First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Lacrimas Profundere....I have owned this one for quite a while and have avoided playing it as I thought I wouldn't like it....I haven't been into goth metal for some time...not even sure why I picked it up...anyway it is actually not bad and I'll have to spin it a few more times ...........

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Savatage - dead winter dead

Im not the biggest Savatage fan around, but i love Edge of Thorns(the album) and Gutter Ballet (the song).

Im really not sure what to make of this album.... from bland metal to funny little ditties to operatic pieces... ummm, do i hate this or do i want to keep it?

Im not the biggest Savatage fan around, but i love Edge of Thorns(the album) and Gutter Ballet (the song).

Im really not sure what to make of this album.... from bland metal to funny little ditties to operatic pieces... ummm, do i hate this or do i want to keep it?

Yeah I never really got that one either. Some great tunes but a lot of storytelling stuff. Make sure you get "Handfull Of Rain"....

Yeah I never really got that one either. Some great tunes but a lot of storytelling stuff. Make sure you get "Handfull Of Rain"....

Handful of Rain is awesome and right on par with Edge of Thorns IMO.

Dead Winter Dead is good and you can hear where the sound for TSO came from but it's the worst of the 4 releases with Zak with Wake of Magellen also being very good but probably the 3rd best.

Joker - S/T

Not quite as stellar as the "Cool Deal" release but damn good IMO. Many great tunes such as "Change", "Remember", "Party for your Life", "I Want Love", "Lorranine", "Say Yeah", "Hey Salesman" and "She Wants Vengeance". I feel ashamed that I'm just discovering this awesome band.

Handful of Rain is awesome and right on par with Edge of Thorns IMO.

Dead Winter Dead is good and you can hear where the sound for TSO came from but it's the worst of the 4 releases with Zak with Wake of Magellen also being very good but probably the 3rd best.

Im not a TSO fan... too Christmassy to listen to...but i can definately hear the sound

For all intents and purposes, Savatage's DEAD WINTER DEAD may as well be the first T.S.O. record.

Danger Danger-Revolve

Damn this is good. Sounding like this could of followed up the Cockroach release and that's a good thing. It would be hard to imagine any old school D2 fan not liking this.

backed........sounds awesome on first spin.

Heard quite a few new ones over the weekend:

Sayit - Louder ; I'm going to have to say no thanks. Heavier than I thought and it's not quite as Denander-ish as most projects he is involved with, but the songs were just pretty weak and forgettable. It'll get a second spin, but a likely addition to my trade list.

Shiva - Desert dreams ; another not so good one. Some really nice choruses actually, but musically and verse-wise I just found this unappealing. Okay, but not great. Another probable trade list addition.

Sora - Demented honour ; and again. This was a solid disc - almost reminds me of stuff like Thunder. It was a pretty good disc, but just not what I dig. Too average without any standouts.

Taraxacum - Rainmaker ; a good one. I liked this one quite a bit. I think there is some Edguy link and it shows. Good solid hard rock / metal.

The Kry - I'll find you there ; pretty shithouse. Soft christian AOR kind of like Bryan Adams but weaker and the lyrics are just annoying. There were a few decent hooks here to be honest, but I hated the whole listening experience.

Token - Punch ; solid and pretty much as I expected. Safe, but not bad hard rock.

Tourist - The Relevance Of Motion ; pretty good modern rock disc. I actually liked most of this. Good stuff.

Tourist - The Relevance Of Motion ; pretty good modern rock disc. I actually liked most of this. Good stuff.

do you actually own that or download it?

Another eur$2.50 special!

Abusement Park - I am not what I've been taught ; funny thing about this one is that it was on my original want list, about 10 years ago. Through the years I obviously smartened up and forgot about it. Anyway, chance came up to grab it for a few dollars so I took it, for the old times. F*ck the old times, this is shit. It really is. I started out not minding it, but it just got offensive. It's heavy glam / sleaze metal but I couldn't shake the feeling that these guys thought they were gangsters or something. Not good.

Aggresive Nature - Storm coming ; not bad and thanks heaps for the freebie, Terry. To be honest, not really my thing and a bit too budget on the production side, but they give it a good shot. It was definitely better than I thought - more hard rock than metal. The vocalist reminds me of someone too... Can't think of who.

Freak of Nature - Freak of Nature

Ok this is from 1993 but I hadn't heard it before. Mike Tramp on vocals so I thought it might be ok... but I was wrong :P

Not really hard rock either, some of the songs have got a "funky" music sound to them which isn't my thing at all. Towards about the last 4 songs - as much as I tried - I could only get through about a minute before I hit skip.

Not un-listenable, but on the whole just so bland and boring. A couple of songs are ok but can't say I'll be listening to this again in a hurry. What a snooze fest.

Danger Danger-Revolve

Damn this is good. Sounding like this could of followed up the Cockroach release and that's a good thing. It would be hard to imagine any old school D2 fan not liking this.

And backed again...

Danger Danger-Revolve

And backed again...

isnt it...gets better with every spin.

Frozen Ghost - 'Shake your spirit' ; no thanks. Didn't like the dude's voice, hated the vibe... reminded me of late-80's pop rock like Hunters & Collectors. I really disliked this. Instant trade fodder.

HOUSE OF LORDS - Cartesian Dreams

Pretty standard fare here from another HOL disc. Some stunning songs (as usual), and some total duffers too. A bit heavier than the previous couple of discs and as a result it suffers as the heavier songs lack big hooks. Production is okay, same-old same-old. Overall if you liked the last couple of discs then buy it, if you didn't then avoid it like the plague. Decent but unspectacular stuff IMO.

HOUSE OF LORDS - Cartesian Dreams

Pretty standard fare here from another HOL disc. Some stunning songs (as usual), and some total duffers too. A bit heavier than the previous couple of discs and as a result it suffers as the heavier songs lack big hooks. Production is okay, same-old same-old. Overall if you liked the last couple of discs then buy it, if you didn't then avoid it like the plague. Decent but unspectacular stuff IMO.

The first half of it is excellent. Drops away a little at the end, but there are at least 5 or 6 killer songs on this...........I actually prefer it to the last 2 albums truth be told.