Tora Tora - Bastards Of Beale

Stefan

24131361_1582592851796760_24961374889496

From Frontiers:

We are thrilled to welcome Memphis’ very own Tora Tora to the Frontiers’ family! The band will commence recording a new studio album in 2018 for a tentative release in early 2019! 

Tora Tora’s mixture of hard rock with their hometown’s legendary blues style put them in a class of their own and we were thrilled to find the band was open to creating new music. We can’t wait to hear what they have in the works for their new studio album! 

Says vocalist Anthony Corder, “TORA TORA is proud to announce we have signed with Frontiers! With a rich musical heritage and focus on quality content, we feel their company culture is the perfect fit for our project. We are excited to join some of our favorite artists and friends on their international roster. Thank you to Serafino Perugino, Mario De Riso, and Nick Tieder and our entire Frontiers’ family for this opportunity. We are looking forward to creating some great music and many good memories with all of you!”

Comments guitarist Keith Douglas, “When we first started talking about a new Tora Tora project, the biggest question for us was what it would sound like after so much time had passed since we'd written together. After just one day of collaborating, it was clear we were going to pick up right where we left off so many years ago. We have some really good songs already written as well as a ton of other cool ideas to get sorted out. Having creative freedom is a huge bonus for us. As far as the direction, it's just going to be whatever comes out. But I can tell you what has come out so far rocks as hard as anything we've ever done and lets our Memphis roots shine through. We are very excited to be working on what we feel like is going to be a very special record and just as excited to be working with Frontiers Records. Stay tuned!"

https://www.facebook.com/ToraToraBand/

• 1 year later...

New tune released.  Can't say this song is doing much for me but here it is.  Also puts me off a little being that Treat just released a song with the same title not long ago.  Couldn't somebody at Frontiers have suggested using a different title?  Or at the very least picking a different lead song?

Not bad,like others from back in the day I think we'll all agree they wont ever match their past,but for what its worth this should sound great cranked up loud through the stereo  :)

From Frontiers:

BREAKING NEWS: Tora Tora to Release New Studio Album “Bastards of Beale” on February 22, 2019. 

In 2017, Memphis rockers Tora Tora were approached by Frontiers Music Srl about recording a proper new studio album and they enthusiastically jumped at the opportunity. The resulting new album, “Bastards Of Beale,” set for release on February 22nd, brings back the magic of the band’s blues-rooted hard rock sound that gained them a loyal following upon their debut in the late ‘80s. Always a far cry from their more polished mainstream peers and more spiritually connected to blue collar hard rock, the band’s return picks up where they left off, while not sounding even the slightest bit dated.

“The first draft of this song was titled ‘Rock n Roll Ain’t Dead Yet,’ says vocalist Anthony Corder of the new single ‘Rose of Jericho.’ It began with the idea of us tapping into our passion of writing together again, and getting to create new tunes, but it also opened a floodgate of memories, of our experiences with our fans. It is about finding the things that make you happy and passionate, what drives you...music, art, friends, family, inspiration, partying...even when you feel like you may lose touch with them sometimes, they are still present.”

Guitarist Keith Douglas talks about the band getting back together and recording a proper studio album, “The last studio album we did was ‘Revolution Day’ which was recorded in ’94. It’s hard to believe that was almost 25 years ago! Music in general was in kind of a weird place at that point and our fit within our label was questionable, so we just kind of stepped away to do other things for a while. We played one show together in 2001 for a special occasion, but it was 2008 before we started playing together again semi-regularly. We had always talked about trying to do a new project and just happened to come into contact with Frontiers at the right time to make that happen. So why not now?”

“The band recorded the new album at Sam Phillips Recording in Memphis, TN,” continues Corder. “Sam is of course recognized for his work with Sun Studios and Elvis, arguably being responsible for creating “Rock and Roll”. But after Sun Studios, he moved right down the street to create Sam Phillips Recording. He wanted to be on the cutting edge of technology with recording, while having room to expand. This building has hosted too many icons to name, but a few would be Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bob Dylan, and Robert Plant. While we were there, William Bell (STAX) was visiting. We were really inspired while recording there.”

TORA TORA is an American hard rock band formed in Memphis, Tennessee in the ‘80s. The origin of the band name is a reference to the song of the same name released by Van Halen on their 1980 classic, "Women and Children First". The band got their start toughing it out in the local Memphis scene before they won a local Battle of the Bands contest that landed them some free studio time. Following this, the band recorded “To Rock To Roll”, an independently released EP. After signing with A&M Records, they recorded their debut album "Surprise! Attack" in 1989. The album charted on Billboard's Top 200 at No. 47 and featured the singles "Walkin' Shoes" and "Guilty." The single "Dancing With a Gypsy" was on the soundtrack for the hugely popular film ‘Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure’ later that year.

In 2008, all four original members reunited for some performances. One was a sold-out performance at Newby's, a local club in Memphis, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of receiving their major label recording contract. The second appearance occurred during Rocklahoma 2008 before he band played another reunion show at The New Daisy Theatre on March 7, 2009 in Memphis.

Since the reunion, TORA TORA has released three albums of unreleased material, "Before & After", "Bombs Away: The Unreleased Surprise Attack Recordings", and "Miss B. Haven': The Unreleased Wild America Recordings”. But fans were clamoring for NEW MUSIC from the band, and that is just what they will get with the release of “Bastards of Beale!”

TORA TORA Lineup:
Anthony Corder: Vocals/Background Vocals/Acoustic Guitars
Keith Douglas: Lead & Rhythm Guitars/Acoustic Guitars
Patrick Francis: Bass
John Patterson: Drums/Percussion

47098278_2014831385239569_46861291232008

Tracklisting:
1. Sons Of Zebedee
2. Giants Fall
3. Everbright
4. Silence The Sirens
5. Son Of A Prodigal Son
6. Lights Up The River
7. Let Us Be One
8. All Good Things
9. Rose Of Jericho
10. Vertigo
11. Bastards Of Beale

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Doesn't sound anything like like Walking Shoes, Guilty, Love's A Bitch, etc to me.

yeah, I'd agree neither track is as good as the three songs you mentioned, but I do think the style is similar to that earlier material which is probably why it appeals to me

5 hours ago, tts42572 said:

I liked these guys back in the day but maybe my tastes have changed as I'm just not liking these 2 new tunes at all.

Doesn't sound anything like like Walking Shoes, Guilty, Love's A Bitch, etc to me.

Agreed,I still like the new stuff and think i'll enjoy the cd but the energy of the older tracks you've mentioned isn't there that's for sure,this new song is good but I was waiting as with the previous song for it to explode into life,it just doesn't though but enjoyable all the same for me.

• 1 month later...

similar to the first two promo tracks, not bad but also not that great, I still think the style isn't far off from their early stuff, but it lacks the memorable hooks they wrote before, if I end up buying it will be out of nostalgia and wanting to support the band's efforts

1 hour ago, Crazysam said:

similar to the first two promo tracks, not bad but also not that great, I still think the style isn't far off from their early stuff, but it lacks the memorable hooks they wrote before, if I end up buying it will be out of nostalgia and wanting to support the band's efforts

Yup. I agree. Just something not quite clicking.

10 hours ago, lettard said:

Have to agree also,dont mind the new stuff but that energetic spark just isn't there.

On the evidence of the first couple of spins I'd agree. Surprise Attack in my all time top 10 and nothing they've done since close. It's great to hear some new songs from them though and certainly going to give it a good few spins. 

Didn't even get close to playing the whole thing through - rubbish stuff. It kind of has faint elements of their debut sound... but its just an old, tired and bored version of that. Very poor. 

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Didn't even get close to playing the whole thing through - rubbish stuff. It kind of has faint elements of their debut sound... but its just an old, tired and bored version of that. Very poor. 

+1.

It's been 30 years since their debut "Surprise Attack" and 27 since the follow-up "Wild America" (my fave of the two)... I don't know about you all, but I don't have the same energy I had 30 years ago either. :lol:   I think it's merely a case of the guys being a little more mellow and less "hungry" 30 years on if you will.  Still, I enjoy a handful of the songs on the disc, with Sons of Zebedee, Silence the Sirens,  Lights Up the River , and Rose of Jericho being my faves.  :drink: