Controversial Hard Rock Opinions

3 hours ago, martinsane said:

None of our favorite bands should have released anything after their debuts...

Haha some fans would actually like that!

3 hours ago, auslander said:

If you put together a single album with the best tracks from Use Your Illusion I & II, it is better than Appetite for Destruction.

qF6xRYCbLrnk6cLH6pzE6d.jpg

Those two albums were a filler fest. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
13 hours ago, Glen said:

Roth fronted Van Halen are completely overrated with about 10 good tracks across all albums 

I love both versions of the band, but I'm Van Hagar all the way.

• 2023 Gold Donors
8 hours ago, auslander said:

The self-titled Skid Row album is better than the critically-aclaimed Slave to the Grind, and if Skid Row had released another album like their debut instead of STTG the fall of glam metal to grunge may have been less total.

images (4).jpeg

Firstly, great thread idea.

Secondly, I have to disagree. I love "Slave to the Grind".

• Thanks 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, Crazysam said:

I completely agree, without Vince it didn't feel at all like a Crue album

"Exposed" was far more of a true Motley album. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auslander said:

If you put together a single album with the best tracks from Use Your Illusion I & II, it is better than Appetite for Destruction.

many great songs across those 2 albums. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

It would be close, but I  have to go with Appetite. 

One illusion album containing the best tracks from both would have been a killer.

Releasing two was just a money grab. As Alpha said, many fillers. 

They then hit us with "The Spaghetti Incident". Another filler filled indulgence, although, "Black Leather" is epic.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Glen said:

Van Halen are completely overrated with about 10 good tracks across all albums 

Jeez guys, you had two cracks at this and still couldn't get it right. Fixed now. 

1 hour ago, auslander said:

Ozzy Osbourne's first two solo albums were still better than the two Dio-helmed Black Sabbath albums.

Ozzy-Osbourne-Diary-of-a-Madman-Anniversary.jpg

there are 3 dio led BS albums, and 2 of them are better than Ozzy solo 

6 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I believe "Poison" are single handedly responsible for the downfall of "our music".

I really wish they had been a "none and done" band.

Rubbish, but to each their own, lol. Look at any and every single style of music and the time it enjoyed in the limelight. I think "hair metal" had a really good, long run in the limelight and far outlasted other fads like grunge, boy bands and I can't even think of what other things have come and gone since. But in the scheme of things, "hair metal" had a good run and it's foolish to think it could have lasted forever. Everything has a use-by date, and it did well. You could even look at it from another angle and suggest that the success that Poison had, and the albums they sold, helped keep the dream alive even longer than it might have without them?

10 hours ago, auslander said:

Whilst I don't agree that it would have been better than 'Appetite' I do agree that if they'd released one single album with my favourite 12 or so songs from both albums, it would have had a far greater sensory appeal. Could have been an amazing single album. I've probably thought it a million times through the years, but I really must make such an album and compile it to listen to to see what it would have sounded like in reality. 

13 hours ago, martinsane said:

None of our favorite bands should have released anything after their debuts...

lol, don't even really get this, but I definitely disagree. ;) Very few bands would I label their debut as their finest hour. Bands that debuted in 1988-1992 probably have a much better strike rate, but bands who hit the scene between 1980-1983 one and all bettered their debut. At a glance... 

14 hours ago, auslander said:

The self-titled Skid Row album is better than the critically-aclaimed Slave to the Grind, and if Skid Row had released another album like their debut instead of STTG the fall of glam metal to grunge may have been less total.

images (4).jpeg

Love both of the first two Skid Row albums and I wouldn't change them for anything and I truly don't think any album by any band could have changed what happened with grunge. However, a Skid Row album from 1987 would have been sublime. 

On 6/27/2021 at 10:21 PM, auslander said:

I'll start.

Motley Crue - Motley Crue (1994) is the best album that The Crue released. Jon Corabi is a great singer and fit the band's new, mature sound well. If the band stuck to their guns, what could have been?

images (3).jpeg

Good album with a few really great tunes, but yeah, not really a "real" Motley Crue album, and even still, couldn't rate it over the likes of classics like 'Shout at the devil' and 'Dr Feelgood.' But still a damn cool disc. 

10 hours ago, Metal T said:

Mr. Big were lame...…....Racer X were awesome though.

Missed this one, but I get the point. Mr Big are very Van Halen-ish.

You could make a great EP from all of Van Halen's best songs. You could make a full album's worth of great songs from Mr Big. A superb disc, it'd be. 

Racer X were very cool, but if I'm being totally honest there's probably more Mr Big songs that I truly like than Racer X songs. 'Sunlit night' is a monster metal ballad, though. 

Of all bands who could potentially have been huge had radio picked up on one of their choice cuts clearly recorded for radio play, I think that probably the most unlucky band was Sleez Beez, with 'This Time.' I feel like a few things go their way and they're in possession of one of the biggest radio hits of the 80's. Should genuinely have been gigantic. 

• Like 1

Ozzy Osbourne's first two solo albums were still better than the two Dio-helmed Black Sabbath albums.

Ozzy-Osbourne-Diary-of-a-Madman-Anniversary.jpg

Whoa, now this is a difficult one....love all of those releases but on reflection I'd have to agree but it is close to a deadlock for me...

8 hours ago, Geoff said:

Of all bands who could potentially have been huge had radio picked up on one of their choice cuts clearly recorded for radio play, I think that probably the most unlucky band was Sleez Beez, with 'This Time.' I feel like a few things go their way and they're in possession of one of the biggest radio hits of the 80's. Should genuinely have been gigantic. 

Sometimes it is the little things. In this case I think it was the stupid band name that held them back.

10 minutes ago, auslander said:

Sometimes it is the little things. In this case I think it was the stupid band name that held them back.

Very, very possible. Sad for them. 

On 6/28/2021 at 6:30 PM, Geoff said:

Missed this one, but I get the point. Mr Big are very Van Halen-ish.

You could make a great EP from all of Van Halen's best songs. You could make a full album's worth of great songs from Mr Big. A superb disc, it'd be. 

Racer X were very cool, but if I'm being totally honest there's probably more Mr Big songs that I truly like than Racer X songs. 'Sunlit night' is a monster metal ballad, though. 

On 6/28/2021 at 11:59 AM, AlphaMale said:

They should've never called that MC imo.

I agree, in hindsight, but in the end it probably wouldn't have mattered, would still have been seen as Motley with Corabi.
I love the album and I love Vince's stuff.
Recently finally gave a few listens to Corabi with Dead Daisies, and that is a better album that MC I would say, song wise.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 12:23 PM, auslander said:

Easily