First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Heavy Pettin' - 'Rock ain't dead' ; this isn't the first time I've heard it... well, most of it. I owned this CD long ago but sacrificed it for the sake of a great trade offer. Always loved it though and played the CDR often. Fast forward 10 years and I was delighted to pick up the Majestic Rock re-issue... mostly because of the last song, 'City Girl' - a KILLER bonus track, as good as anything on the CD, which is pretty much all excellent. Delighted to have this back.

I just got the 'Pettology' Box set last week, with 'Lettin' Loose' 'Rock Ain't Dead' aswell as the live album plus DVD. Nice package that only cost me £10. It is a great disc and definitely their best one, although 'Lettin' Loose' does have it's moments too.

Nice. I want to get 'Lettin' Loose' too. As you say, not near as good as 'Rock ain't dead' but a fine album nevertheless. What about the third one which was shelved and then released later? 'Big Bang'. Is that available in re-issue form?

I think 'Big Bang' was a Jap only and still goes for quite high prices. They have another 'Prodigal Sons' on Majestic rock which I haven't heard.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Demure - s/t ; Great disc. Instantly one of my faves from Retrospect and I'm a bit puzzled why I haven't really seen this mentioned before. Great commercial rock with a really cool sound. A couple of fillers, but for the most part this is a great disc.

Heavy Pettin' - 'Rock ain't dead' ; this isn't the first time I've heard it... well, most of it. I owned this CD long ago but sacrificed it for the sake of a great trade offer. Always loved it though and played the CDR often. Fast forward 10 years and I was delighted to pick up the Majestic Rock re-issue... mostly because of the last song, 'City Girl' - a KILLER bonus track, as good as anything on the CD, which is pretty much all excellent. Delighted to have this back.

I just got the 'Pettology' Box set last week, with 'Lettin' Loose' 'Rock Ain't Dead' aswell as the live album plus DVD. Nice package that only cost me £10. It is a great disc and definitely their best one, although 'Lettin' Loose' does have it's moments too.

Nice. I want to get 'Lettin' Loose' too. As you say, not near as good as 'Rock ain't dead' but a fine album nevertheless. What about the third one which was shelved and then released later? 'Big Bang'. Is that available in re-issue form?

I think 'Big Bang' was a Jap only and still goes for quite high prices. They have another 'Prodigal Sons' on Majestic rock which I haven't heard.

I stand corrected, 'Big Bang' was released on FM Revolver label

'Prodigal Songs' is pretty good, if not a little patchy. If I recall correctly there are a few out of place songs and production/sound quality varies. I can't remember too well, though. I would like to own that and 'Big Bang' (especially) on CD.

Creighton Doane - learning more and more....

First impression = ahhh ive never heard this guys vocals even in the background of HS before! pop punkish vibe. Not a bad album, esp if your into the CHeap Trick, Enuff Znuff, Beatleesque power pop vibe.... but not much Harem Scarem influences here...

Bon Jovi - lost highway

One of the most boring albums ive ever heard! Im a fan of Bounce, Have a nice day, and even some of Crush.... and this thing just.... well... theres nothing on it at all worth keeping!

Btw, does anyone know what Bon Jovi song is in the end credit for Road Hogs, or Wild Hogs or whatever that move was called with Tim Allen and Travolta?

Street Legal - Bite the Bullet

Some nice melodic songs with a great mix of Thin Lizzy and Whitesnake. Not every song is perfect but I'm really enjoying this one so far and the musicianship is very good as well.

$kyhigh - Tales from the Crib

Just looking at the cover you'd never think that this would sound like it does but this has some excellent melodic rock tunes that have a huge Warrant influence throughout including the Jani like vocals. There's a great cover of the Beatles "Let it Be" too. A very good Indie cd IMO.

UZI - Madhouse

A nice rocking cd from Eonian from the band from Chicago. This is by far the most heavy and nasty thing that Eonian has released so far. They kind of have a Skid Row meets GNR meets Sven Gali thing going on without really sounding exactly like any of those bands. Mixed in with the ass kicking aggressive songs they throw in a huge melodic tune "Away from my Heart" that might be one of the top songs released on this label so far. I think most hard rock fans and even some metal fans will dig this one. Again the production could be better and I wonder how awesome this would sound if these guys would of been on a big label and in a big studio.

Shake City - s/t

This might be my fav so far from Eonian. Featuring original Warrant vocalist Adam Shore this cd pretty much gives you everything you'd expect from a quality sunset strip band from the late 80's/early 90's. How this band wasn't signed in the first place is beyond me. "One Good Reason", "Game of War", Can't Get Over You", "Little Lianne", "Hot Love", "Betty Blue" and "Get it While it's Hot" are my faves for far. This disc probably has the best production of all of the Eonian releases so far as well and it features a nice write up of their band history by our own Mark Allen. :tumbsup:

Voodoo Circle - s/t

Almost what Malmsteen would sound like if David Readman was the singer but probably even better since Yngwie can't write songs these good anymore. I'm really liking this disc a lot with songs like "Desperate Heart", "Kingdom of the Blind", "We'll Never Learn", "Angels will Cry" and "Spewing Lies".

Vagabond Road - s/t

This appears to be an indie from Canada from 1993 and overall it's really solid with some really good songs but there's also a few fillers as well. If you like Melodic Hard Rock I think you'd like this disc as there's some very good tunes.

Casanova - Heroes

It might not be fair but everytime I hear a Casanova disc I automatically compare to the awesome debut and when I do that with this disc it's just pales in comparison. However this disc does have many great songs and there's really not a tune I didn't like but overall it might be to laid back for my tastes but I'll give a couple more spins before I decide for sure.

Carmen Gray - The Portrait of Carmen Gray

Solid Melodic Rock with maybe a modern touch. There's also some other influences lying underneath it all that is kind of hard to place but at least on a few songs I hear a huge Beatles influence and on I think it was the tune "Grain of Sand" there's some Zeppelin influence going on. Overall there's quite a bit to like here especially the first track "Looking for Love" but there's also a few filler tracks as well.

Powerage - Loud

An indie from 1993 that has a heavier hard rock style and that I like very much. "Ready to Rock", "No ood 4 Nothin", "Roll of the Dice", "Preacher Man" and "Backstabbin Fool" are my faves for far and appear to be the stronger songs after first listen.

WHITE WOLF - Endangered Species

Oh how I love my Canadian metal bands but this one was a HUGE let down for me. Especially because it's been on my "to get" list for a long time. After seeing the "She" video on YouTube I thought this disc would be filler free...well I was most definitely wrong. There is nothing that stands out to me no stand out tracks except for "She". I'll give it another spin; maybe it's one of those discs you need to listen to a few times to really enjoy it.

Casanova - Heroes

It might not be fair but everytime I hear a Casanova disc I automatically compare to the awesome debut and when I do that with this disc it's just pales in comparison. However this disc does have many great songs and there's really not a tune I didn't like but overall it might be to laid back for my tastes but I'll give a couple more spins before I decide for sure.

I wasn't a real big fan of Heroes either, but the first two Casanova discs are absolute fucking killer. If you like Michael Voss you have to get your hands on some Mad Max discs.

Casanova - Heroes

I wasn't a real big fan of Heroes either, but the first two Casanova discs are absolute fucking killer. If you like Michael Voss you have to get your hands on some Mad Max discs.

I've heard some Mad Max and I like what I've heard so far.

Casanova - Heroes

I've heard some Mad Max and I like what I've heard so far.

Then you must get Night Of Passion, White Sands then Stormchild IMO.

Casanova - Heroes

Oh dudes, I LOVE 'Heroes'. Man I reckon it's a great disc. Yeah, not as good as the debut but still a gem, imo.

Shake City - s/t

This might be my fav so far from Eonian. Featuring original Warrant vocalist Adam Shore this cd pretty much gives you everything you'd expect from a quality sunset strip band from the late 80's/early 90's. How this band wasn't signed in the first place is beyond me. "One Good Reason", "Game of War", Can't Get Over You", "Little Lianne", "Hot Love", "Betty Blue" and "Get it While it's Hot" are my faves for far. This disc probably has the best production of all of the Eonian releases so far as well and it features a nice write up of their band history by our own Mark Allen. :tumbsup:

Awesome news. Is that the 'Game of war' from many Warrant demos? Nice. I ordered this and UZI prematurely due to a nice juicy sale at Wishing Well. Looking forward to them. :)

Nightvision - s/t ; Another great pick-up for eu$2.72 from the MusicBuyMail sale. Surprised I've never heard of these guys before. I'd describe them as a mix of Snakes In Paradise and Seven Wishes. Good solid hard rock / metal. The only issue I have with the CD is that every song clocks in at over 5 minutes. And they really don't need too - just a lot of chorus repitition. But not to worry, it's a pretty good slab of hard rock.

Casanova - Heroes

Oh dudes, I LOVE 'Heroes'. Man I reckon it's a great disc. Yeah, not as good as the debut but still a gem, imo.

Shake City - s/t

Awesome news. Is that the 'Game of war' from many Warrant demos? Nice. I ordered this and UZI Suite prematurely due to a nice juicy sale at Wishing Well. Looking forward to them. :)

Yes it's the same "Game of War". Eric Turner. Tommy Thayer and Jamie St. James seemed to have a role in the history of Shake City.

Novak - 'Forever Endeavour' ; another eur$2.72 giveaway and another gem. Can't believe I missed this one back in 2005. Very good melodic rock album from start to end. A filler or two, but mostly great.

Novak - 'Forever Endeavour' ; another eur$2.72 giveaway and another gem. Can't believe I missed this one back in 2005. Very good melodic rock album from start to end. A filler or two, but mostly great.

that thing bored me...

Now you know how we all feel mate ;)

The Novak is a great little disc. As Geoff says, a couple of fillers, but otherwise solid all the way.

that thing bored me...

Oh man, you beat me to it. It was sitting there, just waiting to be said. So further to that, I'll just say that you suck, Matt. Seriously, you really do.

The Novak is a great little disc. As Geoff says, a couple of fillers, but otherwise solid all the way.

Yep, real suprise. I thought I was keeping an eye on almost every release by 2005 and amazed it passed me by. This and Greenhouze. Though I do prefer this to Greenhouze.

Petra - 'This means war!' ; First off, it's funny to see an abum with such an aggressive title turn out to be the christian version of Drive, She Said. But that said, it's pretty good. Very fluffy, lots of keys, sparse signs of any type of bollocks, but it goes alright. I think my fave was the closer, 'Humptey Dumptey'. I have heard these guys' mid-90's albums and sold them all, but I think this might be the first keeper.

that thing bored me...

Oh man, you beat me to it. It was sitting there, just waiting to be said. So further to that, I'll just say that you suck, Matt. Seriously, you really do.

Yep, real suprise. I thought I was keeping an eye on almost every release by 2005 and amazed it passed me by. This and Greenhouze. Though I do prefer this to Greenhouze.

Yep that NOVAK disc is good stuff. The opening tune is almost worth the price by itself...

Petra - 'Beyond Belief' ; after the featherweight 'This means war!' this was a nice surprise. Good, decent set of balls on this one. I really liked the first 4 tracks, the ballad 'Love' is terrible, and then 'Underground' is excellent too. After that, though, the CD falls off quite a bit. A couple more okay songs, but the second half seems far stronger in message and far weaker in songs. Still, a definite keeper and a pretty damn fine disc. Would be keen to hear what others they have that sound like this one.

Psudeo Echo - 'Race' ; wow, got to give props to Matty-Boo for steering me in the direction of this one. I can't tell you how many times I've avoided Psuedo Echo CDs in bargain bins (though I can't ever recall seeing this one) but I might need to revisit if they're all this good. Are they, or is this their only "rock" CD? Good, solid as hell melodic rock. I am really digging this disc. Not through it all yet but I can already tell you I like it a lot. Excellent stuff. Thanks Matty-Boo!

Danger Danger-Revolve

Damn this is good. Sounding like this could of followed up the Cockroach release and that's a good thing. It would be hard to imagine any old school D2 fan not liking this.

Lynch Mob-Smoke & Mirrors

Damn George sounds great again and Oni is doing his best Ray Gillen impression and that's a great thing. I'm just a few songs in so far but this is damn good so far and the title track sounds like this could be a lost Badlands album. Very good stuff so far.