What type of CD collector are you?

What type of CD collector are you?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Second option for me. I used to have a lot more CDs, but realised that I just don't have the space for them all and there are so many that I never listen to, so I've scaled down quite considerably. With the kids around now, my listening time is greatly reduced, mostly limited to commuting and other travelling. I still don't think I've got enough years left to listen to all the CDs I've got and tunes I've downloaded...

Option 4 for me , I can't get enough of old and new bands. I have over 13,000 cd's in my collection (plus a crap-load of cassettes) plus I have about 2,000 cd's sittin here that I haven't even listened to yet. Between that and the ridiculous amounts of cd's / demos I get sent every week , I just don't have time anymore to listen to the "backlog" of stuff. Crazy business...

I have been selling off some of my collection after ripping to hard drive but I'm saving all the mega-rarities until last. It's gonna be tough to let those go...

Option 4 - probably around 2500 CD's, among them maybe 100 that I would quite happily part with in trades or sell on E-Bay. I'm working on cutting the collection back but there's just too damn many awesome new releases every month that I can't resist. I certainly don't try to collect everything from a band/genre though. If it sucks I try to get rid of it.

plus I have about 2,000 cd's sittin here that I haven't even listened to yet.

You can send some of them my way if you want and i will listen to them for you ;-))

Option 3 for me.

I'm not a completist because I know that its just impossible for me to get every single CD by the band that I like by just going to CD stores. I'm not too much into spending insane amount of money just to get a particular one. If I know that I won't be able to get the debut (I always stick with the debut), I'll just get whatever is handy. Like that of Loudness and Lillian Axe. I know that I have to spend a considerable amount just to get The Birthday Eve and LA's S/T so I'll just stick with Soldier of Fortune and Psychoschizophrenia.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest JonniJigolo

I own about 4,000 CDs. about 80% are Japanese imports, even by Western bands as I feel the value will stay higher over time. I only tend to play a CD once though as I just rip them on my PC and store them in plastic containers away from light...I sound really obsessive now, don't I? :unsure:

• 10 years later...

Every cd I get I listen to a minimum twice before putting it on my selves (alphabetical). I have thousands so yes, some go years without a play. But I go through stages. Right now I am listening to a lot of prog again. I'm enjoying the German band Eloy and their Pink Floydish sound especially. Actually, Pink Floyd would be my most played cds overall. I never tire of some of them (WYWH and Animals are my favourites). So, even though I have thousands of cds, there isn't a single one I have not played.

• Like 1

I have virtually stopped buying cds now. Its a defunct medium imo 

I probably buy 5-10 a year now and its my absolute fav artists.

This yr so far I have bought WET, Chez, Ronnie & Levara 

Yep, I hate that it has happened - genuinely makes me sad - but I don't even know the last CD I bought. :(

I still buy quite a bit, maybe 3 or 4 a month sometimes more...I have a shelving unit simply for my favourites which I was will spin a lot with 1000 odd on it and two shelving units with the same each (1000 plus) that I don't listen to as much and not at all respectively.

Also quite a few boxes in the attic with god knows what in them that I have just stopped looking in because I can never find what I originally set out to look for  :(

But my favs unit is constantly on the change.

I buy on cd all the time. Why would I buy digital when cd is a hard copy of digital anyway? And vinyl is pitched at hipsters who want the cool factor, but the sound is inferior, the medium is fragile and fiddly. Nope, I'm happy to remain a cd collector. There is no current medium that has surpassed it.

• Like 1

I've cut back on my cd buying as I have so many cds now that I have to check the shelves to see if I already own a particular release :).... I'm also going thru my 7000+ collection to rediscover music that I have literally forgotten about....and then there is the fact that I'm getting a bit jaded as most new music sounds like everything that has come before and it is rare that I come across a new release that impresses me these days...

I buy fleetingly anymore at best and I rarely bought/buy new releases. It was the rifling through racks and racks and racks at some Podunk pawn shop that did it for me. Always on the hunt for that 1 cd you didn't know you wanted. But again those days are LOOONG gone and since we moved south almost 10 years ago my collection hasn't seen the light of day (I do see the boxes, totes and crates daily and that is heartbreaking). :(

I do miss those weekends when James Staryder Gebbia would come to town and we would go from dawn to well after dark touring the area hitting 20-40 stores and amassing hundreds of cd's and spending peanuts as at the time most shops sold cd's for a quarter.

Maybe after the pandemic what nots dies down I'll treat myself to a trip up North and do the Half Price Books circuit, unless of course they are all gone now? In the greater Seattle area, I5, I90 and I405 you could hit 6 plus. Maybe hit a few Goodwills as the pawn shops don't or didn't have cds for a while now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

I've cut back on my cd buying as I have so many cds now that I have to check the shelves to see if I already own a particular release :).... I'm also going thru my 7000+ collection to rediscover music that I have literally forgotten about....and then there is the fact that I'm getting a bit jaded as most new music sounds like everything that has come before and it is rare that I come across a new release that impresses me these days...

Ha! I have done that before, bought a cd and then realise I already had it... 

I still am discovering "new" music. Well, it is new to me even if it first came out 50 years ago. Like I am listening to Darwin by Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso at the moment. It's blowing my mind. Like rock music influenced by Italian opera...

1 hour ago, martinsane said:

I buy fleetingly anymore at best and I rarely bought/buy new releases. It was the rifling through racks and racks and racks at some Podunk pawn shop that did it for me. Always on the hunt for that 1 cd you didn't know you wanted. But again those days are LOOONG gone and since we moved south almost 10 years ago my collection hasn't seen the light of day (I do see the boxes, totes and crates daily and that is heartbreaking). :(

I do miss those weekends when James Staryder Gebbia would come to town and we would go from dawn to well after dark touring the area hitting 20-40 stores and amassing hundreds of cd's and spending peanuts as at the time most shops sold cd's for a quarter.

Maybe after the pandemic what nots dies down I'll treat myself to a trip up North and do the Half Price Books circuit, unless of course they are all gone now? In the greater Seattle area, I5, I90 and I405 you could hit 6 plus. Maybe hit a few Goodwills as the pawn shops don't or didn't have cds for a while now.

That takes me back. I miss that so much. Those days are dead for me too. It's all online for me now, but I so miss the days of digging through racks of cds for hours and finding that rarity for next to nothing. There was something about that that can never be replaced. 

22 hours ago, Glen said:

I have virtually stopped buying cds now. Its a defunct medium imo 

I probably buy 5-10 a year now and its my absolute fav artists.

This yr so far I have bought WET, Chez, Ronnie & Levara 

Same for me.  I used to buy quite a few although I never went overboard crazy.  I was generally buying 10-12 a year on average I'd say.

I've spent the past year or so trying to really scale down my CD's and I've got down to around 100 or so left which are all basically albums I absolutely love and just couldn't part with.

It's just tough buying CDs when you have nowhere to listen to them.  My main place to listen used to be in my cars but now none of my cars have CD players.  I do still have one CD player in the house but rarely use it.

I will still buy an occasional CD but not many.  I've bought 2 so far in 2021....Temple Balls and Midnite City. 

I've just grown into Spotify.  It's nice having so much music at my fingertips and just so convenient.  I still listen to lots of stuff that comes out though and if I hear something I really have to have, I'll probably buy the CD.

3 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Same for me.  I used to buy quite a few although I never went overboard crazy.  I was generally buying 10-12 a year on average I'd say.

I've spent the past year or so trying to really scale down my CD's and I've got down to around 100 or so left which are all basically albums I absolutely love and just couldn't part with.

It's just tough buying CDs when you have nowhere to listen to them.  My main place to listen used to be in my cars but now none of my cars have CD players.  I do still have one CD player in the house but rarely use it.

I will still buy an occasional CD but not many.  I've bought 2 so far in 2021....Temple Balls and Midnite City. 

I've just grown into Spotify.  It's nice having so much music at my fingertips and just so convenient.  I still listen to lots of stuff that comes out though and if I hear something I really have to have, I'll probably buy the CD.

same.

I basically have nowhere to play them either, but I do still have a cd player in the car but in 2.5 yrs that will be gone as well. 

most of my listening is digital over headphones. 

Very rarely play an album now - its just playlists etc