Don't get it!

JamesEagle

Hope there isn't already a thread on this, I can't find one.

Have you had this experience - you buy a CD that everyone else seems to like, look forward to listening to it and then just don't 'get it' at all? Huge disappointment, you can't see what all the fuss is about and put it straight on your trade/sell list. I'm sure this must have happened to most music fans at some point.

Six examples that spring to mind for me are:

• Wildside - Under The Influence 3 decent songs and one very good one, but I still struggle to see why this is so highly rated
  • Tesla - Bust a Nut love this band's early stuff, most people seem to think this album is great, but I think it's extremely weak
  • Blue Tears - s/t lots of really good write ups, people saying they are like a cross between Def Leppard and Bon Jovi, yet I don't hear that at all, just seems really soft with very average songs
  • Seventh Key - The Raging Fire bought purely based on the rating and comments on HH, but I wish I'd heard some tracks first - very, very weak imo
  • FM - Tough It Out just awful, great vocals, but I can't hear any good songs here, I have to wonder what on earth other people hear when they play this CD?
  • White Sister - Fashion By Passion debut is probably my favourite rock album of all time, yet I can't stand the follow up

It would be interested to read what albums other people disagree with the majority about. Any others want to stick their necks out and share their examples?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you completely mad, first good words praising L**on Town and now this list. ;)

FM - awful and no good songs? :doh:

Have you had this experience - you buy a CD that everyone else seems to like, look forward to listening to it and then just don't 'get it' at all? Huge disappointment, you can't see what all the fuss is about and put it straight on your trade/sell list. I'm sure this must have happened to most music fans at some point.

• Wildside - Under The Influence 3 decent songs and one very good one, but I still struggle to see why this is so highly rated
  • Tesla - Bust a Nut love this band's early stuff, most people seem to think this album is great, but I think it's extremely weak
  • Blue Tears - s/t lots of really good write ups, people saying they are like a cross between Def Leppard and Bon Jovi, yet I don't hear that at all, just seems really soft with very average songs
  • Seventh Key - The Raging Fire bought purely based on the rating and comments on HH, but I wish I'd heard some tracks first - very, very weak imo
  • FM - Tough It Out just awful, great vocals, but I can't hear any good songs here, I have to wonder what on earth other people hear when they play this CD?
  • White Sister - Fashion By Passion debut is probably my favourite rock album of all time, yet I can't stand the follow up

It would be interested to read what albums other people disagree with the majority about. Any others want to stick their necks out and share their examples?

FM ? Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say:-

Brother Firetribe - False Metal

Blanc Faces - s/t

W.E.T. - s/t

Boy did I try to like these...and maybe the W.E.T. still has a chance!

Nickelback - any old sad bollocks this wankfest of a band bring out....just don't get them at all yet everyone seems to go ape about them, even their "harder" songs sound lame - they even DRESS like they have exclusive access to some cliched mass produced rock clothing shop. My mates wife reckons their her favourite band now, prior to that it was Bon Jovi so I kind of guess that says it all really....BUT even my missus likes them arrrghhh! Dark Horse?? More like Horse Shit!

Have seen this thread somewhere before too, but can't hurt to re-visit....

Probably my biggest let-down of all-time has been EUROPE "Start From the Dark". Even though the two albums that followed have been worse, I had read that "SFTD" was like "Prisoners In Paradise" with a Modern-edge to it and I was pretty psyched about it and couldn't wait to play it. Of course it was complete half-hearted dogshit with only a couple of songs that had noticeable choruses and Joey Tempest made a tit of himself with his useless warbling. I also had the misfortune to hear "Secret Society" and it was honestly the most tuneless album of the last decade. Shame they didn't bury the EUROPE name after "Prisoners..." and go out with a great back catalogue of music, instead of finding the simplest way to cash-in with the minimum of effort. (I'm praying this doesn't happen to GIANT too).

The ones I agree with (to a certain extent) in yr list are -

Blue Tears - I think its good, but its well over-hyped on this site. I like the guy and he seemed really genuine, but watching him perform at FF a few years back was pretty painful.

Seventh Key - First 3 songs are magnificent....the rest is borderline shit!

White Sister - a sub-standard follow up to a great debut. Lets hope their next effort (this year) is like the debut!

Cheers

I had a thread on this a few years back but can't remember for the life of me what I called it or where I put it. :unsure:

In response to the first post, Wildside's debut is a killer slab of hard rock IMO.

Nickelback - Like some others I just don't get what so great about them.

I had a thread on this a few years back but can't remember for the life of me what I called it or where I put it. :unsure:

In response to the first post, Wildside's debut is a killer slab of hard rock IMO.

Nickelback - Like some others I just don't get what so great about them.

That's where I'm at on both counts, although I really did like "All the Right Reasons". Especially Dark Horse, it's like Def Leppard all over again... Mutt took a kickass hard rock band and watered them down with studio effects, extra backing vocals and a Top 40 approach... blech... I know, one more reason to hate me!

I also really dislike old "classic" KISS, the so-called production, the overly simplistic songs and the average (barely) competency of the musicians just doesn't work for me at all... yes, yes I know, even more reason to hate me! ;)

There's quite a few for me.

One that stands out is U2 THE JOSHUA TREE. For years after it came out critics and the media raved nonstop about how brilliant it was, to me it just sounded like very mellow U2 with cheesier lyrics than usual. I never liked it, I prefer the earlier, angrier U2 stuff.

There's quite a few for me.

One that stands out is U2 THE JOSHUA TREE. For years after it came out critics and the media raved nonstop about how brilliant it was, to me it just sounded like very mellow U2 with cheesier lyrics than usual. I never liked it, I prefer the earlier, angrier U2 stuff.

Backed, the early stuff just kicked butt. :D

The ones I agree with (to a certain extent) in yr list are -

Blue Tears - I think its good, but its well over-hyped on this site. I like the guy and he seemed really genuine, but watching him perform at FF a few years back was pretty painful.

Seventh Key - First 3 songs are magnificent....the rest is borderline shit!

White Sister - a sub-standard follow up to a great debut. Lets hope their next effort (this year) is like the debut!

Cheers

Freaks. I strongly disagree with all of these, except, like Glen says, the Seventh Key and White Sister albums. Seventh Key just sucks dog balls whereas I do actually like the White Sister album a lot. Just has a real hard time matching the debut to any extent.

But Wildside, Tesla, Blue Tears and FM? Disagree 100%

As for Europe's 'Start from the dark', did anyone like that one? :lol:

As for Nickelback, all their albums including and beyond 'Silver side up' are the same. A few good songs (especially on 'All the right reasons') but seriously, is anyone really talking them up that much? They're only okay at absolute best and I rarely see anyone saying anything more than that.

And which clowns put these in the thread:

Robin Beck - Trouble or Nothin'

Storm - S/T

Bon Jovi - New Jersey

Witness - S/T

Brother Firetribe - False Metal

Blanc Faces - s/t

W.E.T. - s/t

All excellent albums, imo.

Anyway, this thread could go on for pages for me, including all the Van Halen CDs for a start. ;)

• 2023 Gold Donors
[*]Wildside - Under The Influence

The opener on there (Hang On Lucy) has some serious teeth,after that it drops off big time for me.That said i kept it around for Brent Woods guitar work,which i like.Brent Woods took instruction from both Lynch and Rhoads according to the other guitarist in that band.

Bangalore Choir - On Target

Another beloved album by many here,but again after the opener (Angel In Black) it fails to do anything for me.Max Norman should've beefed those guitars up a tad and backed off on that production a bit, never had enough balls or attitude soundwise/songwise for my taste,just my thoughts.

Another beloved album by many here,but again after the opener (Angel In Black) it fails to do anything for me.Max Norman should've beefed those guitars up a tad and backed off on that production a bit, never had enough balls or attitude soundwise/songwise for my taste,just my thoughts.

Have you heard the new Reece album? Much beefier guitars and less overall fluff while still being a good production, guy can still sing his ass off.

Three for me are: Did not actually buy these. They were given.

W.E.T. - Not a Soto fan. Every song he sings sounds the same to me.

MASTEDON - Maybe not my style. Might be too AOR for me.

STEEL PANTHER - One word describes this for me... 'LAME'.

Are you completely mad, first good words praising L**on Town and now this list. ;)

FM - awful and no good songs? :doh:

I knew that I'd be shot at by posting the list, but music is all about opinions and we're never all going to agree. Hence I thought this thread would be a laugh (not realising it had been done before).

The FM one is very odd though, I loved 'That Girl', then listened to the rest of Indiscreet and Tough It Out several times and nothing really grabbed me. It wasn't that it was too soft for my tastes, just that I didn't like the songs, the tunes weren't good imo. I'm obviously missing the point...

Have you heard the new Reece album? Much beefier guitars and less overall fluff while still being a good production, guy can still sing his ass off.

Backed on the Reece disc being very good but the Bangalore Choir is a classic IMO and one of my favs from the early 90's.

Never understood any of the love for Slaughter or the BulletBoys... any albums of theirs at all. Wretched stuff. :puke:

• 2023 Gold Donors

Ya know i agree David does have a decent set of pipes,i just never liked him in Accept.I haven't heard the Reese maybe if i get time ill sample it or whatever.

Anyway, this thread could go on for pages for me, including all the Van Hagar CDs for a start. ;)

Fixed that for ya G.