The Defiants - Drive

Stefan

On 4/3/2023 at 2:59 PM, whiplash1972 said:

The Defiants - Hey Life

From Frontiers:

The Defiants have announced their return with a new album, their third overall, "Drive"! Formed by Paul Laine, Bruno Ravel, and Rob Marcello, who are all current or former members of popular hard rockers Danger Danger, The Defiants latest opus is yet another impeccable slice of melodic hard rock. 

Best known for being the D2 vocalist on four studio albums over the course of 12 years, Paul Laine came back to work with his former bandmates Bruno Ravel and Rob Marcello, who are the other two pillars of The DEFIANTS, for the band’s self-titled debut album in 2015. The guys reunited at the suggestion of Frontiers' President & Head of A&R, Serafino Perugino, who really wanted these current and former Danger Danger members to offer fans of that band some new music. The resulting album was pleasing not only to the D2 fans, but also to ALL the fans out there who are into the classic sound of the era from which D2 emerged.

The Defiants debut album was greeted with a great acclaim as a glorious return to the “in your face” melodic hard rock that enraptured millions of fans back in the '80s and '90s and is currently enjoying a renaissance here in the 21st century, so a follow-up album was a no-brainer. That second album, “Zokusho”, a Japanese word meaning "the sequel” or "the next chapter”, was released to critical acclaim in 2019. As a special treat on that album, Danger Danger drummer Steve West was a special guest on drums. Needless to say, "Zokusho" had all the ingredients to thrill both D2 and The Defiants fans. A BIG melodic rock album with big choruses, hooks and soaring guitars and vocals.

Now, after another four year wait between albums, The Defiants return with "Drive", perhaps their greatest musical achievement...so far.

Tracklisting:
1. Hey Life
2. Go Big Or Go Home
3. 19 Summertime
4. What Are We Waiting For
5. Miracle
6. Against The Grain
7. So Good
8. Love Doesn’t Live Here Anymore
9. Another Time, Another Place
10. The Night To Remember
11. Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me No

Line-up:
Bruno Ravel: Bass
Paul Laine: Vocals, Guitar
Rob Marcello: Guitar
Van Romaine: Drums

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

The art on that album cover gives me mixed feelings. The car and the landscape look great, but the band look awful.

lol, it's cheesy but I think they've got a good sense of humor about things. They were poking fun at themselves on the previous two album covers as well.

The song is great, as expected. Good choice for a single. Laine sounds amazing and the riff rocks hard. 

On 4/4/2023 at 5:01 AM, Glen said:

samples on Apple are great 

Checked them out and agree!

Sounding fantastic and the overall vibe feels closer to the debut to me.

I'm buying very few CD's these days as I only really buy them for the heck of it to support artists as I don't even listen to them as they basically just collect dust.  I might have to pick this one up though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Checked them out and agree!

Sounding fantastic and the overall vibe feels closer to the debut to me.

I'm buying very few CD's these days as I only really buy them for the heck of it to support artists as I don't even listen to them as they basically just collect dust.  I might have to pick this one up though.

same

• My Little Pony
On 4/6/2023 at 1:11 PM, Glen said:

both their albums are great, and this will make 3. 

That's right, Glen. After two comes three. 

On 4/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, Mafisen said:

Never understood the hype about the first album. It was good, but not fantastic. 2nd album much better and from the first single I expect another step up in quality. 

For me it was the opposite.  I've spent some time recently going back to both of their albums and for me the debut has aged better than the 2nd album.  

I guess for me the debut just holds my attention better throughout and just feel like it has more variety and more interesting songs.  The second one starts out great with the first 5 songs but kind of loses me a bit in the second half.

Both are still good though and the new one is really sounding good to me from the samples.

10 hours ago, tts42572 said:

For me it was the opposite.  I've spent some time recently going back to both of their albums and for me the debut has aged better than the 2nd album.  

I guess for me the debut just holds my attention better throughout and just feel like it has more variety and more interesting songs.  The second one starts out great with the first 5 songs but kind of loses me a bit in the second half.

Both are still good though and the new one is really sounding good to me from the samples.

For me they are A1 and A2, both great!

On 4/10/2023 at 7:09 AM, tts42572 said:

I agree with you, the debut is more consistent from start to finish. Zokusho hits the same highs but also has a couple songs that are skips for me, can't say the same about the debut.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Defiants tune.  Don't think it's available everywhere yet but is watchable from some parts of the world (or if you have a VPN).  Think it officially drops everywhere tomorrow.

Really digging this tune.  Definitely a top-down, summer vibe to this one that kind of reminds me a bit of Take Me Back from the debut.

Edited by tts42572
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tts42572 said:

New Defiants tune.  Don't think it's available everywhere yet but is watchable from some parts of the world (or if you have a VPN).  Think it officially drops everywhere tomorrow.

Really digging this tune.  Definitely a top-down, summer vibe to this one that kind of reminds me a bit of Take Me Back from the debut.

New video:

• Like 3

A lot of contemporary melodic rock/AOR bands try to capture the vibe of the '80s with themes of young love and love lost, summer, night drives through the city, etc.

Nobody does it like this band. The passion is still there for these dudes, it's clear as day.

• Like 5