Don't get it!

JamesEagle

Just wondering James - Do you like any of the 'Scandie' Melodic rock bands, (or any bands at all for that matter ;) ) or is it just Treat? who imo, are definitely one of the best.

Bizarre, isn't it? I just don't hear what you guys do when listening to Treat, to me the songs are very simplistic and the tunes aren't very good at all.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which are the Scandi bands, but maybe I just don't like any of them.

As for what I do like, there's too much to list, but some example albums that I would say are absolute killers:

White Lion - Pride

Lillian Axe - Love & War

House of Lords - s/t

Harlan Cage - Forbidden Colors

Danger Danger - s/t

Faster Pussycat - s/t

Bonfire - Point Blank

Y&T - Contagious

Ratt - Out of The Cellar

With most recent stuff, I've found that I am more into individual songs that whole albums. There are albums by Westworld, Mark Spiro and Departure which all have one song that I find amazing, i.e. top 100 (if I had one) but I don't like the rest of the albums at all.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering James - Do you like any of the 'Scandie' Melodic rock bands, (or any bands at all for that matter ;) ) or is it just Treat? who imo, are definitely one of the best.

Bizarre, isn't it? I just don't hear what you guys do when listening to Treat, to me the songs are very simplistic and the tunes aren't very good at all.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which are the Scandi bands, but maybe I just don't like any of them.

As for what I do like, there's too much to list, but some example albums that I would say are absolute killers:

White Lion - Pride

Lillian Axe - Love & War

House of Lords - s/t

Danger Danger - s/t

Faster Pussycat - s/t

Bonfire - Point Blank

Y&T - Contagious

Ratt - Out of The Cellar

Nice list. Not a fan of Harlan Cage, but that is easily their best effort, imo. I want to start off saying I love Faster Pussycat too, but I'm amazed you can enjoy a band like Faster Pussycat but find Treat songs too simplistic and lacking good choruses? You're definitely one of a kind, mate. :lol:;)

White Lion - Pride

Lillian Axe - Love & War

House of Lords - s/t

Danger Danger - s/t

Faster Pussycat - s/t

Bonfire - Point Blank

Y&T - Contagious

Ratt - Out of The Cellar

Nice list. Not a fan of Harlan Cage, but that is easily their best effort, imo. I want to start off saying I love Faster Pussycat too, but I'm amazed you can enjoy a band like Faster Pussycat but find Treat songs too simplistic and lacking good choruses? You're definitely one of a kind, mate. :lol:;)

You're probably right. All I can say is, to these ears, 'Get You On The Run' = terrible chorus, 'Don't Change That Song' = fan-bloody-tastic chorus!!! I look a right idiot when I'm driving and that song comes on, moving my head and arms around like a loony.

:beerbang:

White Lion - Pride

Lillian Axe - Love & War

House of Lords - s/t

Danger Danger - s/t

Faster Pussycat - s/t

Bonfire - Point Blank

Y&T - Contagious

Ratt - Out of The Cellar

You're probably right. All I can say is, to these ears, 'Get You On The Run' = terrible chorus, 'Don't Change That Song' = fan-bloody-tastic chorus!!! I look a right idiot when I'm driving and that song comes on, moving my head and arms around like a loony.

:beerbang:

Yeah, cool song. Just out of curiosity, when did you first hear:

1. Faster Pussycat

2. FM

1. Faster Pussycat

2. FM

1. 1992 (ish)

2. 2009

Ah, I thought so. I think I've figured you out. :) Seems the stuff you hear now for the first time isn't getting opportunity to sink in and you're dismissing it very quickly. I'd bet my balls that if you'd give FM or Treat (for example) some time, or if you'd heard it back in 1992-ish things might be different. Of that list of your faves, are any of them CDs you've only heard recently, or have you know them all since 1992-ish?

1. Faster Pussycat

2. FM

1. 1992 (ish)

2. 2009

Ah, I thought so. I think I've figured you out. :) Seems the stuff you hear now for the first time isn't getting opportunity to sink in and you're dismissing it very quickly. I'd bet my balls that if you'd give FM or Treat (for example) some time, or if you'd heard it back in 1992-ish things might be different. Of that list of your faves, are any of them CDs you've only heard recently, or have you know them all since 1992-ish?

I had wondered that myself, but I gave Treat plenty of listens and still didn't like it. Plus the albums where I only like 1 or 2 songs I played a few times, absolutely loved those tracks, but not the others. I will try a few FM tracks again though, if nothing else just to confirm my dementia.

Here's one that seems to get plenty of positive response but I've yet to get into it. Not to say it won't happen and i'll keep trying but it just has not clicked with me.

Rox Diamond

Agreed and I'll add another diamond.......Legs Diamond....tried several of their releases and all I felt was bored....

Pretty much anything with WOOOOOOOAAAARRRRGH vocals gets no love from me.

You mean growling? I love growling. Death metal, thrash and hard rock - love it!

:banger:

You mean growling? I love growling. Death metal, thrash and hard rock - love it!

Yessir. I have tried and tried over many years but with a rare exception here and there, death metal/cookie monster vox just turn me right off.

My brother is a huge death/grindcore fan so I heard that kinda stuff all the time while we were growing up. After trying to keep an open mind for a while I eventually just gave up trying to get into it.

I do too, but I can't get into LAMB OF GOD. I think the singer sucks.. I like early Death Metal (Mobid Angel, Death, Carcass, etc,etc).

I do too, but I can't get into LAMB OF GOD. I think the singer sucks.. I like early Death Metal (Mobid Angel, Death, Carcass, etc,etc).

Quality! Agree with you there, the proper growling, a la Death and Bolt Thrower (my favourite now Chuck has passed away, RIP) is so much better than this 'deathcore' type nonsense we get now. Lamb of God have done some decent songs, but the vocals aren't great and a whole album is too much. I really hope the "missing album" of Death material gets released some day.

Having said that, I'm listening to Leatherwolf at the moment.

th_shrug.gif

I didn't get the whole "DRAGONFORCE" thing...a buddy of mine who worked at a now defunct cd store told me that they speeded up the master tapes during recording so it sounded like they could play faster than they actually could?!? :screwy:

Here's one that seems to get plenty of positive response but I've yet to get into it. Not to say it won't happen and i'll keep trying but it just has not clicked with me.

Rox Diamond

Agreed and I'll add another diamond.......Legs Diamond....tried several of their releases and all I felt was bored....

Yeah, Legs Diamond generally suck (not all the time, though) but Rox Diamond are awesome, imo.

I didn't get the whole "DRAGONFORCE" thing...a buddy of mine who worked at a now defunct cd store told me that they speeded up the master tapes during recording so it sounded like they could play faster than they actually could?!? :screwy:

Good one!! Godawful band!!!

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Helloween's WALLS OF JERICHO played at 78 speed = DragonForce. :lol:

I gave one of their CDs a bad review in my friend's zine years ago and my inbox was flooded with angry, poorly spelled hate letters from their fanboys for about a week. :rofl:

Good one!! Godawful band!!!

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Helloween's WALLS OF JERICHO played at 78 speed = DragonForce. :lol:

I gave one of their CDs a bad review in my friend's zine years ago and my inbox was flooded with angry, poorly spelled hate letters from their fanboys for about a week. :rofl:

Hey Keith, maybe the fanboys speeded up their typing like DRAGONFORCE speeded up their tapes hence the poor spelling... :lol:

Rox Diamond

Yeah, Legs Diamond generally suck (not all the time, though) but Rox Diamond are awesome, imo.

I've only heard a hanful of Legs Diamond songs and I like them all.

Rox Diamond

Yeah, they're honestly not too bad - just very average at times. The best thing they ever did was the album cover for 'Town Bad Girl'. 1260044215_107436r.jpg

Rox Diamond

Yeah, they're honestly not too bad - just very average at times. The best thing they ever did was the album cover for 'Town Bad Girl'. 1260044215_107436r.jpg

I've seen that somewhere around here before but have never owned one of their discs.

• 3 weeks later...

Got to add another one to this thread as I listened to it (several times) last week.

Petra - Beyond Belief

Lots of very positive comments on HH, but I thought it was terrible. The songwriting is really poor imo, no good tunes at all. And the Kiss rip off doesn't help either. I'm sure I'll get slated for this one, but I hate it.

:puke:

Got to add another one to this thread as I listened to it (several times) last week.

Petra - Beyond Belief

Lots of very positive comments on HH, but I thought it was terrible. The songwriting is really poor imo, no good tunes at all. And the Kiss rip off doesn't help either. I'm sure I'll get slated for this one, but I hate it.

:puke:

I'm with you there... I actually haven't found a Petra release I would even keep in my collection.