• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now:
Tough Sh*t: Life Advice From a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith

On deck:
Living Like a Runaway by Lita Ford

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished:

Amazing! Fantastic! Incredible! A Marvel-Ous Memoir by Stan Lee, with Peter David

(Stan the Man's life story told, fittingly, in comic book form. Given that format, this was a very quick read - I banged it out in about an hour - but it was lots of fun)

On deck:
Silent Bob Speaks: The Collected Writings of Kevin Smith

• 1 month later...

Finished Lita Ford's book "Living Like a Runaway" this morning. It was a quick, mostly entertaining read, tho it's extremely self serving, as you might expect.... Lita certainly has an inflated opinion of herself, she gives herself waaaay too much credit for being some kind of guitar innovator. Granted, she may be considered a trail blazer for female guitar players in rock but geez, to hear her talk herself up in this thing you'd think that no woman in history had EVER touched a guitar before she came along, and that she's right up there with Ritchie Blackmore or Joe Satriani in the skill dept.

Her divorce and the loss of custody of her kids is glossed over fairly quickly, presumably for legal reasons, so no light is shed on that situation. Interestingly, she never mentions Jim Gillette by name; she only refers to him as "my ex-husband."

She also publicly disowns the "Wicked Wonderland" album, saying that the entire project was controlled by her then-hubby, which is not exactly a shocker.

Now moving on to:

"Tearing Down the Wall of Sound: the Rise and Fall of Phil Spector" by Mick Brown

Currently reading ... Mick Wall: When Giants Walked The Earth - A Biography Of Led Zeppelin

• 2 months later...

General Relativity and sex. Amazing so far! Why it took me so long to discover this jewel!

21611.jpg

George Peabody is my new idol and password!

16131.jpg

Tenser, said the Tensor.Tenser, said the Tensor. No wonder why Hugo Awards were created in order to accommodate this masterpiece.Tension, apprehension, and dissension have begun.

Tenser, said the Tensor.Tenser, said the Tensor.Tension, apprehension, and dissension have begun

8036874.jpg

The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time by Douglas Adams

• 3 weeks later...

Nerd Girl Rocks Paradise City: Faking It in Hair Metal L.A. by Anne Soffee

--effin' hilarious memoir by a small town rock critic who headed out to L.A. during the waning days of the Hair Metal era hoping to become the next big time Rock Journalist God ala Lester Bangs or Legs McNeil. As you might expect, the streets of Los Angeles were not exactly paved with gold by the time she arrived.

• 3 months later...

George Lucas: A Life, by Bryan Jay Jones

• 2 weeks later...

James Bond: Win, Lose or Die by John Gardner

• 5 weeks later...
The Daily Show (The Book) - An Oral History as Told By Jon Stewart, the Correspondents, Staff and Guests by Chris Smith

My Sebastian Bach book arrive all beat up and even water damaged.

Ordered from Fishpond who drop shipped it from the UK

Arrived in a thin cardboard wrapping which protected it in no way, so I sent it back for a refund and reordered from Booktopia.

So now I wait longer....

• 4 weeks later...
Anger Is An Energy: My Life Uncensored by John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten)

Anger Is An Energy: My Life Uncensored by John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten)

I've just picked this one up ... I've read his previous book ('Rotten ...') several times, so I'm looking forward to this one :)

• 3 months later...

Recent reads:

Various - Deadpool: The Complete Collection Vol. I

The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen: Awesome Female Characters From Comic Book History by Hope Nicholson

Batman: The Long Halloween graphic novel by Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale

Kicking & Screaming: A Story of Heart, Soul and Rock & Roll by Ann and Nancy Wilson

Been a while since I did any pleasure reading but just wrapping up the Sebastian Bach tome 18 and Life on Skid Row.

SPOILER: pretty incoherent thoughts with not a lot of substance and the structure is pretty scatter brained at best.

Haven't read anything in FOREVER! Still waiting for that Warren DeMartini book :D although who are we kidding, that is never gonna happen. Other unlikely books / biographies I'd love to read:

Warren DeMartini

Dann Huff

Michael Bolton 1983-1989, I know he has a book out but I'd love to read more about those ''AOR'' years in detail

Kip Winger / Reb Beach

Eddie Van Halen (an honest one, yeah right!!)

George Lynch

Vivian Campbell

Steve Lukather

Desmond Child

Richie Sambora

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished:

A Carlin Home Companion: Growing Up With George by Kelly Carlin

• 2 weeks later...

DC Showcase Presents: Batman (500 pages of vintage Batman/Detective Comics issues from the late 60s)

Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock and Out by Bill Graham and Robert Greenfield

• 4 weeks later...
Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption, From South Central to Hollywood by Ice-T and Douglas Century