Cover songs

Darkstone

Yes, again, I'm not posting a cover in the style of any genre we typically discuss here, but whatever. I love Philip Bailey. I love Phil Collins. And even though I love both Great Good Fine Ok and Panama Wedding, I never thought anyone could cover this tune justly. Thankfully, I was wrong.

I still prefer the original, but that's a great cover.

No one touches the original but that one is quite good.

• 3 months later...
  • My Little Pony

This was always one of my favourites from the album.

I had no idea it was a cover.

I've had this album for years. Still haven't listened to it, though...

• 2023 Gold Donors

https://youtu.be/mCdtfJxv6wM

Give it a spin mate. You'll love it.

"Through the years" is one of my all time favorite tracks.

https://youtu.be/mCdtfJxv6wM

Give it a spin mate. You'll love it.

"Through the years" is one of my all time favorite tracks.

Agreed, great album!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

100% I don't think a cover should stay completely true to the original. If the original is brilliant then (unless you're a cover band) what's the point in doing a copy of it? Why can't the original just be re-released? I think to do a new version it should add something different.

Hmmm, or maybe 90% I don't think it should (I guess there is a case to be made for reviving old classics for a new generation of fans with bands they can relate to).

Now I'm gonna be thinking about this for the next few hours!!!! :yikes:

Some of my favourite change it up covers where I'm not sure I could say which I prefer = :

Lacuna Coil - Depeche Mode's 'Enjoy the Silence' (Love both versions)

Merrymouth - Stone Roses' 'I am the Resurrection'

Adam Lambert - Tears for Fears' 'Mad World'

Gabrielle Aplin - Frankie goes to Hollywood 'The Power of Love'

Was just listening to Warrants version of We Will Rock You yesterday and thinking it's one of the best covers.

They completed what I always considered an incomplete song.

Ah yes, loving that Marchello cover. Guess it could be argued that they stayed true to the original in that the vocals kind of resemble James Brown's and it's kept the rock style.

Plus good argument re Warrant's cover of We will Rock You that it kind of 'completed' what felt to be an incomplete song with the original.

My 100% opinion (re not worth doing a cover unless you radically change it up) is swinging the other way.

If you take a great song (or a mediocre song) and add something to it while retaining the original sound then I can see there's a place for them.

Also, I guess if the vocals were the only thing that ruined a good song for you then it'd be worth doing a straight cover with someone else.

Then I'd started changing my mind anyway when I thought about it because maybe there is a great piece but hardly anyone's heard it because it's by an unknown but then a big name records it, or a label backs it with a new singer and it reaches the masses (like Torn which Natalie Imbruglia made big).

Plus I may never have heard Stairway to Heaven if Far Corporation hadn't covered it in the 80s because I'm a bit lazy about seeking out new music - I wait for others to do that for me or just stumble across it by chance.

Glad to discover I do change my mind sometimes. From 100% 'no' to (almost) 100% 'yes' overnight!!

I'm pretty much the same with covers.
Either do it differently, or update the hell out of it.

I've mentioned before that Radar Love is one of my favorite covers, and fits into the 'update' category

Guitars, drums, vocals. Everything is better in the White Lion version.

Of course the other category for covers is the "I don't think I ever heard that song before it was covered" category

Songs like

Mama Weer All Crazee Now

Blinded By The Light (originally Bruce Springsteen)
Torn (didn't know this was a cover until right now)
I Love Rock N Roll

Also the category "written by the artist who made it popular but originally released by another artist

Amnesty Is Granted (Sammy Hagar/Meat Loaf

Hide Your Heart (Kiss/Bonnie Tyler)

• 2023 Gold Donors

I don't know if Cyndi's version would classify as a cover seeing that this original version from 1979 was only a demo, but i was blown away recently to discover that this guy also wrote it.

For some reason, being her signature tune, i was always under the impression that she wrote it herself.

Another one that recently surprised me was this.

I always thought the "Soft Cell" version was the original.