Controversial Hard Rock Opinions

just in respect of some comments above:

Queen : the studio albums are all overrated. Collectively the greatest hits is amazing. Live they were amazing with Freddie.

Rush : great musicians, mainly shit songs. 

Bon Jovi : great up to These Days, shit ever since.

Beatles : respect their place in history but don't really like any of their songs. Can't stand Paul McCartney

U2 : definitely not overrated imo but there are quite a few fillers across their albums but if you took their best 15 songs live at a gig in a small venue like Hammy Odeon it would be awesome imo. 

Oasis : are overrated and both of them are arrogant c*nts but I do like several songs off the first 2 albums 

GnR : You Could be Mine would be in my top 5 GnR songs. 

The order of importance for group members (assuming all write songs) of any hard rock band are:

1. Singer

2. Drummer

3. Guitarist 

4. Bass

*Daylight*

5. Keyboard

14 minutes ago, auslander said:

The order of importance for group members (assuming all write songs) of any hard rock band are:

1. Singer

2. Drummer

3. Guitarist 

4. Bass

*Daylight*

5. Keyboard

1. singer

2. guitarist

3,4,5. Dont care - in 'most' cases

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 7/6/2021 at 8:29 AM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Wow. You lot are playing it very safe.

Warrant made some good music post Jani? Where's the controversy in that? And then, or course, everyone is immediately sidetracked when you so much as mention Van Halen, arguing over which era was better. 

Here's an actual controversial statement: Harem Scarem's Voice of Reason is better than their debut. 

;}

IMO,Jani Lane was overrated......does that piss anyone off?

4 minutes ago, Metal T said:

IMO,Jani Lane was overrated......does that piss anyone off?

not really, I tend to agree. slightly overrated ;)

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 7/6/2021 at 4:53 PM, auslander said:

Judas Priest's Turbo album is one of their best albums despite their "fans" hating it, and it features some great, melodic songs and deserves to be in any discussion around great hard rock albums of the 80s.

images (6).jpeg

'Reckless'....the last tune on  'Turbo' was awesome.

I've heard JP nixed it being in the movie 'Top Gun'....given the success of that film along w/ the popularity of that soundtrack,they probably would have made a mint putting it on there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auslander said:

I tend to think Jani Lane was underrated and he felt like he never got the respect of other songwriters of the genre.

I agree.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, auslander said:

I tend to think Jani Lane was underrated and he felt like he never got the respect of other songwriters of the genre.

Completely agree. 99% of people who know of him just saw him as the guy who wrote 'Cherry Pie.' It's only the very vast minority that chose to dig deeper and find out what a talent he actually was. I'll be completely honest and say his was a star that burned bright and briefly, and he never emulated what he achieved with the 'Dog eat dog' album, but that is pure brilliance. Don't get me wrong, I like 'Ultraphobic' and to be honest, most of what he did but the bar was set incredibly high. 

49 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Completely agree. 99% of people who know of him just saw him as the guy who wrote 'Cherry Pie.' It's only the very vast minority that chose to dig deeper and find out what a talent he actually was. 

but you could say that about virtually every band in our beloved genre.

Does that mean they are all underrated 

• 2023 Gold Donors
20 hours ago, auslander said:

1. Singer

2. Drummer

3. Guitarist 

4. Bass

*Daylight*

5. Keyboard

I think you've gotta go with,

Singer.

Guitarist. 

Bass.

Drummer.

Keyboard. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 minutes ago, Glen said:

To a certain extent, with regards to popular culture, I reckon yes.

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Nope, 

ACDC, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, Skid Row, GNR, etc - were hardly very inspirational in the majority of their lyrical content.

Then you have others like Jani, who have stories and thoughtful and sometimes inspirational lyrics.

Iron Maiden, Butch Walker, Little Caesar, Great White, Sixx AM, Five Finger Death Punch, etc

Most bands have a few songs that have these traits, eg: Poison - Something To Believe In, Slaughter - Times They Change, etc but for the most part were just fun rock bands like the rest.

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Yes! But not by us. 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glen said:

So virtually every band in our beloved genre was known almost worldwide for a cheesy hit single with the song writing prowess of a gherkin, and all of these same bands also recorded what many class as a masterpiece, in the vein of 'Dog Eat Dog?'

No one has ever heard of 99% of the bands in our beloved genre and sure as balls 99% of people have not over-rated them either.   

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

So virtually every band in our beloved genre was known almost worldwide for a cheesy hit single with the song writing prowess of a gherkin, and all of these same bands also recorded what many class as a masterpiece, in the vein of 'Dog Eat Dog?'

No one has ever heard of 99% of the bands in our beloved genre and sure as balls 99% of people have not over-rated them either.   

ha ha, many as in the 3000 melodic mafia crew who are only only ones which have heard it.

Whether that album is a masterpiece is a personal opinion but my wife once heard April 2031 and asked why I was listening to a pile of bollocks ;)

alas I fear this would be the opinion of the mainstream as well so why I originally replied saying I agreed that he was a tiny bit overrated by our select crowd.

I like Dog Eat Dog a lot but I prefer overall Cherry Pie , except the title track of course ;)

3 hours ago, Glen said:

ha ha, many as in the 3000 melodic mafia crew who are only only ones which have heard it.

Whether that album is a masterpiece is a personal opinion but my wife once heard April 2031 and asked why I was listening to a pile of bollocks ;)

alas I fear this would be the opinion of the mainstream as well so why I originally replied saying I agreed that he was a tiny bit overrated by our select crowd.

I like Dog Eat Dog a lot but I prefer overall Cherry Pie , except the title track of course ;)

I also prefer CP over DED (for me by miles)

• Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 5:01 AM, auslander said:

Ozzy Osbourne's first two solo albums were still better than the two Dio-helmed Black Sabbath albums.

Ozzy-Osbourne-Diary-of-a-Madman-Anniversary.jpg

But man, Heaven and Hell is SOOOO good. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 3:57 AM, CureTheSane said:

Warrant made come great music post Jani.

TOTALLY agree! Robert Mason led albums are fantastic, and he is a great front man in concert.

14 hours ago, Glen said:

My wife has never heard a single song I have ever listened to and not thought it was absolute rubbish. 0. 

• Haha 3