First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Shy - S/T

After a major dip in quality after 'Excess All Areas' in the late 80's, the last 2 Shy albums were very decent AOR /Melodic rock albums, flawed admittedly, but enjoyable non the less. I nearly spat my coffeee out after listening to the opening salvo of tracks on this latest album. This band has grown some very big balls since 'Sunset And Vine' 6 years ago in every department, opener 'Land Of A Thousand Lies' and 'So Many Times' come charging out of the speakers providing ample proof of that. Another major difference here is that Tony Mills has departed (never my fave vocalist if I am truthful)) and in comes Glen Hughes soundalike Lee Small who does a phenomenal job. Joe Basketts keys are superb too and have added a bombastic sheen to the whole sound, aswell as the ever present Steve Harris, who has always been a much underrated guitarist. Songwise, check out the fantastic 'Ran Out Of Time' and 'Save Me' for a couple of absolute pearlers and 2 of the best tracks I have heard in a very long while. Other highlights include 'Only For The Night', 'Life For Me'..hell there isn't one bad tune on here at all, so just go and buy it. THE major surprise of this year without a doubt.

That settles it then, I'm going to have to get this. I can see the 'hiding your addiction' thread resurfacing soon...

:angel:

I don't quite agree with Jez on this one. I don't mind the heavier sound and the more classic rock feel, and I LOVE the vocalist. But I think the song quality is generally pretty average. Opener "Land of a Thousand Lies" is utterly awesome, better than anything on the new House of Lords album IMO, and is almost worth the entry price alone. But there isn't another song that comes close IMO. It's good solid stuff, but nothing essential.

Mmm, sorry mate, but Im with Jez. 'Ran Out Of Time' cruficies the opener IMO.

Really strong album...one or two 'only good' songs, but enough gems to warrant a purchase

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shy - S/T

After a major dip in quality after 'Excess All Areas' in the late 80's, the last 2 Shy albums were very decent AOR /Melodic rock albums, flawed admittedly, but enjoyable non the less. I nearly spat my coffeee out after listening to the opening salvo of tracks on this latest album. This band has grown some very big balls since 'Sunset And Vine' 6 years ago in every department, opener 'Land Of A Thousand Lies' and 'So Many Times' come charging out of the speakers providing ample proof of that. Another major difference here is that Tony Mills has departed (never my fave vocalist if I am truthful)) and in comes Glen Hughes soundalike Lee Small who does a phenomenal job. Joe Basketts keys are superb too and have added a bombastic sheen to the whole sound, aswell as the ever present Steve Harris, who has always been a much underrated guitarist. Songwise, check out the fantastic 'Ran Out Of Time' and 'Save Me' for a couple of absolute pearlers and 2 of the best tracks I have heard in a very long while. Other highlights include 'Only For The Night', 'Life For Me'..hell there isn't one bad tune on here at all, so just go and buy it. THE major surprise of this year without a doubt.

That settles it then, I'm going to have to get this. I can see the 'hiding your addiction' thread resurfacing soon...

:angel:

I don't quite agree with Jez on this one. I don't mind the heavier sound and the more classic rock feel, and I LOVE the vocalist. But I think the song quality is generally pretty average. Opener "Land of a Thousand Lies" is utterly awesome, better than anything on the new House of Lords album IMO, and is almost worth the entry price alone. But there isn't another song that comes close IMO. It's good solid stuff, but nothing essential.

You don't like 'Ran Out Of Time' or 'Save Me'??

STEEL PANTHER - Balls Out

Once again the music is great, just like the debut. I actually think the sound is more original this time around, not trying to imitate songs as much (ie: Fat Girl = Here I Go Again or Fuck All Night = Livin' On A Prayer). However the lyrics are still for the most part simply dirty, vulgar and crase with little humour that has a lasting effect. There are some exceptions like the 'smart' lyrics in 'Just Like Tiger Woods', 'It Won't Suck Itself' and even 'I Like Drugs'.

They are a guilty pleasure and Balls Out is easily one of the best releases of 2011. Bring on the next epic release by the legendary STEEL PANTHER. :party421::tits::masturbanana: See look what they made me do!!!

01. In The Future (no rating it's an intro...next)

02. Supersonic Sex Machine 8/10 (killer solo, great groove)

03. Just Like Tiger Woods 9/10 (probably my fav on the album, good lyrics)

04. 17 Girls In A Row 8/10

05. If You Really Really Love Me 9/10 (I love this one, funny and goofy)

06. It Won't Suck Itself 9/10 (brilliant song)

07. Tomorrow Night 9/10

08. Why Can't You Trust Me 8/10

09. That's What Girls Are For 7/10 (probably the weakest on the album)

10. Gold Digging Whore 8/10

11. I Like Drugs 9/10 (fun song, love the bit about a skinny Vince Neil)

12. Critter 8/10

13. Let Me Cum In 8/10 (bad lyrics, good music)

14. Weenie Ride 8/10 (really???? the lyrics are brutal, but again great music)

a whole bunch of new releases in the first attempt, this week's a blast, many awesome releases to strengthen the wonderful year of 2011!

DARK FOReST - Dawn of Infinity

a mixture of Iron Maiden and Rainbow (Dio-era), I quite enjoy this one, a reference from a friend of mine who claims it one of the better heavy metal release of 2011, and I tend to agree with him that this one is a great album, and also a nice cover. However, I'm not 100% into the vocal style, I think he's the weakest link, especially compared to the tight rhythm. All songs are enjoyable, no fillers at all, and some that stand higher are 'Seize The Day', 'Through A Glass Darkfly', 'The Stars My Destination', and 'Black Delta'. 80%-85% for me, a solid indie release!

DE LA CRUZ - s/t EP

This is such a magical surprise, the band released this EP freely on their web, and I hope they will manage to finish their full-length debut and launch it in a proper CD version. There are lots of 80s influences here including Ratt, Van Halen, Def Leppard, and Dokken. Best track could be 'Back To The 80s', a very cliche title, sounds like a left-over from Ratt's 'Detonator', and the second personal fave here is 'Good As It Gets'. But all five are pretty strong and this one gets an 85% from me, especially with such a splendid production.

DOOGIE WHITE - As Yet Untitled

classic rock style album, influenced by old Whitesnake, AC/DC, Dio, and Led Zeppelin. Some songs are really great, some are only good, while the rest sounds average. Highlights for me here are 'Come Taste The Band', 'Time Machine', and 'Lonely', while the weaks are 'Dreams Lie Down and Die', 'Land of The Deceiver', and 'Sea of Emotion'. 70% but potential to grow

MECCA - Undeniable

I forgot how the debut sound, but I remember it's not very special, and with this getting another perfect score from Andrew, I'm afraid it's gonna be a sloppy album, but turns out to be quite good. Of course far from perfect, but not bad at all. A mix of classic AOR and westcoast but not very jazzy, it's quite light with couple of heavier rhythm songs. I like 'Ten Lifetimes', a slower tempo with nice solo; 'I Know' which is very Toto and might be the best track; 'Deceptive Decadence', a piano driven lengthy track which reminds me of great Slamer track; and 'As I Walk Alone', very mellow and tender, smooth flowing simple westcoast piece. The production is also great. I'm thinking of 80% could be a reasonable highest rating, but it's safe in the range of 70%-80%.

RICHIE KOTZEN - 24 Hours

Didn't expect this to be good. I'm thinking of another average release by Kotzen but this one's different. A large range of genres blend, including rock, soul, funk, jazz, and blues. The vocal and guitar playing is really awesome, very soulful, and very much alive and sounds spontaneous. The second half is better, but my complain is that it has too many ballads, could be better if he can put up couple heavier songs, but perhaps this one's intended for casual rock fans.

Tracks like 'OMG', 'Get It On', or 'Love Is Blind' could be a resistance for AOR/MHR fans, but I'm okay with it, but songs like 'Bad Situation', 'I Don't Know Why', 'Tell Me That It's Easy', and 'Twist of Fate' are safe to everyone's ears. If you're okay with variety outside the comfort zone of AOR/MHR, this is an 80% from me and a must-try!

RIOT - Immortal Soul

another heavy metal blast, as strong as Dark Forest, but this one is slightly better I think, especially with Tony Moore's stronger vocal. This is 80s heavy metal, a bit speedy but still very melodic, somehow reminds me to Riot's classic era, so if you dig their older catalogues, this one's a pleaser. Vocal harmonies are awesome, production is great, and best tracks here are 'Riot', 'Still Your Man', 'Wings Are For Angels', Sins of The Father', and 'Believe'.

The second half is more hard rock while the first half is more heavy metal, no ballads in sight, but there are 2-3 midtempo tracks. Riot has achieved something big here, and I'm interested to explore more. 85%

SUN CAGED - The Lotus Effect

a 'meh' from the prog/power territory. A long duration album but lacks of interesting tracks, loaded heavy with average tracks and couple of disastrous fillers. Best here are 'Seamripper', a complex with a slight death metal pattern kicks, but still melodic and accessible; 'Tip Toe The Fault Line', DT meets Porcupine Tree type of track with high-speeding solo; and 'Parasol', an easy listening prog song. 'Shades of Hades' is the worst with a big mistake vocal effect and 'Pareidolized' is the second awful track. A disappointment and 50%-60% at best.

THE MAGNIFICENT - s/t

another surprise of this year. Reminds me slightly to Place Vendome, a melodic rock with metallic edge, the whole album is enjoyable and pretty strong with only 'Satin & Lace' is the lowest track, but not bad at all. Most songs are in the range of 80%-90% with 'Love's On The Line' and 'Lost' are getting the perfect rating. Another great songs to enjoy here are 'Holding On To Your Love', 'Memories', 'Angel', 'Tired of Dreaming', and 'Harvest Moon'. Love it, will buy it, and perhaps 85% is okay, a contender to fight to my top 25.

VAIN - Enough Rope

As expected, with many early rave previews around that's been telling me it's very 'No Respect' sounding, that's what I got from my first spin. All songs like they're made straight outta 1989-1990, and I know there are 3-4 old songs, but it's great to see them giving what the fans want and drop the ridiculous modern sounding that's been bogging many old fans mind. Loudness and Europe should learn from them I guess, but back to this album again, biggies here for me are 'Triple X', 'Enough Rope', 'Vain', and 'Worship You'. Love this one and a must-buy of course, but whether it can reach 90% above is still a question over time. It's 85% for now and safe in the top 20.

VISIONS OF ATLANTIS - Delta

My quest to search for another big prog/power album after Symphony X, Pagan's Mind, and Anubis Gate seems to stumble on this one. Female-fronted band but unfortunately lacks of great tracks. 'New Dawn' is the best with 'Twist of Fate' and 'Elegy of Existence' being the second. Couple of good tracks but the rest are passable. 65%-70% and afraid this one will quickly shuffled out from my rotation list.

a whole bunch of new releases in the first attempt, this week's a blast, many awesome releases to strengthen the wonderful year of 2011!

DARK FOReST - Dawn of Infinity

a mixture of Iron Maiden and Rainbow (Dio-era), I quite enjoy this one, a reference from a friend of mine who claims it one of the better heavy metal release of 2011, and I tend to agree with him that this one is a great album, and also a nice cover. However, I'm not 100% into the vocal style, I think he's the weakest link, especially compared to the tight rhythm. All songs are enjoyable, no fillers at all, and some that stand higher are 'Seize The Day', 'Through A Glass Darkfly', 'The Stars My Destination', and 'Black Delta'. 80%-85% for me, a solid indie release!

DE LA CRUZ - s/t EP

This is such a magical surprise, the band released this EP freely on their web, and I hope they will manage to finish their full-length debut and launch it in a proper CD version. There are lots of 80s influences here including Ratt, Van Halen, Def Leppard, and Dokken. Best track could be 'Back To The 80s', a very cliche title, sounds like a left-over from Ratt's 'Detonator', and the second personal fave here is 'Good As It Gets'. But all five are pretty strong and this one gets an 85% from me, especially with such a splendid production.

DOOGIE WHITE - As Yet Untitled

classic rock style album, influenced by old Whitesnake, AC/DC, Dio, and Led Zeppelin. Some songs are really great, some are only good, while the rest sounds average. Highlights for me here are 'Come Taste The Band', 'Time Machine', and 'Lonely', while the weaks are 'Dreams Lie Down and Die', 'Land of The Deceiver', and 'Sea of Emotion'. 70% but potential to grow

MECCA - Undeniable

I forgot how the debut sound, but I remember it's not very special, and with this getting another perfect score from Andrew, I'm afraid it's gonna be a sloppy album, but turns out to be quite good. Of course far from perfect, but not bad at all. A mix of classic AOR and westcoast but not very jazzy, it's quite light with couple of heavier rhythm songs. I like 'Ten Lifetimes', a slower tempo with nice solo; 'I Know' which is very Toto and might be the best track; 'Deceptive Decadence', a piano driven lengthy track which reminds me of great Slamer track; and 'As I Walk Alone', very mellow and tender, smooth flowing simple westcoast piece. The production is also great. I'm thinking of 80% could be a reasonable highest rating, but it's safe in the range of 70%-80%.

RICHIE KOTZEN - 24 Hours

Didn't expect this to be good. I'm thinking of another average release by Kotzen but this one's different. A large range of genres blend, including rock, soul, funk, jazz, and blues. The vocal and guitar playing is really awesome, very soulful, and very much alive and sounds spontaneous. The second half is better, but my complain is that it has too many ballads, could be better if he can put up couple heavier songs, but perhaps this one's intended for casual rock fans.

Tracks like 'OMG', 'Get It On', or 'Love Is Blind' could be a resistance for AOR/MHR fans, but I'm okay with it, but songs like 'Bad Situation', 'I Don't Know Why', 'Tell Me That It's Easy', and 'Twist of Fate' are safe to everyone's ears. If you're okay with variety outside the comfort zone of AOR/MHR, this is an 80% from me and a must-try!

RIOT - Immortal Soul

another heavy metal blast, as strong as Dark Forest, but this one is slightly better I think, especially with Tony Moore's stronger vocal. This is 80s heavy metal, a bit speedy but still very melodic, somehow reminds me to Riot's classic era, so if you dig their older catalogues, this one's a pleaser. Vocal harmonies are awesome, production is great, and best tracks here are 'Riot', 'Still Your Man', 'Wings Are For Angels', Sins of The Father', and 'Believe'.

The second half is more hard rock while the first half is more heavy metal, no ballads in sight, but there are 2-3 midtempo tracks. Riot has achieved something big here, and I'm interested to explore more. 85%

SUN CAGED - The Lotus Effect

a 'meh' from the prog/power territory. A long duration album but lacks of interesting tracks, loaded heavy with average tracks and couple of disastrous fillers. Best here are 'Seamripper', a complex with a slight death metal pattern kicks, but still melodic and accessible; 'Tip Toe The Fault Line', DT meets Porcupine Tree type of track with high-speeding solo; and 'Parasol', an easy listening prog song. 'Shades of Hades' is the worst with a big mistake vocal effect and 'Pareidolized' is the second awful track. A disappointment and 50%-60% at best.

THE MAGNIFICENT - s/t

another surprise of this year. Reminds me slightly to Place Vendome, a melodic rock with metallic edge, the whole album is enjoyable and pretty strong with only 'Satin & Lace' is the lowest track, but not bad at all. Most songs are in the range of 80%-90% with 'Love's On The Line' and 'Lost' are getting the perfect rating. Another great songs to enjoy here are 'Holding On To Your Love', 'Memories', 'Angel', 'Tired of Dreaming', and 'Harvest Moon'. Love it, will buy it, and perhaps 85% is okay, a contender to fight to my top 25.

VAIN - Enough Rope

As expected, with many early rave previews around that's been telling me it's very 'No Respect' sounding, that's what I got from my first spin. All songs like they're made straight outta 1989-1990, and I know there are 3-4 old songs, but it's great to see them giving what the fans want and drop the ridiculous modern sounding that's been bogging many old fans mind. Loudness and Europe should learn from them I guess, but back to this album again, biggies here for me are 'Triple X', 'Enough Rope', 'Vain', and 'Worship You'. Love this one and a must-buy of course, but whether it can reach 90% above is still a question over time. It's 85% for now and safe in the top 20.

VISIONS OF ATLANTIS - Delta

My quest to search for another big prog/power album after Symphony X, Pagan's Mind, and Anubis Gate seems to stumble on this one. Female-fronted band but unfortunately lacks of great tracks. 'New Dawn' is the best with 'Twist of Fate' and 'Elegy of Existence' being the second. Couple of good tracks but the rest are passable. 65%-70% and afraid this one will quickly shuffled out from my rotation list.

Mecca - Almost impossible to rate this after just one spin as there is so much going on. What is clear is the following -

1. Its better than the debut

2. Its not worth 100% (surprise surprise!)

3. The production is excellent

4. Its a big headphones / evening type disc, not rocking around the house on a Saturday afternoon

5. The playing is exquisite

6. Not all the hooks are immediate, but this a definite grower.

7. Well worth more spins

The Magnificent - great, in the main part uptempo, hard edged AOR (like a cross of Treat/Allen Lande?)...some great hooks, very little filler, brilliant solos throughout - a winner in my book.

Vain - Ive listened to this a huge number of times as I had it as promo, ive plumped for a shade under 90%. One question - what about Cindy?? Surely that ranks in the best songs for you?? awesome stuff. V strong comeback by Vain!

Yes i'm interested to give Mecca more spins, the evening-type-of-album is pretty spot on, in fact, they could be the only band who dares to try the spoken verse in the old classic Motown style lol a bold move but it works pretty fine.

Magnificent is truly magnificent, and regarding Vain, I must scratch my head here as all people seems to claim 'Cindy' is the best song while it's only okay for me, well I hope I'm listening to the same 'Cindy' but in fact, those four songs I mentioned are far better, but never know until you spin the whole thing twice :christmas:

Yes i'm interested to give Mecca more spins, the evening-type-of-album is pretty spot on, in fact, they could be the only band who dares to try the spoken verse in the old classic Motown style lol a bold move but it works pretty fine.

Magnificent is truly magnificent, and regarding Vain, I must scratch my head here as all people seems to claim 'Cindy' is the best song while it's only okay for me, well I hope I'm listening to the same 'Cindy' but in fact, those four songs I mentioned are far better, but never know until you spin the whole thing twice :christmas:

You are definitely right on The Magnificent - played that again and it is marvellous! Some real gems on here - esp Lost!! What a brilliant song!!

You are definitely right on The Magnificent - played that again and it is marvellous! Some real gems on here - esp Lost!! What a brilliant song!!

and I didn't realize until now that the singer is Michael Eriksen who's fronting Circus Maximus. Now I know where that metallic edge comes from.

Unexpectedly great, caught me by surprise.

now I'll wait to hear Talon, Strangeways, Nightwish, Alfonzetti, and Fate, could be the last five great albums of this year. Let me know what you think of it if you got samples first :popcorn:

oh and by the way, heard that Last Autumn's Dream will release their latest album, 'Nine Lives' on Dec 14th, but it's Japanese release, so don't know if the samples will be available before that. Hopefully it's a great one as well because the last two albums seem to be back on track.

Wolfpakk - s/t ; in two words ; this sucks. To expand, I just don't like it. It's a project fronted by Michael Voss and Mark Sweeney (Crystal Ball) which, on paper, sounds like a sex buffet. But it's not. It's well produced but there is an irritating presence in the mix in places which is annoying. But the songs are just so pointless. It's another heavier project kind of like those Biss albums, which also got boring quick. There's a host of guest vocalists too, but that's ugly too. Basically, Voss and Sweeney share the lead vocals on every track, plus the third party, whoever that is per track. So you're looking at about 3 different lead vocalists, at least, per track. It's really pretty shit. If it was a good hard hitting melodic hard rock disc like Crystal Ball or Casanova I'd forgive them, but the songs sound like they were thrown together in 3 minutes. Totally avoidable CD.

not an interesting week this time for a bunch of new releases, better luck next week!

BANG TANGO - Pistol Whipped In The Bible Belt

this disc was divided by two obvious sides but slightly dominated by the better tracks by 60-40 i guess. 'Bring On The World', 'Live Life', and 'Drivin' are the best tracks here I enjoy, 'Dick In The System', 'Suck It Up', and 'Boom Box Seance' are the other good tracks, while 'Our Way' is a decent AC/DC style, 'Have You Seen Her' is rippin' off 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' especially on the verse, and the title track is also an okay filler. The rest are nothing bad at all, but it's too safe i think, not special.

This is intended for fans of Bang Tango, Extreme, or Electric Boys, you'll still get the funky groove with harder edge as usual, but in the end, it's just an acceptable release, nothing more nothing less. 70% and for me, buy only for less than $5-$6 bargain price.

CHRIS ANTBLAD - Century

a MR.com release, lite AOR with poppy touch, reminds me a bit of 7th Heaven, only it's lighter. The production is pretty good, and a harmless disc to play in your family car. Thirteen songs and mostly are a bit generic, a composition that you found in thousand other songs, and my fave tunes here are 'A Fire Burning', 'Get In Your Car', When Fools Rush In', 'Home For Me', 'Be Mine', and 'Living On A Lie'. Even if you don't like 5-6 songs, you'll still get 7-8 good tracks, so it's still a nice little disc to have. 75% is quite reasonable.

CHRIS OUSEY - Rhyme and Reason

i love this guy's voice, i really do, but problem is the best thing he did is Heartland and The Distance's debut, and afraid that's all. This solo disc is quite mediocre to be honest, but sounds like a grower and not an immediate album. Very mature in songwriting, production is great, and Ousey's vocal is awesome as always. Most songs are safely in the 70%-85% range with only 'To Break A Heart' is dull. Most verses are between average and weak, but the chorus are good to great, so it's exposing an imbalance in songs. I think 'Motivation', 'Give Me Shelter', 'The Reason Why', and 'By Any Other Name' are the best picks. Looks like another 75% from me and perhaps will stay that way.

D.A.D - Dic.Nii.Lan.Daft.Erd.Ark

a struggling come-back from Danish legend. Only a few outstanding tracks with many boring and passable tracks. Some songs are too modern for them and several tracks that I really like here are 'Fast On Wheels' and 'Your Lips Are Sealed'. Songs like 'The End', 'The Last Time In Neverland', or 'Can't Explain What It Means' are mistakes and shouldn't be here in the first place. A poor average release and will end up around 60% and quickly forgotten.

EVILE - Five Serpent's Teeth

a consolation prize for fans of Metallica after that disastrous 'Loutallica'. Evile hasn't sound like Metallica until today, in fact, their last album is a bit different but still not original, but this time, they even move to a closer copycat of Metallica, especially on Justice/Black album era (with a hint of aggressiveness from Slayer/Kreator). This can be a good thing and bad, but if you didn't care for originality, at least Evile provided something fun for your head to bang to. I like the title track, 'In Dreams of Terror', 'Cult', Origin of Oblivion', and 'Centurion'. The last three tracks are also fantastic and for these kind of songs, they get a solid 80% from me.

FASTWAY - Eat Dog Eat

i don't know if anyone's still interested to them at all, but for those who want to buy this, better download the samples and listen to it first because i think it's a mistake. 'Leave The Light On' is a superb track but sadly that's the single highlight of this album. 'Sick As A Dog' has great riffs and energetic, okay that's the second best tune here and 'Freedom Song' is quite good, but the rest are painfully decent and weak. Uninteresting album and 50% is me being generous.

SEALEN - Deathly Silence

nobody's probably paying attention to this, but I'm interested to check on this because I like couple of Spanish bands such as Airless and Hardreams, but afraid this one's forgottable. Sloppy production with a typical accented vocal, not really bad as he looks like had done a good effort in minimizing the accent. This is hard rock with a slight melodic touch, and most songs are in the range of 60%-75% and the highs are 'Fire & Ice', 'Desert Room', and 'Deathly Silence'. 65% at best!

TOTAL ANNIHILATION - 84

an interesting thrash band, hailing from Switzerland, this is a ferocious thrash, a mix of early Sepultura and Slayer with a vocal reminiscent of Max Cavelera. Production is great, a promising band but needs to find their own identity. 'Big Fat Lying Bastards' and '84' are awesome and 'Monster' is probably the best track here. Lack of variety is the low point and the last two tracks are bad, bringing down the total score to 70%.

Wolfpakk - s/t ; in two words ; this sucks. To expand, I just don't like it. It's a project fronted by Michael Voss and Mark Sweeney (Crystal Ball) which, on paper, sounds like a sex buffet. But it's not. It's well produced but there is an irritating presence in the mix in places which is annoying. But the songs are just so pointless. It's another heavier project kind of like those Biss albums, which also got boring quick. There's a host of guest vocalists too, but that's ugly too. Basically, Voss and Sweeney share the lead vocals on every track, plus the third party, whoever that is per track. So you're looking at about 3 different lead vocalists, at least, per track. It's really pretty shit. If it was a good hard hitting melodic hard rock disc like Crystal Ball or Casanova I'd forgive them, but the songs sound like they were thrown together in 3 minutes. Totally avoidable CD.

Ouch, Why must you hurt me? :(

Did you buy it? Don't be too down. I'm possibly being a little harsh. It's fine... just not what you'd hope for or expect from the talent involved. It's an okay heavy rock disc, though.

not an interesting week this time for a bunch of new releases, better luck next week!

this disc was divided by two obvious sides but slightly dominated by the better tracks by 60-40 i guess. 'Bring On The World', 'Live Life', and 'Drivin' are the best tracks here I enjoy, 'Dick In The System', 'Suck It Up', and 'Boom Box Seance' are the other good tracks, while 'Our Way' is a decent AC/DC style, 'Have You Seen Her' is rippin' off 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' especially on the verse, and the title track is also an okay filler. The rest are nothing bad at all, but it's too safe i think, not special.

This is intended for fans of Bang Tango, Extreme, or Electric Boys, you'll still get the funky groove with harder edge as usual, but in the end, it's just an acceptable release, nothing more nothing less. 70% and for me, buy only for less than $5-$6 bargain price.

I hate Extreme, never really got into Electric Boys... but liked this one. I think Bang Tango differ quite a bit in their funk element than the fore-mentioned 2 bands, as in they focur more on the rock element than the funk element.

Did you buy it? Don't be too down. I'm possibly being a little harsh. It's fine... just not what you'd hope for or expect from the talent involved. It's an okay heavy rock disc, though.

Voss+Sweeney= cuddles. I havnt bought it yet though.

I hate Extreme, never really got into Electric Boys... but liked this one. I think Bang Tango differ quite a bit in their funk element than the fore-mentioned 2 bands, as in they focur more on the rock element than the funk element.

on the contrary, i love Extreme, Electric Boys is the second, and Bang Tango is the last for me, so hence the lower rating. But I agree that Bang Tango is somehow heavier than the funk they possess, but the appeal isn't really much for me.

another batch of new releases

CRYSTAL PROJECT - s/t (2CD)

a Retrospect release, seems to have recorded in the 80s and just recently released. Production is a mix, quite good for old demos with several awful bad-sounding tracks, but overall acceptable. Problem is with 2CD/20 songs, the average tracks are simply too many. The first disc only have 3 great tracks but the second disc have more. Leaving out the poor tracks and combine the strong into one disc will perhaps raise this disc better to 75% from 65%.

DAUGHTRY - Break The Spell

The term 'Daughtry never disappoint' seems to be working fine in his third strike. Less-country like on the sophomore, but heavily populated by ballads, even though the ballads are pretty rockin' and not sappy. The only uptempo tune here is probably 'Renegade' and it's a great one. Followed by the second single, 'Crawling Back To You', also a great one, but I kinda feel this is similar to Avril Lavigne tune, weird huh ? 'Start of Something Good' is an acoustical power ballad which is Daughtry's best type of song, and I think it's the best here. Some other great tracks are 'Gone Too Soon', 'Losing My Mind', 'Rescue Me', and the bonus, 'Everything But Me'.

Overall a solid modern rock disc, i'm still unsure whether this is better than the second, but I do think I prefer the second slightly. A consintent disc from start to finish, although I also get the feeling that this might wear thin easily after 5 spins. The bonus tracks aren't interesting and quite weak, so if you count up the main tracks, I'll arrive at 85% with a possibility to drop to 80%.

DAYLIGHT ROBBERY - Cross Your Heart

Sounds like a modern rock band but in fact it's melodic rock with a slight metallic touch. However, with a poor production and average songs, I'm afraid this is going to shuffled out easily. Three, and only three, outstanding tunes here are 'Shame On You', 'While You Were Sleeping' (the best!), and 'She's Got Me Understood'. Okay I think there are four, 'In The Line of Fire' is pretty awesome too.

They claim to have influenced by Dokken, Van Halen, Dream Theater, Aerosmith, and Gotthard, hm yeah I found some connection but overall, the rest tracks are just uninspiring. 65%-70% at best!

HOUSTON - Relaunch

I love this album, well simply because I love Houston's debut and their classic 80s AOR style is easy on the ears. Fave tracks are 'Runaway' (Dakota), 'Brief Encounter' (Airrace), and 'Didn't We Almost Win It All' (Laura Branigan), the new song is also great, and the two acoustical renditions of 'Truth Slips' and '1.000 Songs' are magnificent. Deserved a solid 80%, might climb more, but all in all sounds like a keeper to me.

JOSEPH MAGAZINE - Night of The Red Sky

I'm impressed with this Polish prog metal outfit. They play a lengthy instrumental prog with only 2 tracks with vocal, covering from DT influences to atmospheric in the style of Riverside/Porcupine Tree. The great production for an indie release is also a bonus. Most songs are in the 80%-85% range, with only the title track getting a 75% from me, but traded-off with a sensational closing track, 'Torn Piece of The Sky'.

Not an everyday type of album, but if you invest some serious time off to concentrate on this one, they can gave you something new. Recommended for those who wants to explore a different thing outside the MHR comfort zone, and also for fans of prog rock. 80% from me!

RONNY MUNROE - Lords of The Edge

Known as the ex-singer of Metal Church, I have an initial high hopes for this one but disappointed at the end. Too average for such a brilliant singer, and I spotted only 'Just Breathe', 'Pierced By The Maiden', 'Full Circle', and 'Let Them Feed' are great while the rest are passable or not good enough to compete with these four. A mix of classic power metal and traditional heavy metal, but shame on lack of good tracks. 65%

STORMZONE - Zero To Rage

Melodic heavy metal band with a new album that I expect to be good but turns out to be worse than their prior album. Most songs are in the 65%-75% territory and only 'This Is Our Victory' is worth a 90%. Good production but somehow the drums sound are the weakest link. More than 6 tracks running over 6 minutes, that's too long I think and they seriously need to cut them to 4 minutes for a better result. 70% is okay.

WILD ROSE - Half Past Midnight

often considered a contender to White Widdow, they share a similarity in sound and style indeed. Now this album is a surprise, didn't know Greece has this gem, definitely more consistent than Outloud's new album. If you like 80s AOR with lush of keyboard, it's hard to not love this album. Most songs are in the 80%-90% range, and among my faves are 'Hold Me', 'Goodbye', 'Come Back', 'Another Shot' (the best!), and 'It's All About Love'. Though I still prefer 'Serenade' for now, I can see this one to have at least 80% for its overall rating and a good buy.

a Retrospect release, seems to have recorded in the 80s and just recently released. Production is a mix, quite good for old demos with several awful bad-sounding tracks, but overall acceptable. Problem is with 2CD/20 songs, the average tracks are simply too many. The first disc only have 3 great tracks but the second disc have more. Leaving out the poor tracks and combine the strong into one disc will perhaps raise this disc better to 75% from 65%.

Hey mate, you realise this is a few of the guys who went on to record that brilliant 'Peace' album under the band name of Raine, back in 2000? One of my favourite CDs in recent years. But yeah, there's a couple of songs on here that ended up on that album and a few not too far off that quality. I agree it's not 100% consistent and there's a lot of songs, but this came to me from nowhere and I'm stoked to hear from a band I never thought I'd hear from again... even if it's early recordings rather than new ones. :)

The term 'Daughtry never disappoint' seems to be working fine in his third strike. Less-country like on the sophomore, but heavily populated by ballads, even though the ballads are pretty rockin' and not sappy. The only uptempo tune here is probably 'Renegade' and it's a great one. Followed by the second single, 'Crawling Back To You', also a great one, but I kinda feel this is similar to Avril Lavigne tune, weird huh ? 'Start of Something Good' is an acoustical power ballad which is Daughtry's best type of song, and I think it's the best here. Some other great tracks are 'Gone Too Soon', 'Losing My Mind', 'Rescue Me', and the bonus, 'Everything But Me'.

Overall a solid modern rock disc, i'm still unsure whether this is better than the second, but I do think I prefer the second slightly. A consintent disc from start to finish, although I also get the feeling that this might wear thin easily after 5 spins. The bonus tracks aren't interesting and quite weak, so if you count up the main tracks, I'll arrive at 85% with a possibility to drop to 80%.

Sounds like another David Cook album? I think there's an all-time "rock" record of 12 ballads on that one. :lol: Still, looking forward to this one anyway, as long as the songs are good. Should hear it tomorrow...

often considered a contender to White Widdow, they share a similarity in sound and style indeed. Now this album is a surprise, didn't know Greece has this gem, definitely more consistent than Outloud's new album. If you like 80s AOR with lush of keyboard, it's hard to not love this album. Most songs are in the 80%-90% range, and among my faves are 'Hold Me', 'Goodbye', 'Come Back', 'Another Shot' (the best!), and 'It's All About Love'. Though I still prefer 'Serenade' for now, I can see this one to have at least 80% for its overall rating and a good buy.

Very keen to hear this one. One I really must check out. I have to admit, I'm a little amazed at how much that new Outloud CD did not hold up to repeated listens. :(

Daughtry is tooooooo many ballads...esp after all the 'this is gonna rock' hype. Even the bonus tracks cant save this one as they are in the most part worse than the album tracks (unlike the last CD where the bonus tracks were all stunning). The new Durbin record sounded more interesting to me.

As for Outloud, I still really like that....one of the few 'rocking' albums this year. I was just thinking the other day actually at how 2011 was missing a few more 'rock' orientated albums. Loads of AOR this year, but not much ROCK........ive missed me Crashdiet, Crazy Lixx, Pretty Maids, HSuperstar type stuff. Still a great year tho.

Hey mate, you realise this is a few of the guys who went on to record that brilliant 'Peace' album under the band name of Raine, back in 2000? One of my favourite CDs in recent years. But yeah, there's a couple of songs on here that ended up on that album and a few not too far off that quality. I agree it's not 100% consistent and there's a lot of songs, but this came to me from nowhere and I'm stoked to hear from a band I never thought I'd hear from again... even if it's early recordings rather than new ones. :)

I must admit, i have no idea about it bro and I haven't heard Raine at all, but what songs here that made to their album ?

Sounds like another David Cook album? I think there's an all-time "rock" record of 12 ballads on that one. :lol: Still, looking forward to this one anyway, as long as the songs are good. Should hear it tomorrow...

yeah sounds like Cook thing, but i think Daughtry might be better, you should check it out yourself and throw some opinions here.

Very keen to hear this one. One I really must check out. I have to admit, I'm a little amazed at how much that new Outloud CD did not hold up to repeated listens. :(

well Outloud isn't bad by any means, actually it's still a good disc but a bit inconsistent that's all.

For me, it's trapped between 75%-80% range and definitely out of my top 50.

Hey Glen, disagree that this year is less rockin' - sure there are lots of rockin' chaps, but probably there are lots that you dislike. I can name more than 20 great hard rock albums this year, beside Dynazty, Vain, Destrophy, The Magnificent, Eden's Curse, and Whitesnake, among the rest are The Poodles, Hell In The Club, Riot, Diamond Lane, Wicked Jester, Santa Cruz, King Kobra, Voodoo Circle, Victory, TNA, Underride, Sister, Mr.Big, and the list goes on and on.

2010-2011 is simply reminiscent of 1988-1989, don't u think? where you can almost grab a big fantastic album each week and an album that's going to be memorable for the next 10-20 years, that's for sure, everybody's here should have at least 20-30 new albums that they will still play in 2020-2030 :D

I don't have the Crystal Project track list with me, but off the top of my head, I think 'Rainmaker,' '2 Am (hanging out there)' and I think 'Everytime' were all on each album in some context. Some different lyrics/choruses etc on a couple of them, but still the same songs more or less. If you've not checked out 'Peace' from Raine, please do it today! :lol: Seriously, one of my top albums since the "heyday." Real classy, top quality stuff.

Just heard the Daughtry album now. Very much like the David Cook release. One ballad after another. But like I said, that doesn't phase me too much, as long as all the songs are good. And most of these are pretty damn good, even excellent in places. I think I like this one, and we'll be good friends. 'Louder than ever' stood out for me so far.

Nah, Outloud's not bad at all. Good disc, but the songs didn't hold up too well to repeated listens for me. :(

HOUSTON - Relaunch

Is this their second album? Have they run out of ideas this early on? No offence intended to anyone, as I love 80's-sounding AOR as much as the next man, but this is AWFUL. Aside from their strange choice of songs to cover, the quality of their versions are piss-poor. In a great year for melodic rock it's stuff like this that gives the genre a bad name IMO.

THE MAGNIFICENT - S/T

Holy shitballs. Where did this spring from? Massive Scandi melodic rock with a big sound (like a slightly heavier Brother Firetribe) and above all some great songs. In fact there's barely a filler, although I'm not a big fan of opener "Holding on to your Love". The 3 track combination from 2-3-4 is stunning, as are the last 4 or 5 tracks particularly. When compared to the very best of 2011 there are times - and I said the same about LOVEX - when they don't quite pair a great verse with a great chorus (i.e, the lush verses on "Smoke & Fire" deserve a chorus like on "Cheated By Love" or "Lost"), but that's being stupidly picky. AWESOME.

THE MAGNIFICENT - S/T

Holy shitballs. Where did this spring from? Massive Scandi melodic rock with a big sound (like a slightly heavier Brother Firetribe) and above all some great songs. In fact there's barely a filler, although I'm not a big fan of opener "Holding on to your Love". The 3 track combination from 2-3-4 is stunning, as are the last 4 or 5 tracks particularly. When compared to the very best of 2011 there are times - and I said the same about LOVEX - when they don't quite pair a great verse with a great chorus (i.e, the lush verses on "Smoke & Fire" deserve a chorus like on "Cheated By Love" or "Lost"), but that's being stupidly picky. AWESOME.

Yes, AWESOME Is the right word for this one !