First Spin Impressions

JustJason

HOUSE OF LORDS - Cartesian Dreams

Pretty standard fare here from another HOL disc. Some stunning songs (as usual), and some total duffers too. A bit heavier than the previous couple of discs and as a result it suffers as the heavier songs lack big hooks. Production is okay, same-old same-old. Overall if you liked the last couple of discs then buy it, if you didn't then avoid it like the plague. Decent but unspectacular stuff IMO.

The first half of it is excellent. Drops away a little at the end, but there are at least 5 or 6 killer songs on this...........I actually prefer it to the last 2 albums truth be told.

I only spun it once so far about a week ago but I loved how this thing started... as noted, heavier than before. I also think it did dip towards the end, but sounded pretty good overall to me.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frozen Ghost - 'Shake your spirit' ; no thanks. Didn't like the dude's voice, hated the vibe... reminded me of late-80's pop rock like Hunters & Collectors. I really disliked this. Instant trade fodder.

I quite like 'Shake..' even though it has a change in sound compared to before. The other 2 discs are much much better, especially the 'S/T' which for me is a brilliant AOR disc.

HOUSE OF LORDS - Cartesian Dreams

Pretty standard fare here from another HOL disc. Some stunning songs (as usual), and some total duffers too. A bit heavier than the previous couple of discs and as a result it suffers as the heavier songs lack big hooks. Production is okay, same-old same-old. Overall if you liked the last couple of discs then buy it, if you didn't then avoid it like the plague. Decent but unspectacular stuff IMO.

The first half of it is excellent. Drops away a little at the end, but there are at least 5 or 6 killer songs on this...........I actually prefer it to the last 2 albums truth be told.

I only spun it once so far about a week ago but I loved how this thing started... as noted, heavier than before. I also think it did dip towards the end, but sounded pretty good overall to me.

'Joanna' saves the end...great track.

Mr. Reality - s/t ; I kind of stay away from acoustic albums, not becuase I don't like them, but because I get bored with them. There are actually some really excellent modern acoustic rock bands which I'd be into if they could hold my attention... but I just need a bit of variation and some balls. That said, for what it is this is not too bad. Nicely played, nice vocals and harmonies, some decent songs. I don't know if this'll be a keeper, but 'Waiting For September' was the best song on it and pretty freakin' nice.

Nouveaux - '... And this is how I feel' ; I actually didn't even know this existed until I bought it. What are the odds of two acoustic discs in a row? In my collection, beneath zero. Anyway, this one is better than the above. Both remind me of Nelson's 'Because they can'. This one does have some good strong choruses, good harmonies... reminds me a little of Aussie band Taxiride at times too. I really didn't mind this at all, and bar one or two hiccups you'd barely notice it was a christian disc either. This one's a keeper.

Nouveaux - '... And this is how I feel' ; I actually didn't even know this existed until I bought it. What are the odds of two acoustic discs in a row? In my collection, beneath zero. Anyway, this one is better than the above. Both remind me of Nelson's 'Because they can'. This one does have some good strong choruses, good harmonies... reminds me a little of Aussie band Taxiride at times too. I really didn't mind this at all, and bar one or two hiccups you'd barely notice it was a christian disc either. This one's a keeper.

That was a bit hard to get into esp after the awesome debut, but now i love it almost as much.

That was a bit hard to get into esp after the awesome debut, but now i love it almost as much.

Yeah, I have to admit I'm out on my own and whilst I think the debut is a pretty good disc, I do think it's severely over-rated. This one definitely isn't too far behind it, if at all. Two good, solid discs.

Mr. Reality - s/t ; I kind of stay away from acoustic albums, not becuase I don't like them, but because I get bored with them. There are actually some really excellent modern acoustic rock bands which I'd be into if they could hold my attention... but I just need a bit of variation and some balls. That said, for what it is this is not too bad. Nicely played, nice vocals and harmonies, some decent songs. I don't know if this'll be a keeper, but 'Waiting For September' was the best song on it and pretty freakin' nice.

If you 'kind of' liked Mr. Reality you would 'kind of' like the follow-up band Highway 9. Same members.

Down To The Bone-Electric Mary

I am really ejoying this cd,classic hard rock at it's best and who would of thought Irwin thomas was once in Southern Sons?Irwin is a amazing guitarist and Pete the other guitarist is awesome as well.Think of a dual lead attack of Thin Lizzy with Bad Company,Free,Led Zep,70's Aerosmith etc etc,you get my drift.

In a few words"Fucking brillant"

Down To The Bone-Electric Mary

I am really ejoying this cd,classic hard rock at it's best and who would of thought Irwin thomas was once in Southern Sons?Irwin is a amazing guitarist and Pete the other guitarist is awesome as well.Think of a dual lead attack of Thin Lizzy with Bad Company,Free,Led Zep,70's Aerosmith etc etc,you get my drift.

In a few words"Fucking brillant"

Backed. Great album. :headbanger:

If you 'kind of' liked Mr. Reality you would 'kind of' like the follow-up band Highway 9. Same members.

Wow, thanks for the info. I definitely did not know that. I actually have a Highway 9 CD and it's not bad. Like Ingram Hill, Sister Hazel etc... just nice melodic acoustic-based pop rock. Man, who'd have thunk it. I'm guessing they had some massive haircuts between projects. :lol:

Renegade - 'Back from the dead' ; honestly, a little disappointed. Nowhere near as good as the Matrex album and production is a little basic too. Not bad and maybe a grower, but not as good as I hoped/expected.

Renegade - 'On the edge' ; but this was. Again, I don't think it quite matches Matrex but there were some really good tunes on this, especially the second half. I really liked this.

Sense Field - 'Tonight and forever' ; crap, basically. Not awful, but just boring and unappealing.

BB Steal - 'Resurrection' ; Man this is disappointing. Glad I have it in the collection, but I don't get it. Honestly, I think I could have played the guitar on this. Musically, this is one the most boring and uninspired releases I've ever heard. There are one or two decent songs, but the music is just dead. Same slow tired track each time. I really liked track 5, but that was it. I will try it again, but basically the truth of the matter is you could take a 10 second snippet off any moment from 'On the edge' and it'd kill this album single handedly.

Slash Puppet - 'No strings attached' ; AWESOME! Just killer hard rock from start to end and easily the best I've heard from Suncity. Loved it.

BB Steal - 'Resurrection' ; Man this is disappointing. Glad I have it in the collection, but I don't get it. Honestly, I think I could have played the guitar on this. Musically, this is one the most boring and uninspired releases I've ever heard. There are one or two decent songs, but the music is just dead. Same slow tired track each time. I really liked track 5, but that was it. I will try it again, but basically the truth of the matter is you could take a 10 second snippet off any moment from 'On the edge' and it'd kill this album single handedly.

Being a BB Steal bitch, i love that album... still nothing like the debut though...

I still wonder what the point of it was though? They didnt promote it... and only sold a couple hundred...which as far as im aware arnt available anywhere...

Being a BB Steal bitch, i love that album... still nothing like the debut though...

I still wonder what the point of it was though? They didnt promote it... and only sold a couple hundred...which as far as im aware arnt available anywhere...

Yeah, I'll probably grow to not mind it because of how fond I am of the debut, but it really shouldn't be called BB Steal. Only Csongrady is left and there is no musical resemblance to 'On the edge'. It just shouldn't carry the same band name. Not all the actual songs and melodies and hooks are write-offs, but musically the whole disc is. :(

Yeah, I'll probably grow to not mind it because of how fond I am of the debut, but it really shouldn't be called BB Steal. Only Csongrady is left and there is no musical resemblance to 'On the edge'. It just shouldn't carry the same band name. Not all the actual songs and melodies and hooks are write-offs, but musically the whole disc is. :(

It was great to see them at the Sydney launch though.. even if there were only 30 people there. Craig was fantastic.

It was great to see them at the Sydney launch though.. even if there were only 30 people there. Craig was fantastic.

Did they play songs off the debut? Can the guys in the current band actually do anything exciting with their instruments? :lol:

Slash Puppet - 'No strings attached' ; AWESOME! Just killer hard rock from start to end and easily the best I've heard from Suncity. Loved it.

Yeah I love that one to and agree it's the best from Suncity, well the best of all the ones I've heard so far.

That band should of been huge IMO.

Did they play songs off the debut? Can the guys in the current band actually do anything exciting with their instruments? :lol:

they did indeed.

and there was a girl on keys...

they did indeed.

The same one in the photos in the booklet?

they did indeed.

The same one in the photos in the booklet?

indeed