Steel Panther

Glen

Not really into the parody thing but Spinal Tap is getting up in age so I guess someone needs to take over. But I do think Steel Panther (or whatever name they are called at the time) are good musicians who should be doing something more serious in music.

Question: If it was an annoying comedian you hated doing this music and donning a big wig and glam threads, Would you still like this music or think the guy was taking the piss at music you love and be angry?

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STEEL PANTHER kicks ass plain and simple! I dont get the lyric argument either. Like the old hair band lyrics are all that thought provoking and intelligent. Oh yea "Lets get naughty naughty" LOL much better.

The band simply kicks ass, and has fun doing it. What a gig to have! Even better is this is not only top notch musicianship but the production is stellar!

I just laugh how a band that is looking to have fun, and do something wild is getting met with a bunch of criticism from the supposed HARD ROCK/HAIR BAND fan crowd.

Go listen to some emo shit if ya wanna be a downer.

DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!

Musically this is excellent, but I think the Joke will wear very thin, very quickly. I was even predicting the next line to some of the songs before hand.

Now owning this I can say that I agree with you 110%.

It's a shame because the music just fucking smokes! But listening to it for the second time today, I was actually glad when the CD was over and my player switched to the next disc (which happened to be the new Primal Fear :banger: ).

Anywho, I guess it depends what your tastes are and usually I'm not big into lyrics, but these were kind of funny once and then got really stale, really quick. As Jez said, just a bit too predictable.

It'd bee nice if these guys would record an album with non goofy lyrics under a different band name.

Exactly what I was thinking when I first heard the album. They are getting lots of attention at the moment and are being called everything from a Joke, a Parody, a Comedy HM band, you name it. A Fair few people will get bored of the lyrics pretty quickly I reckon, and I think they would be so much better and have much longer lasting appeal if they really toned it down next time - alot more people will appreciate them and they will last alot longer, although obviously this will go against what they are trying to do I suppose. At the moment - 2 albums tops in my opinion.

Sorry guys, I know I said it above but I just so, 200% + disagree with you guys here. It is honestly not in my mind capacity to understand why these lyrics should/would have less longevity than any other lyrics.

For example, what's a song we all love? Let's say, for the sake of this argument we all dig 'Fighter' by Kane Roberts. Just a completely random selection, but pick any song in the world and I'll argue this case. What is it about the lyrics in 'Fighter' by Kane Roberts that makes that song timeless and a song like 'Fat Girl', 'Asian Hooker' or 'Community property' not? Just because the lyrics are funny? Why don't we get sick of Johnny's story about being a fighter and giving it all you got and never giving up? To me that's a lot more tiring lyrically, but it's a stunning song and I'll love it to the day I die. 'Cause I just like good songs. And good songs aren't just good temporarily. We've alll admitted this album kicks absolute f*cking ass, so why won't it next year or ten years from now??? Sounds like pop music mentality to me. ;)

Sorry guys, I just don't get it. Fate wrote funny songs - love them as much as the day I first heard them.

To each their own, but to me every CD I am hearing at the moment is paling in comparison to this and I am always hungry to put it back in my CD player. I have NO issue whatsoever with the lyrics and I, for one it seems, would be disappointed if they toned it down for future releases.

I just don't understand why they have to sound like everyone else to have longevity...

:bowdown:

STEEL PANTHER kicks ass plain and simple! I dont get the lyric argument either. Like the old hair band lyrics are all that thought provoking and intelligent. Oh yea "Lets get naughty naughty" LOL much better.

The band simply kicks ass, and has fun doing it. What a gig to have! Even better is this is not only top notch musicianship but the production is stellar!

I just laugh how a band that is looking to have fun, and do something wild is getting met with a bunch of criticism from the supposed HARD ROCK/HAIR BAND fan crowd.

DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!

I don't think anyone actually dislikes this, I certainly don't. They're good players and it's definitely fun & amusing stuff - it's just that with only humour/smutty jokes instead of killer hooks then this is not a keeper disc IMO, just a one-spin only....

I don't think anyone actually dislikes this, I certainly don't. They're good players and it's definitely fun & amusing stuff - it's just that with only humour/smutty jokes instead of killer hooks then this is not a keeper disc IMO, just a one-spin only....

Thats where we disagree. IMO this has killer hooks all over the place. Again I don't see how the lyrics takes away from the MELODY or "HOOK".

Cant wait to see these guys next week in Boston!

Thats where we disagree. IMO this has killer hooks all over the place. Again I don't see how the lyrics takes away from the MELODY or "HOOK".

Exactly.

I'll agree with this statement the most. Just listening to the samples on their webpages was enough for me. The over-the-top-comedic-parody thing is not for me. The music is excellent as the vocals, but lyrics are a turn off for me. There is a big difference between KISS sex orientated songs and inuendos than STEEL PANTHER. I'll listen to KISS but not STEEL PANTHER.

But that is just my opinion and I won't be jumping on the bandwagon on this one. Everyone else, Enjoy the CD. :headbanger:

I'll listen to KISS but not STEEL PANTHER.

Yea songs like "Lets Put The X In Sex", "Lick It Up", and "Uh All Night". High caliber lyrics right there haha.

Question: If it was an annoying comedian you hated doing this music and donning a big wig and glam threads, Would you still like this music or think the guy was taking the piss at music you love and be angry?

I could give a flying fuck if Bozo The Clown was the band. If it kicks ass I could careless.

I cant stand Dane Cook's comedy routine but if he could put out a parody album of this caliber and musicianship with the same top notch production I'd be all over it. Good music is good music.

There is a big difference between KISS sex orientated songs and inuendos than STEEL PANTHER.

Not really.

In fact I'd say that the tackyness of some of Kiss' lyrics is worse than the purposely over the top lyrics of Steel Panther, and are exactly the type of lyrics that Panther are parodying.

I like Kiss, and like songs like Lets put the x in sex, but quite frankly the lyrics on that are cringe worthy.

DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!

Wow mate, you know I'd have your child but just how much of this have you actually heard? No hooks? Then I guess Bon Jovi, Danger Danger and the entire 80's hard rock scene had no hooks either? Mate, this is as hooky as music possibly gets. I have had not only one, but literally every single song off this in my head from the time I first heard it. I dare you to listen to 'Girl from Oklahoma' and not be singing "Come on pretty baby suck my balls all night" all weekend!

I get the impression you may not have heard this but think it's some Spinal Tap / Bad News / Fozzy / The Darkness garbage. This is NOTHING like any of those, mate. This is high caliber "commercial" hard rock n' roll, just with "adventurous" lyrics. Seriously, for that price pick it up and I have a genuine feeling you might be pleasantly surprised.

DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!

:agree:

Exactly where I'm at.

FYI, I don't listen to KISS either. I also didn't listen to my Spinal Tap disc after I heard it a few times. It's comedy, to me it's like watching the same movie or reading the same book over and over. For me it doesn't qualify as music for that reason. Not that it's bad, in fact the playing and production are better than a lot of other stuff out there, but there ya go. If you like it, listen to it... I certainly don't have a problem with it or anyone that likes it, just not my cup of tea.

DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!

Wow mate, you know I'd have your child but just how much of this have you actually heard? No hooks? Then I guess Bon Jovi, Danger Danger and the entire 80's hard rock scene had no hooks either? Mate, this is as hooky as music possibly gets. I have had not only one, but literally every single song off this in my head from the time I first heard it. I dare you to listen to 'Girl from Oklahoma' and not be singing "Come on pretty baby suck my balls all night" all weekend!

I get the impression you may not have heard this but think it's some Spinal Tap / Bad News / Fozzy / The Darkness garbage. This is NOTHING like any of those, mate. This is high caliber "commercial" hard rock n' roll, just with "adventurous" lyrics. Seriously, for that price pick it up and I have a genuine feeling you might be pleasantly surprised.

I have heard this right throughout mate, and I agree the music is cool 80's MHR stuff. Some of the music is killer - "Fat Girl" would be a stunning song, so would "Community Property" - but it's just so frustrating they didn't write decent/memorable lyrics to this stuff. Yeah yeah, I know stuff like DD's "Monkey Business" isn't going to win any literary awards, but at least that stuff still has some longevity & doesn't make you cringe after a couple of spins. I've seen 15 years olds spraying funnier graffiti than some of these lyrics...

My overall feeling after listening to this is one of frustration - that they didn't spend as much time on the lyrics as they did the music - rather than anything else, but respect to them for some awesome music...

DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!

I have heard this right throughout mate, and I agree the music is cool 80's MHR stuff. Some of the music is killer - "Fat Girl" would be a stunning song, so would "Community Property" - but it's just so frustrating they didn't write decent/memorable lyrics to this stuff. Yeah yeah, I know stuff like DD's "Monkey Business" isn't going to win any literary awards, but at least that stuff still has some longevity & doesn't make you cringe after a couple of spins. I've seen 15 years olds spraying funnier graffiti than some of these lyrics...

My overall feeling after listening to this is one of frustration - that they didn't spend as much time on the lyrics as they did the music - rather than anything else, but respect to them for some awesome music...

Yeah but they did spend a lot of time on the lyrics - it is exactly how they intended the album to be.

Either you like this stuff or you dont. Simple as that.

Im on the fence...some tracks I think are killer like Asian Hooker and I dont really mind the lyrics.....others not so.

I think we all agree that they are awesome musicians tho.

Saying that they didnt spend time on the lyrics is just plain silly.

It takes far more skill and talent to write genuinly funny parody lyrics than it does to write a good percent of cheesy 80s lyrics.

I mean, how long did it take to write "Lick it up, lick it up, its only right now" and then repeat that line over and over again?

Or "Slide it in, right to the top, Slide it in, I aint never gonna stop..slide it in, slide it in, slide it in!"?

It takes far more skill and talent to write genuinly funny parody lyrics than it does to write a good percent of cheesy 80s lyrics.

I mean, how long did it take to write "Lick it up, lick it up, its only right now" and then repeat that line over and over again?

Or "Slide it in, right to the top, Slide it in, I aint never gonna stop..slide it in, slide it in, slide it in!"?

Well to answer your question - it probably took 2 minutes. And that's because they're shit lyrics. Same as the Steel Panther ones. There is no skill here that a 13 year old having watched the first couple of "American Pie" films couldn't replicate, and it takes far more skill to write a song with some meaning/longevity outside of giving a handful of teenage kids a giggle. But my point is that it's a complete waste when clearly so much time has gone into the musicianship (some of the solos are awesome especially) that they couldn't have taken the serious musicians path instead of just being a joke band.

I prefer KISS lyrics. :kiss: Plus, sung at the appropriate time of a bar night, they might possibly get someone laid. The only thing Steel Panther lyrics will get you is a bruised face at the hands of a girl slap and a wank at home alone while listening to Weird Al or Steel Panther music.

No misfortune wished on Steel Panther but at the same time, there are top-notch serious bands out there at the moment that should be getting more exposure than this comedy band.

As Blue Charvel said previously, "Just Not My Cup Of Tea" also. Now off to relax and listen to those life-changing awe-inspiring KISS songs and lyrics.

Well to answer your question - it probably took 2 minutes. And that's because they're shit lyrics. Same as the Steel Panther ones. There is no skill here that a 13 year old having watched the first couple of "American Pie" films couldn't replicate, and it takes far more skill to write a song with some meaning/longevity outside of giving a handful of teenage kids a giggle. But my point is that it's a complete waste when clearly so much time has gone into the musicianship (some of the solos are awesome especially) that they couldn't have taken the serious musicians path instead of just being a joke band.

And I whole heartedly disagree.

The lyrics while smutty, well thought out and carefully constructed.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

If you think its a total waste, I am sure that the record sales and tickets they regularly sell to punters clamouring to see them would say the opposite.

And I whole heartedly disagree.

The lyrics while smutty, well thought out and carefully constructed.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

If you think its a total waste, I am sure that the record sales and tickets they regularly sell to punters clamouring to see them would say the opposite.

Hey look, I don't dislike this at all. It's pretty funny stuff & awesome production/playing. It's just that it has no longevity IMO. I'm also not surprised they're selling records when you can get their CD for £5.99! However the true test is whether they make a 2nd and 3rd album, & whether they can keep the lyrical content fresh.

Btw, I saw them live at Download and they were pretty damn good - but they didn't exactly have one of the biggest crowds of the day...