Steel Panther

Glen

The only reason this "debate" has gone on so long is that people constantly feel the need to keep telling people they are wrong or nuts to like this or think its actually a great album.

I am sure an thread about Place Vendome or Jaded Heart would go on just as long if people who didnt like them felt the constant need to keep saying people are mad for liking it.

Dont blame the people who like Steel Panther for defending it, if people consistantly feel the need to tell them that they are wrong for liking it, or think its a truly awesome album.

Yes, the bulk of it is meant in jest, but dont post those jokes if you dont want people to defend themselves....simple!

nice.

Very nice. Obviously people blame me for dragging this on, but all I've ever said on the subject is in reply to clowns.

But yeah, I'm more than happy to see it end too. :)

I must admit, before this CD came along I've never seen people on this board actually tell other members that a CD is not worthy of topping their favourite CD of the year list. That one's new to me, but fair enough. I guess clowns are clowns for a reason. ;)

Anyway, to the fans - do you guys still find yourself finding new hilarities everytime you put this on? Obviously the hardcore smut lyrics are the instant bringers of laughter, but the subtleties are just as hilarious, imo. The 'meow's in 'Eyes of a panther' crack me up and I have no idea why. Just perfectly placed and delivered. The opening over-the-top guitar in 'Hell's on fire' even makes me laugh, and I'm not sure that's an intentional piss-take or not - and the scambled eggs lyric - lol. 'The shocker' is my least favourite track, but his vocal delivery is just so awesome - like he's really got this awesome news to share with the world. In fact, regardless of what he's saying or not, Starr's vocal delivery is as spot-on as I've heard. His actual voice, his delivery and authentic-sounding sincerity in his voice is just perfect.

Anyway, that's me. Just f*cking love this thing. As far as I'm concerned, only Danger Danger or Treat have any hope of knocking this off the top spot for 2009.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Geoff, i just noticed a line in Girl From Oklahoma that i didnt hear before:

"I wanna thank you for the loving

That you spread over me

I'll be singing about you

On the next CD"

didnt notice this whole section till now :P never really paid much attention to the acoustic tracks :anon:

Yeah Geoff, i just noticed a line in Girl From Oklahoma that i didnt hear before:

That you spread over me

On the next CD"

didnt notice this whole section till now :P never really paid much attention to the acoustic tracks :anon:

My favourite part on that song has always been the 'Michael Starr, you motherfucker' part. Or:

"your mama's in the parking lot

Looking for you

She's gonna find you when I'm done

All covered with goo

Oooh, mama's little girl got all sticky "

Best acoustic ballad I've ever heard, bar none.

That you spread over me

On the next CD"

My favourite part on that song has always been the 'Michael Starr, you motherfucker' part. Or:

Looking for you

All covered with goo

i did notice that line :P

just that everytime i hear that song i tend to be reading something so my mind wanders :s

i think i prefer Community Property tbh

"I wanna make it clear, so youll retain it

My dicks a free spirit, and ya cant restraint it!"

i LOVE that line :P

only thing about this album is that all the songs remind me of other bands, i just cant place which ones....like the pre-chorus on The Shocker, sounds like a dead ringer for one of those MHR bands we all love, just cant think of which one :anon:

one of them reminds me of Every Rose Has Its Thorn, i think its Stripper Girl :s

but tbh, i thinkt heres alot of people jumping on the ole bandwagon here, its amazing how one person said ti got old real quick and everyone else joined them....i think theres only about 4 of us who stil like this album! yet when it first came out most of us loved it :P

My fave lyrics on the album are in "Turn Out the Lights"

..."Turn out the lights before I take the ride

You don't seem to have a good side

Whip out the condom and the Astro-Glide

Turn out the lights, turn out the lights

...I think I'm gonna hurl

Jesus Christ, I hope you're a girl!"

:rofl2:

Yeah, I was laughing my balls off when I first heard 'Turn out the lights'. Pretty much every part of that song makes me laugh aloud. And the fact that they mix the chorus up everytime with a new line makes it even more majestic.

As for the line in 'Community property' about his dick being a free spirit that you can not restrain, I know of no better lyrics than that. Ever. Priceless.

My fave lyrics on the album are in "Turn Out the Lights"

..."Turn out the lights before I take the ride

You don't seem to have a good side

Whip out the condom and the Astro-Glide

Turn out the lights, turn out the lights

...I think I'm gonna hurl

Jesus Christ, I hope you're a girl!"

:rofl2:

Atleast a guy can exercise, if he gets too fat

But i got news for you, your face will always look like that!

i still dont get the whole comedy lyrics vs "serious" lyrics debate.....i know a few of us on here listen to this music as an artform (and certain artists such as Butch Walker get alot of credit for their deep, emotional and artistic songwriting) but i think most of us, at the end of the day, listen to music for entertainment.....what does it matter if the song is serious or not as long as its entertaining?

if you were to go by that idea, then would you guys also say that while Schindlers List will be hailed as a classic forever, Monty Python wont?

this CD is the Monty Python to your Schindlers List, it may not have as much feeling put into it, but thats no reason it cant be a classic!

Yeah, I was laughing my balls off when I first heard 'Turn out the lights'. Pretty much every part of that song makes me laugh aloud. And the fact that they mix the chorus up everytime with a new line makes it even more majestic.

As for the line in 'Community property' about his dick being a free spirit that you can not restrain, I know of no better lyrics than that. Ever. Priceless.

Geoff have I ever lied to you? okay, don't answer that, brother, you've gotta hear Adam Sandlers song At A Medium Pace, I'll fucking send it to you, dude, I promise, if you arent laughing harder then youve laughed in a long time, I'll send you my very first shop vac! (A.k.a. my senior prom date\my first oral experience!) it's that funny

The only reason this "debate" has gone on so long is that people constantly feel the need to keep telling people they are wrong or nuts to like this or think its actually a great album.

I am sure an thread about Place Vendome or Jaded Heart would go on just as long if people who didnt like them felt the constant need to keep saying people are mad for liking it.

Dont blame the people who like Steel Panther for defending it, if people consistantly feel the need to tell them that they are wrong for liking it, or think its a truly awesome album.

Yes, the bulk of it is meant in jest, but dont post those jokes if you dont want people to defend themselves....simple!

nice.

Anyway, to the fans - do you guys still find yourself finding new hilarities everytime you put this on? Obviously the hardcore smut lyrics are the instant bringers of laughter, but the subtleties are just as hilarious, imo. The 'meow's in 'Eyes of a panther' crack me up and I have no idea why. Just perfectly placed and delivered. The opening over-the-top guitar in 'Hell's on fire' even makes me laugh, and I'm not sure that's an intentional piss-take or not - and the scambled eggs lyric - lol. 'The shocker' is my least favourite track, but his vocal delivery is just so awesome - like he's really got this awesome news to share with the world. In fact, regardless of what he's saying or not, Starr's vocal delivery is as spot-on as I've heard. His actual voice, his delivery and authentic-sounding sincerity in his voice is just perfect.

backed on all counts.

As for albums possible to top this...........D2, Treat, WET & Adelitas Way all have a good chance.

Cheers

You're dead right. I think anyone who thinks this is a "great" album or a "masterpiece" has completely lost all sense of perspective. However I'm happy to take it back in return, and if anyone thinks I'm a muppet for loving the albums I do then I'd be thoroughly disappointed if they didn't tell me in those threads too. It's kinda what these threads are for IMO.

That you spread over me

On the next CD"

Looking for you

All covered with goo

but tbh, i thinkt heres alot of people jumping on the ole bandwagon here, its amazing how one person said ti got old real quick and everyone else joined them....i think theres only about 4 of us who stil like this album! yet when it first came out most of us loved it :P

I think your damned right there matey and not in the way you first implied. Bandwagon jumping & Steel Panther - Two things that go well together and the 'Over' Hype machine will continue as long as the fan boys keep jumping on it ;) . Quite a few people here said from the offset that this is musically excellent (which I still agree it is) but it will wear thin very quickly. I was sitting in the pub with TIM (2) a month before this was released and we both said the very same thing, the same with Pete when we were talking and a few other mates aswell. Anyways - seems we were right all along hey?? ;)

So this is a 'Masterpiece or 'Classic' is it? Compared to what?. As I always say, to each their own and all that, but wake up people, there is so much better quality stuff around to get excited about than this 'Rehash'. Personally, when I want to hear this kind of stuff, I'll dig out my Whitesnake and Motley Crue collection and enjoy them a hell of a lot more than this. As someone said before, if I want comedy, I'll turn on the comedy channel, and guaranteed it will probably be alot funnier than this juvenile nonsense aswell.

That you spread over me

On the next CD"

Looking for you

All covered with goo

juvenile nonsense aswell.

Juvenile nonsense or not, the fact is that this is a disc chock full of killer melodic hard rock with better hooks than most releases this year. That is a fact few can argue with.

To be honest I cant see me ever tiring of it.

PS I'll be first in line for a ticket to their show when they London in September as well :headbanger:

That you spread over me

On the next CD"

Looking for you

All covered with goo

Juvenile nonsense or not, the fact is that this is a disc chock full of killer melodic hard rock with better hooks than most releases this year. That is a fact few can argue with.

Albeit completely un-original, completely rehashed, copied ones, that have been done a thousands of times over, by alot better bands who weren't taking the piss. Apart from that, i'll give you that one!

That you spread over me

On the next CD"

Looking for you

All covered with goo

Ignoring the lyrical debate, I don't agree with you on that either. I don't really think this is "Melodic Rock" - which I consider to be bands like Harem Scarem/Danger Danger who are serious artists (& frankly miles out of Steel Panthers league) - as it should be labelled "Hair Metal". Quality & image-wise it's more similar to SLAUGHTER/RATT/CINDERELLA discs - bands that focused on image/attitude/entertaining live shows etc, but were less worried about technical and songwriting prowess.

I actually played this right through last night and I think the first 3 tracks are all good, and "Fat Girl" is pretty damn killer, while the rest range from okay ("Party All Night"/"Girl From Oklahoma") to downright bland/generic/fucking rubbish ("The Shocker"/"Eyes of a Panther"/"Eatin' aint Cheatin'"). If I were to rate this on song quality alone & ignore the lyrical content then I'd go 7/10.

That you spread over me

On the next CD"

Looking for you

All covered with goo

I actually played this right through last night and I think the first 3 tracks are all good, and "Fat Girl" is pretty damn killer, while the rest range from okay ("Party All Night"/"Girl From Oklahoma") to downright bland/generic/fucking rubbish ("The Shocker"/"Eyes of a Panther"/"Eatin' aint Cheatin'"). If I were to rate this on song quality alone & ignore the lyrical content then I'd go 7/10.

I'll give you 'The Shocker'...that is a bit of a shocker!

But I completely disagree on 'Eyes Of A Panther' and 'Eatin Aint Cheatin' both those are great. Eyes rocks like hell, and Eatin has a great hooky chorus and a killer solo.

I'd have the first 3, plus 'Turn Out The Lights' and 'Fat Girl' in the killer list (plus 'I Want Your Tits' which i downloaded from itunes - killer song!)........Panther, Hells On Fire, Party All Night not too far behind. Then 'Stipper Girl', 'Girl From...' in the good range.

Overall I'd give it a 9/10.

However just to put 2009 into context having just examined my best of 2008 list I think SP would have been struggling to get into the top 10! Pretty much sums the year up eh??!

And my point is proven.

The only reason this thread is still dragging on is people feeling the need to say whats wrong with it.

We got it, you dont like it or feel the joke has worn thin.

Just as I am sure that you understand that some of us here like it (and as for band wagon jumping, some of us have been listening to these guys since the Metal Shop days, so how is that bandwagon jumping?)

The arguments, debate or whatever you wanna call it is just going round and round in circles.

And my point is proven.

The only reason this thread is still dragging on is people feeling the need to say whats wrong with it.

We got it, you dont like it or feel the joke has worn thin.

Just as I am sure that you understand that some of us here like it (and as for band wagon jumping, some of us have been listening to these guys since the Metal Shop days, so how is that bandwagon jumping?)

The arguments, debate or whatever you wanna call it is just going round and round in circles.

...And in return, people reply telling how awesome they think it is and people completely disagreeing with them - hence why discussions start and continue in the first place, which is all good fun and taken as light hearted (especially in this case considering the subject matter). Some (about 2 I should say) may have been listening since the Metal Shop days (I remember the discussions raving about it back then (????),when the cd sold about 3 copies - NOT), but most haven't and whatever you say, alot of people are jumping on the bandwagon with SP, which is what happens when people hype something up out of all proportion, yourself included Colin to be honest mate - check out your facebook pages ;)

Anyways, whatever side of the fence you sit on, some people think this is classic, some think it is utter shit , some like the music but hate the lyrics, it's all good fun :)

However just to put 2009 into context having just examined my best of 2008 list I think SP would have been struggling to get into the top 10! Pretty much sums the year up eh??!

Yeah it's not been great so far. As you know my faves are KSE and PLACE VENDOME, but I wouldn't say either was flawless and there ought to be 3 or 4 that beat them both by the year end...

Yeah it's not been great so far. As you know my faves are KSE and PLACE VENDOME, but I wouldn't say either was flawless and there ought to be 3 or 4 that beat them both by the year end...

there better be!

PS Im not jumping on any bandwagon......just enjoying a bunch of great fun songs :tumbsup:

Yeah, I'd actually be pretty offended if you guys are implying I'm one of these bandwagon jumpers. What, now I can't even enjoy an excellent band I genuinely love because there's a lot of hype around them?

In that case, did you The Darkness fans jump on that bandwagon too? And how's that going for you now? ;)

Just one other point. I think Fair Warning are terrible and the new CD is absolute and total shit, but dudes, if that's the way you roll, roll that way. If that is legitimately your favourite CD of the year because you'd somehow get past those awful songs and like them more than the rest of what 2009 has offered, that's your right to party. The only thing that I've found really silly (well, one of two things) about this whole argument is the people saying that this can't actually be your favourite CD of the year. I just don't get it. Where I come from, if a band writes the best songs of 2009, records the best songs of 2009 and releases the best songs of 2009 on CD... doesn't that make that the best CD of 2009?

As I said, for me, only 'The Shocker', 'Eatin' ain't cheating' and 'Fuck all night (party all day)' didn't make it onto my Ipod. That's 8 songs that did, plus 'I want your tits'. That's a higher presence than any other CD this year, so it's my favourite disc because I still love those 3 other songs too. In fact, 'Eatin' ain't cheating' is on the verge of getting on there. LOVE that riff after the solo. And who knows, if I get past fuckface Hawkins and the 'hey hey hey's then 'Fuck all night' might get there too.

The lyric debate is just stupid. I still haven't seen one example of these supposed great lyrics that Steel Panther lyrics are so poor in comparison to. Why? Because there are none. It's only rock n'roll and being rude and funny does not mean being any worse than serious and cliche.

In that case, did you The Darkness fans jump on that bandwagon too? And how's that going for you now? ;)

The difference being that no one here that liked the Darkness stuff hyped it up as the next best thing, claimed it was a masterpiece and didn't keep banging on at every second saying how brilliant they were, when they plainly weren't. They got a lot of coverage in the press etc, but never did I read anything saying they were a brilliant band, the opposite in alot of cases. Most people excepted that the Darkness were pretty limited in what they did, (although they were a damned good live band it has to be said), released a few good tunes here and there and then disappeared into nothing, exactly like these freaks will do.

The big difference between Steel Panther and The Darkness is that The Darkness genuinely sucked, no matter what way you look at it. Even you clowns have admitted that if not for your taking offence to the lyrics (;)) you'd acknowledge 'Feel the steel' as a good CD.

As I said, I'm not "banging on about this at every second" on my own accord - merely replying to people taking unjustified potshots at it.

The "hype" thing amuses me too. For my music needs I only ever visit this site and sometimes the Melodicrock.com Noticeboard. As Sambora pointed out, there are all of about 4 or 5 people here who are vocal about liking it. And I saw maybe the same amount on the Melodicrock.com Noticeboard. So my question is, where is all this hype I'm supposedly being sucked in by?

Glen posted a thread with a link (sadly I'd missed Howdy's the first time round), I loved what I heard, pre-ordered the CD and in the mean-time Howdy and Jay very kindly hooked me up with all the Metal Shop / Metal Skool tunes which blew me away. So where in that process did hype come into it? Aren't you guys who didn't really like it and knew you'd get sick of it the ones who believed the hype and bought it anyway? ;)

In the UK there may be some big fuss about these guys, but let me assure you - there are probably 5 people in Australia who might even own this CD and there is and will be no hype here for this band.

And just one last thing. Try putting these lyrics over the chorus melody of 'The Shocker':

I love God

'Cause his son died for me

He is my saviour!

See, it could be a lot worse than 'Two in the pink and one in the stink...' :lol:

But I think this is why I'm so against what you guys are saying. I have a deep, pure hatred for religion and christian lyrics that runs well beyond my bones. And I've not hidden that. But just because I don't think much of the guys in Disciple, Holy Soldier or The Brave (debut) on a lyrical level, would I actually discard music that good because they have terrible lyrics and I think they're idiots?

No, as my case has always been; Good music is good music. If I can look past my most hated subject matter on earth for the sake of a good song, can't see why you can't dig this. In an over-the-top way, at least we can all relate to Steel Panther - if not literally, at least from the depths of our sick little minds. :)

Just one other point. I think Fair Warning are terrible and the new CD is absolute and total shit, but dudes, if that's the way you roll, roll that way. If that is legitimately your favourite CD of the year because you'd somehow get past those awful songs and like them more than the rest of what 2009 has offered, that's your right to party. The only thing that I've found really silly (well, one of two things) about this whole argument is the people saying that this can't actually be your favourite CD of the year. I just don't get it. Where I come from, if a band writes the best songs of 2009, records the best songs of 2009 and releases the best songs of 2009 on CD... doesn't that make that the best CD of 2009?

Why are you comparing them to Fair Warning? Where did that come from? Sure FW's lyrics are awful, but I'd like to see you write a great song in German? Anyway, who is saying the new FW album is great? It's not - it's pretty horrible & I personally think the Steel Panther album is better, but I also think that a re-hashed 80's Hair Metal disc with some cool playing/singing but very few new ideas is not gonna make any Best Of list of mine.

Why are you comparing them to Fair Warning? Where did that come from? Sure FW's lyrics are awful, but I'd like to see you write a great song in German? Anyway, who is saying the new FW album is great? It's not - it's pretty horrible & I personally think the Steel Panther album is better, but I also think that a re-hashed 80's Hair Metal disc with some cool playing/singing but very few new ideas is not gonna make any Best Of list of mine.

What I dont understand is how this is anymore 're-hashed' than say Marcello/Vestry?

I mean that album had just about every 80's riff and lyrical cliche going and then some, yet everyone was raving about that??

OK, Party All Day is a complete rip off of Livin On A Prayer, but otherwise its only stylewise similar.....Im dying to hear the new Treat album, but I bet my house that is going to be just as re-hashed as SP.