Steel Panther

Glen

What I dont understand is how this is anymore 're-hashed' than say Marcello/Vestry?

I mean that album had just about every 80's riff and lyrical cliche going and then some, yet everyone was raving about that??

OK, Party All Day is a complete rip off of Livin On A Prayer, but otherwise its only stylewise similar.....Im dying to hear the new Treat album, but I bet my house that is going to be just as re-hashed as SP.

Yep the M/V album was cliched, but so are 99% of MHR lyrics anyway. M/V go in the BFT/FarCry/Place Vendome category of updating the 80's MHR sound with modern production techniques and a crisper sound, rather than the jokey/novelty/throwaway/image-over-substance category. It's not the cliches that people are criticising, that's part of life in the MHR scene these days, it's the fact that after 15 different takes on the same joke it kinda gets old & repeat spins are cringeworthy.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I dont understand is how this is anymore 're-hashed' than say Marcello/Vestry?

I mean that album had just about every 80's riff and lyrical cliche going and then some, yet everyone was raving about that??

OK, Party All Day is a complete rip off of Livin On A Prayer, but otherwise its only stylewise similar.....Im dying to hear the new Treat album, but I bet my house that is going to be just as re-hashed as SP.

Yep the M/V album was cliched, but so are 99% of MHR lyrics anyway. M/V go in the BFT/FarCry/Place Vendome category of updating the 80's MHR sound with modern production techniques and a crisper sound, rather than the jokey/novelty/throwaway/image-over-substance category. It's not the cliches that people are criticising, that's part of life in the MHR scene these days, it's the fact that after 15 different takes on the same joke it kinda gets old & repeat spins are cringeworthy.

For me the SP production is ace.....the whole disc couldnt sound better IMO.

and your 'image - over - substance' comment is where we are going to have to agree to disagree as for me the 'substance' (ie the hooks, melodies, solos etc etc) on SP is pretty damned killer.

Cheers

and your 'image - over - substance' comment is where we are going to have to agree to disagree as for me the 'substance' (ie the hooks, melodies, solos etc etc) on SP is pretty damned killer.

Cheers

To be honest the only songs that really stuck are "Fat Girl" (killer solo) and "Community Property". I know you like "Asian Hooker", & I like the verses but the chorus just makes me cringe it's so awful. But the generic Hard Rock stuff like "Eyes of A Panther"/"Eatin'...." just bore the shit out of me. I do admit there are a few songs with decent ideas here but not enough. Not by a long way.

Cheers

I know you like "Asian Hooker", & I like the verses but the chorus just makes me cringe it's so awful.

That chorus is magnificent mate....whats wrong with you???!

Explodes in your face like a ladyboy on heat.

LOL @ Band wagon. I been into this band since the Metal Skool days and still have a SEALED Copy of Metal Skool plus the DVD they released and had on their old Metal Skool website. At that time I knew about Metal Shop but only had the mp3's (and still do anyone wanna sell a copy of Metal Shop for about 85 bucks?)

I've been following the band ever since. I even purchased the HEY! Thats what I call Sludge CD like 5 years ago because it featured "The Metal Sludge All Stars" which was Metal Skool as well.

Some ppl need to get over the fact that many of us find this band to completely kick ass.

I also agree on the Marcello/Vestry comment. Whooooooaaa ohhh Ready To Rock..........Love Injection she shot it straight into my heart........LOL is that the lyrical genius all you Steel Panther haters seek?

BTW I'm not knocking M/V as I gave it an almost perfect score in my review.....just makin a lyrical comparison.

http://www.themetalmadman.com/review/marcello.html

Just one other point. I think Fair Warning are terrible and the new CD is absolute and total shit, but dudes, if that's the way you roll, roll that way. If that is legitimately your favourite CD of the year because you'd somehow get past those awful songs and like them more than the rest of what 2009 has offered, that's your right to party. The only thing that I've found really silly (well, one of two things) about this whole argument is the people saying that this can't actually be your favourite CD of the year. I just don't get it. Where I come from, if a band writes the best songs of 2009, records the best songs of 2009 and releases the best songs of 2009 on CD... doesn't that make that the best CD of 2009?

Why are you comparing them to Fair Warning? Where did that come from? Sure FW's lyrics are awful, but I'd like to see you write a great song in German? Anyway, who is saying the new FW album is great? It's not - it's pretty horrible & I personally think the Steel Panther album is better, but I also think that a re-hashed 80's Hair Metal disc with some cool playing/singing but very few new ideas is not gonna make any Best Of list of mine.

A-fucking-Men!!! That's been on my mind since the start but it's something I always forget to include. You are exactly right. As you say, there is only one direct, obvious and intentional rip-off. But to say these guys are any less original than every other band in the scene today is total and utter bullshit. And for the record, like everyone else I adore Marcello / Vestry too. But Steel Panther have not borrowed any more than any single other MHR band still recording these days.

Just one other point. I think Fair Warning are terrible and the new CD is absolute and total shit, but dudes, if that's the way you roll, roll that way. If that is legitimately your favourite CD of the year because you'd somehow get past those awful songs and like them more than the rest of what 2009 has offered, that's your right to party. The only thing that I've found really silly (well, one of two things) about this whole argument is the people saying that this can't actually be your favourite CD of the year. I just don't get it. Where I come from, if a band writes the best songs of 2009, records the best songs of 2009 and releases the best songs of 2009 on CD... doesn't that make that the best CD of 2009?

Why are you comparing them to Fair Warning? Where did that come from? Sure FW's lyrics are awful, but I'd like to see you write a great song in German? Anyway, who is saying the new FW album is great? It's not - it's pretty horrible & I personally think the Steel Panther album is better, but I also think that a re-hashed 80's Hair Metal disc with some cool playing/singing but very few new ideas is not gonna make any Best Of list of mine.

Wow mate, you completely missed my point there. No comparisons between the two bands at all. All I was saying, that if someone (not you 'cause I know you're all onto the Killswitch Engage disc) put that FW disc at the top of their list for 2009 (insert any other 2009 release too), that'd be their choice. I just don't understand why people cannot handle the fact that there are people out there who genuinely think SP is the best CD of the year.

Just for my info, you don't like stuff like Skid Row, do you?

A-fucking-Men!!! That's been on my mind since the start but it's something I always forget to include. You are exactly right. As you say, there is only one direct, obvious and intentional rip-off. But to say these guys are any less original than every other band in the scene today is total and utter bullshit. And for the record, like everyone else I adore Marcello / Vestry too. But Steel Panther have not borrowed any more than any single other MHR band still recording these days.

Wow mate, you completely missed my point there. No comparisons between the two bands at all. All I was saying, that if someone (not you 'cause I know you're all onto the Killswitch Engage disc) put that FW disc at the top of their list for 2009 (insert any other 2009 release too), that'd be their choice. I just don't understand why people cannot handle the fact that there are people out there who genuinely think SP is the best CD of the year.

Just for my info, you don't like stuff like Skid Row, do you?

Not really mate. You know I never really liked the Hair Metal stuff much, was much more into Melodic Rock, which is partly why I like the melodic stuff (with keys) on here like "Fat Girl" rather than the more throwaway-type stuff.

Fair enough if it's your top disc. I guess it suggests this year hasn't been great? Can say the same about the fact I put KSE at the top, is hardly a classic...

Ha Ha! Steel Panther is doing a free show in, are you ready? UTAH!!! I cant wait, this metal jock that a metal station gives an hour like once a week, was playing Community Property last week at like 4am, I nearly drove into the car stopped at the light! this is gonna be if not better as good, as 2 years ago, when 2 Live Crew did a show in Provo! (those of you that arent familiar with Utah, Provo, is the only true city in Utah, that is ran and operated by momon law! and basically 90% acting hardcore mormons reside)Its home of BYU, their Pioneer League Baseball Team doesnt serve Beer at the stadium! needless to say they werent very responsive to find out 2 Live Crew had been booked there, for 2 nights even, when all was said and done, 2 Live Crew turned around after they finished the sold out show Saturday night, and gave every single penny to the family of a Provo cop that had been shot and killed in a shoot out the month before! the Mo's looked pretty foolish, so I gotta find out where Steel Panther is doing their show.

Not sure if this is the thread where I mentioned the band touring the UK, but, here are the dates anyway:

Sunday 13 September – Birmingham Academy 2

Monday 14 September – Manchester Club Academy

Tuesday 15 September – Glasgow G2

Wednesday 16 September – London Electric Ballroom

Not sure if this is the thread where I mentioned the band touring the UK, but, here are the dates anyway:

Sunday 13 September – Birmingham Academy 2

Monday 14 September – Manchester Club Academy

Tuesday 15 September – Glasgow G2

Wednesday 16 September – London Electric Ballroom

Tickets due to go on sale this Fri 9am @ www.livenation.co.uk.

The London show tickets are £13.50...plus all the normal fees no doubt.

Im there!

On a side note they will release 'Community Property' as a single on Sept 14th with a new (??) b-side song called 'I Want Pussy' :headbanger:

That made me laugh aloud about 98 times. And damn there is some fine looking women in that video!

If I think of it logically, with the amount of vagina these guys would be getting at the moment, there is no reason in the world they won't stick around for a few more albums. I hope this is the case, and if it was me it sure as hell would be! :lol:

It's late but I have finnally bought and listen to this alot. I have read all the different stuff about it in this thread.

First time I listened to the album many of the lyrics made me cry. They were just hillarious. After a while they didn't bothered me that much and I really started listen to the songs. There are some really good 80-ies hardrock songs on this baby. I like the more melodic stuff like Fat girl, party all day and hell is on fire.

It might be easier for me to not think about the lyrics that much since english is not my native language.

Steel Panther ticket booked for London date...fuck yeah!

Gotta love having access to presale tickets two days before they go on sale to general public!

Ordered too. cant wait! :guitbannana:

That could be the greatest video ever made.

Backed.

Backed x2

Got my copy today... Holy Cow, this stuff bring me back in the late 80's ! This is hillarious ok, but the music is a killer ! wow ! Awesome CD

It might be easier for me to not think about the lyrics that much since english is not my native language.

Same for me. And maybe (probably ?) it's even better.

Nice, Chris! Real nice. I didn't expect to see you on board here, but glad to see it mate. ;)

Backed.

Backed x2

Backed x 3......blow job-tastic.

Seriously tho, that song is pure genius.

Backed.

Backed x2

Amazing song. The harmony vocals at the end are just perfect.

Backed.

Backed x2

Amazing song. The harmony vocals at the end are just perfect.

& the solo. :bowdown: