Steel Panther

Glen

They were fucking awesome.

Funny as fuck, and rocked like maniacs.

Satchel does an awesome guitar solo, where he plays some old stuff by the likes of Maiden, Metallica, Yngwie, Halen, Purple and GNR etc, where he actually plays both the guitar and drums at the same time, which was pretty amazing.

They brought out that gimp Justin Hawkins to do Party all day and a cover of I believe in a thing called love (with his broken leg).

They did every song off FTS except Hells on fire and Eatin aint cheatin. (sadly no Big boobs again).

When they came back for an encore they did two covers, Kickstart my heart and Panama.

The gig itself was in a university or something like that, and when it was originally booked it was for a hall that only held 100 people, but after the tickets sold out within an hour, they moved it to a bigger hall and put more tickets up for sale (800 in total), and it still sold out.

I seriously hope for everyones sake that they start doing a world wide tour now they are on a big label.

This gig was a lucky one as they only did it cause they were playing the Download festival.

They did mention coming back, but wasnt 100% sure if that was just a joke the way they said it.

yep, theyre coming back!!! i know because theres a competition open to UK guitarists where you can put your own solo onto Death To All But Metal (hence the Solo-less version on itunes) and the winner gets to perform the solo at their "soon to be announced" London show :tumbsup:

and has anyone heard the LA Guns EP with Ralph Saenz on vocals? i was listening to it earlier, its actualy pretty decent IMO :tumbsup:

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The show sounds awesome... as I said, really hope they make their way over here at some point. If those sales keep up maybe we're a chance?

They were fucking awesome.

Funny as fuck, and rocked like maniacs.

Satchel does an awesome guitar solo, where he plays some old stuff by the likes of Maiden, Metallica, Yngwie, Halen, Purple and GNR etc, where he actually plays both the guitar and drums at the same time, which was pretty amazing.

They brought out that gimp Justin Hawkins to do Party all day and a cover of I believe in a thing called love (with his broken leg).

They did every song off FTS except Hells on fire and Eatin aint cheatin. (sadly no Big boobs again).

When they came back for an encore they did two covers, Kickstart my heart and Panama.

The gig itself was in a university or something like that, and when it was originally booked it was for a hall that only held 100 people, but after the tickets sold out within an hour, they moved it to a bigger hall and put more tickets up for sale (800 in total), and it still sold out.

I seriously hope for everyones sake that they start doing a world wide tour now they are on a big label.

This gig was a lucky one as they only did it cause they were playing the Download festival.

They did mention coming back, but wasnt 100% sure if that was just a joke the way they said it.

yep, theyre coming back!!! i know because theres a competition open to UK guitarists where you can put your own solo onto Death To All But Metal (hence the Solo-less version on itunes) and the winner gets to perform the solo at their "soon to be announced" London show :tumbsup:

and has anyone heard the LA Guns EP with Ralph Saenz on vocals? i was listening to it earlier, its actualy pretty decent IMO :tumbsup:

I actually owned the Wasted EP long before I ever got into Metal Shop as I always buy the LA Guns stuff as soon as it comes out (think that one was 1997 or 1998 off the top of my head).

And yes, I like it.

Ralph is a top notch singer, and is probably more versatile than a lot of guys who made it big.

I hope this is his time to shine.

Maybe if this album is a success, they might end up going the Fozzy route and become a serious band, albeit still with tongue planted firmly in cheek, but with the lyrics toned down.

The show sounds awesome... as I said, really hope they make their way over here at some point. If those sales keep up maybe we're a chance?

It was awesome, and they were tighter than a ducks arse.

Obviously a lot of the banter is "scripted" as I have seen some of it on youtube at other shows, but there was definetly some off the cuff stuff that was just as funny.

One particular one was when they were about to do Stripper girl.

Satchels guitar was out of tune.

Now that may have been scripted, I dunno, but Michael made some comment about it just before he started singing the song, to which Satchel replied "Your voice is always out of tune".

Michael actually started laughing mid verse, flipped Satchel and called him a dick (or something like that).

Satchel blatantly ad libbed the line, and it caught Michael unaware.

Lexxxi was his usual self, which makes him a constant highlight for me, and once again managed to shout the word Vagina out.

For anyone in Australia you can get this CD from cdwow.com.au for $18.95 delivered. I got mine... takes a few days as I think it comes from overseas.

I am also looking to sell my Metal Shop - Hole Patrol CD on ebay. Would've probably sold it through here but I am a new member and am guessing there would be trust issues etc. Will put up the link when it's on ebay.

Full UK tour is being mapped out for September ...

great news! since they're still a new band im sure itll be clubs and stuff where the tickets are reasonably priced and you can get right up to the stage (and meet the band after the show?) hoping they play Milton Keynes or Northampton would be even better :tumbsup:

Full UK tour is being mapped out for September ...

great news! since they're still a new band im sure itll be clubs and stuff where the tickets are reasonably priced and you can get right up to the stage (and meet the band after the show?) hoping they play Milton Keynes or Northampton would be even better :tumbsup:

Actually I reckon it will be bigger venues.

Maybe not Hammersmith big, but Brixton Academy sized at the least.

This show they did on Tues was originally booked for a 100 capacity hall, but after the tickets sold out straight away, they shifted it to a 800 capacity hall and put more tickets on sale.

They didnt even do a meet and great at this show, so dont expect any at future shows.

They may be a new band, but they are signed to a big label.

Oh, and since when are they a new band?

heh heh, theyre new to the UK touring wise :P

theyve only done 2 gigs here!

and true about the label thing, i dont know if LA Guns were still signed to a Major label when i met them, same for Love/Hate for that matter :/

guess ill have to awit 20 years till theyre on Deadline! :P

Musically this is excellent, but I think the Joke will wear very thin, very quickly. I was even predicting the next line to some of the songs before hand.

Now owning this I can say that I agree with you 110%.

It's a shame because the music just fucking smokes! But listening to it for the second time today, I was actually glad when the CD was over and my player switched to the next disc (which happened to be the new Primal Fear :banger: ).

Anywho, I guess it depends what your tastes are and usually I'm not big into lyrics, but these were kind of funny once and then got really stale, really quick. As Jez said, just a bit too predictable.

Musically this is excellent, but I think the Joke will wear very thin, very quickly. I was even predicting the next line to some of the songs before hand.

It's a shame because the music just fucking smokes! But listening to it for the second time today, I was actually glad when the CD was over and my player switched to the next disc (which happened to be the new Primal Fear :banger: ).

Anywho, I guess it depends what your tastes are and usually I'm not big into lyrics, but these were kind of funny once and then got really stale, really quick. As Jez said, just a bit too predictable.

I see what you guys are saying and I agree it will get old with the lyrics but right now I'm still laughing.

It'd bee nice if these guys would record an album with non goofy lyrics under a different band name.

It'd bee nice if these guys would record an album with non goofy lyrics under a different band name.

Exactly what I was thinking when I first heard the album. They are getting lots of attention at the moment and are being called everything from a Joke, a Parody, a Comedy HM band, you name it. A Fair few people will get bored of the lyrics pretty quickly I reckon, and I think they would be so much better and have much longer lasting appeal if they really toned it down next time - alot more people will appreciate them and they will last alot longer, although obviously this will go against what they are trying to do I suppose. At the moment - 2 albums tops in my opinion.

Oh, and since when are they a new band?

heh heh, theyre new to the UK touring wise :P

theyve only done 2 gigs here!

and true about the label thing, i dont know if LA Guns were still signed to a Major label when i met them, same for Love/Hate for that matter :/

guess ill have to awit 20 years till theyre on Deadline! :P

Well you woulda been 4 or 5 when LA Guns released their last big label album, and probably 1 or 2 when Love/Hate was on a big label.

Exactly what I was thinking when I first heard the album. They are getting lots of attention at the moment and are being called everything from a Joke, a Parody, a Comedy HM band, you name it. A Fair few people will get bored of the lyrics pretty quickly I reckon, and I think they would be so much better and have much longer lasting appeal if they really toned it down next time - alot more people will appreciate them and they will last alot longer, although obviously this will go against what they are trying to do I suppose. At the moment - 2 albums tops in my opinion.

Sorry guys, I know I said it above but I just so, 200% + disagree with you guys here. It is honestly not in my mind capacity to understand why these lyrics should/would have less longevity than any other lyrics.

For example, what's a song we all love? Let's say, for the sake of this argument we all dig 'Fighter' by Kane Roberts. Just a completely random selection, but pick any song in the world and I'll argue this case. What is it about the lyrics in 'Fighter' by Kane Roberts that makes that song timeless and a song like 'Fat Girl', 'Asian Hooker' or 'Community property' not? Just because the lyrics are funny? Why don't we get sick of Johnny's story about being a fighter and giving it all you got and never giving up? To me that's a lot more tiring lyrically, but it's a stunning song and I'll love it to the day I die. 'Cause I just like good songs. And good songs aren't just good temporarily. We've alll admitted this album kicks absolute f*cking ass, so why won't it next year or ten years from now??? Sounds like pop music mentality to me. ;)

Sorry guys, I just don't get it. Fate wrote funny songs - love them as much as the day I first heard them.

To each their own, but to me every CD I am hearing at the moment is paling in comparison to this and I am always hungry to put it back in my CD player. I have NO issue whatsoever with the lyrics and I, for one it seems, would be disappointed if they toned it down for future releases.

I just don't understand why they have to sound like everyone else to have longevity...

Funny lyrics do not tire with age in my opinion.

Yes, you might not laugh at them as much after a few years have gone by, but if something is funny its funny.

I personally still love listening to old Weird Al stuff, and have never tired of it.

The Metal Shop stuff constantly makes me smile.

Rodney Carrington never fails to make me laugh.

And lets face it, when you watch a comedy movie, you dont tire of those do you?

Yes you have seen the jokes time and time again, and maybe they arent as funny to you now as they once were, but you cant honestly tell me that Life of Brian, Ghostbusters, Laurel & Hardy, Blues Brothers, Animal House, Airplane or whatever comedy film you like, is not funny anymore.

If the music on this CD was subpar, then I could understand the feeling that you will tire of it, but as it is quality music and is genuinly funny, then I dont see why anyone would tire of it.

The only way I can see anyone tiring of it is if they dont find the lyrics that funny to start with.

If you find it hilarious, and I do, then its never gonna grow old!

And lets face it, when you watch a comedy movie, you dont tire of those do you?

Yeah, that was the other example I was thinking of. We all have our favourite movies and TV shows that we might buy box sets or DVDs of... and we don't get sick of them. I just don't get why this CD seems to be the sole exception some people are making it out to be.

As we have all said many times, it's the songs that matter. And there is no disputing the fact that these guys have recorded a disc FULL of killer songs.

Sorry guys, I know I said it above but I just so, 200% + disagree with you guys here. It is honestly not in my mind capacity to understand why these lyrics should/would have less longevity than any other lyrics.

For example, what's a song we all love? Let's say, for the sake of this argument we all dig 'Fighter' by Kane Roberts. Just a completely random selection, but pick any song in the world and I'll argue this case. What is it about the lyrics in 'Fighter' by Kane Roberts that makes that song timeless and a song like 'Fat Girl', 'Asian Hooker' or 'Community property' not? Just because the lyrics are funny? Why don't we get sick of Johnny's story about being a fighter and giving it all you got and never giving up? To me that's a lot more tiring lyrically, but it's a stunning song and I'll love it to the day I die. 'Cause I just like good songs. And good songs aren't just good temporarily. We've alll admitted this album kicks absolute f*cking ass, so why won't it next year or ten years from now??? Sounds like pop music mentality to me. ;)

Sorry guys, I just don't get it. Fate wrote funny songs - love them as much as the day I first heard them.

To each their own, but to me every CD I am hearing at the moment is paling in comparison to this and I am always hungry to put it back in my CD player. I have NO issue whatsoever with the lyrics and I, for one it seems, would be disappointed if they toned it down for future releases.

I just don't understand why they have to sound like everyone else to have longevity...

I have to agree with Geoff here! :anon:

I quite honestly love the f*ck out of this disc and I don't think I'll get tired of it or the silly lyrics. It is what it is..... a masterpiece!!

:beerbang:

I agree with those who think this is a novelty/parody act. All these type of bands get decent hype and should get kudos for trying to do something different, but frankly if I wanted some comedy I'd probably just put the radio on. I'm a music lover, and I love nothing more than putting on some killer music for my daily train ride or drive to work. I don't want comedy, I don't want smug one-liners, I don't want jokey/tired cliches, I want killer music. Which is why I raise a grin when the Steel Panther video comes on MTV, and I wouldn't switch it off, but I won't be spending my hard-earned money on this CD as I would play it once and then let it gather dust on the shelf....

By the way, if you're in the UK and looking to buy this - go here.... £5.99 including postage....

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/-/16/40/-/956...earchtype=genre

I have to agree with Geoff here! :anon:

I quite honestly love the f*ck out of this disc and I don't think I'll get tired of it or the silly lyrics. It is what it is..... a masterpiece!!

:beerbang:

Good it is, a masterpiece it certainly isn't mate!!

Yep, I ordered mine early from Amazon.uk and it added up to au$17.95, which is absolutely awesome for a new release. Factor into the equation the rising AUD and it's probably about au$15 at the moment! Best money you'll ever spend. Absolutely LOVING this disc.

As Wes says, 'Asian Hooker' is awesome. That riff is head flattening and the chorus is killer... the whole song is. The whole album is! Seriously, love every song. 'Community property', 'Asian Hooker' and 'Girl from Oklahoma' are probably my favourite of the new songs... but there is no doubting how strong the Metal Shop songs are - 'Fat Girl', 'Stripper Girl' and 'Hell's on Fire'... and of course, another older track - 'Death to all but metal' which absolutely shines here. Is there a better way to start an album than 'Fuck the Goo Goo Dolls, they can suck my balls"? :lol: Brilliant.

As I mentioned above, 'Girl from Oklahoma' is one of the best and funniest. Just listening to him sing this sincere little beautiful acoustic ditty; 'Come on pretty baby suck my balls all night'... man, couldn't get it out my head all weekend. :lol: That one and 'Turn out the lights' I think made me laugh aloud the most, but they all get at least a laugh or two. And as Jez says, no denying this is a truly monster hard rock album - funny lyrics or not. The million dollar production job and the quality of music just makes you wonder how happy we'd all be if every band we liked was still on a major label. Amazing stuff. Top 5 finisher for 2009 without a doubt.

My one minor saddity is that they didn't squeeze on 'Big Boobs' as the 13th track. That's one of my faves of the Metal Shop songs and I would have LOVED to see it on this one too.

Yeah Big Boobs was a glaring omission, especially considering it was my fave Metal Shop song, and even one of my friends who I turned onto the band last year, has commented on that song being missing.

I was listening to the CD again the other night, and was specifically trying to work out who each song was parodying.

A couple were obvious, some I think I have worked out but some I got stuck on.

This is what I went with:

Party all day - Most blatant one imo, Livin on a prayer by Jovi

If I was BJ i'd sue.

Taken the music and changed the lyrics.

Yep, I ordered mine early from Amazon.uk and it added up to au$17.95, which is absolutely awesome for a new release. Factor into the equation the rising AUD and it's probably about au$15 at the moment! Best money you'll ever spend. Absolutely LOVING this disc.

As Wes says, 'Asian Hooker' is awesome. That riff is head flattening and the chorus is killer... the whole song is. The whole album is! Seriously, love every song. 'Community property', 'Asian Hooker' and 'Girl from Oklahoma' are probably my favourite of the new songs... but there is no doubting how strong the Metal Shop songs are - 'Fat Girl', 'Stripper Girl' and 'Hell's on Fire'... and of course, another older track - 'Death to all but metal' which absolutely shines here. Is there a better way to start an album than 'Fuck the Goo Goo Dolls, they can suck my balls"? :lol: Brilliant.

As I mentioned above, 'Girl from Oklahoma' is one of the best and funniest. Just listening to him sing this sincere little beautiful acoustic ditty; 'Come on pretty baby suck my balls all night'... man, couldn't get it out my head all weekend. :lol: That one and 'Turn out the lights' I think made me laugh aloud the most, but they all get at least a laugh or two. And as Jez says, no denying this is a truly monster hard rock album - funny lyrics or not. The million dollar production job and the quality of music just makes you wonder how happy we'd all be if every band we liked was still on a major label. Amazing stuff. Top 5 finisher for 2009 without a doubt.

My one minor saddity is that they didn't squeeze on 'Big Boobs' as the 13th track. That's one of my faves of the Metal Shop songs and I would have LOVED to see it on this one too.

Yeah Big Boobs was a glaring omission, especially considering it was my fave Metal Shop song, and even one of my friends who I turned onto the band last year, has commented on that song being missing.

I was listening to the CD again the other night, and was specifically trying to work out who each song was parodying.

A couple were obvious, some I think I have worked out but some I got stuck on.

This is what I went with:

Party all day - Most blatant one imo, Livin on a prayer by Jovi

If I was BJ i'd sue.

Taken the music and changed the lyrics.

Being that its a parody, I am sure Island took necessary precautions to ensure that any similarity to other songs is covered.

Just as I am sure Weird Al has never been sued.