remember for sure. :unsure:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. I think I did a poll on this one. :lol:

It's hard to say which one pissed me off the most. Without exception, every single one pissed me off severely. If Slaughter, Bon Jovi, Tuff and several other bands who didn't sell out could do it, why the f*ck did all these other bands think they had to do it? So yeah, they all piss me off equally purely because they did it, but I guess the worst of the lot would have to be:

'Shadowlife' - Dokken

'Smoke this' - Lynch Mob

'Belly to Belly' - Warrant

's/t - Wildside

'Inwire' - Sven Gali

Especially Wildside and Sven Gali because they'd both just come off such killer debuts. Another one you could add to that list is Masquerade. Although 'Surface of pain' is easily one of the better sell out CDs, they'd also just released that killer debut.

Of them all, which were the least awful? Probably Warrant's 'Ultraphobic', Danger Danger's 'Dawn', PC69's 'Change', Masquerade's 'Surface of pain' and Dokken's 'Dysfunctional'... I guess?

To me, its not so much that they "sold out", it's just that the albums mentioned just plain sucked. I know some are going to mention Def Leppard's "Slang". It is different but it is quite good. And it was a welcome change to all the shit out there, their own stuff included that sounded like "Hysteria". I never mind a band trying to change because then their sound doesn't grow stale. It's when what they release just plain sucks. That pisses me off....

Metallica's LOAD, RELOAD and ST. ANGER pissed me off so much that I wouldn't have pissed on Lars Ulrich if he were on fire.

Helloween totally lost the plot with PINK BUBBLES GO APE and especially CHAMELEON. Thank God they gave Kiske the Froot Loop his walking papers after that pair of albums.

It's hard to say which one pissed me off the most. Without exception, every single one pissed me off severely. If Slaughter, Bon Jovi, Tuff and several other bands who didn't sell out could do it, why the f*ck did all these other bands think they had to do it? So yeah, they all piss me off equally purely because they did it, but I guess the worst of the lot would have to be:

'Shadowlife' - Dokken

'Smoke this' - Lynch Mob

's/t - Wildside

'Inwire' - Sven Gali

Especially Wildside and Sven Gali because they'd both just come off such killer debuts. Another one you could add to that list is Masquerade. Although 'Surface of pain' is easily one of the better sell out CDs, they'd also just released that killer debut.

Of them all, which were the least awful? Probably Warrant's 'Ultraphobic', Danger Danger's 'Dawn', PC69's 'Change', Masquerade's 'Surface of pain' and Dokken's 'Dysfunctional'... I guess?

I don't see 'Dysfunctional' as sell out at all not when you consider 'Shadowlife'.

'Ultraphobic' kicked ass and at least had that heaviness of 'Dog Eat Dog'. Sure it might of been seen as a little grungy in places but it still had a bunch of good tunes IMO and wasn't nearly as left field as 'Belly' was.

I'm probably alone but I quite enjoyed D2's 'Dawn' and PC69's 'Change'.

I guess those two would be considered, by me at least, two of the better albums that were perceived as sell out releases.

Metallica's LOAD, RELOAD and ST. ANGER pissed me off so much that I wouldn't have pissed on Lars Ulrich if he were on fire.

Helloween totally lost the plot with PINK BUBBLES GO APE and especially CHAMELEON. Thank God they gave Kiske the Froot Loop his walking papers after that pair of albums.

To be honest I would of rather Metallica made RE-Loaded Again(or whatever clever title they could of came up with) than release that pile of crap that is 'St Anger'. I appreciated them trying to play fast again but the strange barking vocals, odd lyrics, no guitar solos and horrible garage style production made that disc one of the worst in my collection. Hell I don't even know why I still have it. It must be the completest in me. :lol:

'Shadowlife' - Dokken

'Smoke this' - Lynch Mob

's/t - Wildside

'Inwire' - Sven Gali

I don't see 'Dysfunctional' as sell out at all not when you consider 'Shadowlife'.

'Ultraphobic' kicked ass and at least had that heaviness of 'Dog Eat Dog'. Sure it might of been seen as a little grungy in places but it still had a bunch of good tunes IMO and wasn't nearly as left field as 'Belly' was.

I'm probably alone but I quite enjoyed D2's 'Dawn' and PC69's 'Change'.

I guess those two would be considered, by me at least, two of the better albums that were perceived as sell out releases.

No doubt about it, cousin. As decent as a few of the albums are, there's no doubt at all in my mind they're sell-out releases anyway. Simple fact is that if grunge was not selling at the time, do you honestly think any of these bands would have made CDs that sound like these? I certainly don't.

WARRANT "Ultraphobic" (technically "Belly To Belly" was worse, but this was the sellout album)

EUROPE "Start From The Dark" (This band are a joke)

Yeah, ones like that are even more pathetic. It's as if they're living in their own moronic world where they think it's 1995 and they need to record f*cking garbage to stay 'current'... even though everyone else know's the moment's already been and gone. Quite shameful, really.

Yeah, ones like that are even more pathetic. It's as if they're living in their own moronic world where they think it's 1995 and they need to record f*cking garbage to stay 'current'... even though everyone else know's the moment's already been and gone. Quite shameful, really.

I thought you liked that album?

I thought you liked that album?

I tolerate parts of it, just like I do the majority of these sell-out discs, bar the 5 I mentioned.

But to put it in perspective, 'Prisoners in paradise' is one of the best CDs I have ever heard in my entire life. I have listened to 'Start from the dark' a few times, but each time is a chore and it's not something I ever look forward to, despite a few decent songs. All three of their sell-out albums have listenable parts, but to say they're even 100th of what the band has done and what they are/were capable of is nothing but a complete lie.

Being a HUGE Dangerous Toys and Shotgun Messiah fan back in the day I was really sort of ticked when "The R-tist 4-merly Known As Dangerous Toys" and "Violent New Breed" came out with that industrial metal sound.

Some of the songs on the DT release grew on me a little....I said a little, not much....a little. The only tune on Violent New Breed that I could tolerate was Rain. For how good these guys were at what they did on their previous releases, I was disappointed to say the least.

KISS - Carnival of Souls

Extreme - Waiting for the Punchline

Van Halen - III

Queensryche - Promised Land

I don't think VH sold out with III I just don't think it was very good overall and the production sucked to make it worse. To be honest I don't think Gary Cherone was a bad choice for singer at all but for some reason Eddie and him didn't seem to come up with to many good songs. Of course as a fan we also had to deal with him not being Sammy or Dave which isn't fair to Gary but it's just the way it is.

I never got that Extreme disc it just didn't make sense to me at all. I had read all of these great reviews so I bought it and I just never enjoyed it much.

I'm probably alone but I always liked that Kiss disc. Sure it's grungy as hell but I loved it when Kiss tried to get heavy.

I hated the Queensryche when I first got it but years later I don't mind it. It still pales in comparison to the first 5 releases IMO but it's not near as bad when you take into consideration what has come since.

Warrant stuck a knife in my heart when they released Belly II Belly. I was such a huge fan and so looking forward to that album, even with the warning signs evident on Ultraphobic, and then the delays and finally it came out and I rushed down to the store and picked it up the first day it came in and I played it and...

...man I fucking hate Nirvana.

Being a HUGE Dangerous Toys and Shotgun Messiah fan back in the day I was really sort of ticked when "The R-tist 4-merly Known As Dangerous Toys" and "Violent New Breed" came out with that industrial metal sound.

Some of the songs on the DT release grew on me a little....I said a little, not much....a little. The only tune on Violent New Breed that I could tolerate was Rain. For how good these guys were at what they did on their previous releases, I was disappointed to say the least.

Backed on both although I have played that SM quite a bit over the years.

The DT just threw me for a loop on first listen and I did give it multiple chances but it never really could grow on me.

The DT just threw me for a loop on first listen and I did give it multiple chances but it never really could grow on me.

Love 'Violent New Breed' , it still gets regular airplay from me.....and once again in the minority, I really liked the DT release when it came out, it was completely different from anything I'd heard before although I rarely listen to it today....

I'll probably get flayed alive for this but I have never understood all the hate for Warrant's ULTRAPHOBIC. I think that's a pretty damn solid rock record. Sure, it's no CHERRY PIE but then neither was DOG EAT DOG. I always felt ULTRA was kinda like the next logical step from the harder-edged, more serious minded material from the DOG EAT DOG album.

Now, BELLY II BELLY on the other hand, that was an abomination that should never have been released upon mankind. :puke:

To me, its not so much that they "sold out", it's just that the albums mentioned just plain sucked. I know some are going to mention Def Leppard's "Slang". It is different but it is quite good. And it was a welcome change to all the shit out there, their own stuff included that sounded like "Hysteria". I never mind a band trying to change because then their sound doesn't grow stale. It's when what they release just plain sucks. That pisses me off....

Agree to this one. Most of the titles mentioned here just plain suck. And I won't call it Selling Out. What do you think they were thinking when these bands recorded their best albums, of course they're hoping that this one will be their biggest selling album. They're not doing it just to die poor.

Love 'Violent New Breed' , it still gets regular airplay from me.....and once again in the minority, I really liked the DT release when it came out, it was completely different from anything I'd heard before although I rarely listen to it today....

I thought the Dangerous Toys CD was total garbage, but not one of the worst sell-out CDs. But I kind of agree on Shotgun Messiah. I'd heard the song 'I'm a gun' in a bodyboarding video way back in the day and always thought it was a really cool song. Following their excellent 2nd album there's no doubt in the world that the album was a disappointment, but in time it's easily one of sell-out CDs that grew on me the most. Some great tunes on there.

I forgot about KISS - 'Carnival of Souls', but yeah, that's definitely one of the worst ever. Hate that disc.

I'll probably get flayed alive for this but I have never understood all the hate for Warrant's ULTRAPHOBIC. I think that's a pretty damn solid rock record. Sure, it's no CHERRY PIE but then neither was DOG EAT DOG. I always felt ULTRA was kinda like the next logical step from the harder-edged, more serious minded material from the DOG EAT DOG album.

Now, BELLY II BELLY on the other hand, that was an abomination that should never have been released upon mankind. :puke:

Ultraphobic had it's moments. It also had some not so great moments as well. But to followup such a great album as Dog Eat Dog I consider it a major letdown.

Ultraphobic had it's moments. It also had some not so great moments as well. But to followup such a great album as Dog Eat Dog I consider it a major letdown.

Yeah, backed. I grew to like 'Ultraphobic' too, over many, many years. But I agree with Rick. They were in an amazing place with 'Dog Eat Dog' and 'Ultraphobic' was a gigantic step back, by anyone's standards.

:tumbsup: Couldn't agree more...When that cd came out I was on a serious industrial kick (Godflesh, Skinny Puppy, KMFDM) so I was blown away...seemed to me like just a natural progression for this band knowing Tim Skold's influences...