Eclipse - Monumentum

Stefan

Good, solid album which sounds fantastic, but unfortunately sounds like a dead ringer to the last 2 to my ears...you could chop and change the tracks between all of them and not notice the difference. .

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to Nordic Union the other day and was thinking how far superior the Eclipse album is. The funny thing about that album is, every time I hear it I think it's worse than the last time I hear it. The songs are so limp... with the exception of 'True love awaits you.' Every time I hear the album, that song gets better. Such a great hook and melody on an otherwise safe, one-dimensional album.

I know we've discussed this many a time, but I still don't get your hate for that album. Just sounds like every other Martensson album to me :lol:

It's just safe, boring songs. Listen to it back to back with Eclipse. He hasn't thrown one decent meaty riff into the Nordic Union album, whereas they're on every Eclipse song. There is not one hook on the albums (bar that wonderful ballad) that is anything more than straight forward and basic... and just sounds bored to me. Compare the chorus hooks alone to Eclipse, or Hitchcock or something.

Like I said all along, the reason I am probably more disappointed with it than other similar releases is because Atkins is a great song writer himself. He doesn't need someone writing songs for him, and for the most part he could have done much better or at least as good. It's just the safest I've heard Martensson go.

I was listening to Nordic Union the other day and was thinking how far superior the Eclipse album is. The funny thing about that album is, every time I hear it I think it's worse than the last time I hear it. The songs are so limp... with the exception of 'True love awaits you.' Every time I hear the album, that song gets better. Such a great hook and melody on an otherwise safe, one-dimensional album.

I know we've discussed this many a time, but I still don't get your hate for that album. Just sounds like every other Martensson album to me :lol:

It's just safe, boring songs. Listen to it back to back with Eclipse. He hasn't thrown one decent meaty riff into the Nordic Union album, whereas they're on every Eclipse song. There is not one hook on the albums (bar that wonderful ballad) that is anything more than straight forward and basic... and just sounds bored to me. Compare the chorus hooks alone to Eclipse, or Hitchcock or something.

Like I said all along, the reason I am probably more disappointed with it than other similar releases is because Atkins is a great song writer himself. He doesn't need someone writing songs for him, and for the most part he could have done much better or at least as good. It's just the safest I've heard Martensson go.

"Falling" is one of the best songs in the last 15+ years, for me anyway.

Me too :)

'Falling' would be one of my least favourite tracks on the album. The chorus is soooo banal. It sounds like he wrote a song like that 15 years ago in school at lunch time or something. Sorry dudes... I don't hate the song... I just really, really don't get the praise for something I find so average.

'Falling' would be one of my least favourite tracks on the album. The chorus is soooo banal. It sounds like he wrote a song like that 15 years ago in school at lunch time or something. Sorry dudes... I don't hate the song... I just really, really don't get the praise for something I find so average.

Lonely opinion

I've listened to this album probably 15 times over the last week or so and it continues to grow on me. It'll never rise to the level of "Bleed & Scream", let alone "Armaggedonize" but it's a terrific album nonetheless.

Lonely opinion

A little less lonely. The NU album falls flat for me. There's nothing on there that ranks in the best tracks since 2002!

Lonely opinion
A little less lonely. The NU album falls flat for me. There's nothing on there that ranks in the best tracks since 2002!

You and Geoff can form a little club ;)

Outside of us 25 on here there are literally 100s of folk in the mafia on FB and i didnt see a bad word on this album.

Just keeping it real guys.

Easily momentum would be a better album if pappy Atkins did the vocals.

At least it has 2 great tracks with nice aging bouquet (which is the heart of the matter for me- see what I did here). And probably the only ones I'll continue to listen from it.

Lonely opinion

You and Geoff can form a little club ;)

Outside of us 25 on here there are literally 100s of folk in the mafia on FB and i didnt see a bad word on this album.

Just keeping it real guys.

I honestly really doubt we'd be that alone across all fans of "our" music. I would find it impossible to believe I'd be the only one who feels like this about the Nordic Union album. Sure I have differing opinions on a lot of things, but regarding melodic rock / melodic hard rock, I think I usually more or less agree on fantastic albums, and vice versa.

I'd really be interested to follow up on people who initially liked this, who may have realised after repeated spins that it didn't hold up the way they hoped it would. For people to say this is anywhere near, let alone better than either Eclipse or Pretty Maids... that's the bit I can't handle. I honestly just don't think this is absolutely anywhere at all near the two bands these guys are actually passionate about.

It's a decent "project" album with simple, safe songs... that Martensson would only put on an project album, and not an Eclipse album.

It is only 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th rate Pretty Maids or Eclipse.

And for the record, 'True love awaits you' is excluded from that, as I still think that is a magnificent song. Exquisite hook/melody that far exceeds whatever else is on there. IMO. ;)

Well go on FB on melodic mafia group and post your feelings . Youll be surprised at the response.

Its not as good as Eclipse - i have never said that. But at the same time it is not average either. In terms of the last pretty maids album that was pretty good at best with only 2 or 3 standouts for me so yeah i prefer NU to that

The chorus and second half of the song is good, but that song is completely made by the first verse and everything leading into when the full band joins in. Killer lyrical melodies. Love the first half of the tune immensely. And overall, it is a very good tune.

The chorus and second half of the song is good, but that song is completely made by the first verse and everything leading into when the full band joins in. Killer lyrical melodies. Love the first half of the tune immensely. And overall, it is a very good tune.

I agree Geoff that the second half is good......no, I think for me the better word is "Killer"!! I actually love the lyrical melodies as you do......Outstanding in my opinion......I am one of those who am just "sick and tired" of the same ole routine over and over and over until eternity......this track actually employs some genuine inovation in the song construction and underlying melodies. Another excellent release in my opinion and also another Japanese pressing for my collection because I admire it that much.

Love the start, then I skip after the first chorus. They needed to go back to the start and strip it back and build again after the first chorus. Then again I seem to be one of a few these days not loooooving everything these days.

Looks like I need to go into Facebook as well to get myself the right opinion? ?

No, just to realise it is a lonely opinion.

Amongst a dozen or so guys here, and maybe another dozen or so (?) on that Facebook page too?

Like I said, I'd be interested in the bigger picture. ;)

Amongst a dozen or so guys here, and maybe another dozen or so (?) on that Facebook page too?

2500 in the mafia mate ;)

We are small fry here.

2500 in the mafia mate ;)

We are small fry here.

Holy shitballs, you serious? Wow. All those 2500 discuss the music and stuff? Oh well, good on 'em. Go Wes and crew. Who'd have thunk it, hey?

I still hate Facebook, though... ;) Dan's stuck with me for life.