Steel Panther

Glen

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying that they didnt spend time on the lyrics is just plain silly.

It takes far more skill and talent to write genuinly funny parody lyrics than it does to write a good percent of cheesy 80s lyrics.

I mean, how long did it take to write "Lick it up, lick it up, its only right now" and then repeat that line over and over again?

Or "Slide it in, right to the top, Slide it in, I aint never gonna stop..slide it in, slide it in, slide it in!"?

Well to answer your question - it probably took 2 minutes. And that's because they're shit lyrics. Same as the Steel Panther ones. There is no skill here that a 13 year old having watched the first couple of "American Pie" films couldn't replicate, and it takes far more skill to write a song with some meaning/longevity outside of giving a handful of teenage kids a giggle. But my point is that it's a complete waste when clearly so much time has gone into the musicianship (some of the solos are awesome especially) that they couldn't have taken the serious musicians path instead of just being a joke band.

And I whole heartedly disagree.

The lyrics while smutty, well thought out and carefully constructed.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

If you think its a total waste, I am sure that the record sales and tickets they regularly sell to punters clamouring to see them would say the opposite.

Hey look, I don't dislike this at all. It's pretty funny stuff & awesome production/playing. It's just that it has no longevity IMO. I'm also not surprised they're selling records when you can get their CD for £5.99! However the true test is whether they make a 2nd and 3rd album, & whether they can keep the lyrical content fresh.

Btw, I saw them live at Download and they were pretty damn good - but they didn't exactly have one of the biggest crowds of the day...

Yep, gotta agree with Howdy. To say that it takes no skill to write genuinely funny lyrics is completely incorrect, imo. Yes, they're seemingly "childish" at times, but no one can deny there is actually some really funny shit on this disc. Much more effort than; 'My baby left me and I cried and I hope she comes back - Hold on to our love please, sweetheart.'

As I said above with my Kane Roberts comparison, I need names. Who are you actually comparing these guys to when you say the lyrics are so inferior? This is not a go at the music because I love the same music as you (well, a lot of it anyway), but generally the lyrics we listen to are inane love song drivel, fighting for your dreams and rocking all day and night. There is no substance to 90% of the lyrics in the music we listen to on this site but it's never stopped any of us here from loving it.

As I said above, these guys have done something different and creative and they seem to be getting nailed for trying to put a bit of flare and excitement into what can be a tiring genre in recent times.

As for Download, I obviously wasn't there but I heard that people couldn't get into the Steel Panther tent because it was packed out and that they had a huge crowd for the small space they were assigned?

Plus on top of that, as I said before, they initially thought they would only need a venue in London of 100 capacity, and ended up moving to a different part of the building to up the ticket sales to 800.

From what I heard at Download, they werent exactly given the biggest stage, so of course they wouldnt have had the biggest crowd, especially considering some of the other HUGE bands that were playing as well.

The reason they are coming back here is that there is a huge demand for them, and if they play Briston Academy as is expected, well that puts them in a league the likes of Skid Row, Iron Maiden, Thunder and Bowling For Soup etc, who I have all seen play there at the height of their success.

Check out my totally kickass STEEL PANTHER guitar solo I did for the competition!

Also building up a kickass Steel Panther collection! (Waiting on a few more things to arrive)

SPCOLLECTION1.jpg

1. lol

2. I want your collection! Now!

Check out my totally kickass STEEL PANTHER guitar solo I did for the competition!

Also building up a kickass Steel Panther collection! (Waiting on a few more things to arrive)

SPCOLLECTION1.jpg

Did you get the link for the iTunes songs I sent?

I didnt get a reply, so dunno if you got them.

Plus on top of that, as I said before, they initially thought they would only need a venue in London of 100 capacity, and ended up moving to a different part of the building to up the ticket sales to 800.

From what I heard at Download, they werent exactly given the biggest stage, so of course they wouldnt have had the biggest crowd, especially considering some of the other HUGE bands that were playing as well.

The reason they are coming back here is that there is a huge demand for them, and if they play Briston Academy as is expected, well that puts them in a league the likes of Skid Row, Iron Maiden, Thunder and Bowling For Soup etc, who I have all seen play there at the height of their success.

Yep they basically got a tent at Download. I actually thought they were very good live, the singer and guitarist were two of the stars of the weekend IMO. They sure as hell played better than Whitesnake & Def Leppard. If they ditched the juvenile lyrics I'd probably actually go see them again...

Oh and just to give you an idea, Chickenfoot entered the British album charts last week at #23 and Steel Panther entered at #53, which is pretty good considering the hype around Chickenfoot and the fact that bands like this dont often get that high in the Brit charts. (UFOs new album entered at #99)

Interesting little note looking at the charts in the second week, Steel Panther has dropped #71 but Chickenfoot has already dropped to #78.

SP dropped 18 places but CF not only dropped 55 places, but also sold less copies in its second week than SP.

UFO is unsurprisinly nowhere to be seen.

I think thats good sales compared against Chickenfoot.

It may only be £6 on Amazon and Play, but elsewhere such as HMV, its normal priced.

I saw Metal Shop at The Viper Room in Hollywood. they were fantastic doing covers.

However, I dont like some of their own lyrics. Just puerile, not one hint of irony in them!

Obviously the production of Steel Panther in top quality but when the start lyrics that a frustrated 13 school kid could write, I switch off.

I know it's suppost to be like that, I just dont find it at all clever.

Tc

Obviously the production of Steel Panther in top quality but when the start lyrics that a frustrated 13 school kid could write, I switch off.

Tc

Exactly the argument that splits the 2 sides mate - I have to agree with you on all your points to be honest, as do others, but the SP fanboys will (and have) had something to say about that ;)

Man, if I had ever paid for a ring tone in my life this would be the one:

http://www.tone4all.com/ringtones/listen/18602

In this day and age of mobile phones that you can put MP3s on like a normal MP3 player, and use them as ringtones, why would anyone still be buying ringtones?

Just dont understand it.

Tc

Exactly the argument that splits the 2 sides mate - I have to agree with you on all your points to be honest, as do others, but the SP fanboys will (and have) had something to say about that ;)

To be honest this album is excellent. Sing along choruses, funny as hell and just some great great songs.

The only thing which is keeping it off top spot is one or two weaker tracks towards the end.

Up to 'Turn Out The Lights' tho it just plain rocks.

Man, if I had ever paid for a ring tone in my life this would be the one:

http://www.tone4all.com/ringtones/listen/18602

In this day and age of mobile phones that you can put MP3s on like a normal MP3 player, and use them as ringtones, why would anyone still be buying ringtones?

Just dont understand it.

Yeah, I actually figured that out at work yesterday, went home and decked the f*ck out of my phone. Now I just have to figure out how to get snippets of songs rather than just intros. :)

I woke up to the alarm on my phone this morning, which is 'I want your tits' by Steel Panther... thanks to you, my good man! :drink:

Tc

To be honest this album is excellent. Sing along choruses, funny as hell and just some great great songs.

The only thing which is keeping it off top spot is one or two weaker tracks towards the end.

Up to 'Turn Out The Lights' tho it just plain rocks.

'Hell's on fire' is a killer closer, though. And 'Stripper girl' is a brilliant ballad!

Okay, and it has to be said. I know I'm a broken record, but so is this argument. No one is calling Steel Panther clever. I doubt severely that was ever their aim. However, they are "clever" enough to have recorded a better album than 90% of these other "clever" bands they're probably being compared to.

And lyrics a 13 year old kid could write, as opposed to what? Is a 13 year old kid not also capable of writing the rest of the stuff we listen to on this site?

Havent used it in a while, but I used to use this site for making clip MP3s for my phone http://www.myxer.com/make/ (I have given a better description in the thread you created in the MP3 tech forum)

Theres also a function in Nero that I use these days called Wave editor, although because I wont pay for the function, I have to save as wma files and then convert them to MP3 using Super.

That said, I usually just use whole MP3 songs as ringtones and message tones.

I burnt this for my bro to see what he thinks...and he cant stop raving about it......the last text he sent me he thought it was verging on genius.

I burnt this for my bro to see what he thinks...and he cant stop raving about it......the last text he sent me he thought it was verging on genius.

Not being argumentitive, but Genius this certainly isn't mate! ;)

I've also seen 'Feel The Steel' described as a 'Classic' aswell. People need to calm down a little I think. :wacko:

Not being argumentitive, but Genius this certainly isn't mate! ;)

I've also seen 'Feel The Steel' described as a 'Classic' aswell. People need to calm down a little I think. :wacko:

Actually its pretty damned killer and everytime I listen to it, it gets better. Some of those solos are pretty special as well.

One of the only albums Ive heard this year, when I sing along joyfully to every chorus. Isnt that pretty much what its all about.

I sure as hell dont sing along to Dream Theater. LOL.

Nice pics. Despite my criticisms I'd definitely see them again live (their Download slot was too short)....